Still keeping calm and carrying on – year 2

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Antigone
    on

Oh dear – those kinds of experiences don’t give you much confidence.
    Lynn – I just tracked down your post about your colour day. It sounds fascinating. I have always fancied doing it but became doubtful of my local practitioner because she seemed to be adding a new business every week.
    Not too sure about a great new start to the year (BSD wise) – I’ve been mostly good but there have been lapses! Nearly back to pre-xmas weight though and I’ve started running! I am surprised that it is rather enjoyable – who knew! Early days though – I’ve always been a bit skeptical about the benefits of high impact activity, but we’ll see. I have always enjoyed walking, especially long walks but I just don’t have the time in the winter. Re-reading the book for inspiration and ….carrying on!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Captainlynne – that’s exactly what I have been doing lately. I have just walked from work to a cafe in a garden centre – I would have taken the car before and can’t think why I didn’t do this before as it is only a 15 minute walk.

I also like to walk somewhere with a purpose rather than just walk to get my steps – which I have to do a lot.

Today I had an absolutely full diary – no time for any breaks – but luckily it unravelled with clients not well – which is why I am relaxing in the lovely new restaurant with my cup of coffee and reading Saturday’s ‘I’ which I haven’t had a chance to read yet.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

The tube strike today meant I got my 18000 steps in today. Like Krysia I don’t like walking for its own sake, I like to “walk with a purpose” as my first boss used to say.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I’m just the same – like walking, but need it to have a purpose.

After just 3 hours sleep last night have done nothing more strenuous than (necessary) admin, so no walking today. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow, and I’ll have had a good sleep tonight. Then I can get some walking in.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Note to self.

Do not let that nurse take blood again!

I’ve just taken the plaster off and you should see the mess she’s made of my arm!๐Ÿ˜ฑ

There’s not only a big bruise, but also a big lump!

Definitely a Monday to forget!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

JulesMaigret
    Am very impressed with your step count today.

Captainlynne – hope you get a better nights sleep tonight. The weather today isn’t very nice – hopefully it will be better tomorrow. Although there is the threat of snow later in the week.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

KrysiaD – weather tomorrow should be ok. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Hope there’s no snow until Saturday – I’m conducting a funeral on Friday morning (a burial).

• posted by Clarity50
    on

Being new to the BSD it is so encouraging to see a forum where individuals have successfully continued on the BSD. Your weight loss is amazing and it is great to see you are on to your second year. I am on week one and already I am loving the fresh food and recipes, I had not realised how much rubbish I ate.

Please keep motivating us newbies as it helps a lot

Cheers x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Clarity50

It’s been a horrible couple of days (not BSD related) and your comments brightened my day.. thank you.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Lynne

If I could I really really would….bottle up some sunshine and send it over. I am relaxing, roasting….not one for the warnings….and generally feeling a bit pleased with myself. Walking has improved out of sight, not to Cairo or Contsantinople yet but in to town a few days this week and all the way back, if I don’t take my phone I can’t call “UBBER Husband” for a lift. That wriggle room theory is paying off, since I reached where I wanted to be in October it’s within 1kg every week, never over….who knew as they say. We cracked it.

To be nice about the nurse…perhaps you look so different she was confused? Just a thought, but seriously, no excuses, I rant about our health system each and every day and feel glad to have retired.

If you want me and your fan-gang to come sort the person who was not nice just say the word girl.

Here’s to a better week next week for you, the departed is fortunate to have you send them off Friday, good choice.

Nettle

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Nettle. ๐Ÿ˜€

I’m in shock today – in a good way!

Wandered around this morning in the hope of finding something to wear. In Marks and Spencer’s some ladies were commenting that the buyers should be sacked! Needless to say I left empty handed.

I was also doing the round of charity shops. In the last one I found ….. two skirts! That might not sound very exciting or interesting. BUT they were both size 10 (I still feel I’m taking a risk even looking at that size). Not only size 10, but one was Next (knee length, patterned and floaty) while the other was Jacques Vert (fuchsia suede, midi length). AND. They both fit. AND The two together cost ยฃ3.96!!!!! Think I can call that a result ๐Ÿ˜€

My problem now is deciding which to wear tomorrow – a day conference with colleagues. Think it’ll probably be the shorter skirt. Sitting all day in suede may not be a good idea.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wow Lynn, that was a great result! I’m a big fan of charity shop bargains and often do the rounds of the local ones, in the hope of a good find – sometimes successful and sometimes not. So envious of the size 10 but you really deserve it! Not sure I’ll get there, but I’m happy to be comfortably in a 12 for now and will see where it goes from there. I know what you mean about feeling you’re taking a risk, looking a clothes you have avoided for a long time. I can’t get out of the ‘baggy-cover-all’ mind set – keep forgetting I have a waist again and no muffin tops any more.

Hope you have a good day at your conference tomorrow.

• posted by topcac
    on

Wow Lynne – fab bargains – I’m swanning around in a Hobbs coat at the moment that I picked up for a tenner! Unfortunately it’s about 3 sizes too big now!! But to get anything from Jacques Vert for less than a fiver is a victory! And Fuschia suede – it sounds amazing!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

After the difficult appointment on Monday I’d not heard from the GP so guessed the blood test results were normal. Not that I had thought otherwise. But I’d been told I could ring and get the result.

This afternoon I rang. The receptionist couldn’t access the results and said he’d get – guess who? – to ring me back. I just didn’t want to speak to that nurse so said not to worry about it.

Yes, you’ve guessed. She rang me. Yes, the nasty vampire rang me! Said she assumed I’d called about the results, checked and said in a very matter of fact way that they were normal. So my question was? What’s the HbA1c? It was 32. I just didn’t ask her to translate – I still work in the old units. But I’ve checked, and 32 equals 5.1 in old money.

So, I’ve just checked my own records. Just before I started the BSD a HbA1c in December 2015 was 9.6. April ’16 it was 5.5, and July ’16 it was 5.2. The diabetes nurse at that point said that was the lowest she’d seen at this practice. Then this current test reads 5.1! And the nasty nurse just wasn’t interested.

But I’m happy. After a few months of maintenance, eating more nuts and dairy, and the HbA1c result had dropped. *does a very happy dance*

• posted by Kimeliz
    on

Lynne, as a vicarious user of the forums for some time, I just wanted to tell you what a huge inspiration you have been to me. Not sure if horrid nurse is a bad nurse or just not a very nice person in general and sadly there are people like this in every profession. Take heart, you have been such a positive influence to so many of us and I am ready and willing to join the team to virtually harangue the nasty peep who upset you!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Lynne
    what a wonderful Hb1ac. It is truly normal – but probably lower than the majority of ‘normal’ people who don’t have diabetes if they ever were tested.

It is rather sad that the doctors and nurses in your surgery are not beating a path to your door to find out exactly how you have done this.

I am doing the same on maintenance – eating more nuts and dairy and am hoping for the same impressive results.

• posted by Natalie
    on

That is an excellent result Captainlynne! Hopefully you won’t have to deal with that nurse again for a while, and the rest of the bad week is also behind you.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks everyone. ๐Ÿ˜€

I was upset because I was very loudly and very publicly criticised for something so trivial (and basically untrue) that it should have been laughable. In fact someon spread it around the village here and folk seem to think it was funny – aimed at the person that said it, rather then me. I could have taken action that night, but knew it was out of chtracter and the person concerned has a lot of worries at the moment. But that didn’t stop me being hurt and upset, then losing lots of sleep. But I’ve had lots,of support from some colleagues and folk in the village so some good has come out of it all. And, of course, your comments and support on here.

Then, today, I was conducting a funeral. I kept a careful eye on the weather, in case it was going to snow. And it did. So I had on not one, but two, thermal vests! And wore my boots. But it was very cold and very windy at the cemetery. I have thawed out now. ๐Ÿ˜€

KrysiaD – I have offered on more than one occasion to go in to talk to the GP and/or a group of diabetics. The silence has been deafening. But a local Health Educator is hiring my hall for a ten-week course of sessions on exercise and healthy eating. Although she knows about the BSD, and supports it, she has to go with the party line because she works for the NHS. She’s just had some new training, so it will be interesting to hear what she advocates now! I might need to keep my mouth firmly shut!!!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Good to hear things are looking better – hopefully you can have a good weekend and relax.
    On the thermal vest front, that is yet another advantage of losing all the weight – you can now wear as many layers as you need to without being confused with a snowman!
    Julia

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Lynne – it is horrible when you are unfairly criticised for something completely untrue but really great that you are getting support from colleagues and folk in your village.

It has been really cold here also in East Anglia – although we haven’t had as much snow as in other parts of the country.

It will be very interesting to find out whether your local health educator’s new training has included some of the BSD guidelines – or not. If it hasn’t you might find it difficult to keep your mouth firmly shut.

Yesterday I did an interesting experiment as I have been a bit concerned that my blood sugars may not be very good if I have a very inactive day. Yesterday – because of the treacherous conditions underfoot and the huge pile of admin that I had to do – I didn’t go for any walks at all and only walked around my classes in the evening. As they were in a very small hall the walking was very limited.

I wondered if my blood sugars would be higher than normal so I did lots of blood tests and was pleased to see that they were not much higher than on a very active day. No higher than 6.8 after meals and 5.4 before bedtime and 4.8 this morning. So a really good result for such an inactive day and at least I don’t have to worry now about my blood sugars if I can’t exercise because of icy conditions underfoot.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hello

Hope you don’t mind me dropping in on this thread. There are clearly some very experience BSDers on here.

I’m only 8 days in. Just wondering when the carb cravings may stop? I’ve read so many posts where people have said that they no longer crave the carbs. Am so looking forward to that. Thanks

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Way of Life

I think it’s different for each of us. I’m an ‘all or nothing’ person so went cold turkey on giving up the carbs, and found I had to stay very low carb to reduce blood sugars. That meant that, for me, carb cravings soon disappeared.

It also helped me, certainly in the early stages, to not have the carbs in the house. Why put temptation in our way? Now, when family visit, I can have the carbs around and they just don’t appeal to me. Same when queuing in a coffee shop.

Like many of us, carbs used to make up the greater part of my food intake so I can say with certainty that if you stick with the plan, reducing your carb intake, that the cravings will go.

Hope this helps.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Thank you captainlynne

It does help. I suppose I was just after a bit of reassurance from someone who has been through it.
    Thanks for your time.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Just to echo Lynne’s comments and with a slightly different perspective.

Like Lynne I went ‘cold turkey’ as my personality doesn’t recognise the “well, one is enough” concept. I have a house with two rugby playing teenage lads who eat as a competitive sport and I do a lot of the weekend cooking. But after a couple of weeks, I could quite happily make the family pizzas, sponge puddings, staples like shepherds pie (they had a potato topping, mine was cauli) and lots of other traditionally carb rich meals and seriously they did, and do, not appeal to me. It is really weird but your total taste and preference for food types will completely change.

Also the volumes you can eat really drop. I went out for an Indian and ordered the tandoori grill and ate at best two thirds of it. In the past I’d have had the lot with starters, Naans and rice.

It is hard at the start but really all I can say is stick with it and keep drinking the water.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Thanks to you too Julesmaigret

Very reassuring. Even after 8 days I’m not craving so much but it will be a great day when I am just not bothered by the carbs.

Thanks for your time.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

JulesMaigret – I was at a residential conference last year. We chose our menus for the evening meal at breakfast time. I always crossed out the dessert and made best choices (with some alterations) for starter and main course. One evening the waiter was concerned that I had only eaten half (if that) of the meat (I think it was half a cow!!!). I told him it was lovely, but I just couldn’t eat it all. His response? ‘Oh, you must be saving room for dessert.’ You should have seen his face when I told him I wasn’t having a dessert LOL.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

When I started BSD I didn’t clear the house of carbs or particularly struggle with cravings, but in hindsight that may be because several previous diets had me severely reducing the amounts of carbs I ate for quite long periods, I also never experienced anything like carb flu or the ‘hangry’ feeling. I still have many carbs around the house and occasionally eat some of them, always counted and rarely on an 800 day, but I don’t experience any pull to eat more usually. I can think of about two occasions when I ended up over doing it on calories though, after a few different starchy foods in a day, so regard the carb monster as very much still hanging around, I am just more aware now that I need to be careful if I indulge. I know that people with type 2 usually stay in the total abstinence camp, I know that if in the future I find myself unable to control my eating with the carbs, it will be a simple matter to give them up again. As i have said before, between fasting, mindfulness and the identification of too much starchy carbs and sugar as the villain of the piece I have all the tools I need to stay this weight for the rest of my life.

• posted by Way of life
    on

Apologies for gate crashing the thread again.
    Looking for more advice from you experienced types!
    My halo slipped today …big time.
    Very annoyed. Not feeling good about it at all.
    Does anyone have any words of wisdom ?
    Thanks.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Way of life – whatever happened put it behind you, learn from it, and get back straight back on the plan.

The carbs are so addictive that reducing them can be difficult but the results are so worth it. If it was carbs, it may be an idea to get them out of the house – if they’re not there, you can’t eat them as easily.

It’s happened to most people on here, so keep on keeping on.

Hope tomorrow is a better BSD day for you.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Way of Life, yes, Captainlynne has good advice and it is really the only thing you can do — just hop back on the plan starting right now — do not try to “make up” for it, or eat less or do anything like that — there is no punishment here — just start again calmly and now, with more awareness.
    The one thing you should do is identify what derailed you — put some thought into what set you off and why you turned to food — make a plan about how you will handle that kind of problem in the future and write it down. I had to retrain my brain to think differently — I blew it over and over and I finally developed some coping strategies.
    You don’t need to be perfect — “good enough” will get you there. Just don’t don’t don’t quit!!! It can be discouraging to mess up but it can be a good learning moment and it will only ruin it all if you stop trying. Keep us posted — best wishes as you move forward!

• posted by Way of life
    on

Needed to hear all of that. Thanks for your time, both of you. Has helped immensely. My partner has been kind too and I cast my mind back to a book I read once by the SUMO (shut up and move on) guy.

I hooked it out earlier and re read the 7 points to think about when faced with a challenge. I am finding the BSD a challenge at the moment.

Most of the following have refocused my mind and after 36 hours of eating carbs again am back on track.

1. Where is this issue on a scale of 1-10 (where 10 is death)?
    2. How important will this be in six monthsโ€™ time?
    3. Is my response appropriate and effective?
    4. How can I influence or improve the situation?
    5. What can I learn from this?
    6. What will I do differently next time?
    7. What can I find thatโ€™s positive in this situation?

I feel good at the moment.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for posting the 7 points, I think most of us can use those along the way – I’ll certainly be making a note of them. Really pleased to read you have refocused and started back on the BSD immediately, rather than giving yourself permission to see the day out on the wrong track, as most of us would have done.

Hope you continue to stay positive and focused and that you will see something good when you weigh in at the end of your week.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Lynne

I’d forgotten just how addictive carbs are. I had half of a bagel over the weekend and not only did it make me grumpy but I was ‘ravenous’ within in an hour! I suppose we all forget how we used to nod off in the afternoons!

Glad to see you’re still doing well …. I do read the posts sometimes but don’t always respond . Does that make me a ‘lurker’.

Keep well.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Verano *waves*

Good to hear from you.

It’s easy to forget how bad the carbs make us feel! So many on here have reported how bad they feel if they do eat carbs now. One of my incentives is my blood tests. That, and being determined to prove to my medical professionals that this plan both works and is sustainable.

After all these months the carbs have lost their appeal fortunately.

There’s nothing wrong in slipping occasionally, but we need to learn from those mistakes and try not to repeat them.

Hope this is a better week. Oh, and if you are a lurker, so am I these days. Life is manic and I have very little time but check posts when I can, and respond when I think Imhave something to contribute. Oh, and post myself if si have something to say.

Let’s lurk together ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Lynne

I hadn’t realised, but as far as I can remember, that was the first time I’ve eaten any bread in over 6 months!!! Equally I’ve not had any rice, potatoes or pasta. So I suppose I am really sticking quite well to the ‘principles’. I have to be honest and say that I very rarely miss any of those carbs just very occasionally when my OH is eating something carby!!!

My main ‘downfalls’ are oatcakes and red wine. Also, I think I’ve become so used to ‘guessing’ the weight of food, apart from breakfast which I weigh every morning, that I’m now completely out of the habit of logging my carbs and calories.

I will start logging again.

Glad to hear you’re keeping busy hope it’s not too busy!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Verano

The past few days have been far too busy. I’m so tired I could cry. So I’m tucked up in bed, catching up on here, then hopefully getting a good sleep before an early start tomorrow. But next few days should be less busy ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Lynne – Hopefully you are less busy today and get the chance to relax a bit.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

KrysiaD – yesterday much quieter. Back to busy today. Tomorrow should be quiet – shopping and preparing for Sunday. Then on Sunday another busy day.

Monday it starts all over again. Why did I make a 9.30am appointment to see the Head at a school a few villages away? Wish it could have been later. But still …

Life at the moment seems to be one meeting after another.

Wednesdays are extra busy at the moment. Exercise and well-being class in the morning, after school club in the afternoon, then a faith tea and meeting in the evening. Leave home 9.30ish in the morning, finally home about 9.15pm. A few hours at home in between each event to catch up on phone calls and emails.

Still, keeps me out of mischief ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Lynne – your days sound really hectic – but you are right – it does keep you out of mischief.
    I love my relaxation times also but do wonder if it I enjoy these times all the more because of being busy the rest of the time.

I also wonder if it is being busy helps to keep us young – and you certainly don’t look your age. People say I don’t either. I will keep this in mind to cheer me up today as am just about to leave the house for another hectic day teaching and I would really like to sit and relax and read my newspaper instead.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks KrysiaD ๐Ÿ˜€

I don’t know if being busy keeps us young, but it keeps the little grey cells working!

For the record – since 17th December I’ve stayed between 8st 6lbs and 8st 8lbs. This has to be the longest (so far) that I’ve maintained weight loss. In the past it’s gone straight back on, with interest.

I’m not feeling deprived and can’t see myself ever going back to the old way of eating. I feel so much better, blood sugars are normal, and I can’t afford to start buying bigger clothes

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hiii CAP’N and KRYSIA xxx hope youre both enjoying yr weeknd.
    I recently read we need to keep moving to delay ageing so you two are doing well keeping so busy!
    LYNne, i am still losing after my 24 weeks on 800 cals.. lost 3lbs in the first two weeks post 24…. weighing tomoz to see if i have shaved off a little more..having 50 g carbs still but slightly more calories now..yesterday someone said i am ‘ vanishing!’
    Nice to see some new year starter folk who are delighted with the lovely big first few weeks losses!xx

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Yowzer *waves*

Great results ๐Ÿ˜€

My busy times start again later today until at least Thursday or Friday. If we need to keep busy to keep young, at this rate I’ll soon be a baby again LOL.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Lynne – I think I will be joining you and will soon be a baby again also.

Today I took some of my favourite too big stuff to a really good dressmaker to be taken in. She is 82, still does dressmaking and is superb at it, does lots of walking and is a committee member for U3A. I want to be just like her when I am 82. Not the dressmaking bit as I am rubbish at it, but the staying active and involved. At least with the BSD we have the tools to make it possible. Its quite possible I will still be teaching pilates when I am 82 – although hopefully not 6 days a week as I am now.

Have done 8K steps so far and it is so cold here in East Anglia that I have really not enjoyed the walking. The frost hasn’t lifted from the grass and the pavements today. One more walk to get over the 10K. I usually love my walking, but not today.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Don’t normally do early on Mondays but had a 9.30am meeting at a (nearly) local school. Had thought I might walk back – a long walk. But decided against it. Had to be back for another meeting and needed to be focussed.

So it was the bus and a quick trip to the supermarket for a few items in case I don’t get time later this week. Then I find out that my only (at that point) free day is no longer free – another 9.30am meeting on Thursday at another school (slightly further away than today’s school).

Should have buyout tonight but catching up on admin. Has to be done some time! Will try to stay awake to watch the new episode of NCIS at 9pm, then bed.

This past few months have been so hectic! It’s occurred to me that I’d never have done as much as I have if I’d been carrying all that weight around. Someone said to me last Wednesday that his wife had said it wasn’t me, but he said it was. Then said I was looking well. YIPPEE! He added it must have been like carrying a heavy sack on my shoulder. My response (without thinking) was that it was like carrying another person. I’m not sure how much the twins weigh. But just seen that average weight for a 9 year old is 62 pounds. I’ve lost around 105 pounds, so roughly the weight of the pair of them put together (they are very slim). There’s no way I could pick the two of them up at the same time! Funny how things suddenly register with you. Last time was trying to carry a suitcase to and from the airport! It weighed a lot less than I had lost and I really struggled to lift it on to the train.

Next trip coming soon. This time I’m only taking carry on luggage. Never negotiated the Italian railway network before so want to make life as easy as possible for myself.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Lynne – hopefully you have had some quieter days? Thinking of you. How’s the 1000 mile challenge going?
    Julia

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Julia.

Quieter days! What are they? LOL. Sometimes I feel like Worzel Gummdge, changing heads between very different tasks LOL. Some days it’s straight from one thing to another. On other days I have to try to fit in things like phone calls and paperwork as well as shopping and housework. Just had an Asda food delivery, which helps. But I do prefer to pick food myself. No time to do it next week though.

The 1000 mile challenge is going ok, thanks. Some days I walk more than others, depending on what I’m doing (and the weather!). But better weather is (hopefully) coming. Remind me – are you doing the 1000 miles? If so, how’s it going?

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi Lynne
    1000 miles going well for me but food less so recently with challenges at home (teenagers = occasional trouble!). It’s been my turn to mutter about eagles like you some weeks ago! Problem is I don’t have any health issues to help push me along the straight and narrow… but working hard at it this next four weeks.
    It was you I heard about the 1000mile challenge from, hence wondering how it was going for you with your many commitments. I have found this week harder to fit it in as I hate being out in the dark and the days are still so short up in Edinburgh… more work stuff than usual so going for a long run tomorrow.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Julia

We’re nearly neighbours! I’m near Durham. Some days are very short here too.

Because of the bus service here I’ve realised sometimes it’s easier and less stressful to walk to some meetings. Even the possibility of walking to supermarket (bus back with shopping). That’s when I have the time spare to do that!

Even just walking round the village on Wednesday, with three different things in different places with walk home in between clocked up over 2 miles. Next Wednesday there will be four things, in different places with walk home in between! But that means I’ll collect more miles towards the target.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

I am saving money buying less petrol now! Even walking to church sometimes (about 2.7 miles) as the rest of the family have bus passes for school/work so no need to take the car really. Took me some getting used to at first.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I have a bus pass. Before 9.30am on weekdays any journey only costs 50p. When/if the bus comes. Most places I need to get to are 4 or more miles away. My church is only 5 minutes walk – second shortest commute I’ve ever had!

Please log in or register to post a reply.