Still keeping calm and carrying on – year 2

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

As promised – a new clubhouse. All visitors welcome. Pull up a chair and make yourselves comfortable. Plenty of tea, coffee and sparkling mineral water available, and all food is BSD friendly.

Today I begin my second year eating the BSD way after reaching (and passing) my target. So then the target was revised – more than once. Today I weigh 8st 7lbs, having lost 7.5 stone in the past year.

A random fasting blood sugar this morning was 4.1, down from 10.9.

And now I move on, forward into year 2. Working to maintain the weight loss, slowly increasing calories but staying low carb. Sometimes, when I try introducing new foods, it works, other times not. It’s still a learning experience.

As well as this fine tuning, I’m adding other challenges (non-food) to keep me on my toes.

Looking forward to greeting friends old and new to this club room.

• posted by Verano
    on

Can I be the first to ‘pull up a chair’!

I’m looking forward to the new year because now I think I’ve experienced lots of the pitfalls so think I can do better.

My first 6months will be over in early January and the second 6 will be better especially as you’re here with your experience and guidance.

Have a good year 2.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I started on 28th June so will be 6 months in on 28th Dec, rearing to start my new years with a resolution to be diabetes drug free in the next 6 months. So already looking forward to getting back home after the festivities and eating the BSD way which I have come to love.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Wow, A 24 hour clubhouse – worldwide! We’ve all been searching for a place like this. Everyone’s welcome and the food and company is great.
    I’m currently welcoming in Lynne’s second year of the BSD, pouring a glass of sparkling mineral water and making a toast “To Lynne and her BSD success”.
    Now for some music….hmm, what to choose? It’s Christmas………..’We wish you a merry Christmas, and a Happy New (2nd) Year’.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Verano – congratulations on being our first visitor πŸ’πŸ˜€

Welcome sunshine-girl and Switzerland πŸ˜€

Glad to have company in here.

Very stressful day today, so need to chill. And sleep. But ok with food. Seems that gone are the days when a day like today led to chocolate or cream cake. With Diet Coke! But after my usual cooked breakfast, a cube of cheese mid afternoon, my evening meal was chicken and veg followed by a few blueberries and a spoonful of Greek yogurt. I’m not hungry and am now trying to wind down ready for bed.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Lovely clubhouse Lynne! I started my first attempt at BSD on 27 Dec last year so it’s nearly my one year anniversary I guess. But unlike you with your amazing consistency, I’ve done three rounds of wobbly eight week BSD and a lot of false restarts with many months of back to my bad old ways in between. Nevertheless, I weigh less than I did this time last year and I now have all the tools I need to get healthy. I’ll be getting serious again after Christmas.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Lynne

Here’s a toast to year 2. Don’t stop posting, it is such a highlight to check in and see how you are going….no pressure of course.

Again this morning I was asked by an aquaintence in the supermarket why I was buying sparkling water….it happens. We live in a place where we are proud that our town water comes from our once pristine mountain lake so I guess I look odd. If we didn’t buy the stuff the market would not stock it! I mentioned that is was part of my fizzy water – full cream diet, the more I drink the more I lose. Anyone can see its working so it gives them food for thought. 😯

When you are heading off to bed after a stressy day Lynne, somewhere in the world someone is waking up thinking how much better the world is turning thanks to BSD and the Captain’s clubhouses.

The sun is shining, the wind has abated, the Christmas shopping ticked off, I’m off out for a power walk to take in the view of the non- fizzy variety lake water just for fun.

I trust you slept well Lynne.

N

• posted by LinD49
    on

Congratulations Lynne. Thanks to the DM article and photo I reread the bsd book and am today starting my 13th week with a loss of 2 stone. Keep up the inspiring and informative blogs.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Natalie – mmmm, consistency – how about stubbornness? When I saw the early results I was very happy. Then medical professionals started to mutter about it not being sustainable etc. So that made me even more determined to stick with it. Also knowing that I had HbA1c tests due were a great incentive! Well done on weighing less than this time last year – that is an achievement! πŸ˜€πŸ’

Nettle – I sometimes think buying bottles of sparkling water is part of my exercise regime. All that weight! Love the “fizzy water – full cream diet”. Must remember that πŸ˜€LOL. I did get a little more sleep last night, thanks. But when I wake my mind is whirling with what I need to do. This morning I was already planning what I’ll be saying at a meeting in January. (One of those where you have to say things folk won’t want to hear)

Yesterday I heard my sons partner had gone to hospital. She has complex medical issues anyway, but went because she’s had a cough for 5 weeks and was coughing up blood. Late last night I heard she’s waiting for results and has been put on antibiotics. Add that to an ongoing situation here, where a well-loved member of my congregation is extremely ill with chest and heart problems (after a year where he lost both his brother and son). And his wife has been called back to get some blood tests repeated.

So I was feeling a little stressed! Sorry for the moan! Thanks for your comments, they helped.

LinD49 – thanks for those words. That was an interesting experience! It was both stressful and enjoyable, do always glad to hear when it has helped someone. Well done on your weight loss so far. Do you have much to lose?

Off soon to sort out a building surveyer πŸ˜±πŸ˜€. Then an Italian lesson this afternoon!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Weight today 8st 6lb so still happily maintaining πŸ˜€

Not been posting much because very busy, and now not very well – looks like I’ve got that virus that’s going around. Still, now got 3 days (after today) when I probably won’t go out – even if I do, I won’t be going far (no transport). Thursday is my trip to York, so saving strength (and money) for then!

Wishing every a very happy and healthy Christmas.

• posted by Roxanna
    on

Hi lynne my name isRoxanna I’ve been reading your posts for quite some time now and I’ve been really motivated by you. You lost loads of weight. And u have inspired me. I started the bsd 800 1st June and stopped after the 8 weeks from then on I tried to stick to low carb high fat and in total I lost 3 stones. I am off of all my diabetes and hypertension mess and I’m so relieved. I’m really proud of myself but there is still at least another 3 stones to lose before I come to my healthy weight target and I’m feeling like I’ve lost motivation. I really want to start 800cals again just trying to get started up again. Maybe this time. Bye for now tho

• posted by Roxanna
    on

Oh and merry Christmas to everyone

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Roxanna

You’ve done well so far. Hope you jump back in to lose the extra weight you want to lose.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well, that’s another notebook completed.

Tomorrow I’ll start recording everything in my new page-a-day diary. If I’d known at this time last year what I know now, I’d have used such a diary. But I didn’t want to waste money on something I might not keep going. So I’ve got 4 notebooks covering my BSD journey to date.

So, tomorrow my new (decorated and sparkly) diary comes into use.

Some information to be copied across (will do that shortly) then I will be recording weight and food eaten, as I have been doing all year.

Plus -.I’ve posted elsewhere that I’ve signed up for a challenge, to walk 1,000 miles in 2017. There is a progress tracker to go on my fridge door, but I’ll be recording how far I walk in my diary too. I do like to keep things together – just to see the impact of different variables. Most folk doing the challenge seem to be using Fitbits or similar. But, like I’ve kept my records on paper instead of using an app, I will be using a pedometer instead of anything more technical. I could use my iPhone to track mileage, but it’s not always on me – so, pen and paper it is.

A very happy, healthy 2017 to everyone. And great BSD success.

• posted by HeatherJane
    on

Hi Lynne and friends! What a lovely club house. Thanks for letting me squeeze in. I’m new to this way of eating. I did one week in December and was thrilled to lose five pounds. Then Christmas came and I completely reverted to my old, bad eating habits. Now I feel stuffed and sick! I am going away to Spain for a week from 7-14th January and will definitely start again on 15th but will try to do it this week before I go as well. I want to lose two stone and a lot of tummy! One hour until midnight here in England. A happy and healthy new year to you all.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Lynne – I also find it so helpful to log everything now I am on maintenance.

When you posted sometime ago that you were logging all your food on maintenance it was a ‘light bulb’ moment for me and I immediately realised why I had always failed at maintenance before. This time I really believe that I will be able to maintain this weight successfully and keep the normal blood sugars.

Your new diary sounds perfect – plenty of room to log everything.

The 1000 challenge sounds such a good idea and I am going to join it today. Just waiting for a bit of a lull in the torrential rain here to do my first walk of the day.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

How lovely to see you all on what was meant to be a flying visit to record my 1st of the month weight – have lost the recording thread and will have to have a good look for it!

Glad to see the successes and the determination continuing. I am 122 lbs this morning after a family Christmas which has included many many carb rich moments – interesting to see what still calls to me and it’s the desserts, though the roasties were also great.

But I have included most days of at least 14/16 hour fasts – only coffee in the morning and a very late lunch.

And serious sickness in the family has left me worrying and not so keen on food at some points.

But to those who wonder if they will keep their weight loss, it can be done enjoyable as Captain Lynne says, and knowing the secret of how to do it – and feel really well – is wonderful

Happy New Year to all!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

HAPPY NEW YEAR IGOR and everyone!
    Good to see you Igor…sorry to hear about the family member’s illness…hope they are improving now
    here’s to a happy healthy 2017 for us all x

• posted by Verano
    on

Nice to see you Igor! Hope 2017 is good for you.

• posted by Roxanna
    on

Thank you lynne I Ami trying but not quite getting there yet. Just wanted to know are you doing the 800 Cals?

• posted by Antigone
    on

What would we do without you Lynn? After a few weeks off BSD it is so good to see you here with your new thread. Tomorrow I will step on the scales again and then return to the fast 800…There is still tempting food and drink around but I’ll just have to deal with it. I reached 26bmi and have confidence that the BSD can get me down to where I need to be. DH is planning on joining in too! Happy new year everyone πŸ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Happy new year to friends old and new *waves*

Roxanna – I did 800 calories (and low carb) until I reached the weight I had set as my original target. Then tried to gradually increase calories (but not carbs) to maintain – but dropped another stone before seeming to settle at my current weight.

Antigone – sounds like you’re doing great. Do you still have much to lose? Glad your DH is joining you. πŸ˜€

KrysiaD – it rained here earlier but ok now. Went for a walk after church – normally would stay in, on computer, watching TV etc. Only a short walk because not feeling 100% – feeling more like a weeble! Still, more walking than I would have done. I’m counting all walking (round shops, at home, etc) and recording sheet is on fridge door. The Facebook group for the challenge seems really friendly and supportive.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Lynne – have just got back from the second walk of the day – it is cold and very wet here in East Anglia. Luckily my waterproofs are very good but my legs got very cold – will wear some thermal leggings under the waterproof trousers for my next walk.

Have done just under 9K steps so far. All walking does count and it is surprising how much walking you can do around the house and the shops.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Impressed KrysiaD πŸ˜€

I would have loved to go further today but just too wobbly.

Tomorrow, instead of muttering under my breath about being unable to leave the village because the bus runs a different route on bank holidays, I hope to walk to where the bus will be, and go,for a walk round Durham. A good night’s sleep should have me feeling better πŸ˜€ And get me away from both computer and TV. Need to get a good local map to sort out some walks in the area. Have you joined the Facebook group for the walking challenge?

• posted by LainieUK
    on

Hi Lynne

I’m doing the 1000 mile challenge as well. I’m so inspired by so many breathtaking photos. I have a large A4 diary and plan to add in photo, although I may need a separate album. I’m 51 now and my parents have health problems. I’ve finally realised that life is precious and I want to live the rest of my days, happy, healthy and active.

Lainie

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Wow Laine – there seem to be lots of us doing the 1000 mile challenge! πŸ˜€

I decided to start the BSD because I wanted to be around as long as possible for my family, in the best shape I could be. Now I’ve lost the weight its time to get more active. Because of work, I’ll be able to walk more on some days than others – but any walking is better than none. I’m completing the record chart from the magazine to record my mileage. Also logging steps and miles in my age a day diary, where I record my food intake. As a bit of fun, I found an app for my iPhone: you pick a challenge – mine is walking round Italy – enter steps or miles and it takes you on the journey of your challenge. See how it goes – might lose interest in that app!

• posted by LainieUK
    on

Hi Lynne

Yes, the challenge has really taken off hasn’t it! Such an inspired idea, a bit like BSD. Just shows that people don’t need to spend lots of money signing up to weight loss classes and programmes.

The app sounds interesting, what’s it called? I’d like to give it a go. I’m swimming to Ireland at the moment with the speedo app.

Laine xx

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Laine – it’s called World Walking.

• posted by LainieUK
    on

Thanks Lynne!

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Lynne you seem to have helped to empty the stores of the Country Walking magazine – was keen to buy it for the chart but not a copy to be had round here! Will try whsmith tomorrow as considering giving it a bash. I use apps but like the visual reminder on the fridge – keeps me accountable when thinking of opening the door!
    Julia

• posted by Roxanna
    on

Hi guys what is this challenge you guys are talking about? And I wanted to know what is the maximum weeks we can do the 800 cal as I’ve got lots of weight to lose yet.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Lynne
    Just downloaded the World Walking app, thanks for the tipπŸ˜€
    I’ve chosen to start walking from Cairo to Capetown in Africa! Over 10,000km!

I weighed in yesterday being the 1st of the month and I’m please to say that I’m still bang in my target range of 56 – 58kg at 56.8kg.

Keep on keeping on everyone, once you get the hang of this way of eating, it really is easy to lose and maintain.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Linda

Glad you liked the app. I love Italy, that’s why I decided to go for that challenge. It’s 721 miles – from Rome to Genoa, via Florence, Venice, Verona, Milan and Turin. Over 1.5 million steps!😱

Julia – the February edition of Country Walking should be in the shops in the next couple of days. The 2017 challenge is officially launched in that and it will have the chart in too. Or you could print one off the website?

Roxanna – it’s a challenge to walk 1,000 miles in the year. Like a lot of folk, I’m counting every step towards that total, but some only count their extra walks.

Details are in the Country Walking magazine (next edition out this week, officially launching the challenge for 2017) or the website is http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com

You can register on the website and there is also a Facebook group for the challenge where you can get support and advice.

The aim is to get people exercising more and there are no wrong ways to do the challenge. Walk outdoors or on treadmill, count every step or just specific extra walks (like a long country walk at weekend) etc. I think it was Avila brought the challenge to my attention on the forum, I checked it out, joined and mentioned it on here. Now there seem to be lots of BSD folk joining πŸ˜€

As a bit of fun I found an app for my iPhone that lets me walk in different countries. It’s called World Walking. You might find something on there that appeals to you.

Nearly forgot – you asked how long you can stay on 800 cals. I had lots of weight to lose and stayed on the 800 cals with low carbs for 9 months to reach my goal weight. I had no problems with it, feeling healthier than in years. There are many of us who have found the same. Hope that helps. Any,questions please ask.

• posted by Roxanna
    on

Thank you so much lynne. I was worried about that maybe it wasn’t good to do it more than 8 weeks but I lost so much weight in that time that I didn’t want to stop. I did eventually stop at 9 weeks and I have been unsuccessful at losing any more since. I thankfully havnt gained any but I have a lot to lose yet. I’m definitely starting back today. Thank u sooo much

• posted by Roxanna
    on

I got the world walking app looks really cool gonna start using it

• posted by Antigone
    on

Oh deary me..December hast cost me a10 lb gain πŸ™ Was expecting maybe 8 but hoping for less. However, I know I can soon get back on track. I am now looking to lose 24 lbs (instead of 14!) Today is day 1 of my new year re boot. I’m looking at the walking challenge, considering C25k but not started yet. I am quite active anyway so not too worried about exercise. Off work this week – I find routine helps so next week will be easier! When is you colour session Lynn?

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Antigone – it was last Thursday. Long, interesting day!

I did post about it somewhere on the forum. Check it out if you’re interested in what happened.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Hi folks. I am trying to find the Facebook group for the 1000 mile walking challenge. Can anyone help me please.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi. Try searching for ‘#walk1000miles’

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Thanks Lynne.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

I have asked to join the closed group. Managed to do 11999 steps today:-)

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Thanks Lynne re the country walking magazine – found a copy the other side of town! There was a beautiful free calendar of Mallorcan countryside in the pack too – so a bonus all round (it’s my husband’s native land and we are going there in the summer – will mow be looking for interesting walks there as well as going for the 1000 mile challenge. All this thanks to reading about you signing up to the challenge! My issue is getting out when the weather is awful. Reading about you not having space for a treadmill, it occurred to me that doing the walking Lucia-style, up and down the stairs loads of times, would also count! I have so many folk on here to thank for changing my mentality – that’s my ‘battle plan’ for fitting in the walking when the weather is too horrible for my liking! Of course if you have a bungalow that’s no use!
    Julia

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Glad you found it Julia. πŸ˜€ The calendar with mine was for birdwatchers.

Next edition due in shops on Thursday πŸ˜€

Took my life in my hands earlier to go out. Very slippy underfoot near home, but clear in Durham. When I got home it had all melted. πŸ˜€

I do live in a house, so try to do the stairs more – use upstairs toilet instead of the downstairs one!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Weight stable at 8st 7lb, give or take a pound. *happy dance*

Been trying to walk more than usual and have clocked up 15.8 miles towards the 1,000 mile challenge.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

captainlynne……….you are what I aspire to be. Slim, happy, heathy and active. Thanks for the posts.:-)

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done Lynne! Looks like you may manage a few 1000 miles this year. I’m sure I read that it was an average of 2.?? miles a week so you’re now into February!!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Verano. The guidelines for the challenge say it’s an average of 2.75 miles a day. Realistically I know there are some days when that just won’t happen so I just do what I can, when I can. In a way, its like starting the BSD. Changes to routine/habits, small goals rather than focussing on the final goal, etc. I walked to the next village to a meeting the other day, rather than wait for the bus. Enjoyed the walk and wondered why I not done it before. Admittedly there normally nothing in that village that I would go to, but the bus passes through it in the way to my preferred shopping destination of Durham. So, although I rarely have the time to walk the 7 miles to Durham, I can walk to the next village and catch the bus there. Been checking out local maps for more ideas. Looks like I may sometimes be walking to the supermarkets (4 miles) but bus back with shopping.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well … what can I say?

Yesterday was hard and someone really upset me. Result – no sleep before midnight and awake since 3.30am.

Just back from the practice nurse after being called in for blood test and blood pressure. First she called me the wrong name as I walked in. I corrected her. Then asked if I’d had an HbA1c before😱!!! At that point I asked if she’d looked at my records. She said she had, then went to look!

So, she took the blood. Then checked blood pressure. Needless to say, it was high – surprised it wasn’t higher after the last 24 hours.

Grrrrrrrrr.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Lynne

They can be stars at times, can’t they.

My GP announced that I should double my dose of Metformin, which was OK by me as I don’t take it!

I can’t help thinking that the whole primary care system would be better if they took a couple of minutes to scan the notes in advance as the time would be easily recuperated in the rest of the consultation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi JulesMaigret

My GP – who I’ve never seen – put it on my records that I was being over treated. Great – but I wasn’t on any medication!

Please log in or register to post a reply.