Starting up

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jacquiann38
    on

Hi all
    I have a question I’ve read the book and looked at the menus. I’m going for food rather than shakes as I don’t like shakes. However I’m struggling a little as I don’t like nuts at all and I can’t stand yogurt. I do cook from scratch normally. So my question is it ok doing the diet by removing these items. I’m buying the stuff in and will be calorie counting all of it. I’ve got a lot of ideas for recipes. I wanted to see if anyone out there is managing to do the diet without nuts and yogurt.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi and welcome Jacquiann38 – you can eat whatever you want on this diet EXCEPT the starchy white carbs (wont bother to list as we all know them). Look through the recipes and adjust to your own taste as long as what you add is similar to what you take away i.e. similar calories, carb, protein. My favourite diet joke is where a friend offers to get her friend something from the shop, the friend asks for a strawberry yoghurt. What if they dont have strawberry yoghurt, oh well get me anything. Friend returns and says, they didn’t have a strawberry yoghurt so I got you a steak pie.

Seriously, a good tip is to continue to eat what you normally do but without the carbs. For example, spaghetti bolognaise using courgetti or shepherds pie with a carrot and celeriac topping instead of potatoes. It works with most meals but not all, for instrance I dont like fish so I dont even consider making a fish recipe and trying to use something else.

You will get the hang of it and you sound as though you are getting organised. Good luck.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Jacquiann – feel free to adjust recipes and menus, as long as you religiously count the calories and carbs of course. I have never followed the menu plans and recipes, but always just adjusted what we would normally eat – so a protein source and veggies or salad in the evening, etc. There’s no need to be eating things you don’t like or buying in ingredients you’ll only use a couple of times. Remember to include good fats in your meal plans and to keep well hydrated.

It’s something of a learning curve at the start of the BSD, because it turns the low fat, high carb ethos on it’s head, but as sunshine-girl says, you’ll get there. Shout if you need help and do consider joining other threads – especially the weekly thread One Week At a Time, as these are populated by people who are at various points on their BSD path, so there’s a a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw on and they will offer encouragement and support too.

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Hi,
    I’m on day 8 and as of yet, no Yogurt, no nuts and no shakes. There are loads of things you can eat and if you cook from scratch you’ll be fine

• posted by Jacquiann38
    on

Thanks everyone

Please log in or register to post a reply.