Starting Tomorrow – April 1st! Any tips for a first timer welcome please! ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GreenGal
    on

I currently live abroad and am returning to the UK in June. That gives me 8 weeks to make a huge difference to my waistband, fitness, health and self-esteem. I also turn 40 at the end of the month and although I feel young at heart, I would really like to do so not feeling so out of control of my eating. I know my current weight will now more than ever start to impact my joints and my general health so I want to get it under control!
    I have not posted on a site like this before but know I need to make a commitment and need the support of like minded people to get me to my goal. I will do my best to try and give support to others too.
    I am going to start the Fast 800 tomorrow. After reading up on this site and forum I am just off to buy the book .. I will post my starting stats tomorrow and buckle up for what I know will be a hard but ultimately rewarding ride!
    Any tips/advice you can give are very welcome .. looking forward to getting to know many of you along the way down!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Welcome GreenGal. Shout up if you have any specific questions. You can also find answers by typing your question into the search engine as many questions have been raised many times. If you feel up to joining in you can jump into a Post. One good one is the weekly challenge, always called ONE WEEK AT A TIME… and the date, currently on 26th March post but a new one will start on Tuesday. Good luck.

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Excellent! Thank you sunshine-girl I hadnโ€™t noticed the search engine. Thanks for your reply itโ€™s very encouraging to know people are out there. Will join the weekly thread, great idea ๐Ÿ’ก๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

• posted by alliecat
    on

A very warm welcome to the community, GreenGal. There are 100’s of us “out there”, at all stages of the journey.
    You will be made very welcome on any of the threads, so jump in anywhere. ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope that you will find the BSD
    life changing, as many of us already have. Spring has sprung, and what better time to embrace a new lifestyle?
    The Weekly thread is a joyful, non judgemental place, and I look forward to seeing you there!

Allie

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Thank you for the warm welcome Allie, will see you there! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿผ

• posted by Cocomoon
    on

I’m starting tomorrow too! Bought the books and couldn’t put them down. Have done my meal plan for tomorrow. Just burnt my first attempt at toasted nuts and seeds! ๐Ÿ™ˆ. I can only get better! Hubby is doing it with me too, makes meal planning easier.
    Fingers crossed all goes well. Looking forward to sharing my success (fingers crossed).

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Hey Cocomoon, we can do this! I am a little nervous ๐Ÿ˜ฌ but know once I get the first few days under my belt it will help my confidence to grow. The success stories on here are really inspiring! Looking forward to posting mine and reading yours and your husbands too! ๐Ÿ’š

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome to you, too, Cocomoon! Viewing this as an adventure, rather than a period of enforced deprivation
    does make ALL the difference ๐Ÿ™‚ Before you know it, the learning curve will be conquered, and it will all become
    a part of day to day life. In the meantime, you will find that advance planning makes a big difference, so ask
    as many questions or voice all of your concerns. We are a generous, open hearted gang, and we will be there
    to help and cheer you on, and offer up commiseration when it’s necessary.. Very best wishes to you and your
    O/H!

Allie

• posted by Hefferlump
    on

Hi GreenGal! Wishing you the best of luck!! I started 2 weeks ago and have lost 5 kgs already! The thing that kept me going was remembering the stage of ketosis as my hunger pangs hit me at night time, so it was particularly hard, but knowing the scale would show me rapid results was good enough to pull through. Eggs in the morning is an absolute godsend, I was able to maximize calorie intake in the morning and just had a shake in the evening after my workout. The phenomenal thing was I was expecting to feel lethargic, but didn’t, so no changes occurred to my exercising regime which I really count on during the week. Also, make protein balls for those moments you feel desperate for something sweet. Happy health and a huge thanks Michael Mosley for this incredible insight!

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Hefferlump, thatโ€™s awesome! I am looking for the same inspiring numbers at the beginning, I know we are all different but a big loss to really encourage and spur me on would be great! So well done.. looking forward to following your future success on the forum. I am definitely an eggs girl .. I will just go off an boil some now ready for the day. I have never made protein balls though, please do let me know what recipe you use.
    I love exercise and work out daily in the week but also sit long hours at a desk so that kinda undoes the good work. I notice that you are also into exercising, I am a little concerned that I wonโ€™t be able to keep up my normal exercise routine on the 800 but you seem to be managing so I am going to follow your example and just stick to the plan. Have a great week.. I am just off to weigh in! ๐Ÿ’š

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Ok so having weighed in this morning my starting stats are as follows:
    Week 1 – 13 st 6 lbs/ 188 lbs/ 85.45 KG saying goodbye to those figures! ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿฝ
    Week 2 –
    Week 3 –
    Week 4 –
    Week 5 –
    Week 6 –
    Week 7 –
    Week 8 –

• posted by Greek Goddess
    on

Hi! Newby here as well!
    I started reading the fast 800 a few days ago and I know this is the right thing for me.
    Ready to go!

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Hey Greek Goddess, that’s super! So at least 3 of us are starting out today. Looking forward to keeping you and Cocomoon company for the duration. Hoping for some good numbers this week. Did a 4k run this morning and ate an apple for breakfast. Planning on avo and eggs for lunch, not sure about dinner yet but the recipes in the book and on the website look good. Will probably be posting regularly this week to keep myself focused and make sure I am doing things right. Have a great first day/week.. will be routing for you!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi GreenGal! Are you using one of the apps to keep track of cals. and carbs? An innocent apple has 19g of
    carbs in it ๐Ÿ™‚ All fruits are high, and most of us limit fruit to small qty. of raspberries per day.

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Allie, Whaaaaaaโ€ฆโ€ฆ thanks for the heads up.. I will definitely start using an app. I thought that apples were one of the lower carb fruits, I didn’t realise they were 19g! Cheers for that! I have MFP already downloaded. What about that one or can you recommend one that you use. Thanks a lot!!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Anytime, GreenGal! Fruit comes as quite a surprise, but it’s all part of the learning curve at first. You will
    master it in no time, and there is always help available here on the forum! Surprisingly, a simple onion contains
    more carbs than one would think, too. The apps I most often see recommended are either MFP or FatSecret. It’s
    really a matter of personal choice…both are good! Are you following the recipes in the book(s), or adapting
    your own cooking style, eliminating the bad carbs, etc? What is mentioned here with some degree of regularity
    is that users of the recipes find that the calories listed can be significantly lower than when you enter all the
    ingredients in your app! Just a little tip for all of you new members ๐Ÿ™‚ How lovely that so many are beginning
    on April 1st!

Allie

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Hi Folks,
    I just at the end of week 4 and have found the help on here invaluable. Regarding the exercise, as with everything everyone reacts differently, I was really tied and lethargic the first week but regained most of my energy within a few days. Most days i think i have more energy that before. However, I’m still getting the odd really tired day. I think I can see why this is now but am still investigating.
    Happy Monday to All

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Thanks Allie! So Iโ€™m doing a bit of a combo of following recipes and adapting my own style. For lunch Iโ€™ve had 120g avocado and 2 x eggs fried in tsp olive oil. Recorded it in MFP app. Got 300 cals/17g carbs left (aiming for under 50) as made a mistake with the cream in my coffee this am. Think I will do a recipe from the site tonight. So you recommend itโ€™s better to break down the ingredients individually and put them in the app than just take the calorie count from the site. Sorry for all the ? I really want to try and get it right to have the best first week I possibly can. Thanks again! ๐Ÿ’š

• posted by alliecat
    on

I REALLY like your style, enthusiasm and commitment, GreenGal ๐Ÿ™‚ Having a positive mindset will take you
    far. Those who see the BSD as a short period of deprivation rather than an entire lifestyle change , seem to
    have a harder time, particularly when they reach maintenance. In 14 days (but who’s counting???) I will celebrate
    my second year in maintenance, so I have been at this for awhile…Whatever you decide about using the calculations
    in the recipe section, try to be consistent. When we only have 800 calories to work with, being 150cal higher than
    we expected is significant enough to take into consideration. Setting an accurate measure of how many carbs
    you are eating is possibly even more important, but ultimately, both figures matter. Knowing the carbs each day
    allows you to make adjustments if you aren’t pleased with your losses on the scale. Think of it as your benchmark!
    I discovered after an 18 day plateau that I needed to drop my carbs down to 20g/day. That’s a pretty good in-
    dicater of insulin resistance! Not all of us need to go that low, however. It’s a complicated subject, but Gary
    Taubes book, “Why We Get Fat…and What To Do About” was instrumental to my understanding of it, and it’s
    completely compatible with the BSD. My long term friends here are rolling their eyes, I’m sure, because
    californiagirl and I are relentless in recommending it every chance we get ๐Ÿ™‚ I found the book to be life
    changing! Have a look…And keep posting. We like to celebrate all victories here!

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Allie, thanks once again for this great advice and I will get the book. I think as much positive reinforcement as possible at this stage is really important to help me reach my first round goals. Also well done for first losing but then maintaining for 2 years ..fantastic! Hope this will be me! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Skipping through the ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒทs – thanks for the exercise advice, will keep to the cal/carb limit and see how I go and not be too hasty to up them. Congrats on reaching the halfway mark too, it must feel really good. Nice job!

• posted by Happyhel35
    on

Hello I’m also brand new. Long story but i can’t commit 100%this week. I have got make all booked and paid for with dear friends, and birthdays galore. So instead I’m starting to get geared up and in the mindset to start properly next week. I am trying to eat very low carb the rest of the time until then! Good luck with your journey xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello Happy, you can certainly use this week to get yourself organised. Think about a shopping list, look through the recipe ideas, have a good idea of what you will eat and make sure you dont have any temptations around. Will see you for real next week.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Skipping through the tulips
    The tiredness you mentioned could be caused by an electrolyte imbalance. When we eat high carb our bodies store water, when we move to a low carb WoE our bodies release the water but in the process our kidneys also release electrolytes. So you need to up your intake of salt to replace the salt. Most people recommend having one of the more expensive salts like Maldon, or Pink Himalayan salt and just taking a pinch a few times a day. – Personally I just lick my finger and dip it in a packet of the pink Himalayan salt and lick it off a few times a day.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Quick question guys about MFP, can we set it to 800 calories? I am being told by the app that I need to be eating 1200?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

You can. Just ignore it and don’t click complete at the end of the day to avoid getting the hysterical OMG UR DYING message.

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Happyhel35 – yay another newbie. We need all the encouragement we can get at this stage and itโ€™s great that you joined early to pick up all the tips and get prepared for your real first week, you are gonna have a blinder! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I was nervous about screwing up this week, nervous about posting and then failing further down the road, I guess I didnโ€™t want to disappoint myself or others. But I decided not to worry about what might or might not happen and post anyway and I am so glad I did post as I think itโ€™s going to be the extra support from this forum that really helps me make it to my goal. So from one newbie to another โ€˜welcomeโ€™ and I will look forward to seeing you around the forum and to sharing our adventure ahead. ๐Ÿ’š

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Cocomoon & Greek Goddess – checking in with you guys. How’s it going? Is there anything that you have found easier/harder than you thought you would! One thing I found that helped me last night was adding some ginger juice (no sugar or sweetener, just the juice of a ginger root) to my sparkling water. It made it taste like ginger ale and it was so refreshing that it stopped me craving anything else. Phew! Thinking of you both!

• posted by alliecat
    on

What a great idea, GreenGal!

on

I do something similar with the ginger. I grate a whole root skin and all then add a pint of water, bring to simmer for a few minutes. Keep chilled in fridge and use like cordial. A squeeze of lime goes well too. I add this to my water bottle during the day. Iโ€™ve heard that it can act as a laxative so go careful to start!

• posted by GreenGal
    on

I love this idea skipping through the ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒท going to try it myself!

I am not feeling so hungry today so happy about that.. had greek yog with roast seeds for breakfast and avo/tuna salad for lunch and have 400kcal remaining for dinner so happy about that. Maybe a cheese/mushroom omelette tonight .. feel I have my menu choices more under control so happy ๐Ÿ˜€ days!

Note to self: need to drink more though!

on

Hi! Day 3, woke up feeling a bit under the weather. So this is what the keto flu is like. I hope it passes quickly!
    I โ€˜ve been watching my carbs for a while now but there was no big change on the scales. Hopefully this plan will help.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

GreenGal day 3 for me too. No real cravings or hunger which is awesome. Just one thing I need to ask is have you had any stomach bloating? I have got such a bloated belly today๐Ÿ˜ข. I had porridge as you know this morning and then I walked my fur babies came back to the electricians making a mess and then my friend came for coffee so my lunch didnโ€™t happen! Felt ok and drank water but didnโ€™t eat until 3.30 when I had bell pepper with jewelled feta (which I love, so yummy). But now I am sat down and going through threads and I feel really bloated! Anyone got any idea why. Thanks guys. Birdy๐Ÿ’ž

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Week 1 Loss 6lbs โญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธ

So my stats are 13st/182lbs/82.55KG – very happy with that! Looking forward to breaking into the 12s this week. Hope everyone has an excellent week on the scales newbies and all!

One question though. I seem to have 2 x spots in my vision that when I close my eyes appear like to white spots and when I open them are like 2 x grey patches in my vision and Iโ€™ve open and shut my eyes for the past hour and they just wonโ€™t go? Anyone had a similar experience whilst on low carb? Thanks in advance, it is a little concerning ๐Ÿ’š

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Ok, so I thought I better post again before I start receiving replies… Firstly, I am not diabetic/pre-diabetic. So I had been for a 5k run this morning, also yesterday morning and on Saturday had done a 20 min bout of HIIT. I live in a very hot, humid country and after googling it I think it was my electrolytes that were the problem as an imbalance can cause this side-effect. Even though, I already add extra salt, in this climate I think I need to be extra aware. I had a glass of rehydration salts and after an hour the dots began to shrink leaving behind an outline of where they had been and then disappeared completely.. So all good. I just now have to find out how many carbs in my rehydration drink!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning all so at the moment I have been weighing myself on a set of dial scales as thar is all I have had. I have ordered some digital Salter ones and just waiting for them to arrive. I am sure the will give me a different reading! Has anyone else done this whilst on this WOE, would be interesting to know the deficit.

So my stats so far
    4/04/2019 18 Stone 252lbs or 114.3kg
    8/04/2019 17 stone 107.9kg or 238lbs which is mental! But lovely motivation going forward.

I discarded 2inches off of my waist, although I thought it was nearly 6 but hey it is smaller than a week ago.

I am looking forward to going shopping tomorrow so I have plenty of ingredients to make different dishes, I already have a few favourites. Thanks for all your guidance once again guys. Well done Greengal so pleased for you, but sorry about your vision, I am sure it will rectify itself. From one happy Birdy๐Ÿ’ž

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Birdy that’s a stone in a week! That is wonderful and so inspiring! Well done xx

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you Greengal I canโ€™t quite believe it, I even got on and off the scales this morning three times just to make sure I read them right!๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ. I have even had my son check it too. I have enjoyed the two meals over the weekend and I am now ok with the water intake. Snacking has come down a long way as I used to snack on processed carbs all the time and never felt satisfied! But this week when I have felt the need I have gone for a very small amount of nuts or raspberries. I also found if you put the nuts in the oven and give them a roast for five/six minutes that they take on a better flavour. I have gone pistachios, pecans and hazelnuts so far but I will get some walnuts tomorrow to add to the mix. Before I would have eaten a whole packet but now I have 5/6 and I am happy. Glad you realised what your vision problem was, to get a little extra salt I have sometimes ground a little on my Handful of nuts. The guys on here have Himalayan salt is good for replacing electrolytes. Keep going Greengal we have done well. Wishing you all the luck in your second week hun.๐Ÿ’ž

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Little update my new digital scales have arrived and I donโ€™t like them at all as there is a 3lb and a quarte deficit in the wrong direction๐Ÿ˜ข. So what I want to know is does that mean I was actually 18stone 3 &1/4 pounds when I started!?!? What shall I do? Stick to the analog ones or just bite the bullet with the digital ones? A little disappointed birdy๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ˜ข

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Birdy. I think others have been confused and frustrated by scales not being universally calibrated (ie between home and GP)! Whatever the new ones say, the fact remains that you have discarded (and how!) since you started, and the new ones would have told the same story! Personally I have old style ones to weigh myself (I like to see the pointer actually moving left, and the previous readings moving to the right, and hopefully disappearing into scale oblivion in due course) – but I did invest in digital for the kitchen as “abt 4 ozs” does not cut it anymore! I don’t know if there are scales say in your local chemist which you could use to compare – best of three? But whatever the figures say, they will shift!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you 6T I must admit I like the analog but they are quite old, I will go to the one in the chemist tomorrow morning and have a check ther too. I have always had digital kitchen scales as my mum has sworn by them for years. Yes the thing is I have discarded and that is all that really matters. Have a fab day ๐Ÿ’ž

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Birdy,
    It doesn’t matter if the reading on your scales is digital or analogue, unless you spend lots and lots of money the mechanism for working out your weight is still going to be the same combination of metal levers and a spring.
    Over time the levers and spring get slightly bent out of shape and end up reading slightly less, so when you buy new scales your weight will be a little more. – This happened to a batch of people on the forum last year.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh, Birdy! In my years here I’ve read your story of the “new” scales on multiple occasions, and in EVERY case
    the new set registered 2 additional pounds! JGwen is an Engineer, and at one point she explained how
    scales work, and the reason for the discrepancy. You have still lost the same amount of weight, which ever
    set you use ๐Ÿ™‚ You’re doing great, so don’t worry!

on

Birdy , donโ€™t let the new scales stop you celebrating you huge success. As long as there numbers are heading in the right direction and your feeling good what does it matter? Out of interest, Iโ€™ve assumed that everyone weighs themselves naked( since I do) . Your local pharmacist must be very open minded๐Ÿ˜‚

• posted by Birdy76
    on

I wonโ€™t as I am still in the 17โ€™s not the 18 stones ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ˜. Oops yeah didnโ€™t think about the nakedness ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ’ž

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Ah JGwen what we do without you๐Ÿฅฐ. Thank my lovely I am still on cloud nine. It is also nearly 3pm and I am not hungry at all and that is after my dog walk. I am gradually building up my fasting hours I am loving this lifestyle and having you guys on hand you are all amazballs๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿฆœ

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Alliecat you are so right thank you ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿฆœ

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi GreenGal how are you doing, how was your one week weigh in? You might have posted it and I have missed it๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ. Hope all is well with you hun. Birdy ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿฆœ

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Hey Birdy, thanks for asking . I posted my first weeks discard earlier in this thread.. 6lbs but glad you asked again as this morning Iโ€™m another 2lb down so 8lb altogether in 9 days. Happy with that! What about you? How many have you thrown overboard? You are smashing it so far! Well done ๐Ÿฆœ ๐Ÿ’š

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Hi GreekGoddess, just thought Iโ€™d check in with you and see how itโ€™s going so far… I know you were suffering from a touch of Keto flu.. did that pass? Hope you are ok ๐Ÿ’š.
    Also Hefferlump how are you getting on .. you are into your fourth week now .. how are you doing? Your 2 weeks in 5 KG down was an inspiration for me 9 days ago at the beginning.. And now I really hope to try and match it!
    & Happyhel35 – hows it going? Looking forward to hearing from you as you tackle your first full week.. done any runs? Finding anything easier/harder than you expected?
    Cocomoon I was just thinking of you and how we started out together.. how are you doing?
    Right.. Iโ€™m off to eat my Greek yog .. ps. Iโ€™m adding a tsp of linseeds now everyday as it is keeping me โ€˜ahemโ€™ regular.. just thought I would share that little nugget with you all ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ’š

on

Hi! Well, what I thought was the keto flu turned out to be a real full blown flu. Muscle aches, runny nose, sore throat, coughing… the works! Tried to eat as carb free as possible but I must admit it has not been a good week for me. Back to eating 800 cals, low carb as of today. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Please log in or register to post a reply.