Starting Today ! Anyone with me ? (October 2017)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Macloud
    on

That’s brilliant, AngS ! I can feel your elation. I still have 9 lbs to go until my weight starts with an 11 stones, which will be the first time since my marriage in 1972. Boy, do I look forward eagerly to that day !

Keep it up !

Macloud

• posted by 2bigdave
    on

Hi All

End of week 5 today and, as predicted, a sharp 5.2 pound rise following a week off. I try to think that this just mirrors the very sharp drop in week one. Neither makes sense at a simple level. I have not taken in 18000+ extra calories in one week! (Honest!) Back on track today and should be able to maintain this for the next 2 weeks at least. There should be a sharp drop over the next few days then a steady slide downwards…

Superb effort AngS! I look forward to the day when I have finally lost your present body weight!

Keep it up every one!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Well done to you AngS. Give yourself a huge pat on the back. Another milestone for you with the end in sight.

• posted by AngS
    on

Thanks to everyone for your support and congratulations. Your comments made me feel quite emotional. To reverse my diabetes is such a big deal for me and MM says we need to lose 10% of our body weight for it to succeed. When I get to 8st 11lbs I will have done it, so only a couple more pounds to go. I will have lost a stone and, although it doesn’t sound a lot, when I only weighed 9st 11 lbs to start with, but looked fat, it makes sense. I have a very small frame and was 7st 10lbs for years, back in my 20s. I wish… lol. Thanks again to you all.x

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

2BD, it is exactly a mirror of your first week, the huge by comparison losses you saw then are due to water loss from various sources of water retention, especially the glycogen stored in your muscles and organs that is used up first when you start a low carb and low calorie diet. During the week off these stores will have been replenished and starting again with the low carb should bring equally rapid weight loss again. It isn’t fat, and it doesn’t show on measurements. I have had a couple of months ‘off’ counting and logging and still fitting into all my new clothes, even the tightest, but still weighing myself and when I hit my trigger weight of 10 pounds above my target and I started being mostly low carb again I lost 7.5 pounds in one week.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

AngS, congratulations on your first of many low blood sugar readings 😁 keep on keeping on and your diabetes will soon be a thing of the past.

• posted by AnneF
    on

Very many congrats AngS on hitting the 8stone something – so well done! You should be so proud of yourself x

• posted by AnneF
    on

And all the stuff that everyone posted about exercise and adding weight – damaged muscles and retaining water – it’s facinating! Never knew any of it – thanks – brilliant to know this stuff

• posted by 2bigdave
    on

Many thanks mixnmatch…that makes sense. It was rather what I imagined but it helps to have it spelled out. I am hoping for a sharp drop for a day or two, then a plateau but back on track for weigh in next Thursday. Thanks again for the explanation.

• posted by AngS
    on

Thanks, AnneF. Yes, I was very happy this morning. I am really going to try and keep my weight down, once I’ve finished the BSD. I don’t want my diabetes to return…

Well done everyone. More than half way through week 6. Another dinner party tomorrow evening (no carbs or alcohol for me).Onwards and downwards.

• posted by 2bigdave
    on

Hi all

Just to say that one day back on 800 calls and almost no carbs and I weighed 4.2 pounds less this morning as mixnmatch predicted. I have always thought that, if I reached my target weight then I should push down a further 7 pounds knowing that this was ‘owed’ for that first week loss and was bound to return. The hope then would be that my appetite or capacity would have reduced to aid maintenance, supported, when necessary, by 5:2. It’s great to have a plan!

• posted by Susiwantstobeslimmer
    on

Started eating less carbs a couple if weeks ago. Lost a little weight but not a lot. Also started going to gym. However it has taken years to fain this weight so won’t lose exe toy overnight, will I?

• posted by 2bigdave
    on

Hi susiwantstobeslimmer

I am sure you will receive a lot of advice in response to your posting. If you follow the Michael Mosley 800 calories a day Blood Sugar Diet as closely as possible for the suggested 8 weeks, you will find that you will lose weight much more quickly than you put it on. The greatest benefit of this diet is the early, rapid and regular weight loss which most of us have experienced. This gives great encouragement and you will see from many postings that this is really encouraging. You can make a big difference in just 8 weeks and it is not as difficult or uncomfortable as you might think! If you haven’t already, read the book and read the postings on this forum, take a deep breath and go for it!

Looking forward to hearing of your progress.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

“Official” weigh day for me, end if Week 3 and down another 3 lbs, total 13 lbs since I started BSD. For an historically slow loser, I am thrilled. I have started recording my daily weight drop as I find it so curious that it doesn’t drop off say a half lb a day 9 (which you assume is what you are truely, but instead all drops off within 1 or 2 days. For me 1 lb down 3 days ago and then 2 lbs yesterday. So odd. I would love to know what is really going on. But whatever. I will take it.

Since contemplating going on this diet I have read a lot about fasting, and of course watched MM’s Horizon program. I am considering adding in a 2-3 day water fast once a month for the health benefits, as well as extra insurance that the weight continues to come off. I assume even those on the BSD hit plateaus occasionally. I wonder if others have done this and how it went for them. Hoping some of the long time BSD maintenance folks can answer this.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Luvtcook! I have to catch up with you where I can, so just
    dropping onto this thread to congratulate you on your losses so
    far. I’m delighted for you! I think that you have an excellent plan
    for our upcoming holiday, and I’m completely intrigued by your
    menu item, sweet potato souffle. To answer your question re our
    holiday plan, nothing much is going on this year. What’s left of
    my family is spread out over the country, so it is a rare and special
    year when we have an opportunity to get together for a holiday.
    If I can find a small enough organic turkey breast at Whole Foods,
    I’m going to look for an herb inclusive method for roasting it. I
    like to saute some pancetta with the brussel sprouts, so that
    will probably part of the menu. If you have any other suggestions
    regarding vegetables, I’m all ears! I notice your generosity in posting
    recipes to the recipe suggestions here. The sausage, broccoli rabe
    looks delicious – I know that my husband would really enjoy that
    one. Your username does indeed describe you, and I very much
    look forward to reading future recipes from you. Thanks! Thank
    you kindly for your other good wishes as well. Husband doing
    quite well at the moment. As you say, you know where I live,
    drop by for a chat anytime 🙂

Enjoy this sunny Sunday. I’m in New England, Ct. to be exact.
    It’s nice to have someone in my time zone.

Allie

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Allie, you are so kind to keep up with so many threads. I know your support and that of others means a lot. Each pound is a small victory so its nice that other BSDs celebrate with you (family would soon tire of hearing about it if shared at that level).

I too am getting a oranic turkey breast from Whole Foods. They allow you to order them ahead so you are sure of getting one, but be prepared for some sticker shock. Mine at 9-10 lbs will be $40! Ouch. But plan to have them saw it in half and freeze half for a later date. The 5 lb half should be fine for my son and I and still provide leftovers (which of course is the BEST part of Thanksgiving….the work free meal you get the next day).

My menu (excluding the two carby things I will make for my brother for his sole consumption) will the the turkey and thin gravy, cauliflower gratin (Jacques Pepin’s recipe with gruyere cheese….yum), the sweet potato souffle, grean beans with shallots and walnuts, and a spinach salad with apple, walnuts and blue cheese (contibuted by my son). Low carb desserts (pecan tart with almond flour crust, and an apple tart with sugar free apricot jam glaze). Nuts nuts and more nuts is the story of the day.

And I do encourage you to try the sausage and broccoli rabe frittata. I made it for the first time this week and really loved it. The next time I am going to add 2 more eggs and a bit more cream to it as I think it could actually strech to make 4 servings instead of 2….I couldn’t finish a full half of it. My idea of what a meal needs to look like has certainly changed.

Well, off to the gym and eliptial trainer (with golden oldies rocking along on head phones)…..and the start to Week 4.

You have a great week yourself!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh, God, luvtcook, I want to take the shuttle to D.C. and find a seat
    at your table! You’ve given me some added focus, and I will spend
    the rest of this beautiful afternoon pouring over my collection of
    recipes. See you soon,

Allie

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Get on that shuttle…got an empty chair waiting for you any time!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Luvtcook – 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

Very tempting, indeed!

• posted by AnneF
    on

Great results Luvtcook and 2BD! I am continuing to maintain weight, measurement and blood sugar levels despite having friends visiting for the weekend with whom I quaffed much red wine, but despite eating out I pretty much stayed off the carbs – not at all feeling that I am missing out.

Made some bread in my bread maker using rye, buckwheat, whole wheat and oat bran filled with sunflower, pumpkin, poppy, sesame and linseeds. Delicious and ticks all the M-plan boxes.

Good luck with your Thanksgiving preparations Allicat and Luvtcook 🙂

Week 7 here we come!

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

AnneF, that bread sounds wonderful. Anxious to hear if you feel it had any impat on your weight….great news for all if the answer is no.

And good to hear that you are maintaining well with a full social life….that’s what we all hope for in the end.

• posted by Macloud
    on

Oh dear. Having read some yet more of folks’ successes and impressive resolve, I now have to let the side down (yet again) and confess publically my misspent time past this week just gone (my 12th on BSD) and especially the last 3 days away to a relative’s wedding and general cals-fest.

In short, I now find myself a full 5 lbs heavier (scales don’t ever lie .. do they ?) than last Monday. To be fair, weight reversal a bit was expected; actually heavier over the course of the week never ! But again I am philosophical and I know that I never swallowed an extra 17,500 cals, especially in one weekend. Had a good go at it, mind, entirely inadvertently of course.

But it WAS a very good do. .. and welcome diet break generally.

However, back to reality now and restart. Despite everything last week, I am still lighter than I have been for some 95% of the years since I was about 30 years old. So that is about 40 years of accumulated damage to rectify, most of which has now been achieved. No harm in putting a positive spin on it ?

Let’s see what Week 13 on the BSD brings.

Macloud

• posted by 2bigdave
    on

Hi Macloud

I took a week off with lots of ‘unavoidable’ social activities. This resulted in a gain of 5.2 pounds from 18 stone 6 pounds to 18 stone 11.2. This was from Thursday to Thursday. Today, Monday I am 6.6 pounds back down, weighing in at 18 stone 4.6. As you say, this cannot all be due to calories. I am now 1.4 pounds down on two weeks ago and, having stuck with it till this Thursday, will hopefully be down to 18 stone 4. That would mean a 2 pound loss over the 2 weeks. Basically, my bad week has cost me a week. A lesson I don’t mind (re)-learning! Get back onto bsd and all will be well.

Nil desperandum! (I hope I got that right)

2bigdave

• posted by AnneF
    on

Nil desperandum indeed 2BD, the fact that you got ‘back on the horse’ Macloud after straying from the path of righteousness (!!) shows grit and determination and like you say you have got so far already, it is sure to come down some more.

Keep on keeping on I think that is the thing 🙂

1/4 each of all of those different flours Luvtcook , plus a mix of the seeds in the bread maker on the wholewheat setting with half the recommended amount of sugar. It turned out pretty dense, but to be honest that was expected; might try more yeast next time, but tastes great and filling enough to just have one slice and not be tempted to eat the whole loaf as is uaually the case with bread of any sort, especially home made and warm!!

• posted by AnneF
    on

Even tho my aim was not to loose weight per se, but to reverse my diabeties it was still quite pleasing to see the scales come down and to look in the mirror and see a ‘skinny minny’ ! When I reached 8.5 stone I did not really want to go any lower, so I moved to the M plan. That’s easy for the cooking (and menu choices) and eating but my blood sugar levels seem to fluctuate between not diabetic and pre-diabetes levels seemingly without explanation or pattern, now I am not sticking to 800 calories. Some days I eat no bad carbs and my bloods the following morning are fine, sometimes they are not. Some days I stray and the same happens – sometimes low and sometimes higher. I can’t work it out…yet. Any veterans out there with any ideas? I have lost another 1lb this week which I wasn’t expecting, but I expect like someone said earlier (Macloud? / 2BD?) maybe loosing a couple of extra lb beyond target is good insurance! My waist remains at 25.5″ 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

AnneF I’m assuming you are doing finger prick testing. The only really accurate test for blood sugar is an HbA1c which measures you blood sugar over the previous 8 to 12 weeks, the life span of a red blood cell. Personally, unless you are using insulin, I think finger prick testing is far too random to be of any real use. It is a very rough guide but only to how your blood sugar level reacts to certain foods. That being said if your blood sugar levels are exceptionally high it could show them coming down but it’s not really a good measure.

You don’t say if you have been diagnosed with diabetes but if you haven’t then cut yourself a bit of slack and stop testing it isn’t necessary. If you have then be guided by your HbA1c.

• posted by AnneF
    on

Yes Verano that’s exactly what I am doing…first thing every morning.

I was diagnosed with diabetes nearly 6 years ago and for the first 4 years was diet controlled, then a single metformin per day, which I have stopped taking since starting the BSD as my average was 4.5. I bought the monitor and all the consumables as they are not covered by my prescription (as obviously not being on insulin, I don’t need to keep such a close eye on things). I have a Hb1Ac booked next week sometime – which will be 8 weeks. Even eating on the M plan they have never been above 6.5. I think I am using the daily monitor to ensure that I do not ease my foot off the gas! I don’t think I shall continue after seeing my results from my ‘proper’ blood test.

But very glad you say the results of the finger prick are a bit ‘random’ cos I really can’t seem to see a pattern – and I like my data to make sense!!!

• posted by Verano
    on

AnneF … snap! I was diagnosed about 6 years ago too. I went straight onto metformin after 3 months of ‘diet control’ but of course the advice was then to have carbs with every meal, and it didn’t work. Sixteen months ago I found BSD and after 4 months I had my first HbA1c which had dropped from 6.4 to 5.5. Three months later it was the same. The next three month test saw a drop to 5.2 and my metformin was halved from 2000mg to 1000mg a day. Then in August it was 5.3 and my metformin was stopped. Today is D-Day! I have the results of my first metformin free HbA1c this afternoon. I must admit I am a little nervous because I haven’t been as vigilant carb wise but I’ve not gained weight so we will see.

• posted by 2bigdave
    on

Hi AnneF
    I think the answer just has to be not to check every day. I am not diabetic, just obese! My weight appears to vary at random from day to day. Clearly, this is not ‘random’, as such, but an absence of complete knowledge of every possible factor involved. I suppose that, if I were to lie in bed all day, every day, with the room at the same temperature and ingested exactly the same amounts of food and drink, then I might reduce the variability, but I am sure that there would still be factors that I would have missed and been unable to control. However, I am mildly interested to see how weight changes. If I look at my last 2 weeks I find that I have lost 0.8 of a pound. Bad week cost 5.2 pound rise, followed by good week and 6 pound loss. The lesson is, the bad week cost me 2 weeks progress. Was it worth it? Not sure, but the lesson has been learned!

• posted by AngS
    on

Hi, everyone. It seems very quiet lately, after the flurry of posts a week or so ago. Has anyone any news? Weddings? Weight loss (or gain?). Fridge raiding? Business lunches? I love hearing all the stories.

AnneF and I are in Week 7 of 8 on the BSD. My husband and I have decided to have the steak meal as our final one – with the red wine jus. Then we are going to drink the rest of the bottle and congratulate ourselves for sticking with it! I actually feel reluctant to go back to “normal” eating now. I’ve enjoyed the recipes on the BSD so much.

My weight went down to 8st 12lbs then went back up to 8st 13 again today, even though I’ve been strict with myself. Very frustrating! Just one more pound to lose and I will have achieved my target of losing a stone from 9st 11lbs. It may not sound a lot, but believe me, I looked fat. It was all round my torso. Even now, I still have a tummy that I need to lose. Ab attack classes at the gym will help, hopefully, as well as my dance class.

What has everyone else been up to this week?

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

2BD: Great post. Yes, I agree with you….soooo very hard to figure out all the little factors that affect weight day to day because “what you did yesterday” is clearly NOT the only factor. I also have seen carry over in the past where I have splurged a bit and not seen any real damage the following day or so, only to see the results hit the fan so to speak 2 weeks down the road when I was being 100% compliant. And the reverse…..pounds drop off out of nowhere that should have shown on the scales the prior week. It all comes out in the wash sooner or later.

Also re. lessons learned…..we have all been there. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. But the good news is that this is a pretty easy plan to get back on (as I am finding today per 2 days of upside down eating per a family medical emergency that turned out ok in the end). Back on the striaght and narrow.

May try a water only fast for 3 days over the upcoming weekend to undo some of the damage and get ahead of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday in US….family coming into town and staying with me through the weekend so it will be challenging to not fall into 3 bigger meals a day even if I do stay clean re. low carb. MM seems to recommend it for health housecleaning purposes as well. Will see how that goes and if it is something I might repeat monthly

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

And good luck to you Verano….fingers crossed on our metformin free blood work.

AngS…per note to 2BD…back to the forum after small family crisis. I too always worry when posting goes dark from regulars…you tend to worry that something has gone wrong. Hope it is only that others are just seeing to other matter for a bit as well.

• posted by AnneF
    on

Thanks for the advice everyone – duly noted that I should not too worried over details

Do let us know your results Verona

• posted by Verano
    on

AnneF I have reported on another thread but I’m really, really happy to keep saying my BG has fallen again from 33 to 29 after 3 months of being metformin free! My cholesterol has risen from 4.5 to 5.2 but overall my good cholesterol had gone up and my bad has fallen. Weight has risen very slightly but no surprise there and negligible really.

I have just been reading this article http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/news/2017/09/type2diabetesisreversible/ and it is very interesting. Have a read.

• posted by AnneF
    on

Well that more or less proves it…fasting bloods are, like Verano and 2BD said, COMPLETELY random (more or less!)

I am currently in deepest Cornwall (for work), so lots of yesterday was getting here – only just over 5000 steps registered on my (replacement)Fitbit . I was in a hotel the night before too, so breakfast was porridge ( but probably instant), I did manage to have just a salad for lunch, but already I am more bad carbs in than I wanted to be.
    My sister lives down here so I offered to take her out for dinner. She booked a table at a pop up Japanese – wonderful, but no menu choice – they cook – you get food! So we ate Edem beans, huge bowls of rich pork and noodle soup and gorgeous basil ice cream. I even drank some Sarki . Mmmmmmm I was thinking – those rice noodles (bad white rice!)and the instant porridge and the alcohol and not much exercise at all…might as well right off my fasting blood level in the morning…

What does it measur today? 5.0 – a pretty much perfect score!! Stopped being frustrated tho given the comments – more faintly amused! Can’t wait to get my Hb1Ac next week.

• posted by AngS
    on

Well done, AnneF! And great to hear that everyone feels it easy to get back onto the BSD after “slipping”.

My computer has obviously been on strike! When I posted yesterday, the last post I saw was mine on 9th November. Hence my comments about it being quiet. Far from it! Today I can see all the posts up to today. Weird! Anyway, have enjoyed catching up with everyone.

Still 8st 13 lbs this morning. I do wonder if it’s because we are not eating as much fish this week, although we are staying within the 800 calories. But perhaps we haven’t been as active this week, as the weather in Kent has been pretty grotty or, as many of you agree, the weight loss is certainly random! Gym today though, so fingers crossed. Only a week and a bit to go…

Is it best to maintain on the Mediterranean or 5:2 diet? I know the 5:2 has worked in the past, but would like to try the Med diet. Which is easiest to stay on? I feel I don’t have to worry for 5 days out of 7 on the 5:2 and know that I can happily do 800calories on a Monday and a Thursday, for example. Any advice of great Med diet books would also be gratefully received. Thanks, guys.

• posted by AnneF
    on

How are we all doing out there, never thought I would be reaching the end of week 8 and still be enthusiastic for this way of eating. Was expecting to be desperate for it to end so that I could go back to my porridge and bread and mash and chips. But I’m not!

I am loving the new way of eating, I am sleeping better, I have as much energy as ever (I buzz through life at a zillion miles an hour – running on the pure adrenaline of loving life!!) I am the thinnest I have ever been since leaving school – not skinny and gaunt, just looking good – I actually go in at the waist! Am off to a clothes swap tomorrow evening and taking nearly all of my trousers – someone gave me 4 ‘new’ pairs of size 10 skinny jeans (I even need a belt with one of them!!). I need a new swimming cozzy and new undies.

And the best bit…the bestest bestest bit in the whole world…I don’t take medication every day for diabetes any more. I have a Hb1Ac blood test next week to confirm, but i have been monitoring my fasting blood sugar levels and although a bit random (as discussed previously here) they show consistently that I am no longer diabetic!! Happy, healthy and looking forward to dinner (always!!)

• posted by AnneF
    on

Oh and thank you Verano for the link to the article. So succinct – really explained things easily. I have directed several people to it and saved it to share with my doctor in case it’s helpful on my next appointment.

And congrats on your lowered blood results – bet you are really chuffed and probably still skipping everytime you think about it!!

• posted by AngS
    on

AnneF, you sound so happy! Well done to you! I too am not looking forward to coming off these recipes. They are so delicious, we are certainly going to incorporate them into our every day way of eating now.

I am stuck this week (week 8 too) at 8st 12 lbs. Still just 1 pound to lose, but a few more days to do it in. I’ve lost 3 inches off my bust and hips and 4 inches off my waist. Mine goes in too! Hurray!

Looking forward to treating ourselves to an all inclusive week in Lanzarote, where with the buffet food on offer, I can still avoid carbs. Not long to go now. So pleased I’ve managed to stick to it. I couldn’t have done it without my husband’s support, but luckily he’s really enjoyed cooking. He’s eating for England now, but still losing weight!!!! Mince pies, potatoes, puddings! Pah! I’m being strict on 800calories and staying the same! Never mind.

• posted by Verano
    on

Well done AnneF and thank you. Glad to have been of help.

• posted by AnneF
    on

I am happy AngS. So blessed – so many things to be thankful for 🙂

I have made my own receipe book, by cutting and sticking all the ‘suitable’ meals from magazines and diabetic cookbooks etc following Michael Mosley’s ground rules for the M plan. Went back to good old quick and tasty harrissa chicken tonight 🙂

I hope you enjoy your holiday AngS and don’t find all of the beige buffet delights too tempting. I am not sure I could put myself through that – I have really strong willpower as long as there is nothing to tempt me

Your hubby has been such a great support to you – it must be tough to watch him eat more and still loose weight. Hang in there, I’m sure it will continue to drop gradually until you reach a natural low.

• posted by AngS
    on

Yay! 8st 11lbs this morning. First target reached and 10% loss of my body weight, so am hoping to have reversed my diabetes. Finish the diet on Sunday. My son and our 3little grandchildren are coming over, so I may have to celebrate his birthday with the MM steak meal and a small glass of red wine. I think,I deserve it! Back being careful on the Monday though. Will report back on my final weight.

• posted by AnneF
    on

Yey indeed AngS. So many Congratulations on reaching your target weight. I would agree that you definitely deserve that glass of wine. From what you have been posting it sounds like you have been pretty rigorous with sticking to the diet – I bet you can’t wait for your next appt at the doctors to confirm that your diabetes is truly reversed.

And wishing all of our Translantic cousins Happy Thanksgiving for yestreday. I hope that dealing with the ‘leftovers’ is not too much of.a challenge. I always feel that one day of indulgence will do no harm (and is good for morale!). But then it’s the yummy stuff that hangs around looking tempting everytime I pass the kitchen or check the fridge that is an issue – for instance in my house the kids’ abandoned Easer Eggs never survived long once their backs were turned for a moment !!

• posted by 2bigdave
    on

Hi AnneF and AngS!

Congratulations to both of you on meeting targets and in turning diabetes around! That really is an extraordinary and life changing achievement. I do hope to hear about your maintenance experiences. Meanwhile, I continue to go on and off a bit but managed to reach 24 pounds loss at the end of my 7th week. I now have to face a meal out at friends, a meal out for an anniversary and two nights away in a hotel. Tricky times! I should be able to manage breakfasts and lunches and will just have to do my best with the evening meals. That should keep things fairly level and back to ‘severe’ running up to Thursday and my week 8 weigh day. Then it’s start again without a break until Christmas.
    Once again, congratulations on your inspirational achievements! Hope the tests confirm the end to the drugs.
    Every Best Wish
    2BD

• posted by AngS
    on

Many thanks, 2BD. Yes, to have medical confirmation that we’ve both reversed our Diabetes, will be marvellous. 24 pounds is excellent. Keep it up. Hope you can get to your target before too long. Avoiding the potato / rice /pasta types of carbs at all times, seems to work, so if you can continue to eat well but without carbs, you should continue to lose weight.

We had a surprise offer of lunch out today. I ordered a cheese omelette with salad. Goodness knows how many eggs were in it. It seemed huge! Lol. No chips with it, thank goodness. But, as I’m still not hungry, I shall probably just have yogurt and blueberries later.

My oldest son and his partner tried the BSD from Monday-Thursday night and both lost 5 pounds! Result!

• posted by AnneF
    on

Itis you who are truly the inspiration 2BD – it’s a long ol’ journey for you and that you have taken up the challenge is amazing! 24lb is such an achievement.

I do find hotels tricky, but breakfast of eggs, bacon, tomatoes or mushrooms is good (only a few of each) I tend to avoid the yoghurt is often low fat. Lunch is often out of your control if someone else is providing it. I do find if going out for dinner easier if I go to a chain based place – many of them have a calorie- marked menu, I try to go for 600 dinners and I think that that is good enough !

Sounds like a great lunch AngS, I often go for salad or soup when I am out for lunch.

• posted by AngS
    on

AnneF, As I was wondering what to do next whilst on maintenance dieting, I came across this other forum, called “ After reaching your target, what next? “. It may be very helpful at times, like this forum has been. A photo section may be good, to show the before and after photos…

• posted by AngS
    on

One thing I’ve noticed since doing the BSD, in the past few weeks I’ve started getting heavy, weak legs as soon as I start walking down the road, then I started getting achey pains in my upper back. I looked it up on the internet and saw it could be a problem side-effect with the Metformin. As soon as I stopped taking it, the pains and muscle weakness disappeared. I took one again this morning and the pains came back a couple of hours later. I guess if I don’t need it any more, that’s why. My body doesn’t like it any more. So, I’ve decided not to take my Metformin any more until I have spoken to my GP. After all, I fought my diabetes with diet and exercise until recently anyway, so I should be able to do it again… Has anyone else had any side effects from Metformin?

1 day to go… happy Saturday evening and Sunday, everyone.

The 5:2 Forum has some interesting stories, but no recipe hints, which is disappointing , but never mind.

• posted by AngS
    on

Happy Christmas to all on this thread! Hope you all had a good one. We did, but need to eat sensibly now for a while. I’ve bought the BSD recipe book and Fast Diet book, as I’m now doing the 5:2 as maintenance.
    It is now a month since finishing the 8-week BSD with AnneF. Personally, it did me a huge favour and this thread was invaluable.

I dropped a stone, from 9:11 to 8:11 and, although I still have a bit of a tummy, and since a week in Lanzarote and Christmas chocolates, I’ve put on a few pounds to 9:1 this morning, I now know how I can quite easily lose those few pounds again (once I’ve finished the chocs). So, thanks to all on this thread, whose reports kept me going.

How are the rest of you doing? AngS.

• posted by AnneF
    on

Hey AngS! Merry Christmas to you to and to everyone on this thread.

You did really well to survive Christmas in such a luxurious setting with those results.

I had my HbA1C results in the week before Christmas – 47 (officially NOT diabetic!!) so was still riding on a high when it came to it. I went to my son’s from Christmas Eve to Boxing Day and that made it much easier – there was lots of food and plenty of drink, but no chocs or biccys or cake – so I enjoyed myself thoroughly and came away leaving all the remaining goodies behind (apart from some pork pie and some cheese).

That seems to have worked well, as this morning’s scales have me back to 8.5 stone.

This is such a game changer for me, I have no intention of ever slipping back.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2018

Please log in or register to post a reply.