Starting today- a few wuestions

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hollyg94
    on

Hello there 🙋🏽‍♀️

I am starting today after yo yo dieting on SW and WW. I have struggled to lose the pounds due to being addicted to sugar- I’ll be “healthy” until someone brings out some celebrations and I end up having 10+ in the space of an hour. Because of this I am extremely unfit, and find it hard to walk fast/run. I am 24, 5”5 and 13 st 4. I have a few questions below:

– I have not been told my the doctor I’m pre diabetic, or that I’m at risk in particular. I have been told to lose weight though- is this still okay to do the diet?
    – After doing another rather restricted diet, I piled on a lot of weight- how does it work afterwards if you’re adding more calories in terms of not gaining?
    – What have people’s results been after 8 weeks?

Thank you!

• posted by braveblackbird
    on

Hi, Holly!
    I’m starting tomorrow. I’ve recently been given blood test results from my GP, and my blood sugar and cholesterol are both raised. I’m not pre-diabetic, but my GP said it would be fine for me to try the bloodsugar diet for 8 weeks, then return to him to be re-tested. I’m also 5″5, and I weigh 86.5 kilos (a bit more than you.) I”ve done Jenny Craig successfully, but then put all the weight back on.
    For the blood sugar diet, I’m hoping to use do the 800 cals a day with a combination of meal replacements and real food – ie, breakfast and lunch meal replacement shakes, low sugar fruit (such as berries) for morning and afternoon snacks, and fish and salad for tea. Lots of water and green tea in between. I desperately want to fit into my clothes again, and to put my wedding ring back on! Most of all, I want to become healthy, and live a longer life, and it’s starting to get a bit frightening when I think about how easy it is to become so overweight and potentially very sick.
    Would you like to try the diet together, so we can give each other moral support?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Holly and Bravebb, welcome to the site. Hope you find support with each other. To answer your questions holly, yes it is okay to do this diet, giving up starchy carbs can only be a good thing and the calories and low carbs are key to the good weight loss. Anyone will put weight back on if they go back to what they were doing to make them overweight in the first place. If you can get to your goal weight the sensible thing to do is join the Maintaining thread (search engine) and I believe they add say 50 cals after one week so on 850 then another 50 to 900 and so on. A good way to look at this is that it is a way of life but you will hopefully reach a point where you dont have to be quite so strict and can go onto the 5:2 or the Med diet. But do give the full 8 weeks a go. Finally, our results. Well you can ask a dozen people and you will get 12 different answers. I only had (ONLY!!!) 3 stone to lose and lost 1 stone in the 8 weeks, some people who are bigger at the start have lost 2 or 3 stones. Dont try to measure yourself against anyone else, we are all different.

Bravebb, this is a good place to start getting your bloodsugar and cholesterol down. It looks as though you have a plan so good luck but do be careful with the ready made shakes as many are high in sugar and carbs so read labels carefully. One shake I have used but not seen for years is Complan which was designed to rebuild strength in people who had been ill. Alternatively you can make your own using a machine with things like spinach, berries, nuts and seeds.

Good luck to you both and Keep On Keeping On……

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Holly and Braveblackbird. Good luck to you both.

Holly, It’s fine to do this diet to lose weight even though you’re not diabetic.

Once you’ve lost the weight you go into maintenance – that ,means sticking to the principles of the diet (at least most of the time) but being able to eat a bit more and perhaps not having to count calories and carbs. Everyone is different and you’ll need to experiment to see what works for you (I’m at that stage now, having reached my targetweight a couple of months ago.)

I know you said it’s hard to walk fast or run, but you don’t need to at first. Just do what you can and try to go a bit further and/or faster each week. It really does help with weight loss and has other benefits too.

• posted by EclecticRajistani
    on

Hi Holly, you have been given sound advice so far! Go for it. I have similar stats to you (although was a stone heavier) and similar experiences of WW. I am also not pre diabetic etc however diabetes is rife in my family and I’m 40 never too late but you are only 24 and that’s in your favour! In fact some of the experienced BSDers are wiser but amazing in their weight losses and maintenance. So age is only a number but just think you have longer time to be healthy and fit.

I lost a stone in a month with BSD. Having said I also went off the BSD cos I was tired and exhausted not from the diet but just PMT, sleep deprived, busy with the children etc. However, I,m back on track and lost the weight 3pounds I gained within a couple of days. Please join us in the weekly challenge we are all at different points but we are a supportive bunch. I’m a newbie but can honestly this diet whilst tough at the beginning in a few days I was feeling full and still do. It’s trial and error. But follow the fast diet book in terms of clear out, shopping for the right foods. Beware of some of the recipes they don’t all come out right! But on the whole a good starting point to understand the principals.

This forum has been the main support and guidance for my success so far. I’m not usually a forum person more of a lurker but BSD has changed my life in a good way. I’m week 6 now. Take it day by day and you can do this!!! We can all help you. Well done for making the decision and wishing you the best and hopefully see you on here again
    Xx

• posted by braveblackbird
    on

Thank you so very much for all your suggestions, Squidge, Eclectic Rajistani and sunshine-girl – I really appreciate your kindness. I’ll cross my fingers and see how I go!

• posted by Hollyg94
    on

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your words- so supportive! I had an excellent day today- stuck to 800 calories on the M diet, and was actually satisfied, looking forward to my journey 😊

Braveblackbird- thank you so much for letting me know you’re joining! Would be great to go on the journey together and support eachotjer seeing as we’re starting the same time!

Thanks for all the support everyone once again

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome, welcome, blackbird and holly! I’d really like to suggest to both of you that you
    examine other active threads to join, as they are frequented by lots of experienced BSDers.
    It can make such a difference when it’s early days, and everyone here is overwhelmingly
    generous with their knowledge and experience. I look to see you out and about, and I wish
    you the very best of luck!

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.