Starting Today

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lumpyjumper
    on

Hello everyone,
    I’m a T2D diagnosed in October 15, with a huge family history of T2D. I was originally 90kg when I was diagnosed (already down from a high of 103kg) and I then lost another 10kg in 6 months by low carbing. However, I then broke my wrist and stopped exercising as much and comforted myself with carbs and put 5kg of the weight back on! So here I am today, 85kg with a fresh start and a new book and motivated to shift that 5kg and a further 10-15kg if I can.

I do my own blood testing, the NHS won’t pay for it as I’m not on insulin, just Metformin (2 x 500mg a day) and my morning BS readings are always in the 8-10 range even when I go to bed with them at 5-7, so my liver is obviously chucking out glucose in the early hours!

I work full-time and bring a packed meal into work, I’m not a keen breakfast eater preferring to wait until noon to eat and then eating in the evening at about 1800. I’m going to follow the 800 cal plan for the 8 weeks and see how we go….first challenge is a meal out with work on Wednesday evening. I’ve pre-ordered steak and salad in a bid to head off temptation at the pass..

Lunch today is 100g cottage cheese with chives and then cucumber and green pepper chopped into it….35 mins til I can eat it, not that I’m counting ( much!)

I look forward to sharing our journey’s

LJ

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Have a light snack before bed to stop the liver dump.

• posted by Lumpyjumper
    on

Thanks sunshine-girl, I will give that a whirl and see where we go! pleased to meet you. BS before bed were 6.5 last night and 8.5 when I woke this morning.

• posted by fabulist
    on

Lumpyjumper, pleased to meet you. Our stories are almost identical. Well, I am currently 95kg, but that is the only difference. I am on the same amount of metformin, have been diabetic for 5 years, and would really like to reverse my diabetes. Are you intermittent fasting? I stopped taking metformin over the last two days because I was afraid I would slip into hypoglycaemia but am not sure that was the best idea. I really don’t want to share this with my conservative doctor — I live in Brusels and the medical profession here tends to be a bit old-school…
    Good luck!

• posted by Lumpyjumper
    on

Hello fabulist, great to meet you too.

My understanding is that you cannot fall into a hypo with Metformin, so do not worry. It works on the liver rather than by increasing insulin production so therefore there is no risk of a hypo ๐Ÿ™‚ Do check, but I believe that to be the case.

I’m part of a trial group at the local hospital looking at young people ( I’m 47!) with Type 2 and the staff there are experts in their field, unlike my local surgery who still advise filling the plate with starchy carbohydrates! I just wish I could email them and ask questions when I need to do so.

I have done intermittent fasting in the past as well as TRF (Time Restricted Feeding) both worked well for me, however I’m going for the big bang this time with the 800cal day. Today is day 2 and I don’t have the carb hangover I had yesterday which is a bonus.

So far today I have had 2 eggs scrambled with a little (too much) chilli flakes and for lunch I’ve had cottage cheese with peanuts. I have to say, today has been much much easier than yesterday and I’m about to go for a lunchtime walk ๐Ÿ™‚ Let’s spur each other on, how much are you looking to lose? Do you measure your blood sugars at all? or just the regular HbA1c?

LJ

• posted by fabulist
    on

Can we be diet buddies? I’m 52, soon to turn 53 in April and this is also Day 2 for me! ๐Ÿ™‚ I would love to be in a trial group of Anything. Out here in Brussels, my slim GP’s eyes glaze over whenever I mention carbs — “Ah, yes, well, some carbs are good for everybody. Why don’t you eat less and move more? Maybe walk 15 minutes a day?” she murmurs, almost looking at her watch.
    I am also on 800 but doing the 16:8; not sure one can combine the two regimes.
    For lunch I brought to the office a box of sliced toms and cukes and a container of poached chicken with a dousing of Greek yog and mayo swirled together. I LOVE cottage cheese.
    Thank you for writing back!

• posted by fabulist
    on

Oh and I test my own blood — it is usually around 120 in the day, but Dawn Phenomenon hits me with readings of up to 144 upon waking. Sorry, I don’t do the mmol/l units that the rest of the UK seems to be doing — I think my units are American.
    Ideally, I would be so happy to be in my low 70s or high 60s in terms of kgs. It’s going to take me an age to get there, but I really want to do it this time.

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi all :o)

I’m very similar – currently 91kg, starting weight was 95kg… I did this diet for 6 weeks in January, early Feb this year and then went on a cruise for 2 weeks so have gained some back – mainly through alcohol rather than food actually… I was a size 18/20 and am now a 16, albeit a larger 16, but goes to show how quickly you can drop the weight when sticking to it. I tended to have a loss, then stay the same for a few days and then have a whoosh of a loss, and then stay the same, and then whoosh…. It’s about learning about your body… I know some days I may show a gain even though I have stuck to it by the letter, but the next day I would show a 3lb loss.

I re-started yesterday and am already getting back into the work routine with drinks and foods etc… Once you get into a routine, then you can get it cracked. I have given up alcohol completely as if I have a drink, I drink the whole bottle of wine, and I have got all my meals planned for the week and even know what I’m having at the weekend. I have a blip in that we are going out for a leaving lunch tomorrow but I will have no breakfast and then avocado and bacon salad without dressing (only choice really as steak is soooooooo expensive!) and that will be my main meal for the day. I tend to have 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast about 11am, then a salad with chicken or tuna or cottage cheese for lunch around 1.30/2pm, and then have an evening meal around 7.30pm… I drink a lot of fluids at work to keep everything moving and that’s pretty much my routine!! I find it easier at weekends to have a brunch (2/3 flat mushrooms with feta and spinach) and then an evening meal so just the 2 meals, but I struggle more with the fluids (and alcohol avoidance) at the weekends.

Lets get this cracked people – we can do this… Here’d to the first whoosh of weight loss for us all!!!

Much love,
    Rebecca xx

• posted by Lumpyjumper
    on

Hello you lovely people, I would love to buddy with you ๐Ÿ™‚

Just thinking of starting a new thread under starting BSD board for us to chat? Maybe we call us the Motivated March’ ers ( ie. March starters?) and we can use the board for our conversations? What do you think? Happy to title us whatever you think would be good ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve just been for my 30 minute walk in the fresh air and admired the daffodils. I sit most of the day in a windowless office and tend to be very sedentary so I try to walk a route inside the building every hour when I’m not in meetings. I’ve mapped a route that is 500-700 steps so over an 8 hr day I can get quite a few in. I’m lucky to have an onsite gym so I have a personal training session at 1545 today. It mostly involves stretching as I’ve dodgy knees from being in the RAF and a damaged shoulder and recently injured wrist! ( Gosh, I sound like I’m falling apart!)

I’ve dropped from being a size 20 to a size 14 in the last year but I’ve bought a dress for a wedding in June that is a size 14 and it hugs my curves just a little too much!

Here’s to supporting each other through the temptations and celebrating our successes!

• posted by fabulist
    on

Hurrah! We’ll follow you over to Motivated Marchers! Yaaay, buddies!!!

• posted by shammy
    on

Hello fellow bsd’ers- is there an official name? I started in early Jan and was hoping to have completed the 8 week plan by now – have managed 2 weeks on a bit of time off 2 weeks on and I am ready to get back on! Went to my nurse to get my hba1c today she referred me to the insensitive dr needless to say it didn’t go well, she said I can never lose 4 stone to be my ideal weight – so here goes. I could really do with some kind words I am not on medication but she suggested metformin, I am going to see a kinder dr next Friday to discuss how to manage this. I did ask a few weeks ago if I could run a bsd get together at the practice……..
    I am 95kg and need to be 65kg max. i love the bsd diet and exercise and do the bike or stretches. I did some strength training at the gym last year and that helped by cholesterol results. Would be nice to know i am not doing this alone xx

• posted by AnnieW
    on

You can do it Shammy. Never mind what nursey says. Not sure if you’ve had a look around the forum but there are some awesome, and awesomely inspiring, people on here. Use the search box at the top of the page to find Captainlynne.

Fabulist you can do 800 and 16/8 eating no problem, there is no conflict, unless maybe you are diabetic (luckily for me I’m not) it’s what many of us do (sorry if I misunderstood your meaning in your earlier post). Check out Sunshinegirl and LindaA they have great information in their posts

Lumpyjumper love your name.

on

fabulist, as you know about the Dawn Phenomenon are you doing something about it. A BSD friendly snack before bed tricks your liver into thinking it has enough glucose so does not do a dump on you. I usually have some tuna, cold meat or chicken, nothing with it, just as it comes.

• posted by xKimL2017x
    on

HI Folks!

Really can identify with you all.

I’ve been T2D since daughter was born 13 years ago. It started as gestational diabetes but given my family history, (mother and sister became diabetic during pregnancy), I perhaps shouldn’t have been as shocked as I was when it didn’t disappear after my daughter was born. Having had a trouble free first pregnancy it seemed that genetics weren’t going to be kind after all.

I am overweight at 85kg, and was following all the advice previously given to ‘help’ my condition, (eat a low fat diet and plenty of rice, pasta and potatoes), I wasn’t losing weight and my sugars were erratic. I even joined Slimming World, who again encourage lots of low fat and ‘unlimited’ rice pasta and potatoes. But still no improvement in my condition.

Last week I was in the bookstore and saw the 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet book….. it was that simple. Having read the blurb on the back I was hooked. Started the diet yesterday, not in the least hungry but have felt a little light headed and cannot get an appointment to see GP for a week to inform I am on the diet and may need medication adjustments………..no make that I WILL need the medication reduced!

Lets kick T2D in the bum……. hard! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by fabulist
    on

SunshineGirl, thank you so much. I’m on 16:8 and 800 cals — been on 2x500mg of metformin daily but unsure as to whether to carry on with this dosage or halve it. My “feeding window” (that phrase still makes me think of a zoo; hope that association will pass!) ends around 8:30 pm so is it okay if I have a bit of protein before bed, around 10:30 pm?

• posted by Lumpyjumper
    on

Ive started the motivated march’ers on the starting Bsd forum, see you there!

• posted by xKimL2017x
    on

Lumpyjumper you seem to have this all sussed, I would love to buddy up with you all as Im on day 2 and think the only people who will understand why we are doing this is fellow T2Ds.

Cant believe I’m excited about a diet lol

My name is Kim….. Hi Folks!!! x

• posted by fabulist
    on

Heading over …. !

• posted by xKimL2017x
    on

Shammy don’t worry……….. my GP has kind of dismissed this also.

It clearly works so its up to us to prove the pessimists wrong ……..(pretty sure I spelled that wrong lol)

on

fabulist, yes you can have a snack but try to count it within your calorie allowance, I sometimes save a little something from my dinner or make sure I have about 50 calories left and have a piece of chicken (about 2 oz) or ham, even a boiled egg. As for the Metformin, maybe it is a little early to start reducing, especially as your BG is still a bit high. Give it a couple of weeks and see how you are. By the time you get your appointment you might be seeing improvements and can inform your doctor you at going to be taking this seriously and will need his/her support in adjusting your medication as needs be. Dont be bullied but if they dont agree with you politely say you will consider what they have recommended then go away and do what you feel is right for you. You are doing your own tests so can keep a careful eye on things. Good luck.

• posted by fabulist
    on

Thank you, Sunshine Girl! My morning bloods were 8.6, so I am resuming my metformin, you’re right, it’s too early to go off them. Let’s all have a wonderful day, kicking Diabetes’ a***. For lunch I have a piece of sauteed salmon, roasted brussels sprouts and chicken broth with spinach in it. Four more hours to lunchtime ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.