Starting the BSD on Monday and very nervous!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GingerPeach
    on

Hi everyone just wanted to say I am starting the BSD on Monday as I have around 20kgs to lose and just so fed up with a little bit of weight loss, putting it back on x 1000 and just generally feeling like crap. Not had a diabetes diagnosis yet but my BM’s suggest I’m in the pre-diabetic range and we have a family history of Type 2 diabetes so trying to head it off before it becomes an issue.
    My question is this, I am very active – my job means I am standing all day (nurse) and I walk on average 15000 steps a day. I used to do lots of intense exercise but that has tailed off in recent years. Can anyone here tell me how they feel on the 800 calories? I expect the first 2 weeks to be a bit of a shock to a carb addicted body but I would really like to get back to running and lifting weights again by the end of the 8 weeks. Does that seem realistic?

Any advice for a newbie who is very nervous about being a failure would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

If you go to the post called Who Runs on 800, you will find my stock answer. Yes it is tough for the first couple of weeks until your body switches to fat burning. Hope that helps.

• posted by Rainey
    on

You can do it. It took me 3 years to get my impulses and behavior under control to nail a habit that supported me. So if I could do it, you can do it.

I’m still struggling with the BSD part of it. I mean choosing the *right* foods and getting the proportions right but I’ve found a spot that has balanced Keto recipes. The ones I’ve tried have been good. Here it is if it helps you get started: https://www.carbmanager.com

Make up your mind that you’re going to tough your way through a couple weeks. Old habits may make you *think* you’re hungry but it sounds like you’re a busy person and that will come to your assistance. In the beginning I used to pop on a stationary bike to distract myself. You’ll be able to work and function just fine. And when you develop the rhythm of this thing it will be much easier.

Good luck! You can do it!

• posted by GingerPeach
    on

Thank you Sunshine girl and Rainey I will check out your suggestions. It’s just good to know I can come here for inspiration. 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Ginger, I have just been looking at one of my favourite ladies on You Tube called Dr Becky. She, with her husband do lots of keto stuff. Look for 4 Things to Avoid When You Start Low Carb. I think it is number 3, but watch the whole thing as it is not very long. She explains why exercise may not be a good idea for a couple of weeks and goes into the science of switching from using carbs for energy to fat burning. Hope it helps explain things.

• posted by freester
    on

Joining a bit late but answering a few of your specific q’s…
    My memory of the 800 cals a day on the BSD was yes it was a bit tiring. Somewhere around the week 2 / 3 I got very tired and grumpy and also hangry if a meal was delayed! I also got quite hungry after the small bits of exercise I did – a couple of times I had to snack but stayed on plan – nuts cheese etc!
    As far as getting back to exercise yes you are being realistic. I am a keen cyclist. First 2 weeks I didn’t feel like cycling at all. My first bike ride after 2 weeks my legs felt like I’d ridden a few hours before I’d even got on the bike. I took things gently and steadily to start with but 10 months in I’m probably faster and fitter on the bike than I ever have been (and with less weight to haul around).
    Good luck how’s it going now you are a day or two in?

• posted by GingerPeach
    on

Thanks so much Sunshinegirl I will check this out. So far so good but I know it is usually easy early and plenty of times for wobbles. Watching things like that will help me get over the hump. Plus I love the biochemistry! 🙂

• posted by GingerPeach
    on

Hi Freester thanks for your answer that has inspired me to keep the faith. It’s day 4 now and so far so good. I’m finding that as long as I keep hydrated and have plenty of easy options due to the food prep I did at the weekend I’m doing alright. First major test last night as my nieces birthday party and lots of cake floating around but managed to not have even a bite. What is weird didn’t feel deprived.

I thought I’d find it harder at work for some reason but yesterday was my first day off and that was tougher. Probably because the opportunities to eat during a 12 hour shift are limited but guess I’ll need to mindful of eating due to “boredom”. I’ve lot a little weight, 2.5kgs, but my biggest win is my BM’s are looking good. Hurrah!

Thanks for you tips and support it’s much appreciated.

Please log in or register to post a reply.