Starting out and feeling daunted

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Clairebear
    on

This will be the second time I’ve started the BSD – I caved and had a massive week-long cereal/bread/sugar binge 2 days after starting last time. I’m too scared to weigh myself. I also have a skinny, sporty husband and a toddler so my house is full of the foods they eat. Getting rid of my “danger foods” simply isn’t an option (what toddler goes without raisins, oatcakes and Weetabix?). I desperately want to stick at it but have no offline support as no-one realises the extent of my carbohydrate addiction and how unhealthy it’s making me. I’m hoping to log in regularly and get “chat” with like-minded folk who aren’t going to tell me not to do some stupid faddy diet (as has been said to me already). Thanks for reading. Tomorrow is Day 1 of getting healthy.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Clairebear,

Welcome back to the BSD. There is an enormous amount of support available simply by being part of these forums. There’s usually someone reading the forums who will help out.
    Today is Week 6 Day 6 for me and the BSD is becoming a way of life for me. There have been days that have been really difficult for me with cravings but pushing through the cravings becomes easier the longer I continue on the BSD. It’s great not to be driven by constant hunger.
    As you can’t physically remove the ‘danger foods’ from your home, you may need to remove them from your immediate sight. (Can they be put in containers at the back of cupboards/fridge so they are less visible to you?)
    You’ll find that the symptoms of carb addiction lessen and eventually disappear – that in itself is really empowering.
    Best wishes for your BSD journey.

• posted by AnnaandAlfie
    on

Hi Clairebear, welcome back and well done for having another go and not giving up completely.
    I’m on week 5, a stone down and a lot of it’s pretty much now a lifestyle change. I’ve fallen off the waggon a couple of times but have got back on the next day. I’m trying a max of 1000 calories rather than 800 ( which usually means aiming for 800 but truthfully realising it’s more like 1000). I count calories on ‘my fitness pal’.
    I was a real bread Monster so have cut it out completely; pasta is replaced by courgetti and rice by cauliflower ‘rice’ both need seasoning but quick to prepare. It’s also having something to grab if the munchies hit that helps so I don’t raid the biscuits! We have packs of sliced cheese and crab sticks in the fridge and usually one eaten slowly is enough for the munchies to pass. Another help for me is to drink a glass of fizzy water if I’m hungry as often I’m more likely dehydrated.
    I did a lot of lurking around the forums before I took the plunge and there is always someone around whatever the time of day or night!
    Good luck😀

• posted by keje
    on

Hi Clairebear,
    Your situation sounds similar to mine. It took me three attempts to succeed on the bsd, with several chocolate binges in between. I’ve now just realised I think I’ve hit the 8 week line. Yay! The first 3 weeks I was counting every day using a lot of willpower, around the 3 week line it just got easier and I stopped noticing. The 8 weeks kind of feels irrelevant now as I want to eat this way for the rest of my life. I ‘ve lost over a stone and many more cms, comfortably now a size 10-12. I also have a skinny athletic husband and 2 young children who have inherited his metabolism, I’ve been trying for 10 years to loose 1-2 stone, never succeeding as unable to resist kids/husbands food. Pre bsd the following were embarrasingly very common occurances in our house
    – me buying a multibag of crisps for kids lunchboxes and eating them all in one evening then hiding the wrappers at the bottom of the bin. Have even been known to take wrappers to work to hide evidence of binges!!
    – explaining to my children why we don’t eat sugary things at breakfast, then hiding behind utility room door and demolishing several bars of chocolate!
    – buying pack of doughnuts for all to share and eating them all myself
    – eating my husbands high energy cycling snacks so he has no snacks to take on 6 hour bike ride ( he never touches them apert from to refuel on rides)
    And many more similar examples!!
    Now I’m eating within bsd guidelines, not counting cals though, and no longer tempted by sugar or crisps. What’s amazing to me is that l’m not using willpower to resist them, I simply just don’t want them. I do need to be organised though and make sure l have healthy snacks aviailable, olives and cheese are favourites. As many others have said getting enough fat is key to helping you feel full. Sorry for long post, but basically I thought I was a lost cause prior to this and what started off as a way to try and loose weight has turned into a whole new way of life and healthier future. Also husband isvery much enjoying bsd food and a happier me! Good luck, you CAN do it!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Keje, that is some turnaround!!! Well done!!! 🙂

• posted by Clairebear
    on

Thanks for the replies. I always feel like I’m the only one out there who has these binges and it’s so shameful to admit them to anyone. Hearing that one can turn things around gives me a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Clairebear — I would venture to say that almost everyone has “blown it” now and then! This new lifestyle has a distinct learning curve — let yourself develop into a new mind-set — it might take many tries but my experience is that it is the NEXT day that really counts — just start again. I did it over and over in the last ten weeks and today I measured a 31inch waist — but it was no straight line for me, there were many slip-ups but I just started again. Hang in there — you are going to do great!

• posted by niblet
    on

Gosh Clairebear you’ve got it really tough. Ive only got a couple of temptations in my cupboards. If I had my grandson here I’d be too tired to care about dieting! I’d be into the dried fig bag and having peanut butter and jam sandwiches! You’re doing well keep it up. Ask your husband to help? If he’s slim and athletic encourage him to help you be like that. A reward of a clothes shop token for every 7lbs?
    Keep going.

Please log in or register to post a reply.