Starting out.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wyrdsister
    on

Hi all, read the book. Taking the plunge. Is there a clear list of foods to avoid, I know it covered it in the book but would be good to take shopping. Not sure where coconut flour fits? Any ideas?

• posted by Spirit
    on

Welcom wyrdisister,

Really it’s high carb foods – rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, exotic fruits including bananas and some root veg.

You will need full fat milk, butter, cheese, yoghurt – not low fat versions since they are loaded with sugar.

plenty of leafy green veg and coloured veg like red/green/yellow peppers etc

and eggs, lots of eggs. I can’t comment on coconut flour since i’ve not used it.

• posted by L41DA
    on

I’ve been on this diet for 3.5 weeks. I’ve cut the starchy carb veg and potatoes out totally. After the first few days the hunger pangs went away. My overnight fasting bloods at the start of the diet were 7.6, I weighed 16 stone 8lb I am now 15 stone 2lb and my fasting bloods this morning are 5.3, my bloods started falling a week and a half into the diet. Stick with the diet it really seems to work and after 3 weeks I’m not craving any of those bad carbs anymore.

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hello Wyrdsister,

I’m just ending week 5 and have lost 1st 9lbs so very pleased indeed being a dieter of many many years so very experienced but not very slim!

I’ve found this diet dead easy to follow and to be honest (sound very virtuous indeed) haven’t needed to eat the ‘wrong’ things (have had large glasses of red on occasion though). I’ve found a laborious but very helpful thing to do is each Sunday morning I painstakingly write down a ‘week 1’ shopping list from all the receipes and just go and buy that – even though some of the foods I don’t like I am trying to change my palate. So I don’t think what can’t I eat but what will I be eating and just buy that. Some of the meals are so delicious I can’t wait to have them again like the stuffed aubergine in week 1- my husband is now doing it with me as he likes the recipes so much too – tasty and spicy, quick and so different to the spag bol and shapherds pie I kept dishing out week after week!

I now have all my weeks shopping lists done so just print one out and go shopping on Sunday ready for the week ahead. Also planing meals a week ahead so helpful, never done it before but I think that’s helped me loads.

Good luck with it…………..just follow the plan and I believe it does work – my blood sugars now down fro 10.6 – 5.4 in 3 weeks – I’m happy

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Tallyho, impressive weight loss and very good news about the blood sugar readings! It certainly is easier to plan ahead. It seems laborious at first but then how long does it take each day to think ‘hmmm, what can I make for dinner, what have I got in the fridge?’. You can also keep all you weekly plans and once you have a few just base a new week on one. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi wyrdsister. The coconut flour is good for the coconut flat breads posted by Bill1954. I’ve used them for savoury and, if I omit the salt, I put a dollop of greek yoghurt and berries on top for a bit of indulgence which is still carb and sugar free.
    If you look at the ‘get started’ tab at the top of the page there is a sugar pyramid you can print out and stick on your kitchen wall as a reminder of what not to eat – and the advice given by Spirit is good.
    Tallyho is looking at recipes and planning ahead – the ingredients in the recipes will keep you right and make shopping a lot easier. Aldi sell the cheapest coconut oil (thanks Bill – that is where I will buy my next lot) which you will need for the coconut flatbreads and coconut flour I got from my local health food shop.
    Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Wow! Great results L41DA! In just 3.5 weeks! I am totally impressed! Amazing results on your blood sugars too! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by L41DA
    on

Hashimoto I am walking and exercising a lot more, but the blood sugars are more important to me than the weight loss. I’m extremely happy with the diet and only wish I’d started it earlier. I can’t recommend it enough. I’m due to have my Hba1c in 6 weeks I’m actuallylooking forward to getting the results for once

• posted by hashimoto
    on

๐Ÿ™‚ L41DA, your nurse will be pleased with you

• posted by Audleytom
    on

can some one just educate a stupid man as people are saying use full fat milk BUT i love my skimmed milk (fresh not uht) is that not a good thing?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

If you really like skimmed milk then stick to it, however the carbs are higher in proportion in it than the full fat milk. I use skimmed, semi-skimmed, full fat and Guernsey full cream, all for different things and at different times. (The Guernsey makes the best cocoa).

• posted by Audleytom
    on

thanks Mixnmatch I never looked at the details on it just drunk it, but I will double check from now , these forums are great and I am/was not one for forums until now

Please log in or register to post a reply.