Starting on the Paelo diet.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by kazor1
    on

Looking to get at least 3 stone off me and I’m wondering when the body goes into Ketosis and how long it takes to get over the hangover of it and energy levels are fine to function? As I work in a rug store and so labour during the day.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

I am not clear which type of diet you are intending to follow, since you appear to refer to very low carbohydrate, low carbohydrate and moderate carbohydrate plans?

Dr Mosley describes ‘The Fast 800’ as a “mildly ketogenic” low carbohydrate Mediterranean-style diet (p.84), and clearly distinguishes it from a very low carbohydrate or ketogenic diet (p.96-100). Since this is not a hardcore very low carbohydrate diet, you may or may not struggle with low energy.

There are several versions of the Paleo diet, but it is not a low carbohydrate diet. Whilst certain starchy food groups (grains, pulses) are often avoided, other carby foods (tropical fruits, root vegetables) are included. If you eat a wide variety of Paleo-friendly wholefoods you could well be eating a moderate carbohydrate diet.

If you are concerned about the impact of a low calorie diet or intermittent fasting on your performance at work, you might be best reducing your carbohydrate intake (esp. sugars, processed grains) on workdays but maintaining a calorie intake that allows for your activity level. Then on your days off you might practice intermittent fasting, ie. 5:2. This is very much part of Dr Mosley’s flexible programme: in ‘The Fast 800’ book he encourages us to consider our lifestyle when scheduling intermittent fasting.

HTH!

Please log in or register to post a reply.