Starting on Sunday – Need advice….

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lesley91
    on

Hi!
    I am overweight and definatley heading towards diabetes, getting married in July, weigh in at a hefty 17 stone 8 lbs at the moment – 100% addicted to sugar – will happily skip meals and eat a pack of sweets or chocolate. My parents have had massive success already and are on their 3rd week on this diet.
    (My dad has shrunk!!)

They are going to support me with evening meals which is fabulous, my question is – what lunches do people take with them to work?
    I eat lunch at work 5 days a week – and although I have access to a microwave I prefer something I can grab out of the fridge and not draw loads of attention to what I am eating.

So far the best ones from the book seem to be – peanut butter dip, no carb ploughmans and the lettuce cup. Does anyone have any other reciepe ideas that would work for me?

Thanks for your advice!

• posted by bernie
    on

The lettuce cups are lovely, particularly the chicken, celery and apple. I couldn’t get on with the peanut butter dip at all.

Tried the beetroot and cannellini bean soup but wasn’t too fond of that either so I have been making minestrone soup (recipe on site) and taking it – it really fills me up. I am going to try some of the other soups that have been listed in the recipe section as they look lovely.

Have a scroll through some of the forum posts as there are some great suggestions by other posters as to what they enjoy eating.

• posted by Lesley91
    on

Oh really? I was excited to try to peanut butter dip! Hopefully I will enjoy it ha ha.
    I didn’t really want to take soup – when I was doing low fat I just packed sandwiches and fruit and off I went, the microwave is super rubbish and I would be waiting 10 minutes of the break for it to heat up!
    I will have a look through and see what else they might be, looking forward to trying the pepper with feta on my days off and things.

Thanks!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Lesley
    Welcome on board!
    For lunch I would suggest perhaps just keep things simple. Try to keep it to two or three hundred cals. If you enjoy salad, have loads of salad veggies and a weighed piece of chicken, tuna, salmon, egg or beans/lentils. A little bit of oil-based dressing which you can make yourself with some herbs and you’re done.

• posted by Lesley91
    on

Thanks Janet!
    I wouldn’t say I enjoy salads… but I’m sure once my tastes adjust away from the extraordinary amounts of sugar I am eating now I will enjoy them alot more.

Thank you for the advice.. written my plan for one week with peanut butter dips and no carb ploughmans,then once I am in the swing of it I shall get adventurous with salad!

It is so great having my parents being such a fabulous support, hopefully i will see as good results as they are! Xx

• posted by bernie
    on

Don’t worry Lesley, I didn’t like the peanut butter dip but my OH loved it – just personal taste. Good luck on your start – I’m on 2nd week and not found it difficult at all but do need to plan what we’re eating.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Humus is available in a few flavours and in individual portions, it goes great with salad dippers. I’ve also enjoyed the Sardine dip and a mackeral salad at work. Cottage cheese is good too.
    This morning I made a 2 egg mushroom and pepper omelette and took it to work to heat up … delicious.

• posted by Lesley91
    on

Thanks Bernie!
    I liked the sound of the Humus but couldn’t think what to eat it with (duh!) so salad dippers would be perfect!
    I wasn’t sure how a re-heated omelette would taste but will give it a try

Thanks for all your suggestions! xx

• posted by chinta
    on

Are you diabetic Lesley? I could easily sit and eat a family sized bag of M&Ms or Maltesers in one sitting and not even think about it. I love milk chocolate but my husband prefers plain so I used to buy us a large bar each. His would last a week to 10 days, mine would last one evening. I was diagnosed with diabetes on 11 November and since then I have eaten 5 chocolates on Christmas Day. Every time I’m tempted (and I am) I just think of it as 100 per cent pure poison. I never thought it would work but it does. I suppose it may be harder to think like that if you’re not diabetic. But in that case just think about the disappointment of the wedding dress not fitting!!

• posted by Lesley91
    on

Not diabetic… yet!
    I have lost 18 lbs so far by the way!! I love the No Carb Ploughmans for my work lunch.

Just looking for recipes as we are going on holiday in two weeks (just to the seaside with the dog) so am going prepared!
    Going to do a big cook off the day before we leave and keep it in a cool bag so we can just microwave our way through the week!

• posted by Viv
    on

Hi Lesliy. I’m not diabetic, but had a blood test which was prediabetic. I was shocked to say the least. Did you still tell your doctor you were going on the diet. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol so feel I must inform my doctor.

• posted by Lesley91
    on

I just had a blood test for a full range of ailments (turns out some symptons I was having are easily fixed) so other than being overweight I am fit and healthy.
    (Reasonably, I have the worst cold ever at the moment)

Didn’t see a need to tell my gp as I am 24 and have no other issues, if I had any blood pressure or cholestrol issues I would have though.

Please log in or register to post a reply.