Starting Monday Feb 5th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JennJenn
    on

Hi I would love to succeed at this. I am starting Monday any advice for success. Anyone else starting Monday?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome along, JennJenn – be sure to weigh and measure yourself before you start; weigh, measure and record everything you consume; drink loads and a bit more; be sure to include fats in your daily intake and keep an eye on the carbs – not all calories are equal.

Finally, make good use of the forum. This is a safe place to vent when things are going wrong and celebrate any success – no matter how small. There is a wealth of wisdom and advice to tap into here and there is a search box on the top right corner, if you want to look for a particular topics. Do shout out though, if there is anything you desperately need help with and someone will respond for sure. Feel free to join any threads that look like they hold a relevance for you and I’m confident you will find a warm welcome.

Be sure to post your progress and best wishes to you.

• posted by Shellsbells
    on

Hi JennJenn, I am starting on 5th too! Lots to take in!
    Have to say I have been impressed at all the recipes, I love to cook ( and eat😞)
    I have been on the 5:2 diet in the past, but not for a while. Doing the BSD for weight loss!
    The very best of luck to you.
    X
    Thanks SunnyB for the starting advice! x

• posted by JennJenn
    on

Thank you for the encouragement. It will be a challenge but I am ready. I will plan my week tonight. Do you fast in the. Or omg to make it easier? I was also considering doing 5 days fast and two normal. I run a lot and am a abut concerned about my long runs on weekends. Keep in touch sunnyb.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi JennJenn – there are many on the forum who have successfully maintained their existing exercise regimes – including running – whilst on the Fast 800. Not sure if you are thinking about full on water fasts and two ‘normal’ days, or if you are considering five days on low calories plus two ‘normal’ days. And do the ‘normal’ days include high carbs?

Personally, I’d suggest trying the Fast 800 for a while to see how it works for you, before making any major tweaks. This will give your body a chance to make the adjustment to the low carb levels, which is really important on the BSD – almost more important than keeping the calories down. However, it is of course for you to decide how you will approach your weight loss and how to make the BSD work for you and your lifestyle. Personally, I’d follow the 800 and keep it simple, see how it works for me and then decide if you need to make adjustments.

• posted by JennJenn
    on

Thank you for the great advice. I guess iwas thinking of doing the Bsd for 5 then normal but maybe I should just dive in. I guess I am nervous but I teallly needto get my sugar intake under control.

• posted by SylviaBourneHancocks
    on

I’m starting tomorrow too. Big shop for healthy foods in the morning! Looks doable. πŸ˜€

• posted by Shellsbells
    on

Yay! Hi Sylvia! Yes big shop for me too, have just planned my menus for the next week. Best of luck to you. I have been thinking of doing it for a while, so just jumping in now!

Be really interested in how other vegetarians are managing. There are lots of recipes in the BSD book, waiting for the recipe book to arrive, and have been looking a recipes in forum too.

Thanks for the newbie advice already 😁

• posted by SunnyB
    on

If you are looking to get your sugar intake under control, I’d definitely recommend sticking to the 800 on low carbs for at least the first few weeks, as this will give your body a chance to fully adjust and get you through the carb withdrawal period. Having a couple of days off a week, will hinder your body making that full adjustment and keep it carving the carbs.

Best of luck to all of you making a start this week. Hope you all manage to adjust easily to the new regime, but if you need advice or support, shout out and someone on the forum will be sure to offer assistance.

• posted by Shellsbells
    on

Thanks so much!

• posted by Gattina
    on

Welcome new starters and best of luck on your journey. I’m finding this forum very supportive – I hope you do too.
    Shellsbells – I’m vegetarian too. I’m on week 6 of the 800 fast diet and sticking to 30g carbs. It is difficult to count both calories and carbs but it can be done with careful planning. I plan my menu ahead – not always the full week but 2/3 days ahead and prepare food in advance. Knowing my next meal is ready stops me from snacking in between meals. I’ve cut right back on beans and lentils as a protein source because of their carb content – but do still have small portions mixed in with vegetables and salads.
    There are quite a few veggies here so ask if you need any help and you can search for veggie ideas too.

Best of luck all.

• posted by Shellsbells
    on

Hi Gattina, thank you for the advice. Some brilliant tips. Counting carbs and cals seems really hard, and beans had become a big part of my diet!
    I am feeling really determined (day 1!!) and not too hungry. Really making the effort to plan ahead, love the idea of ‘next meal ready’
    Thanks!
    Have already picked up lots of info from the forums.
    Cheers.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello Gattina and Shellsbells, I hope that things are going well for you thus far. I’m not a veggie, but I like to
    throw in a few veggie meals during the cold winter months (USA). Before either of you joined the community,
    Esnecca introduced me to black soybeans. 1/2c of them is 1 carb, compared to black turtle beans which is 12!
    I recently used them in my version of chili, and they were fantastic!!!! In the States they are available canned, at
    certain whole foods markets, and dried beans also. I don’t know what your options would be in the UK, but it
    might be worthwhile to google them?

Best of luck,

Allie

• posted by Shellsbells
    on

Hi Allie, YES! we have black beans in the UK, i did not know they were soya beans until i just googled them, but i always make my Chilli with them, and now i can continue! Yay! What fab news that they are so low in carbs. I can see i will be eating them a lot.
    many thanks for the info and encouragement πŸ™‚

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Black beans and black soy beans are two different things. The word “soy” (or soya, I guess, in the UK) has to be explicitly written between “black” and “beans” on the label, or else they’re just the default legume which is high in carbs and lower in fiber than the soy. If the word soy isn’t anywhere to be found, check the nutritional panel. The carb count will tell you very clearly whether they are the beans in question.

There are white soy beans, by the way. I’ve never seen them canned, but they are available dried. Just like regular beans, they have to be soaked overnight and simmer for a few hours or pressure cooked to be ready for consumption.

Have you tried using a food logging app like MyFitnessPal or Fat Secret to count calories and carbs? They make it quite easy since you can look up a food in their databases, input the amount you used and the software tallies up the carb, protein, fat, sugar and fiber totals for you. All you have to do is note which ingredients you used and how much of them. Measuring and weighing is key, especially for vegetarians since you don’t have so many free and clear options as omnivores do.

Don’t be daunted, Shellsbells. I started tentatively too, not even certain it was possible to eat 800 calories and fewer than 20 grams of carbs a day. All my fears were allayed by day three. A good kitchen scale and a notepad on the counter was all it took for me to master the Fast 800, and the rest is history. You can do it! πŸ™‚

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’m delighted to be able to help, Shellsbells. Asking a veggie to give up beans would be the equivalent of asking
    me to give up fresh wild fish! This is a magnificent WOL. I’ve lost 50% of my body weight and have maintained
    the losses for 9 months. It has transformed my life, i.e., given it back to me essentially. Welcome to the
    community. There are too many success stories here to enumerate, but there are plenty of us old timers around,
    and we’re always more than happy to share our knowledge, so just ask away if you have questions, and someone
    is always out and about to answer them!

Best,

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.