Starting Jan 22

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Candlelight
    on

Morning Folks,
    How are we all feeling? Not heard from one or two of you for a couple of days, hope,all,is going well?
    Wasn’t last night fabulous with all that wonderful support and advise.
    So sorry CC to hear about your accident.
    Well today’s positive quote was going to be TGIF but though weekends maybe a bit more challenging so somethings like:
    🌻🌹 Somewhere, something incredible is happening 💐🌸
    Hopefully to our bodies.
    Have a great day

• posted by Peonevie
    on

Morning all!

I’m getting a little lost in the configuration of this forum, so apologies for being so fleeting and intermittent.

I feel like I could take on the world today, despite the boys thinking 5am would be a good time to start the day.

Hope everyone has a positive day and thank you for the new words of encouragement

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi Allie – That is really good advice about switching to maintenance – gradually increasing calories by 50 each week. That is where I went wrong last time – I could not switch to sensible eating pattern after I finished the 8 weeks. I’m going to remember this advice.

Esnecca – your story is inspiring – losing 200lb is phenomenal. I’ve been reading some of your posts and they are always full of great advice – thank you for sharing your experience.

x

• posted by CC W
    on

Hi everyone,

Candlelight, I agree! There is so much helpful, wise, gentle advice on this thread! Thanks for the kind words, my accident may have been the beginning but I am under no illusion that the comfort eating got me to this point – although I’m now 6 days past that point! How’s your energy today?

Peonevie – I’m getting a little lost too so have parked myself here for ease, haha! It’s wonderful to read that you have loads of energy! So good! I’m running out of chores to do now 😂

It’s lovely that Allie, Esnecca & Mixnmatch have popped over to check in on us newbies, thank you all so much!

I tried to make a two ingredient pancake today. Just eggs & cream cheese, the recipe suggested serving with berries BUT the pancake was so savoury the flavours really clashed! I will serve with mushrooms next time. Lesson learned!

Today’s song… ‘My Way’ from the wonderful Frank Sinatra. Eventually, after a long & healthy life I hope I can reflect & sing such profound words…the positivity has started!

• posted by Candlelight
    on

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if the energy thing hit, or the excitement of you guys getting it. Although have been a little hyper.
    Been a good day so far, just need to sort out dinner, but for the first time feeling nibblish, yet I had a good lunch and drunk over 2lt of water today already.

So pleased Peonevie that you all that energy wonderful.

Ainet how are you getting on today? Hopefully much better

Take care folks 🌈

• posted by Esnecca
    on

CC W, you could cook that pancake in a larger pan so it’s not as thick and then it would make a great tortilla. Tacos, burritos and other wraps are so versatile and very easily kept low carb by focusing on fresh veggies and lean protein. I made a fish taco in an egg/cream cheese wrap once — spice-rubbed cod, grated cabbage tossed with lime juice, thin slices of avocado — and it was a party in my mouth. 😀

• posted by CC W
    on

Esnecca, thank you! Brilliant tip to make it thinner to use as a wrap. I have lots of ideas for fillings. Will let you know how I get on!
    Do you use a blender to mix the egg & cream cheese? It felt a little scrambled egg like.
    CC

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I softened the cream cheese first by mixing in a small amount (maybe a teaspoon/5 ml) of chicken broth and mashing them together. I also added a drop or two of fish sauce (Red Boat is the only brand I’ve found that doesn’t add sugar), Worcestershire, hot sauce, smoked salt and ground pepper. That will give the cream cheese a nice savory base that is not omelette-like. I don’t bother blending. You can mash it up with a fork quite easily because the extra liquid makes it a little squishier.

Good luck! I’m looking forward to your report.

• posted by Candlelight
    on

Good Morning,
    Well yesterday was insightful although having lost weight 😃😀, I jumped on the boditrax machine at the gym that does all things like bmi, weight, water and bone desity and visceral fat, all was good except no change on the last, so that was a little bit disappointing, but my body age has come down yippee.
    Have a lovely Saturday.
    Today’s quote is:
    🌞 🥀 🌾

Our aspirations are our possibilities.

• posted by CC W
    on

Hi Candlelight,
    Those results sound great! It will take time to get good results in all areas I guess. My wedding ring set is already fitting better! I like them loose. A great non scale victory for me!

When is your official weigh in? Weekly? Today is the end of my first week & the amount of positives it has brought has been fabulous! This is definitely a way of life for me!

Another song today ‘Eye of the Tiger’ by ‘Survivor’

Have a glorious day!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Eye of the tiger, it is, CC W! I’m definitely “feeling it” 🙂 Fierce, we
    are!
    This might make it possible for you to pick up the pace and
    move your feet when there is tedious housework to be done!

you tube Bonnie Tyler “Holding Out for a Hero”

Have to see what springs to mind tomorrow…..

Best,
    Allie

• posted by alliecat
    on

CC W, just one more selection to go with the tiger theme, from
    the movie soundtrack to “Scarface”, and then I’ll let you lovely
    ladies return to sharing your progress with the BSD 🙂

you tube “Push It to the Limit” Scarface

• posted by Candlelight
    on

Hi CC that is fabulous news it means things are heading in the right direction, so lovely you can feel/see a difference. Well done you.
    Official weigh in is Monday, probably not a good day, as may struggle at weekends especially as six nations about to start….

Loving both songs, both are on my all time favourite lists. Now humming them!!

Feeling pretty good despite constantly checking flight arrivals on and off all night and been up since 6. Not done much exercise today, pretty grim weather again today. But I did a fair bit this week at the gym, and have sore muscles so my excuse giving them a rest. Have you been out with the dog?

Ainet are you still with us? Hope so
    Peonevie how are you doing? Weekends easier or more difficult?
    Keep positive 🙃🌹🌷

• posted by CC W
    on

Allie,
    Thank you! Songs choices always welcome!
    I’m getting the feeling you love music as much as I do! It really is so motivating & there’s a song for every mood, situation, journey (in the car, & in life), experience, mood…haha, I could go on!
    Hope you’re having a great Saturday
    CC

• posted by alliecat
    on

Yes, CC W. I like it loud, too! I think I’ve always used music to
    “mood alter”, and it certainly bumps up my energy if I’ve got
    something repetitive to do. I’ll take every extra calorie that is
    burned in the process, too. Have a great weekend! I’ll keep my
    eyes on this thread for your music, as well as your progress.
    I’m loving your commitment and positive energy…Carry on 🙂

• posted by CC W
    on

Candlelight,
    It’s raining here so the dog is cosy in her bed right now. Will definitely walk her at some point though. Sounds like you’ve hit the gym hard, that’s awesome! Rest days are very much allowed.

Is your husband home yet? Will be interesting to see if he notices a difference. Are you finding it harder to make good choices because it’s the weekend?

Aah, you’re a rugby fan… enjoy!

Stay strong!
    CC

• posted by Candlelight
    on

CC,
    Yes home, but cannot not the difference yet, so a way to go…..🙃.

Loud music is so motivating, unfortunately I have been in the past know to sing out loud with headphones on……
    Yes I think it maybe p, but did a good top up shop today, so hopefully dinner will be fine. So loving the porridge with apples in mixed spice in the morning.
    How is your husband coping with the menu change or do you do a different meal for him? (Please all feel free to comment on this)
    Have a great evening, and keep checking those rings 😊

• posted by alliecat
    on

I’d love to be able to sing with headphones on, Candlelight, but
    I’m completely tone deaf, and my pair of Siamese would certainly
    flatten their ears and take refuge under the bed! O/h would
    probably grab his keys and suddenly remember an urgent errand
    that he had to attend to….
    I don’t do a different meal for my husband. When he was diagnosed
    with advanced coronary artery disease, stage 3 heart failure, and
    a “silent” heart attack in 2016, I set out to learn everything I could
    possibly learn to arrest the progression of his disease. Step 2
    was to not have anything in the house that wasn’t healthy, and
    I was determined to eat what he ate. I committed to the BSD,
    as he was also told to lose weight, and I quickly realized that
    what the American Heart Assoc. was advocating contained 6-8
    servings of whole grains and other carbs per day! Insane…
    After 19 months, neither one of us even remember how we ate
    before. I really sympathize with everyone who doesn’t have
    their partner on board. At the start of making this change in
    lifestyle, it must be a real challenge.
    Stay strong, everyone. This is a marathon and not a sprint, so
    think in terms of short term goals if the overall goal seems too
    overwhelming 🙂 You all can do this, if I can, I promise 🙂 🙂 🙂

Enjoy your weekend!

Allie

• posted by CC W
    on

Hi,

My voice is classically trained & I love to sing. My neighbours haven’t complained yet but the dog however… haha!

We are a vegetarian family that cook from scratch & so it hasn’t been much of a jump to eat this way. I just don’t have the potatoes, bread, pasta etc. I used to be a snacker, lots of chocolate & unhealthy nibbles & that’s how I stayed overweight. The girls fancied Macaroni Peas tonight so my husband & I did try & cook different meals at the same time, the hob was not big enough! Oops!

Hope you’re having a good day.
    CC

• posted by CC W
    on

Allie,

So sorry to hear about your husband, that must have been a huge wake up call for you both. It’s so good that you have both come through it in such an inspiring way!

I’m thinking it’s a Gloria Gaynor ‘I Will Survive’ kinda celebration!

Wishing you both all the very best.
    CC

• posted by HappyHostie
    on

Have you measured yourself? I found no loss on the scales, but seemed to have a loss on the tape measure that week.

• posted by Candlelight
    on

Thank you will try tape measure, a good idea.
    Hmm I may sing with headphones on but I am no singer……I am great at embarrassing myself.
    Hoping everyone’s weekend is going well?
    Today quote

A brave warrior is not afraid of challenges as they will come out a winner!!

🤼‍♀️🏋🏾‍♀️🧘🏾‍♂️🧘🏾‍♂️🧘‍♀️

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good morning, everyone. I really enjoy starting my day with a
    quote, a song, or a few positive thoughts, so thank you all.

CC, thank you for your kind thoughts. “I Will Survive” may very
    well apply. I shared the events of 2016 with you, but 2017 was
    an even more eventful year 🙂 In Feb. o/h was diagnosed with
    colon cancer, and during his hospitalization for colorectal
    surgery, he had a massive post operative bleed that almost
    cost him his life, along with a second heart attack and subsequent
    implantation of a defibrillator in his chest. Today he has recovered
    and is back to teaching a full course load (professor). This isn’t
    meant to be a personal tale of woe, however, because there is a
    message of hope in it. Prior to the BSD, I was morbidly obese,
    too exhausted to function, and I couldn’t have made it down a
    long hospital corridor without the aid of a wheelchair. I certainly
    would have been too disabled to spend 3 weeks in a hospital doing
    all I expected of myself with respect to my husbands care. The
    BSD is what made that all possible. Avoiding carbs/sugar? A
    mere trifle, and no match for this lady 🙂
    How wonderful to have a trained voice! I enjoy all types of music,
    with the exception of country/western and rap, which could
    possibly drive me to madness 🙂

Have a wonderful week, everyone!

Allie

• posted by CC W
    on

Hi everyone,

A positive day here, just been for a hike & I have the blisters to prove it, oops!

Candlelight, how is your husband liking the food?

Allie, that really is a transformation story for some very scary reasons but as you said, not a tale of woe but a tale of rebirth for you both! I believe that if we let them our scars can show strength & grace & oh boy yours definitely do!

Today’s song is ‘Over the Rainbow’ my favourite version is by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole. May he rest in peace, but what a gift he left behind.

Happy Sunday!

• posted by Candlelight
    on

Oh Allie, you have both been through the mill! Every cloud has a silver lining, looks like you have found it.

Great CC to hear about walk, sorry about blisters, horrible things.

Hubby let off at the moment as jet lagged, saying that he had the same lunch as me Portobello mushroom, salmon and poached egg, he then had a slice of Christmas cake which is fine by me.

Just been walking on treadmill at gym and done one and a half miles in 25 minutes, fast walk. I did have to stop once, totally worn out now.
    Have a great evening folks 🎤🎧

• posted by alliecat
    on

Congratulations, ladies, on your workouts today! It’s great to
    hear of your committment. I can be a little lazy in this area. All
    I can seem to manage is a brisk walk, and some repetitive sets
    with 5 lb. weights 🙂

CC W – Never heard this rendition of “Somewhere Over the
    Rainbow”, so fun to listen to! Have you ever heard Sam Harris’
    version from “Star Search” in the 80’s? I found it for you on
    you tube, and include a link, but I’m known for being a total luddite
    on the forum, so I hope that you can access it. Embarrassing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWTWOvKiiY

(Linda Ronstadt has a beautiful arrangement, also.)

Now, to one of my all time favorites…Etta James (1961) singing
    “At Last”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqS2zYoDb34

Obviously I can do this all day, but pretty far afield from discussing
    the BSD! Time for for some discipline now…

Wishing you both a great week ahead 🙂

Allie

• posted by CC W
    on

Haha Allie, I am known as the luddite in my family! I have heard that version, Sam Harris has such a unique voice, it’s amazing!
    Linda Ronstadt again has such a unique voice, I love her!

‘At Last’ by Etta James is beyond a pleasure to listen to, another gift to the world! ❤️

To end your weekend I leave you with ‘Songbird’ by Eva Cassidy. An absolute dream of a performance. ❤️

BSD is also a gift to the world! I’m so focused & happy! Don’t worry, I’m sure I’ll have loads of questions soon! Haha!

CC

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi CC W

Just wanted to post and say what a fantastic version of ‘Over the Rainbow’ that is by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole. I’ve never heard of him but I remember my attention being caught once (maybe in an advert or film ?) by this version – really glad to be able to attach it to a name.

Marie

• posted by Candlelight
    on

Morning,

How are we all this morning?

Cope with the weekend?

At last the mornings and evenings are drawing out here, always makes me feel so much better.

Ok so one week in, cannot believe that I have managed to live on 800 calories a day and not feel dizzy, faint, ratty or lack of energy. Amazing!!! To add to that a weight loss of just over 6lb. The only down side I have is being so cold especially in the evenings, fortunately if I pull a rug on me the cat joins me.
    🍎🍏🥦🥒🍋🍆

Today’s quote:

The past is your head, the future is in your hands 💐💐

So here is to week two …Bring it on!!
    Good luck folks

• posted by CC W
    on

Hi Marie,
    It really is beautiful isn’t it?! This version has been used in movies, TV & commercials, it’s lovely in ’50 First Dates’. I’m always happy to introduce people to artists that I love.
    Take care, CC

• posted by marie123
    on

CC – I’ll be looking out for them. xx

Allie – I’ll answer you on here, if that’s OK. We have a CD in the car that has on it ‘Something Inside So Strong’ Labbi Siffre – love that song. Last week, I found myself dancing around the kitchen to Dancing In the Dark (Bruce Springsteen). But, I have to say I’m more likely to be listening to Radio 4 – which is spoken-word programmes – these days. Very staid! xx
    Btw – I listened to Etta James, also. What a wonderful, powerful voice.

• posted by CC W
    on

Hi everyone,

Weekend was great. I actually found myself saying… ‘if you tell me I can’t have chocolate again I will be fine but if you tell me I can’t have yellow pepper again I will be very sad!’ 😂 My husband & middle daughter just stared at me as if I’ve been taken over by aliens or something! Great non scale victory moment!

How are you Candlelight?

I am loving the quote & musical additions to this thread. So uplifting & motivating!

Today’s song ‘When You Believe’ the glorious Whitney Houston again, with the wonderful Mariah Carey. This is a song I love singing ❤️

Have a great Monday, CC

• posted by Peonevie
    on

Evening all!

I hope you are all doing well?

I’ve had 2 poorly babies so haven’t been around much, my apologies.

My total loss was 3.2 kg, and I have amazed myself by surviving (so far) *that* week of the month (sorry if tmi) without pigging our or reaching for the sugar- though I did allow myself a square of 70% Lindt within my 800 cals

Much love to you all and best wishes for week 2

• posted by CC W
    on

Peonevie,
    that’s an amazing loss! Well done!
    Sorry to hear your babies have been poorly, hope they are feeling better now.
    That’s not tmi, that’s really good to know that it’s survivable without (bad) chocolate! Haha!

Have a great week 2.

CC

• posted by CC W
    on

How is everyone doing today?

I have just done a very hard yoga session which made me feel quite down as before I gained weight I could easily do it. The positives are that I didn’t give up & that I’m dealing with the weight so I KNOW I will get there!

Today’s song is ‘Three Little Birds’ by Bob Marley. I think it would be impossible to stay down while dancing along to this ❤️

Have a great Tuesday
    CC

• posted by marie123
    on

CC – Bob Marley – another favourite of mine – and remember no woman, no cry.

• posted by CC W
    on

Marie – I’m a huge Bob Marley fan! No Woman No Cry is so good!

• posted by Candlelight
    on

Morning Folks,

Hopping babies are all better.

Sorry for lack of communication, yesterday was manic.

Fell off the rails Monday night and a little bit yesterday, fortunately only half a pound on. My problem is being so cold in the evenings, heating on, three layers, a rug and a cat…..usually worse when it is mild and wet. So thinking I may swop things around a bit and may up calories on wet days, and get back to it on other days, yes I know it will mean slower weight loss, but I would rather do that than restart in the warmer weather.on the plus side the Miso soup is warming, filling and 90 calories I add vegetables so add on more calories and have a good dinner.
    🌞🌹😀😃
    Happiness is ours for the taking xx

• posted by CC W
    on

Hi Candlelight,

How has today gone? You’re right, it is so cold! I think you’re new plan sounds really sensible. It’s better to have a plan in place rather than just go off plan unexpectedly & make bad choices.

All good here. More yoga today & a very long walk. I’m exhausted now. Off to the movies later where I’m hoping I don’t fall asleep, haha.

Today’s song – ‘Walking on Sunshine’ by Katrina & the Waves

Hope you warm up soon.

CC

• posted by MrThinOnTheOutside
    on

Hi all- I started on 23rd Jan but just joined the forum today.

So far so good ( lost 6 lbs!) but I’m not sure how long the diet style will feel normal.
    I have had a bit of a light head the last few days but otherwise no real issues.

I’m normal BMI but have a fatty liver so hoping to reverse it quickly (fingers crossed).

I#ve always run regularly but running without the carbs is feeling really tough – any one else suffered a lot compared to a ‘normal’ diet? Will it get better?

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi MrThinOnTheOutside

Two hopefully positive replies:
    1) When I was diagnosed T2D I also had a diagnosis of non -alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. After six months or so on this diet that diagnosis was reversed.
    2) I went back to Vets rugby and the first two or three sessions were tough, but it did get easier. I would add though that I did lose a considerable amount of weight so I wasn’t dragging several stones of extra me around a muddy field.

• posted by Candlelight
    on

Hi Mr Thinonthe outside,

Welcome, love the name. Amazing how some problems are not seen, and the outside looks so good 🙁.

I too have been bemused about the whole process, amazed by how little I have been functioning on with little side effects. I think the fact I am functioning on so low calories is a little scary, but my body is more than coping. I am the sort of person who would feel awful, ill and need a sugar fix, not often, may be once every six months. Now not needing the fix. I try to go to the gym, several times a week, must admit it has been a struggle, but coping. So I am sure your body will adjust.
    Wishing you all the best 😊

• posted by Esnecca
    on

MrThin, your body probably hasn’t adjusted yet to draw energy from your fat stores and keeps looking for that easy fix in the form of carbs. Most people go through a detox phase in the early days — also known as the carb flu because of symptoms like fatigue, dizziness and aching joints, muscles and heads — but once your body understands there’s a new sheriff in town, it finds new sources of energy. The result is usually a boost of energy that exceeds the carb-heavy status quo ante.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

on

Hi Jules, good to hear you licked the NAFLD – I’m hopeful I can go back to the doc in March and wow him with a set of good results. I’ll maybe give it a few days before my next hard run, sounds like I just need some time to adjust to the Carb cold-turkey

on

Hi Candlelight, Hi Esnecca,
    Thanks for the replies – yes you are no doubt right, (love the new sheriff phrase) I’m probably being a little impatient after 20 odd years of pizza, chips and all the pasta I could get my hands on. So far I’m not doing too bad, some light headedness each time I stand up is all – I probably just need to drink a bit more fluids for a bit.

thanks again for the support!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Mrthinontheoutside. Just a quick post to you about the
    light headedness on arising…I experienced the same symptom
    early on, and I know that Esnecca did too. Try adding some sea
    to your food, or even putting a few salt flakes in your hand and
    popping them into your mouth. When we drink 2.5-3 liters of
    water a day, we strip our bodies of salt, particularly if you used
    to eat processed food, etc., and some of us need to add a bit
    to replace it. Cleared it right up for me.
    Best of luck,

Allie

• posted by CC W
    on

Allie,
    It’s interesting that you say that because yesterday I was craving salt so badly, my daughters were eating Doritos & I wanted to lick one! I didn’t but it was definitely the salt I wanted. Will borrow your advice for MrThin! Thank you!

Mr Thin,
    I’m finding I’m having to incorporate more rest days into my training than before. I get fidgety if I don’t workout but I’m accepting it for now. I started on 21st Jan. Good luck!

Candlelight,
    How’s the cold? Hope you’re ok.

Today’s song ‘Beautful’ by Christina Aguilera

Have a great Thursday!

CC

• posted by alliecat
    on

Ha, CC W, licking Doritos, indeed! How is our resident Songbird today?
    You ladies are really going for it. Hooray!

I’ve been so enjoying picking up the artists here (some of them new
    to me), so thanks all for your contributions. Marie, I’d forgotten
    all about “Dancing in the Dark”. Not only do I love the idea of you
    picking up my habit of dancing in the kitchen, but how are the
    countertop push-ups going? Springstein is definitely going onto
    my list for vacuuming music! (hoovering?) Labbi Siffre is new to
    me. thanks
    Isn’t it interesting that listening to one song here brings another
    quickly into focus? I really love the deep throated torch singers..
    This is what is richcocheting around in my cerebral cortex today..

k.d. lang – “Crying”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv7S8v3rM-U

melissa machester – “Come in From the Rain”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t12IJMO1yzg

hope my links work! Great day, all,

Allie

• posted by CC W
    on

Allie,

I am great thank you. Other than the one urge to dorito lick I have not been tempted once. My head is most definitely in the game! Hope you are well?

You are a luddite no more and KD Lang singing crying is lovely!

I’m sticking with your rain theme & offering up Neil Sedaka’s ‘Laughter in the Rain’. I am such a huge fan of his!

CC

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi Mr Thin. Once you are sorted with this way of eating – lower carbs, plenty of fluid, some salt, med+ protein and some real fat your body will adapt to fat burning (and virtually everyone has plenty of that). As long as you keep to “the way” your body will learn to switch between fat and carb burning. I regularly run early morning fasted with no problems, although Im not the fastest.

Please log in or register to post a reply.