Starting 30 January 2017, anyone fancy joining me?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Michelle62 – sorry I missed your post. I’m glad your weigh-in went well and totally agree with you that it’s wonderful to finally feel in control. For the first time in a long time, I actually believe I could lose a substantial amount of weight.

I’ve got back to where I was last summer (after my last diet) and so now my next target is just under a stone away. Then not only will I weigh less than I have in 8 years, I will also be lighter than my bf (a fact that troubles me a lot more than him).

• posted by Shanshu
    on

*sigh* That moment when you reread your post and see all the errors you made writing it and then realise there’s no edit feature!

• posted by Yen
    on

Weigh in this morning brought the total in 3 weeks to 14.5lbs lost. I’m pleased with that. I stone down another 5 to go, at least.

So onto week 4. Feeling better now I’m remembering to drink more. Planned week 4 meals last night and have included a couple of meals doubled up to give me a break from cooking – so that should work out better.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Yen that’s amazing – well done!

I’ve eaten the same thing three nights in a row because I made huge portions (still have two lots in the freezer) and two of my other evening meals this week are doubled up as well. I’ve decided to leave creativity to the weekends!

• posted by FightingT2
    on

Apologies for not posting for the last few days, I’ve been sticking to the diet, as much as possible, but have been over 800 cals!
    Back on it today, albeit still over 800 cals.

Today’s summary:
    Calories: 983
    Carbs: 30g
    Water: 1L
    Steps: 10,553

Went to the gym over the weekend too. Really want to start adding exercise to the diet – especially as I’m beginning to think about the family summer holiday in August!

P.S. Glad to read that everyone seems to be doing well x

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Fighting T2 – 900 cals is still a very small amount and bound to have an effect. And going to the gym sounds a great idea.
    Once I’ve ruled out due to cost but I’m hoping to clear some space in my room so I can start doing wii fit again (that is if I can find the all the bits – it’s been a long time).

Today I went for a four mile walk after work. I can see the change in my fitness levels already. I’m walking faster, better and not getting out of breath.

Today’s summary:
    Calories: 781
    Carbs: 24g
    Water: 2.5L
    Steps: 16,790
    Average Blood Glucose Monitor reading: 5.8 (from 7 readings today)

• posted by Natalie
    on

This week I’ve returned to full time study (to be a library technician) so I suddenly don’t have the free time to read every post! It’s had a detrimental effect on my water intake (which was never great) as I can’t rush out of class every 20 mins to the loo. But it’s had an awesome effect on my daily steps, I get to nearly 10,000 from walking from the car to the station (all the close spots already taken as I go after the kids have left for school) then from the city station to the campus – and back again. Hopefully that will help my fitness.

I’ve been taking my lunch so that side is ok.

Oh, I lost 1.3 kg in week one which I am very happy with as I went over calories nearly every day!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi NancyB – well done on the weight loss and getting your steps up 🙂

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!!
    Start weight: 17st 8lb
    Week 1, day 7 – I am confident I have a significant loss in week 1 to be confirmed this evening at WeightWatchers, can’t wait to be weighed!
    Just wondering if other people have the same concern as me – being left with an ‘apron’ of excess skin below my belly button! I lost a lot of weight 10 years or so ago in my early 40s and my skin snapped back nicely, but this time at age 57 I’m not so sure this will happen again.
    I am naturally without trying doing the 16:8 diet too. I never get up early so brunch for me is just after 10am, a snack inbetween of nuts (told nuts are v good for you so have 10 almonds and 2 walnuts, 20g, 130cals) and an early dinner just before 6pm. This is working really well for me. And I am loving eggs for breakfast every morning.
    Will post my weight loss later this evening.
    Nancy x

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi Natalie – sorry for getting your name mixed up with NancyB earlier! I was trying to respond before I went in a tunnel and lost internet! So my congratulations and well done on the steps was for you.

NancyB – Good luck with the weigh-in tonight 🙂 I love eggs but can only do those on days I’m working from home so I tend to do the three meals (except on Sunday). On the weekend I branch out but during the working week it’s either yoghurt with seeds and blueberries for breakfast or if at home, poached egg with half an avocado. Lunch is usually salad of some sort and then evening is usually chicken or fish with veg unless I’m enjoying the leftovers of a more extravagant dish booked at the weekend.

I am also really worried about having excess skin – all over frankly. I already have very unsightly stretch marks on my stomach and bottom and would hate to have skin hanging off me to add to that. I’ve never lost a significant amount of weight before so no idea how my body will react.

Are there any hints and tips out there from the ‘old timers’ on this?

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Today is hard. I’m very hungry but putting off having lunch yet because then it will hours before I can eat in the evening.

Plus we have friends over tonight and everyone is ordering takeaway but me. Time to test this willpower.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

You can do it Shanshu, over a stone lost in weight in less than 2 weeks, that’s enough to keep you fighting that takeaway 🙂

• posted by NikiClark64
    on

Hubby and I started yesterday. Really got to do it because he has high blood pressure, I have high cholesterol and my brother died last year of heart failure aged 56. Determined we will get to spend our retirement years together! I am also trying to persuade a friend of mine who is prediabetic. So far so good, unlike other diets, I am not ravenous. The exercise is making me feel good already and my husband’s blood pressure is at normal today. I am going to check out some of the calories counting etc websites mentioned and report back in a week with weight loss.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Thanks Baristagirls. It’s just so weird – I haven’t been this hungry on the diet before and I really am today. I’ve just eaten lunch so I’ve had over 400 calories today made up of yoghurt, blueberries, salmon, leaves, seeds, Atkins crispbread etc and yet I still feel hungry!!

I just have to battle through! I’ve just made a peppermint tea – even though I don’t like tea – in the hope that a warm drink will ease the hunger.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi NikiClark64 – welcome and good luck. I cannot recommend My Fitness Pal enough. Also somewhere earlier in this thread I listed all the apps I use on my iPhone so if you are a person who likes apps then you might find something interesting.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!!
    Just got back from WeightWatchers weigh-in.
    Start weight: 17st 8lb
    Week 1 weight: 17st 0lb
    Week 1 loss: 8lb
    I am delighted!
    I did the diet properly, only went 100 cals over once. Did have 4 or 5 tins of Gin and Diet Tonic from Morrisons, 60 cal each, but remained within 800 cals.
    Treating myself to just the one Gin and Diet Tonic this evening as a reward, 60 cal.
    Total calories today (including G&T): 710
    Nancy x

• posted by Natalie
    on

Well done NancyB! And thanks Shanshu.

Regarding loose skin, there was a lot of positive discussion somewhere about rose oil (or rose hip oil?) helping so you could try doing a search in the threads for that. Sorry I don’t have time this morning.

This time round I’ve been finding yoghurt and berries for breakfast isn’t satisfying me until lunchtime, I don’t know why when I did this last year I found it very filling. Eggs are best for me but I don’t have them everyday, bacon as a treat once or twice a week (processed meats are to be limited on BSD or indeed any healthy WOL). Last night I mixed some chia seeds into a serve of yoghurt and raspberries, it tastes just the same and adds fibre and the yoghurt seems thicker so I’ll see how I go with that this morning.

Have a great day everyone!

• posted by Predhaynes
    on

Hi All,

Please may I join this forum. I started my own last week but I am feeling a bit lonely there by myself now… I started on 30th too. Just after my over 40s health mot when I found out that I had been prediabetic for years! My blood sugar count it now lower but not low enough for me and I am determined to reduce my waist and BMI. This is my second week of doing the diet. I have to admit I have not religiously been sticking to 800 calories but definitely under 1000. Also I find weekends really difficult with family meals. The first week was really hard too, felt so ill and tired. I now think I probably had the carb flu. It’s really odd but I am finding the smaller portions filling, I am just struggling with stamina in my tone classes. I brought the book and the sauce for the chicken korma was lush! Just won’t be making it with chicken breast again 😉

• posted by Predhaynes
    on

Shantu, where can you can sugar free smoked salmon from? Every time I look at smoked salmon, the second or third ingredient is sugar.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Super quick flyby as with friends and I’m being rude!

NancyB – that’s fantastic news – well done indeed

Natalie – thanks for the info, I’ll look it up

Predhaynes – I saw your post and was going to drop by. Please join us – you’re very welcome.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi Predhaynes – it was pre-cooked salmon fillet rather than smoked salmon I’m afraid.

I haven’t checked smoked salmon out but that’s a pain if it’s really high – I love smoked salmon.

• posted by FightingT2
    on

Thanks Shanshu. Yes, 900 cals is a very small amount – compared to what I used to consume.
    Well done with the four mile walk, I can’t imagine walking for that long!

Well done Nancy B, very encouraging.

Welcome Predhaynes, of course you can join us.

• posted by Predhaynes
    on

Thank you Shanshu and Fighting T2! Just read through everyone’s comments. This forum is so informative and supportive. I have eggs on the ready for breakfast. For the recipes I have tried from the BSD books, they are surprisingly good. I am having the Thai fish cakes for dinner tomorrow. I am trying to prepare meals a day or so in advance because I am really tired when it gets to meal times, especially dinner and I don’t want to let myself down. We can do this!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hello – today was hell. I was just hungry all day for some reason and then had a weak moment of eating a slice of Parma ham because It was 7.30pm and I couldn’t wait another hour to eat (fortunately though this wasn’t planned for I managed to fit it into my day by slightly changing the evening meal).

This evening all my friends were eating Thai takeaway and birthday cake as I watched. However, somehow I got through and hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Today’s summary:
    Calories: 775
    Carbs: 26g
    Water: 3L
    Steps: 14,539
    Average Blood Glucose Monitor reading: 6.2 (from 7 readings today)

• posted by Shanshu
    on

6.7 not 6.2 for Blood Sugar readings. My readings seem to be all over the place.

• posted by Natalie
    on

PS adding chia seeds to my breakfast yoghurt didn’t help – I was hungry again in a couple of hours.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi NancyB
    Re loose tummy skin.
    I’m 57, lost 32kg over 25 weeks and have been maintaining since September. I started in size 16 pants and am now in a size 8 and I’m please to say there’s no loose skin. In fact, as time has gone on, it’s got better and better. Maybe it’s just my skin or maybe it’s because I walk a lot and do yoga, but there is hope. I wouldn’t worry too much now as I found that the tummy was the very last to go.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by FindingMe
    on

Thanks very much to Shanshu and MixnMatch. I’m still getting my head (and eating) back into the good place it was last week.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Shanshu – parma ham – well that wasn’t too bad was it 🙂 low carb and well slotted into the diet. Congratulations on resisting the cake and takeaway. I lost 2 stone in 8 weeks so you’re well on the way to smashing that!
    My first 6-7 weeks were so hard. Sometimes I look back and wonder how I did it. I felt so ill. It was the longest carb flu ever and sometimes I was just sooo hungry!
    You can do this!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Finding Me – the fact that you are still posting here and still trying to get back on diet is it’s own little victory. Perhaps this isn’t the same for you but every time I’ve ‘cheated’ on a diet, I’ve just walked away and said ‘sod it, I failed’ – possibly because I wanted it to fail because it was too hard.

But you are still here and still trying and that’s the important thing. Keep trying. It’s like quitting smoking – what’s the saying ‘Don’t quit quitting’? I tried to quit cigarettes several times and whenever I had a weak moment, I let that weak moment end my attempt to quit instead of saying ‘I’ll be better tomorrow’. Until the day I decided to quit and keep quitting and ironically that was the time I didn’t have a weak moment and I’m now I’ve not smoked in over four months and can’t imagine myself ever doing it again.

Keep on keeping on – I believe in you!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Baristagirls – thanks. The thing about the Parma ham (which was why it felt like cheating) is because I bought it on a whim in the supermarket. I’ve been very good in planning my meals and my fridge only has stuff I’m allowed to eat and I’ve been good at no deviating from any planned meals.

So I want to keep the buying on a whim thing to a minimum because if I can buy Parma ham on a whim, I can buy a Malteaster bunny on a whim and I really don’t want to do that!!

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi LindaA
    Thank you for your reply. You’re so lucky your skin is so good.
    Just had delish garlic mushroom 2-egg omelette for breakfast/brunch 200 cals.
    Nancy x

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

I know exactly what you mean Shanshu, I bought things on too many whims and got tooo big. Nowadays, whilst it sometimes looks tempting, I just have to think, if I don’t buy it, I can’t eat it. On the other hand, for those times I might think I will cave and eat the wrong foods, I need a few BSD friendly whims in the fridge!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Re the salmon fillet and smoked salmon, I often incorporated this into my 800cal. Whilst I found salmon fillet high in calories, it was so delicious that it was well worth it.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

On the subject of salmon, here’s my lunch today:

Poached salmon fillet – 65g
    Leafy salad – 30g
    Mixed seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
    Chives – 1g
    Cucumber – 146g
    Fat-free vinaigrette – 10ml

Calories = 258
    Carbs = 5.6

So perfectly good and tasty too.

Plus fish is so good for you and I love it. Best thing about being on the Med is eating fresh fish every day.

*fantasises being back in Crete snorkeling in a much more flattering swimming costume one day*

• posted by Heath
    on

Hi everyone. Great seeing all your posts/ advice/ encouragement. Hectic few days so not had much time to reply. I weighed in / measured on Sunday which was my day 6. I was staggered by my weight loss 12lb + 2in off waist but even more pleased about my blood pressure which had been a very scary 167/104 (does having a heavy cold push your blood pressure up?) and had dropped to 141/92 – still room for improvement, but hugely improved in 6days. Not got equipment for testing my blood sugars, but hoping I can get checked by GP practice in a few weeks.
    Realise improvements in terms of weight, waist etc will probably be much slower now, but great motivation to keep going……without a doubt good for health!!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Heath – that’s amazing on all accounts. Well done!!! And great news re: blood pressure. Mine also seems to be improving although wasn’t as high to begin with – around 135/95 and now around 119/85 on most days.

It just goes to show how great this diet is on all fronts!!

• posted by Heaphster
    on

Hi all.

Well done Heath that’s great.

I have just reached the end of week 1 and I too have lost just over 12lbs. I am amazed by this, given that I have not been seriously hungry on the low carb food at all and I have really enjoyed what I have been eating. I have stuck to 800 or less calories and just below / just over 50g of carbs per day. Next week I go back to work in the office, which will be more challenging I’m sure, but I am up for that challenge.

My other half has been a great support and I am sure Tesco’s are totally baffled by our new shopping lists 🙂 My OH has lost 4lbs this week, so we’ve lost over a stone between us, which we are really pleased with.

I have a fasting blood glucose test on Friday morning, ahead of my first meeting with the diabetes doctor next Thursday. I am really hoping that my blood sugars will be in the normal range and that they are happy for me to stick to the BSD, as I have no intention of taking Metformin until I have given the BSD the full initial 8 weeks. Fingers crossed anyway.

I also watched the documentary “Fixing Dad” that’s mentioned in the BSD book. It’s on YouTube and I found it truly inspiring. Not only is it a lovely story of two sons helping their 62 year old Dad regain his health and, more importantly, control over his health, it’s also an inspiring individual story for anyone embarking on this journey. If you haven’t watched it, I can throughly recommend it.

Finally, can I say that I have found all your posts encouraging and really supportive, as it’s great to know that there’s a bunch of us going through this together. Please keep them coming

All the best and onto week 2 🙂

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Heaphster – that’s fantastic too. Wow – it’s amazing how much we all losing collectively. And thanks for the tip on ‘Fixing Dad’ – I’ll try to watch that this weekend.

I also want to say I’m very thankful to this forum – lots of support, interesting and useful stuff to read and it helps me feel like I’m not alone. Plus it motivates me to drink lots of water, do my steps and not exceed my calories because I want to be able to report back each day that I survived another day!! I don’t know that I’ll be able to sustain such ‘goodness’ but I’m certainly going to give it a try.

• posted by Gled33
    on

Quick response to question earlier in thread. You can buy Norwegian smoked salmon from Lidl which is sugarfree

End of the first week for me yesterday Total loss to date 6.4 lbs

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi Gled33 – well done on your weight loss. That’s brilliant!!

And thanks for the tip about the smoked salmon – I’ll check that out.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I believe that the Smoled almon in Aldi is also sugar-free, but be careful there are two sorts….

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Thanks JulesMaigret – Aldo is much more convenient for me so that’s useful to know.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    Somebody just asked if people are experiencing other benefits of the BSD apart from weight loss and lower BS levels. Well I definitely have, and please excuse me for mentioning this, but for a long time I have been producing ‘splats’ or ‘cowpats’ but since I started the BSD 9 days ago I am producing properly formed stools – so sorry to bring this subject up! Anyone else notice a difference in this department?
    Apparently diabetes can affect the whole digestive tract from mouth to the other end. This could explain the increasing bouts of acid reflux I’ve been having.
    Had my blood test results two days ago, my fasting blood sugar is 7.9. The test is to be repeated in a month, if my blood sugar levels are still high then my doctor will label me a Type 2 diabetic. My health deteriorated quickly from Christmas, finding I’m making a lot of urine in the night, getting up at least twice to wee.
    I broke out in spots a few days ago first time in decades (diabetic acne) but notice today they have cleared up.
    Find I’m not hungry at all.
    Keep going everybody – starting this diet is one of the best things I’ve done.
    Nancy x

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi NancyB – that was probably my post ‘Positive Vibes Needed’?

I was going to post that in here but I thought that it was broad enough to require its own topic. My thing was that my spots have cleared up but someone else mentioned sleeping better and I haven’t had to get up so much to wee in the night – certainly not every night like I used to (despite drinking a lot of water on this new diet).

You are totally excused for mentioning your ‘splats’ as you’ve saved me the embarrassment of broaching the conversation myself. And yes for the most part mine has improved too. I also haven’t needed a Rennie since I started the diet.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Ok – have been experimenting with starting eating later in the day and pushing everything back – helped a little I think and I’m sure it will be better when my body gets used to it. Didn’t do well with water today. It started well but then tailed off.

Today’s summary:
    Calories: 765
    Carbs: 15g
    Water: 2L
    Steps: 13,932
    BS average: 6

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    Day 10 for me.
    Week 1 loss: 8lb
    Been awake since 4.30am, been up three times to wee and it was my very dry mouth which woke me up for good at 4.30am – so no improvement in my diabetes symptoms – yet. Had planned a sleep in today as not working so rather frustrated.
    Started taking cod liver oil couple of weeks ago for arthritis in my right hand – but just read that cod liver oil raises blood sugar levels and a diabetic should consult a doctor before starting to take it. Oh well if I stop taking it will save a few calories.
    Looking forward to a 2-egg garlic mushroom omelette for brunch.
    Nancy x

• posted by Rhi1990
    on

Hi Eveyone,

I started on Monday (6th Feb) so this is my 5th day and it’s the first day I’m not ravenously hungry- hopefully this is a sign of things to come. I think I may have been eating more like 900 calories a day as I was just feeling too faint on 800, despite having lots of protein and fats. I have been experiencing a lot of feeling hunger, feeling cold and headaches (despite drinking 3-4 litres of water a day) but have done research on keto-flu and know that it should pass.

I have some questions about exercise- I’m training for a big run so have been running a lot but my lack of energy this week has meant I’ve steered clear of exercise almost altogether. I need to go for 2 big runs this weekend (between 6-10km for each) and wondered if I should eat a few more cals if so to stave off exhaustion and help my muscles recover? Anyone have any advice?

I’m 26 and not diabetic or pre-diabetic but I do have PCOS and think low carb diets work well for me (I’ve already dropped 4 lbs in first 4 days so feeling positive).

Any advice warmly welcomed!

Thanks
    Rhiannon

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    Just made beef stir-fry with asparagus and sesame seeds – unbelievably delicious.
    I enjoyed shopping for all the ingredients – managed to find them all in a big Tesco – the result was totally authentic, Wagamama would be pressed to beat it!
    Loved it so much will cook it for my friends.
    Nancy x

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ve really got to stop catastrophising my slip-ups. Yesterday afternoon for some reason I stopped tracking my food, had a big chunk of cheese and then a big fatty (high calorie) dinner and felt like I’d failed. But this morning I guesstimated it all into my tracker and it worked out approx 1491 calories and 54g carbs for the day. A lot of (non BSB) people would call that “on a diet”! It really wasn’t as bad as I’d thought, especially the carbs because my dinner didn’t really have many – lamb chops, broccoli in cream sauce, zucchini, and some watermelon for dessert. It’s a 6:1 week, move on.

Please log in or register to post a reply.