Starting 30 January 2017, anyone fancy joining me?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Rhiannon, regarding the exercise question, I would definitely suggest more calories on run days, particularly at the early stages of the diet when your fat burning adaptation is in the early stages. Also I would take a gel or something for emergencies, in case you need it. Try to make do without the extra carbs though, as exercise will speed up the adaptation if you keep low carb. Don’t expect to be setting any personal bests though.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Natalie, I agree, that was a long way from a catastrophe. In fact most of my BSD weightloss was on 5:2 or 4:3 with 1600 calories on the non-fast days. It was slower than the full 800 fast, but still faster than any other weight loss eating plan I have ever tried before. A reverse 6:1 is pretty close to the full 800 fast, so shouldn’t even stall you, particularly as you kept the carbs so low. Well done.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi everyone – hope today has gone well. Sorry I haven’t responded to any of the above posts – work has been busy but I did read them.

So the starting eating later in the day is definitely helping me I think but exercise-wise today was nearly a disaster as had a busy day working from home. By 5pm I hadn’t even reached 1000 steps and it had started to snow! It took a lot layers but I forced myself outside for a 5+ mile walk.

That would have been unthinkable before Xmas. 5 mile walks were reserved for picturesque rambles in the countryside in the summer whilst birdwatching (and taking a leisurely 4-6 hours doing it. Not 1hr40 mins of brisk walking (which I’m trying to do for at least half an hour on a daily basis). So my fitness level has improved massively.

Today’s summary:
    Calories: 800
    Carbs: 18
    Water: 2.25L
    Steps: 13,622

• posted by JuJu68
    on

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven’t been posting much, but I have been keeping up to date with everyone else’s posts and am impressed by the successes so far. Reading this thread is really keeping me motivated!

Natalie / MixnMatch – am with you on the changed mindset this time round, I caved and had two small slices of pizza last night on top of my daily calories, but have just logged it and moved on to today as a new day, rather than using it as an excuse to go off the rails, or worse, abandon the whole eating plan (I’m refusing to call it a diet, LOL!)

I’ve dropped 5.5kg since 30th Jan, and although the scales show a 0.3kg gain in the last two days I’m going to up my water intake and carry on with the plan as it’s obviously working.

Have a lovely weekend all, and if it’s snowing where you are (it is in the south east of the UK!) then wrap up warm!! xx

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    Day 11
    Made first batch of cauliflower rice. Really enjoying cooking the delicious recipes.
    Making the beef stir-fry with asparagus and sesame seeds again tonight but with tofu for my vegetarian friend.
    Diabetes symptoms – second wee in the night not nearly so urgent, some improvement there.
    Feeling lighter on my feet.
    Nancy x

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi JuJu68 – that’s great news, well done!!

NancyB – inspired by your omelette I had scrambled eggs with mushrooms, spring onions and Parmesan cheese for brunch. Nom.

• posted by Rhi1990
    on

Mixnmatch- thanks for your advice! I think it was definitely correct as I burnt 800 calories on the run itself so definitely needed some extra low carb calories!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

As the adaptation gets more complete you may find that you are perfectly fine just on the 800. While I am not a runner I was doing two, hour long sessions of badminton, which is about 600 calories burnt, on an 800 day and not experiencing any weakness or problems. In the earlier days I would hit a ‘wall’ and just feel weak at the end of the second hour but this went totally after a few weeks.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hey all. I have been in a bad mood and miserable today. I’m not sure why – I haven’t been hungry (probably because I’ve upped the fat content of my diet) so goodness knows where this dark cloud has come from.

It hasn’t helped that events today conspired against my planned 5 mile walk through the parks and I ended up slogging through the cold walking alongside busy roads in an attempt to reach my 11K step target.

Cooked the skinny aubergine lasagna this evening. Slight variance with quorn added and green pepper instead of red pepper. End result – scrumptious! Served with broccoli and leafy salad.

Today’s summary:
    Calories: 787
    Carbs: 24g
    Water: 2.5L
    Steps: 11,201

Haven’t done my bloods much over the last few days because I wanted to give my fingers a rest. I’ll try to pick that up again next week.

One more day and then I’ll be 25% through. Whilst I intend to continue with this past the 8 weeks until I reach my target weight, I’m looking forward to having the odd night off and more importantly, the odd night out.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, I also had the aubergine lasagne last night (great minds and all that) and thought it was delicious. Only thing was it turned out a bit sloppy when I served it, probably because the aubergine does not hold it in firm layers as pasta does, but it tasted so good even hubby said he wanted it again. I made the recipe for 2 and found it was a bit too much so I now have a spare portion for another day – for me – hubby will have to wait for another day.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Today is the first day since I started BSD I haven’t made my 11,000 steps target. It was just too cold to stay outside anymore. I could go upstairs and use my step machine but I’m too tired.

Today’s summary:
    Calories: 786
    Carbs: 28
    Steps: 10,196

• posted by FindingMe
    on

Hi Everyone. I’m back on the 800cal program again today after a “oopsy” few days away which, once I started it, I found was Very Hard for me to get myself back in line again and it’s taken me ten days. Ah well, lessons eh.

Shanshu – I hope you don’t mind me suggesting this as I’m certainly not qualified on dieting but do work as a longtime health practitioner. My understanding has always been that if one is feeling tired, particularly in the early stages of a food reduction/change, it is important to rest and not push with the exercise. And if this feeling continues, then it’s advisable to get some health checks done in case some levels have changed and you may need tweaking of medication or food.

Keep up the good work everyone. Still a heatwave here in Oz, phew.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi FindingMe – I definitely don’t mind advice. I’m just not convinced I was tired so much as lazy.

Anyway – well done for getting back on the programme. I anticipate having an ‘oopsy’ day tomorrow as I have a funeral to go to and then it’s Valentines so we are having a meal out. I have a plan to keep close to the 800 calories having perused the menu in advance but it may all go to pot on the day. Hopefully I’ll be able to get straight back to it on Wednesday.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

So I’m 25% through the 8 week programme and so far so good. Mainly…

Except this morning I weighed myself as I have every morning since starting and instead of losing 0.8lb as I did every day this week, I had put on a whole lb. Why?? I’d like to think it’s muscle because I’m exercising more but does that sound right to other people?

Anyway my stats for Week Two:
    Weight loss: 5.6 lb
    Boobs: Down 3 cm
    Chest (beneath boobs): Down 3.5 cm
    Waist: Down 4 cm

Total so far:
    Weight loss: 19.8 lb (incl. 4lb from cutting carbs the week before diet started)
    Boobs: Down 10 cm
    Chest (beneath boobs): Down 15 cm
    Waist: Down 5 cm

So everything is going in the right direction I think (bar the extra lb this morning). Maybe the weight will stop coming off my boobs soon and start coming off everywhere else!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Unlikely to be muscle at 1lb in 24 hours, unless you’re taking ARMs or strong steroids, which I’m guessing you aren’t or you’d probably have mentioned it. More likely to be the body responding to the change in diet/weight by storing a bit of short-term water. I have said it before, but the body is a very complex and resilient thing and can behave in a wholly unpredictable manner.

In my first solid eight weeks, I lost at an average of just under .7lb a day which is, I understand, quite an aggressive drop. This was however far from linear and I did have the oft-mentioned plateaus, but now I try to take a longer term view. I’m now at around 2lb a week and am very happy with that as I drift towards my target, having met my primary health objectives.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    Alcohol?
    I’ve had 4 or 5 G&Ts with diet tonic during these first 12 days of the diet, and this weekend was very good, I think, had just 250ml red wine in pub with friend Saturday night and 125ml red wine with restaurant meal yesterday Sunday lunchtime. I have since read that alcohol should be completely avoided during the first month of the diet to give the liver a chance to start functioning properly. Oh dear – will now endeavour to forego alcohol from now on. What are other people doing in this regard?
    Two week weigh-in for me tomorrow Tuesday at 6pm. Will post result.
    Nancy x

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I gave up the booze for the first eight weeks, but I have an ‘all-or-nothing’ view to things, so it was easy to introduce a complete embargo.

Also I preferred to eat the calories rather than drink them 😉

• posted by Shanshu
    on

JulesMaigret – nope, definitely not taking any of those things. Guess my body is having a weird bump but it’s good to know it’s happened to others too. It’s so disheartening when I’ve been so good!!

NancyB – I’ve gone strictly no booze. Not really an issue for me as only tended to have the odd glass of wine anyway some weekends so I’m just stopping for the 8 weeks.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Also good luck with your weigh-in tomorrow NancyB

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi Shanshu
    I’m used to drinking quite a lot of wine, most of friends like a drink too and social meetups are usually quite boozy – probably how I got this fat in the first place (start: 17st 8lb).
    You are doing brilliantly getting your steps in. I’ve managed to crank it up to walking for a good hour each day which I think is about 6,800 steps.
    Race you to the bottom!
    Nancy x

• posted by NancyB
    on

Day 13:
    Somebody today mentioned chicken skin improving. I too have noticed that the skin on my arms is looking quite alot smoother and younger looking – is it because we are better hydrated?

• posted by Shanshu
    on

End of Day 15

So today I winged it. I meant to do my meal plan at the weekend and … well I didn’t. Not did I go shopping for food so it was a bit of a mishmash of leftovers. Still I got through the day in under 800 calories.

Tomorrow will be difficult as I’m attending my uncle’s funeral and seeing family and they don’t know I’m doing this diet. Didn’t want to worry them with my diagnosis – as my uncle’s death was diabetes-related. So seemed like the worst possible time to bring up a ‘by the way…’ Hopefully I’ll beat this thing and I’ll mention it in passing in the future but for now I’ll keep it under wraps.

Today’s summary:
    Calories: 787
    Carbs: 30g (blimey – what did I eat?)
    Steps: 13,103

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Day 17

Didn’t post yesterday as it was a family member’s funeral and a stressful day all round. Managed to avoid all non ‘allowed’ foods by not eating all day bar an Atkins shake and may have overcompensated on my Valentine’s meal afterwards. However, I think it came in for the day as under 1000 cals all in all and only ate allowed foods. Still put 1.2 lb on overnight but that may be because although I did 13,000 steps, none were from brisk walking so didn’t really exercise per se.

Anyway I hope everyone is ok and your weigh-ins went well.

• posted by Michele62
    on

NancyB – I too have given up alcohol for the first 8 weeks as I really want to be successful with this diet. In Australia, we have Feb Fast in February where lots of people give up alcohol and sugar for a month after our summer of fun. I am finding it has helped as there is no weakening of will power after that first glass. I have dropped 4 kg in 2 and 2/3 weeks. For me that is amazing! Good luck, I am sure you can do it.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    Day 16
    Start weight: 17st 8lb, weight loss to date 12.5lb
    Had my first difficult day yesterday. Went to Prezzo for lunch, had calamari with garlic mayo (shared with friend) followed by winter superfood salad (mainly roasted veg) and a diet G&T. In the evening had approx 250ml red wine. Should’nt have had the booze and calories were probably 1500 to 1600. Didn’t fit any walking in.
    Oh well been v good today, under 800 cals and no booze – and had a good walk.
    Someone asked earlier about recipes in the book. I love the stir-fry beef with asparagus and sesame seeds. Delicious, cooked it about four times now. Chicken korma tomorrow. Going to try the lasagne with aubergine slices instead of pasta sheets on Saturday when my vegetarian friend comes.
    It is my understanding that we weigh less in the morning compared to the evening because during the night we lose around 1.5 pints of water through perspiration and through breathing. During the day through drinking we re-hydrate.
    Another single person has written about the difficulty of adapting recipes for one. I am single and make the recipes as suggested in the book then freeze the left-over portions for another day. Doing this in the long-run saves tremendously on cooking time
    Nancy x

• posted by Laura78
    on

Hi all

Sorry for not posting. I’m on new hours at work and not finding much time but I am reading the posts and am so happy folk are doing well.

I weighed in on Wednesday, which was 2 weeks, and have lost 8lbs, and my tummy is definitely less ‘wodge’ like and clothes are fitting better. Very happy with this. I had 4lb loss each week. I wasn’t expecting the big initial loss as many have experienced as I’d already started cutting back on carbs and had lost 2.5 stone before I started. I’m now 13 st 4lb and feel BSD has helped me kick start things again having flattened after my initial efforts.

I haven’t found it too difficult but like many others I’ve had the odd moment where I’ve been off track, although I’ve noticed it’s been conscious decisions rather than mindlessly ploughing through food just because.
    I’ve been listening to something called slimpods and I think that’s having a positive effect in helping me stay on track.

I’m also walking lots, something I’ve always done, but have noticed I’m really picking up my pace as I feel lighter on my feet and have more energy.

Thanks everyone for the messages you’re posting, it’s really useful and supportive reading about others experiences.

Best wishes to everyone…

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi NancyB and Laura78 – well done on the weight loss both of you. Like you Laura78, I definitely feel lighter on my feet (although haven’t lost anywhere near as much as you overall).

I’ve started to gain weight and I don’t know why. I’m walking 13,000 steps a day, I’m eating only ‘allowed’ foods at 800 or less calories a day and I’m keeping my carbs less than 30g a day (sometimes a lot less – yesterday I had 16g for example). I’m also drinking at least 2.5L of water a day.

However this (my third) week – I have gained 2lb. I expected weight gain to slow, maybe even plateau for awhile but not go up!! What am I doing wrong? I’m really disheartened.

• posted by Laura78
    on

Hi Sahanshu
    That’s really disheartening but keep on doing what you’re doing. Back in the summer I weighed by self and had put on 4 lbs in a week and was really fed up. Ending up thinking sod it and had a big takeaway haha. Weighed myself a few days later… the 4lbs had gone and so had an extra 2?! What’s that about. The body is a bit of a mystery. Could be hormonal and holding on to water or could just be a funny old week. Keep going because eventually your body is sure to catch up with all your good efforts and hard work.
    L

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sahanshu – As Laura says, there are many reasons plateaux and even small gains happen. Weight loss isn’t linier and there will be small bounce back along the way. However, I have found that it can help to occasionally up your carb intake and this somehow seems to kick start things again and get things moving in the right direction. Try upping you carbs to a bit above the 30g mark for a day or two and see if that helps.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Thanks Laura78 and SunnyB.

Reading around I can see it’s not just me which makes me feel a little better about things. Will drink more today and see how it goes tomorrow. I might also looking at reducing my salt intake and if that doesn’t work then up my carbs temporarily.

• posted by Heaphster
    on

Hi all,

So I finished week 2 a couple of days ago, with my weight loss standing at 18lbs at that point. I am really pleased and very encouraged to continue. The weight loss is slowing down, no doubt, but I think 3-4lb a week going forward is achievable, so I’m targeting somewhere around a 36-40lb loss at the end of week 8, which would hit the 15% body weight loss recommended in the BSD book.

I have also now had my formal fasting blood glucose test and met my surgery’s diabetes doctor and nurse, who were really nice and encouraging.

The great news is that I have seen improvements in both my Plasma fasting glucose level (the one that’s a snapshot of your current blood sugar level, such as you get using a testing monitor at home) which had dropped from 6.4, teetering on the brink of being “diabetic, down to a very “normal” 4.4. More exciting is that my HbA1c level (which has been described to me as like a 3-month average reading which the doctor is most bothered about) has already dropped from 59 to 54 (10% down in less than 2 weeks!), so well on the way to a level of 48, where I would “only be” pre-diabetic and on course for 42 or lower which is “normal” ie non-diabetic!

All I can say is that I am really excited that this appears to be working so far and that it seems that I will be able to reverse away from this damaging condition.

What was great about my diabetes doctor is that she had heard of the BSD and Prof Roy Taylor’s work and she actually clapped her hands together in happiness when I told her about my low carb diet and my weight loss to date. She said that she and her nurse were always pleased to meet well informed and motivated patients who really wanted to beat this thing.

Finally, she also said one other really encouraging thing, which was she already has several patients who have followed a low carb path, successfully reversing their diabetes and who are managing to stay that way. I was sent away with no medication and an appointment for a fasting glucose blood test in 3 months, a request to keep up the good work and a target of a HbA1c reading of 42 or lower in May 17 🙂

At this stage, I could not have asked for anything more.

All the best everyone and into week 3

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Great start Heaphster. Well done. Also good you have supportive medical people. Best wishes.

• posted by Laura78
    on

Heaphster- what an amazing achievement already! Massive well done 🙂

• posted by JuJu68
    on

Great progress Heaphster! And well done on your progress too, NancyB and Laura78, and sorry for anyone I’ve left off – I have been reading regularly but am useless at updating. Shanshu, how are you doing?

JulesMaigret I’m exactly the same with an all-or-nothing approach, I definitely do better as an abstainer rather than a moderator lol!

Today’s weigh in and I’m actually up 0.3kg from last week. However, I know this is most likely due to the little “extras” I’ve been slipping in over the weekend – mostly healthy, like a teaspoon of Meridian peanut butter (times three or four trips to the cupboard though!), but with the occasional less healthy, such as a small slice of cheesecake last night. This has to stop, so I’ve signed myself up for the next four week challenge on this forum too, to try and keep me on track.

I’m off to running club tonight – I went last Wednesday for the first time in three weeks, and I really struggled, but not due to fitness – I was okay for the first 20 seconds of each stint (it’s broken into distances and/or times throughout the session), but then felt like my arms and legs were made of lead and it was such an effort to keep going. I know I should persevere until I’m able to utilise my fat stores, but tonight I plan to have a slice of wholemeal bread with peanut butter an hour before I go, to see if that makes a difference. I’ve already counted it in my cals / carbs allowance for the day.

Does anyone else find they’re struggling like this when exercising? Reading on other threads, it seems to be around three weeks until you’re fat-adapted, but I parked on the top floor of the multi-storey at work this morning (three flights of stairs) and felt like I was wearing deep sea diving gear by the time I got to the top this afternoon! Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

Hope you’ve all seen some good results this week x

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hello everyone – sounds like there has been some great success so well done everyone so far and also everyone who has still persevered even if you haven’t had the best week.

I stopped posting a daily summary because I was the only one and it was largely the same numbers each time (just under 800 cals, 30g or less carbs, 2.5L water, 13,000 steps) – however I’m still keeping to all those. Plus work has been taking over my life so I just haven’t had a chance to post (although I have been reading everyone’s comments).

So I posted a few days back that I had a weird weight increase of 2lbs despite keeping to the diet and not cheating. I was advised on here that it’s not uncommon in Week 3 and to keep going. So I did and whilst this week was disappointing in comparison to previous weeks, I did manage to lose 2lbs in the end (on top of relosing those pesky 2lbs that crept on).

So everything is still going in the right direction and hopefully I’ll lose some more in Week 4.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Juju68 – I’m definitely feeling more tired whenever it comes to stairs. Walking I’m ok with. I have found that previously walking fast was great exercise for me but now that I’ve lost nearly 2 stone, I’m finding it easier and therefore less effective.

I am going to try to add some non-walking exercise this week. Perhaps some swimming and some Lateral Thigh Trainers. But not tonight – tonight I’m zonked.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Sorry for third post in a row but had 20 minutes to spare and wanted to share some positive things that I’ve noticed this last week. Whilst my weight loss on the last 7 days was minimal, there’s lots of other things to be happy about.

– lots of my clothes are hanging off me (including my bras)
    – I can walk further and faster than I’ve done in a long time and no longer need to catch my breath
    – my bf is constantly telling me he can see and feel the changes in my shape
    – I’m don’t nap anymore because on the whole I’m less tired
    – I took a selfie with my bf on Valentine’s Day and it was the first selfie I’ve ever taken where I thought I looked ok and was willing to let my bf show it to others

Anyone else got positive things they want to share?

• posted by Michele62
    on

Hi everyone,
    Juju68 – I am having the same problem with stairs. I am doing a 6 km walk most days and it has a big hill/ stair climb in it. If anything, I feel that my stamina is declining. My body feels like lead 3/4 of the way up. I am planning just to endure it until maintenance unless someone has a great tip.

Shanshu- my positive news is that I bought a new dress today a size smaller than usual and quite form fitting (waist up) and I think it looks pretty good.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    Day 21
    Start weight: 17st 8lb – lost 12.5lb in first two weeks.
    Week 3 weigh in tonight at WeightWatchers at 6pm – hoping for another 3lb off.
    Have been having brunch + dinner with a snack of 20g nuts inbetween.
    Doing the 16:8 as well with ease – brunch just after 10am and dinner just before 6pm. Decided to add in half an avocado with my nuts snack every day as avocados are so good for you, but it’s alot of calories to add into the 800 limit.
    Love the recipes in the book, this week cooked the chicken korma which was delicious much tastier than an Indian restaurant! And made the skinny aubergine lasagne when my veggie friend came Saturday which was lovely.

Shanshu: Well done – your weight loss is amazing!

Nancy x

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi NancyB – good luck with your weigh-in. I’m sure you’ll do great. I’m really impressed with how you’re doing 16:8. I’ve been trying to push my breakfast back to 10am which is just about doable depending on how much exercise I throw into the 4 hours before. However I rarely manage to eat earlier than 7.30 by the time I get home from work.

Also whilst I am pleased with my weight loss it’s not quite as much as I thought it was – mainly because I didn’t convert lbs to stones very well. So whilst I’ve lost over a stone and a half so far I’m not as close to the 2 stone loss that I thought I was.

Still I’m less than I’ve been since I lost 2 stone on a ‘heartbreak diet’ so I’m still happy!

• posted by NancyB
    on

Start weight: 17st 8lb
    Week 1 – 8lb loss
    Week 2 – 4.5 loss
    Just got back from Week 3 weigh-in at WeightWatchers – lost 1.5lb. Rather disappointed was hoping for 3lb.
    Made some mistakes this last week, ate lunch at Prezzo, probably drank a total of 1 bottle red wine during course of the week, 2 full fat G&Ts, 2 diet G&Ts and missed exercise a couple of days. All this probably adds up to equivalent of 1lb of fat, so if I had been good I should have lost another pound, which would have made a loss of 2.5lb.
    Calories today: 911
    Carbs today: 53
    If I am going to reach my goal of being a ‘normal’ weight and in size 14 jeans by the end of June I am going to have to be much more disciplined.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi Shanshu
    Which date did you start the BSD? I started 1st Feb.
    What was your start weight? Mine was 17st 8lb.
    Nancy x

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi Nancy – I started on 30th January so just two days ahead than you, although I lost 4lbs in the week before simply by cutting down a little on carbs so it wouldn’t be such a shock when I started.

So I was 17st 11 on 23 Jan and 17st 7 when I started BSD. Am now 16st 3 and am desperate for the scales to read 15st something because it’s been a very long time since that happened.

So 18lbs lost on diet and 22lbs in total.

• posted by Heaphster
    on

Dear all,

Quick end of third week update:

So I have now lost just over 25lbs which makes me very happy. (My wife has also lost a really impressive 11lbs, so 36lbs between us in 3 weeks!!!)

I had to buy some new clothes this week and walking into M&S knowing they would have clothes on the rack that would fit me was something I haven’t done in a decade, as was digging out long unworn clothes to find they now fit. In the end, this diet is going to cost a fortune in new clothes, but what price your health?

Anyway I am now facing a real challenge, as for the next ten days I will be away from home at a very large industry convention, which consists of me rushing from meeting to meeting and grabbing food on the go. I am hoping that a solid, healthy breakfast and holding out until I can have a protein and vegetable rich dinner, such as steak, fish or chicken. I will also carry small packets of almonds to keep me going and drink lots of water. “Networking cocktails/drinks” without drinking are also going to be a challenge, but water or diet coke will have to do. Anyway if I return in early March with a few pounds off, or even staying the same I will be very happy.

Anyway, into week 4.

All the best all.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Heaphster – that’s amazing loss. Well done!!

• posted by JuJu68
    on

Well done on the continued great losses Heaphster!

I’ve tried to stay on track for the last couple of days, and it’s paid off as I’ve lost 1kg since Sunday after a two week plateau! I’m now 74.1kg from a starting weight of 78.9kg, though still have a way to go to reach my 65kg target.

Shanshu, my positives are:
    – my clothes are getting quite loose (will need some new work trousers soon!)
    – I have more energy overall, feel more mentally alert and no longer have that mid-afternoon slump (although wish my stamina would return when I’m running and climbing stairs 😉 )
    – my husband can see I’ve lost weight!

As far as my eating pattern is concerned, I drink lots of water and black coffee during the day and try to leave my first meal until as late as possible, as once I start it seems to set off my hunger. I eat any time from 2-5pm, then have my main meal with the rest of the family around 7.30-8pm and that keeps me going overnight. I seem to be hungrier of late again, not sure if that’s because I’ve increased my activity levels, but will try to up my fats within the 800cals to see if that makes any difference.

I also found that I had a little more energy at running club on Monday after eating a slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter an hour beforehand – not sure if it was that or my body’s starting to adapt to the new eating, but will do it again tonight. Need to eat it a little earlier this time though, as wasn’t quite time enough to digest it before running lol xx

• posted by JuJu68
    on

Oops just realised I was 79.8kg on 30th Jan, not 78.9kg! Running was still like wading through treacle during the longer segments tonight, but the slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter beforehand seems to be helping a little x

• posted by Shanshu
    on

JuJu68 – I’m finding I’m constantly stiff these days. Once I’m up and moving I’m fine and more mobile than ever (unless hills/stairs are involved) but those few moments when I first get up are embarrassing.

I also applaud you for running – I keep thinking of taking it up but all that weight on my knees has ruined them I think.

It wasn’t a good day for me. Worked about 17 hours today – pretty much straight through stuck behind my PC with the occasional toilet and snack breaks. Kept within my 800 calories (just) but didn’t really have a meal all day per se so much as protein snacks. I’ve eaten a lot of fish!

The worse part is failing on my steps. I should go out now but it’s raining and I’m exhausted and I have an early start. But to go from an average of 13k steps a day to less than 1k today is very annoying.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hello everyone. It’s been a tough week one way or another – it started by me having trouble fitting my steps in due to work and ended with me being away for the weekend which was better on the step count and gave me access to a gym and swimming pool but meant it was harder to manage the calorie and carb count. I think I managed to stay in or only slightly over but my carbs were higher over 50g on Sat.

So… I’ve just weighed myself. So the stats:
    Weight loss this week (4): 7lbs
    Total loss: 29lbs (13.5kg)

I’m so happy because this so many milestones have just been reached:

1) I’ve now lost more than 2st
    2) I am now 2 digits and not 3 when it comes to total kg
    3) I no longer weigh more than my bf
    4) I can now say I’m 15st something (it’s been a long time since I’ve been able to say that)

I appreciate this level of fat burn won’t stay as high but yay for good weeks. I have no doubt that the exercise I did over the weekend (1hr of gym and 1hr of swimming) really helped my loss. Going to need to find ways of upping my exercise without those things.

• posted by Michele62
    on

Congratulations Shanshu on all those milestones. It’s nice to hear how everyone is going and be inspired by each small win. I am feeling happy too asI have lost half my goal weight. (There is another goal if I make the first one, but that will come later).

How is everyone else going? Are you all still hanging in through the good days and bad?

Please log in or register to post a reply.