Starting 30 January 2017, anyone fancy joining me?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sue Sheehy
    on

Hi Shanshu, thanks so much for your welcome! I just came from a doctor’s appointment to get blood test results, which were mostly excellent, with just a .2 to be knocked off my blood sugar now ; ) Best part was that my doctor has bought the book and is really keen to get her head around it….she’s using me as her guinea pig to see if it works, so there’s a bit of extra motivation!

• posted by Yen
    on

Hi everyone,

I turn 60 this year and I have decided for my own health I need to tackle this. I have never been so motivated as now! After months of reading (even the background research to BSD) and preparation – finding 8 weeks where there isn’t celebrations/plans which would sabotage me was difficult! I have a really poor maternal history as far as T2 diabetes goes so although not T2 yet the writing was on the wall. I am very obese according to my BMI and have a lot to loose, plus a couple of years ago I had a scan and was told I had a fatty liver (I was just sent away and told ‘to loose weight’). This is the first time on a forum so not sure how it works, but giving it a go.

So this is me so far. As planned I started on 16 Jan so now I am in week 3 day 5 and struggling a bit this week. I found the first 2 weeks incredibly easy and lost 12lbs, but this week I’m craving ‘extras’. I am planning every sunday evening for the week, using mainly recipes from the recipe book. I am finding them tasty but sometimes a bit fiddly and time consuming (I have two men in my family to feed too so they are having the same as me just with extra carbs – I can’t cope with cooking two different meals every evening!!). I have a busy lfe, working full time and supporting my disabled husband and elderly father. I am getting a bit of ‘cooking fatigue’ as towards the end of a week when I’m getting tired we often used to have a couple of meals which were takeaways/convenience ones (although I always did cook from scratch otherwise) so feel like I’m not getting a break from cooking. I realise I need some support on this journey and although I have a group of friends and work colleagues who are being very encouraging I find I need some ‘like minded’ supporters so heres hoping.

I haven’t had time to completely read through this forum yet – but from what I’ve already seen I realise I perhaps am not drinking enough water so I will up that from today. I need to commit more to getting my step count up too so perhaps getting a walk in before work is going to have to be on the agenda.

• posted by Sue Sheehy
    on

Hi Yen, and welcome from another newbie! Like you, I do find some of the recipes a bit too time-consuming and I’ve told myself that things may just have to be a bit repetitive for the time being. I’ve managed a couple of party-type situations by just making sure I eat well earlier in the day, then have very small portions of what’s on offer. Or none if I can get away with it; )
    Like you, I have too much to lose – other than weight – if I don’t see this through! All the very best.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi Yen,

Sounds like you’ve done great so far. I’m two weeks behind you on this journey so not sure I can offer wisdom on the cooking fatigue thing. Although I cooked occasionally, I often bought convenience food as I’d be late back from work etc. and occasionally my bf would cook in the evening but he’d mainly do a weekend fry-up.

I’m getting bored of weighing everything out but not of cooking as yet. Could you make double portions for later in the week maybe to give you a night off? For example, something like a stir fry can be cooked in a big batch and then you can freeze the rest.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

So what is this Day 5? I’m working from home today which makes getting in steps a little harder so I’ve gone for a 2.5 mile walk first thing so at least I’m halfway there). Will do a brisk walk this evening to get the steps to where they should be.

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi Yen

I feel your pain – it’s very tough when you work and have caring duties at home. I’m not in your situation but do have a busy job, with long hours, and two dogs that need walking twice a day so I have to plan my meals, and spending more than about 20 minutes prepping food is not what I want! My OH and I have settled into a pattern of meals that are quick and easy. They include, from the original BSD Cook,
    Chicken and Asparagus Salad
    Spicy Chicken Lentils
    Mexican Hash

and from the recipe book
    Pork Steak with mustard sauce
    Baked cod and chorizo
    Full English breakfast (for dinner)

These have become our ‘staples’ as they take about 5 minutes to prep (although obviously a little longer to cook but most you just shove in the oven). We do go ‘off piste’ sometimes and inject some variety and that tends to be at the weekend when we have more time. We’ve lost 60lbs between us in the last 4 months.
    Good luck – and your first post was great!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi topcac

Thank you for posting your suggestions for quick easy meals – I may try a few of those next week.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi Susie3
    I started the BSD on the 1st February.
    I am 57, live in Hampshire, England, and now weigh my heaviest at 17st 8lbs – I have been fat for 22 years now. I am pre-diabetic and my health has been deteriorating for a few months. I’ve had the book for a few months, but decided that only I can help myself – and I am now very determined to succeed. I would love to ‘buddy up’ with you and share my progress with you and support you with your BSD. It seems that we have had a similar amount of weight to lose. My goal is to be a normal weight and a size 14 in jeans by the end of June.
    So far, so good, day 3 – not hungry at all.
    Made delicious cod with peas and lettuce last night.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Nancy x

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi Heaphster – hold off on getting the SD Codefree one that I recommended. I’ve been getting suspicious results today.

• posted by Natalie
    on

For some reason I thought I had a clear eight weeks with not much on. Yeah….. no. After actually writing everything in my diary, I find I have an anniversary party at a restaurant tonight, an engagement party, a wedding that involves a weekend away, my husband’s birthday… I think that is all. I’m strapping myself into the life raft ready to ride the temptation rapids!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi Natalie – I don’t know what to suggest. I also have this dilemma coming up as on Tuesday we have friends coming over for a birthday party/takeaway but I’m just planning on prepping something else and eating with them but not the same as them and then the following week I will be attending my uncle’s funeral. My whole family is there and they don’t know I’m doing this diet or that I have diabetes so I’m not sure what I’m going to do. Possibly eat before and after? I can’t imagine the wake will have anything healthy. Then in March there is a weekend away for a friends bday. Probably will do meal replacements for that. Or premake some food and keep it in a cool bag.

As for the weekend away – can you have replacement meal/drinks for the most part and then try not to overindulge during the actual eating bits.

I’m sure people have been doing this a lot longer will be able to respond with better ideas as I’m sure they’ve faced it too.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Gah – wrote a long post and lost it. Probs for the best. Long story short, I didn’t eat chocolate today even though the circumstances almost certainly warranted it so yay me. I also couldnt get my steps up to target in an evening walk because of the storm so has to dog out my old step trainer thingy from where it has been gathering dust behind a bunch of other unused junk in a cupboard. It took 30 mins but I got my steps in eventually and worked up a sweat!

Today’s summary:
    Calories: 752
    Carbs: 10g
    Water: 3L
    Steps: 11,036

Hope everyone else had a good day but if not there’s always tomorrow 🙂

• posted by Yen
    on

Thanks for the welcome Sue, Shanshu and topcac. Also thanks for the encouragemet with the cooking fatigue. I’m not fortunate enough to have men who can cook but last night they had a takeaway and I just had to look after myself, which was a break of sorts. I am certainly going to look at doing more batch cooking/doubling up so that I’m not cooking everyday.

I have tried all the dishes you mentioned from the recipe book Topcac (plus lots more) – I really enjoyed them all and they will stay part of my repertoire. I must go back to the original BSD book when i do next week’s plan as I am obviously missing out on some good ideas!

Upped my water consumption yesterday, and so far today. Definately feeling better for it. I spotted in another forum today the idea of making flavoured tea and chilling it which I thought I’d give a try. It will then add variety to the cold drinks of water, water with lemon, or mint or cucumber as well as sparkling water. Variety being the spice of life!

I’m finding increasing my steps difficult so might have to look at getting up earlier and going out for a walk before work! Currently too overweight to do anything too strenuous but been looking on here at the 10 minute HIT regime and thinking I might aim for that initially when out walking.

Had a look at the My Fitness Pal and Fat Secret apps but hate the thought of the time which I would have to spend inputting everything I eat. Decided to just rely on the calorie count given in the recipe book and work it all our when I plan the week on a Sunday evening. I’ll see where that takes me.

End of Week 3 on Monday morning – I’m hoping that I will have got rid of at least a whole stone (14lbs) since starting.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Yen – keep us updated and good luck.

Re: step count. I too am overweight and looking to lose at least 100lbs. I invested in a Fitbit before Xmas which helps me keep focused on doing steps. I try to make sure I walk before work, during lunch and in the evenings. However, I appreciate with people dependent on you that makes it much harder to find the time.

• posted by Yen
    on

Thanks Shanshu I will let you know how I do.

I too have a fitbit (in fact I’ve had it at least a year where it’s not inspired me but at least I have plenty of baseline data – haha). I’ve already started lunchtime walking, but like you I will have to try and get more in morning and evening. Here in the UK it’s still dark when I get home from work, but will just have to brave the cold and get out there.

• posted by annie2
    on

Lovely catching up with everyones progress. Weigh day is Monday for me.
    At the weekend I take the chance to plan the next weeks food, as I find I need to be organised if I am not going to cave in & grab a pizza !!
    Luckily my son has joined me & OH is eating the same with the addition of some carbs as he is slim & jogs a lot.

Today I have made a batch of cauliflower rice as I got 2 huge caulis for a £1 each in Waitrose. I battle with my processor everytime ! but I won eventually & I find the rice freezes well.
    Tonight I am doing a Tapas style meal with hallomi, garlic mushrooms, carb free chick nuggetts with tomato salsa & cauliflower cheese ‘bread’ sticks !!

I like the recipes in the book, but as I am in it for the long haul I have bought Tom kerridge’s Dopamine diet book. It has loads of carb free recipes as I dont want to get bored !!

This weekends treat was the Pear, Brazil nut & chocolate brownies. Easy to make & delicious. I can recommend them.
    I was pleased with them after my flapjack failures !!

Have a good weekend

• posted by Heaphster
    on

Hi all

Day 4: Going well so far, with the help of my family. It’s been a bit tougher today, but I have stayed focused, drunk lots of water and eaten right; so all good.

I am trying to get my step count up. I have been off sick from work recently and the effects of the illness I had are still there somewhat, so I am taking it a bit easier on the exercise front until I am back to normal. That said I should make 7,000 steps today.

I also managed a 10 – 15 minutes mindfulness session. I’m in the UK, so the weather isn’t great. But the sun was shining this afternoon, so I sat out in the garden with the sun on my face and just calmed down, closed my eyes, listened to the birds and chilled out. I am no “tree hugging hippie”, but it really helped and I felt refreshed and a little less hungry afterward. So I will be trying to do this every day.

Brunch was a large Portobello mushroom, baked beans and scrambled egg (The mushroom was great, it was large, filled me up, but has virtually no carbs and just 10 calories!)

Dinner tonight will by lamb tagine with cous cous: I just need to be careful with portion control and fill up on the veg.
    So I should be within the calorie and carb target for the day

I have also “discovered” raw sugar snap peas as a great mid-day snack, to tide me over until dinner.

Finally, the weight is falling off of me. Early days I know, but it’s very encouraging. I am a “part diagnosed” type 2, as the raised blood sugar was picked up in a blood test looking at other issues, so I am not doing my fasting blood test until the 10th Feb. I am really hoping that it will be in the normal range by then, fingers crossed. (Obviously, the diet / new way of eating will still go on until I hit my long term, “over-optimistic” target.

All the best.

• posted by Busybee
    on

I too like the Dopermine diet book – it is well presented with lovely pictures and good instructions. What a shame he didn’t include calories as well as carbs?
    X B

• posted by annie2
    on

I agree Busybee, calories would have helped us. He does say calorie counting wasnt for him ! I suppose he was just trying to lose weight & not his blood sugars. As far as I know he was not diabetic.

I have a huge issue with potion control & so am using his recipes & trying to really keep my portions small. I am not diabetic & weight loss is my issue too. I dont have 11 stone to lose though !!

My Tapas style meal was a success, but a bit of a faff to make !! We all feel full-I hope I havent overdone the calories though !!!

My OH has remarked that we are having a huge variety of foods , I hope that doesnt mean for the last 30 years my cooking has been boring !!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Ok today has been alright. Went for a 8.5 mile walk and then went shopping for this evening’s meal to find that aubergines were not available any where. Ended up changing the recipe and using cauliflower rice instead. It wasn’t bad.

Felt very down today but that is probably not diet related.

Today’s summary:
    Calories: 709
    Carbs: 20g
    Water: 3L
    Steps: 20,009

• posted by Natalie
    on

The party I went to last night was a buffet at an Italian restaurant and there was almost nothing BSD friendly – all deep fried or starchy carbs (or both, like Aranccini deep-fried balls of rice, and deep-fried pizza dough balls which is apparently a “thing” now). I had a few bits and pieces along with some salad (who knows what was in the dressing) and four glasses of water and I weigh the same this morning as I did yesterday so I think did ok!

Shanshu thanks for the suggestions. I don’t do meal replacements though – yuck! Real food only for me.

I also have a Fitbit but I’ve tried to wear it several times and after a couple of days it starts to rub my skin badly and it’s too uncomfortable. I’m impressed with people getting out in the dark and cold to exercise, here it’s the opposite with blistering heat.

• posted by Susie3
    on

Hi Nancy…hope you’ve had an encouraging weekend?! I seem to have lost my appetite, which is a mixed blessing as I’m forgetting to cook meals for everyone else 😉 They are very good though, and mostly fend for themselves…
    Yes, of course I’d be happy to track with you over these weeks/months to weight loss and better health ☺! I don’t have a date in mind, but my goal is 75kg (11.8 stone), so I have a long way to go from my 16.7 stone today.
    I’d probably find it easier & more personal if we used our own email though, rather than the forum? Mine is sue@sheehyclan.com – maybe drop me a line there if that would work for you?
    Cheers, Sue x

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    Shansu – 20,000 steps what a terrific achievement the weight will fall off you!
    Day 4 for me, so far so good not hungry at all.
    Had a v tasty garlic mushroom 2-egg omelette for brunch and for dinner a chicken with broccoli and spinach.
    I will get my blood test results early next week and will find out how far down the road I am towards diabetes.
    I must be honest with this board in that I do have a signficant psychiatric disorder – bipolar disorder – which has been very well controlled with medication for the last five years or so. Will be interesting to see if this diet affects my mood and wellbeing.
    Feeling very determined.
    Starting weight 17st 8lb – my goal is to be a ‘normal’ weight by end of June and in size 14 (UK) trousers.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Slight typo in previous post – I did not eat ‘a chicken’ for dinner, I actually ate just a modest portion of chicken.
    I joined Weightwatchers several months ago, I shall continue to attend the Tuesday evening weigh-in solely for the discipline of a weekly weigh-in on very accurate scales. I have told the leader of this Weightwatchers group that I am concentrating on the BSD diet and she is OK with that and I think she will be very supportive.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Susie3
    How incredible – we were posting at the same time just now. Yes, we are very similar. I am 5’8″ and weigh 17st 8lb and like you would like to lose 5 stone taking me down to 12st 8lb. Good idea to use e-mail, my address is nancybutler27@hotmail.com.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Susie3
    It’s v late here in UK – 11.30pm at night – very tired about to go to bed. Well e-mail you in the morning.
    Nancy x

• posted by Heath
    on

Hi All. Sounds like everyone doing good, which is great. I am doing ok. Felt hungry for first time today, although maybe I got away with it earlier in the week because I had a heavy cold. I am sticking to 2 meals per day lunchtime and evening and it generally feels fine. Has chicken korma out of bsd recipe book today – delicious!!
    Nancy / Susie3 – I am starting from similar position as you. I am 57. Weighed 17st 9lb last Monday. Been overweight for last30yrs nearly. Tried every diet under sun, but never stuck with them. Last health check my blood sugar test was high and the gave me the jolt I needed to sort out my health.
    I am going to weigh and measure again tomorrow – Monday mornings are always too rushed, so going to settle on Sundays as wi day.
    Night everyone.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi Heath
    Think we could help each other with support. My e-mail address is nancybutler27@hotmail.com. I am already in touch by e-mail with Susie3 in Australia. Do get in contact.
    Day 5 for me today, finding it very difficult to forego my very milky coffees and teas. Like you I am finding it easier to control the calories by just having two meals, brunch and dinner with just 20g of nuts as a snack inbetween.
    Nancy x

• posted by Heath
    on

Hi Nancy. That would be great. Will drop you a quick email now. Heather x

• posted by FindingMe
    on

Aargh. Today is Day 14 for me and I blew it the past 3 days when away Campervanning in the bush with a group.

I was going so well at home the first 11 days and was so pleased with myself. I’m now back home but am feeling that old sinking disappointment that Ive failed myself yet again stuff.

It’s nearly bedtime here in a continuing very hot Queensland, and I’m hoping I will restart “the program” in the morning but not as confident as I was 🙄

Great to read how well everyone is going though. Cheers.

• posted by Annepod
    on

Hello all, I haven’t been a frequent poster but I have been watching all of the posts and have found all of the information and advice very helpfull and motivating. It’s good to know that I have not been alone in my constant fight to lose weight for the past 20 years. I have not had a diabetes diagnosis but would consider myself at high risk. I am approx 3 stone overweight and carry most of my weight around my stomach. I also have a family history of type 2. I would imagine that I am insulin resistant which needs reversing. I am now on day 8. I have been having 2 meals a day, I was never a breakfast person so have not found that difficult and I think a daily fast to lower insulin release is a good idea. I have stuck steadfast to below 800 calories and have been keeping my daily carb count to below 30g.
    I can’t say that it has been really easy because I find the portion sizes very small and it has been difficult cooking for 5 others in my household before I cook for myself. I work full time so lunches have to be organised the evening before. All is manageable though with a bit of planning and forethought.
    I have been trying to up my daily steps and with the help from a friend have been walking every evening. I have managed to get from a poor 1000 steps a day to about 7000. I am aiming to manage 10,000.
    Anyway, I just wanted to say it really works. I have lost 8lb this week and 6 cm from my waist measurement. This is a big motivator and is encouraging me to keep going.
    So thank you for your posts and good luck for the next week.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi FindingMe – somewhere in the book it talks about lapses. It’s unlikely to have set you all the way back to the beginning and may not have done as much damage as you think. Either way don’t despair. This is a long haul thing – this is a new way of life and not a diet (although we calorie control in the beginning) so we can’t be perfect 100% of the time. I suspect the trick is to just start up again rather than give up.

All is not lost – you were good for a week and a bit so you know it can be done.

Also it must be very hard when campervanning to be good. I think about when I go camping and we live off white bread whilst we’re waiting for the Trangia to cook us something nice.

Be nice to yourself xxx

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi Nancy B – thanks for the encouragement. I got lucky with time yesterday so instead of driving fifteen mins to the shops I walked the long way around through the parks to get there which was really pleasant and great for birdwatching.

Unfortunately such a large amount of steps won’t be a daily occurrence.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Annepod – that’s amazing. Well done!! Especially getting your step count up. I find the hardest thing about getting your step count up is the time. I am very overweight (would like to lose at least 7 stone from my starting weight) so can’t walk fast which means really dedicating the time to exercise.

I know I’ve lost some weight but I’m doing my measurements this evening so hopefully will have lost a few centimetres too.

I really admire everyone who is managing to do this and cater for others too – I don’t know how you manage it. I am very lucky – I am either making for myself or my bf and I are cooking together (or he’s cooking for me). He is hugely supportive so when he’s over is eating what I eat with the occasional extra carbs on the side.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

My Veg Frittata for brunch = 308 cals / 7.8g carb

(I didn’t like the look of the recipe in the book as lots of carbs so came up with my own which I’ve just cooked and it was delicious!).

Recipe below is for two servings:

Frylight 1 cal spray x 2
    4 large eggs, whisked
    80g Greek Feta, crumbled
    95g closed cup mushrooms (4), sliced
    134g green pepper (1 medium size pepper), chopped
    150g courgette, chopped
    42g spring onion, chopped (4)
    70g young spinach
    Chives, chopped (1 tbsp)
    Fresh mint, chopped (1 tsp)
    Fresh coriander, chopped (2 tsp)

Method:
    Add 2 sprays to a small but deep frying pan and then sweat the courgettes for 2 mins.
    Add mushrooms and stir – sweat for another 2 mins
    Add pepper and spring onions – continue to sweat for another minute
    Add spinach – stir thoroughly and cover and leave for 2 mins
    Crumble in feta, add all other ingredients, stirring gently as you add the egg
    Let that set on a gentle heat for two mins
    Put under grill until brown and puffy
    Test by inserting a knife – there should be minimal liquid

I’m told you’re supposed to then let it cool and eat at room temperature but I was far too hungry to do that and it tasted lovely freshly cooked!

• posted by Annepod
    on

Thanks sanshu, I am not planning to post my weekly loss normally , as I know it is not a competition but I was so thrilled this morning when I weighed I just had to share. Never in my life have I lost that so much weight in such a short amount of time. I didn’t believe this eating plan would work so well.
    The frittata recipe sounds good – will definitely try it.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi Heather – look forward to hearing from you.
    Wondering if you’ve got my address OK – nancybutler27@hotmail.com.
    Day 5 for me – going OK not hungry, so far so good.
    Nancy x

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi FindingMe, nothing has been lost. Whatever is done is done, and if you start again straight away then the worst you will have is a perfectly valid 4:3 week, if not quite so med style as you would like. The fasting way of life is very forgiving of transgressions in my opinion and you may find you don’t have to go through withdrawal again with quite a short exposure to the bad stuff.

• posted by Floaty
    on

Hi all
    Started yesterday after hearing Michael Mosley on BBC Radio 2. Have tried various diets and while I do eat reasonably healthy never seem to lose much weight.
    Have the book and the recipe book and yesterday and today enjoyed cooking something different. Very motivated today !

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi floaty – welcome to the board. Like you I thought I ate relatively healthy (although I sometimes I had a portion control problem) and so I never lost weight. This is my 7th day and I’m so impressed. The food is great –
    although it takes some getting used to – and I’m definitely losing weight. I’m sure that will slow down next week but so far so good!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

By ‘takes some getting used to’ – I mean the prepping, weighing, counting part and also the small portions.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

The interesting thing is how quickly the portion sizes become “normal”. I made my traditional portion of porridge (I have been on a uite long walk today) and ending up eating a little over half of it.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Yes I should probably point out that I haven’t felt massively hungry whilst on this diet and have rarely felt hungry. Once you’re eating the meal it definitely feels enough. It’s just when I’m serving up I’m often think – well that’s not going to be enough. And I’m always wrong.

I was so apprehensive before starting this diet and actually it’s been much, much easier than I expected!

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    Starting weight 17st 8lb – goal to be ‘normal’ weight by end June and in size 14 jeans.
    Day 5 – going well. Have been like sausagemeat squeezed into a sausage skin inside my zip-up coat, but today I noticed the zip went up easier and it wasn’t quite so tight.
    First week weigh-in Tuesday evening at WeightWatchers.
    Blood test results early this week.
    Buddied up with Susie3 and Heath.
    Nancy x

• posted by Shanshu
    on

I’ve felt very tired today and it has been a struggle to not just go to back to bed to be honest. However, I managed my step target (eventually – very cold now) and managed to plan next week’s meals. Am keeping things very simple with several repeats throughout the week but otherwise there will be too much wastage.

Absolutely zonked now so already in bed and only staying awake so I can do my post meal bloods.

Today’s summary:
    Calories: 742
    Carbs: 30g
    Water: 2.75L
    Steps: 13,222

Will be checking my measurements and weight tomorrow morning.

• posted by Michele62
    on

It’s Monday morning here and I have done my weigh in after my first week. Am very happy to say I have lost weight, am not too hungry and am feeling excited about how the BSD is going. It’s so great to feel in control of my weight and my food intake after all this time.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi Shanshu
    So excited for you, weighing and measuring this morning. You must have done well judging by the amazing amount of steps you manage to fit in each day.
    Looking forward to reading your results.
    Nancy x

• posted by Gillykins
    on

Hi everyone.

Measuring day today. All is going down with the exception of my bust which has increased!!?

I had a loss of 1.kgs. This is to be expected as I ‘cheated’ yesterday enjoying a lovely Sunday Roast lunch.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hi Gillykins – 1kg is good by anyone’s standards and I’m immensely jealous of your Sunday Roast!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hello everyone!

It was also my measuring day today. However, a different housemate did it and I’m not convinced that measurements were done in the same place as others. For example, I’m a little skeptical that I have lost 6cm on my bust and 11.5cm on the measurement around the bottom of my boobs! However, I do believe there is a general downward trend in my measurements just perhaps not as drastic as suggested.

My weight on the other hand is a shock. I’ve been weighing daily and today was the first morning in which there was no loss at all (not even an ounce) but I knew that the speed of the loss couldn’t sustain.

However, since Monday, I have lost 4.6kg or 10.1lbs (which is a -4.1% shift in my body weight). As I started to lower my cab intake the week before, I actually lost about 4lbs the week before we started which means my total weight loss in 2 weeks in a stone (or 6.35kg)! That means I have lost 10% of the amount I wanted to lose (which was just over 100lbs). Certainly never achieved that rate with any other diet and I have felt relatively ok on it. It’s not been easy but it hasn’t been really hard this past week. I actually think this week will be harder (and with less reward) but we’ll see.

Now for the really important thing – it has having really good effects on my blood sugar. I’ve been struggling to understand my readings which I was only doing in the morning after fasting (which were coming back really high – 9.1!!) but that may have been the dawn phenomenon so I am now trying to test first thing, immediately before and 2 hours after meals and last thing at night. I don’t always get all the readings but I think it is more reliable for me to get the general trend.

My average on Saturday was 6.6, yesterday it was 6.5 and today we are on 6.1 (although with only 2 readings) but I *think* this means that it is working.

PS: I am not on metformin or any other meds.

P.P.S. One of my housemate’s parents has come over for a lunchtime visit – they always bring amazing food with them for M&S – gorgeous bread and lots of other stuff I can’t go near so I’m hiding in the study so I can’t be tempted. I’ll go down and make my courgette and feta salad later.

P.P.P.S. I’ve always been a sucker for sugar free or zero Red Bull. Opened one just now because I was tired and needed a pick-me-up and it’s sooooooo sweet, it’s disgusting!

Please log in or register to post a reply.