Starting 22nd May, anyone like to join me for the 8 week journey?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Another 2lbs off and 3 more weeks to go!! Said no to home made cakes and scones yesterday and had strawberries and cream and a glass of prosecco instead x
    Good luck everyone with your weigh ins this week.

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Well done for staying strong AngieTW!
    I weigh in on Thursdays because I always go a bit overboard on the weekend and it gives me time to get rid of the extra fluff! My work pants are almost getting to the point of being too big, which is great. Still can’t wear those jeans I want to fit into, I can do them up but there’s mountains of muffin top going on!!

Good luck all this week!

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Nilesedge

My jeans have a saggy bum and yet still have a bit of the muffin happening too. I live in a rural area and to fit in nicely all I would need to do is tuck my shirt into my saggy bottomed muffin topped jeans thus revealing all my splendours as I sashay down the supermarket aisle. Tempting, but I need a familiar audience or perhaps one of my friends will dare me to do it. I would only do the outer aisles mind you – where the food is good.

Wish you all the best in fitting into those jeans. I have a pair I try on now and again, the zip still makes a v shape. Live in hope!

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Hi Nilesedge and bigeater I am positive you will be able to fit into those jeans VERY soon. Yesterday I was able to get into a pair of black linen trousers which have been hanging in my wadrobe for years

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Angie TW,

Thanks for the encouragement. I tried on those jeans again…..getting closer. I am swanning around in a pair of black linen trousers too – in fact – I’ve had to take them in. Gone from not wearing them for years to finding them too large!

Feels great to fit into some old favourites doesn’t it?

I thought I would have nothing to wear in the coming spring due to weight loss but my recent plateau means that I will still have plenty to wear. Good and bad. I find elastic waists and some stretch fabrics a godsend regarding fitting a reducing size. I don’t want to spend heaps on a wardrobe that may be worn for a couple of months at best.

Anyway, I am off to eat some almonds.

All the best

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Haha Bigeater, maybe I need to come to your area and we can swan around in our saggy bum/muffin top jeans together, we’d be the envy of everyone!!

Not a great day for my eating today, I was so tired when I got home from work, which is often a binge trigger for me and all the sugar I ate on the weekend has my cravings going as well, so I ate a bunch of crap I didn’t need to. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

I just bought the recipe book today too, I was going to borrow it from the library but it’s been on loan constantly since it came out, must be good!!

I hope everyone else had a good day.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Nilesedge,

Today I whipped around town in some distressed looking tights, dress, boots. I almost stopped traffic. One woman had to pause midsentence to appraise my outfit. Many many eyeboggling stares later, a man twenty years my junior asked me if I was single. So far fetched the notion, I thought I misheard. Best I could come up with was ……pardon?

Hey, it would be normal attire for Melbourne. I am starting to enjoy the notion of startling the populace.

You are welcome any time.

Sorry your day was a bit of a write off. To be honest, mine was no better – too much vino. But like my brother said – you have to live a little!

Back on the bandwagon tomorrow. Let’s see what it brings.

Best, bigeater

• posted by elly johnston
    on

1st one off! I celebrated with a small bun
    Onwards and upwards. Booked for Canada in Aug and want to lose another half at least so no more buns!

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Oh Bigeater, sounds like your outfit was quite fetching if younger men are asking your out! Well done!

Elly, well done! How exciting 🙂 Yes, maybe find a low carb bun replacement!

• posted by RobOnAMission
    on

Well Nilesedge and Bigeater, I can give you a run for your money… It was rather warm here on Monday so when I got home from work I put my shorts on to trim the hedge at the front of my house. Unfortunately, it seems that my shorts and belt no longer fit so as I reached for the higher branches the shorts tumbled down around my ankles…. Unlike Bigeater’s outfit experience, nobody asked me out – they just crossed the street in disgust! Lol! I have learned my lesson and ordered some smaller sized shorts and a new belt online!

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Hi Robonamission I haven’t stopped laughing yet!!!

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Robonamission

hahahahahaha

Actually I have also had the falling down pants experience, though I only shared my legs with friends, unlike you – scaring passersby.

hahahahaha

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Robonamission, haha that’s absolutely hilarious!!! Although, a good problem to have, even if the neighbours now cross the street instead of walking in front of your place 🙂

• posted by fba12
    on

Hi this is my first time posting on here. Only recently joined the forum. Like you I have started the 8 week BSD. Have been on it for 4weeks. Good weight loss the first week but very little since. Blood sugar has been excellent and my nurse advised me to try stopping the Dapagliflozin. I stopped taking it Monday – first two days I had superb readings but since then they are higher than they should be! Feeling hungry a lot and getting a bit disheartened. Any advice would be much appreciated. You all seem to be doing so well.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Hi fba welcome to the group. Firstly I would recommend buying the recipe book as that really helps and also read the diet book from cover to covet. You have to be dedicated ss its only for 8 weeks. Dont have any bread, pasts, cakes or sugar not even at weekends.
    Experiment with food and add pulses or beans which give you protein and are also filling. I was at a friends house and they invited me to stay for a takeaway. They were having Chinese and we all looked through the menu and were unsure on which to choose for me as I wanted low carbs and sugar amd no MSG as I am allergic to it. Do you know what we did in the end? We went to Sainsburys and I ended up doing a fab salad for them with smoked salmon and prawns and finished off with strawberr6and full fat Greek yoghourt. Really filling and healthy.
    Look at eating fish and chicken.
    Good luck, keep on posting and exercising.

• posted by fba12
    on

Hi Angie TW many thanks for your reply. I read the book before starting and have used some of the recipes which are very tasty. I had been low carbing for a year and lost 2 stone. My weight plateaued so I decided to try the BSD. I am a bit apprehensive about using pulses and beans incase they make my sugars high? I am fasting between about 6pm until around mid day and just having 2 meals. I exercise regularly too but have been doing that for years anyway and it has never helped with weight loss. I think I may need to go back on the medication if I can’t get the sugars down again. Are most of you diabetic too? Has anyone subscribed to the online diet on here? Thanks again for your support.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Hi fba12 no I’m not diabetic I just wanted a diet that works for me as I needed to lose 1.5 stones. Have you tried weight lifting at the gym?

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Hey Fba12, that’s no good that your sugars have been too high. What have you been eating? Maybe there’s something that’s causing that which you haven’t thought of, lots of dairy or fruit or high carb veggies like corn or beans?
    Hopefully they’ll come back down so you can stay off the medication

• posted by fba12
    on

Thanks for your reply. Sugars seem to be improving last couple of days so whether it just takes time for the body to adjust to no medication? I am hungry most of the time which happened when I first started low carbs a year ago. To be expected on 800 calories I suppose but when the weight isn’t coming off it is a bit demotivating. Yesterday I had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for brunch and a large salad with tuna and few olives for dinner. Hungry all evening! Few walnuts to try and stave off the hunger pains. Sugars were ok. Can you give me an idea of your typical diet for a day? Thanks.

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Fba12 – That’s great your sugars are improving, as you said, might have just been an adjustment period going off the medication.

Hah, I’m certainly not the model of a perfect diet on this eating plan 🙂 I go over the calorie limit most days because I go to the gym and burn about 400cals, so I tend to eat about 1300 cals a day, which works out at around 900cal if you account for the exercise. I’m sure lots of people don’t do that, but it’s still working so seems to be ok for me.

I eat eggs, lettuce and tomatoes for breakfast most days (eggs cooked in a tsp of butter), salad with all sorts of veggies, chicken and some olive oil for lunch and then some kind of meat and veggies for dinner, often a stir fry or something like that. I eat nuts or greek yogurt if I need a snack before the gym.

• posted by fba12
    on

Many thanks for this. Your diet sounds similar to mine and I exercise daily – swim,gym, walking or Pilates. I don’t include any extra calories for exercise at the moment. I will stick with it at least until the 8 weeks is up and hopefully the weight will start to move again soon. At least reading the forum you realise the weight doesn’t drop off as quickly as the book states. Thanks again.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

My diet and exercise regime sounds very similar. I think sometimes its best to re-look at what we are eating and also use My fitness pal. If I don’t write it down then that’s when the calories increase. I try not to eat additional calories if I have exercised.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi fba12

Firstly I would say that none of us on here are medical experts and the most important thing is to continue to ensure that your nurse is happy with what you are doing. Our bodies are all different and it’s really important to adapt this way of eating to what works for you and is compatible with your specific medical needs.

I’ve been doing the BSD in phases since January and have lost almost 2 stone with another 10 pounds or so to go to target weight. the initial weight loss is indeed dramatic (though many say it’s largely water) but do stick with it and you will lose more. But two really important things to bear in mind. Firstly we’re all different and secondly it’s not linear. My weight loss has been a case of one or two pounds off here and there then a plateau for a while, then more comes off. This is “normal” (hate that word!) for this diet – have a read of The Whoosh Effect http://100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/ to get a handle on how our bodies burn fat and it seems like nothing is happening for a while then more comes off.

I’ve found personally that you just need to keep going and not worry about numbers, but the weight WILL come off in whatever haphazard fashion it chooses!

Just one other thing that strikes me from your post is that you are fasting and I wonder if that is the right thing for you? I’m not diabetic: like many others just following this WOE for weight loss and general health improvement. But I’ve noticed that if I fast too stringently I don’t lose weight, in fact my body seems to retain it. Perhaps your body needs a “little and often” eating program so that your blood sugars are more stable? Just one thing to consider perhaps.

But above all take heart and keep at it! If you are keeping your calories and carbs low then the weight will definitely come off and if you’re not seeing that externall now then do not doubt that it will all be happening inside xx

• posted by fba12
    on

Many thanks for the support it’s very much appreciated. The whoosh effect certainly makes sense so I am sticking with it. Have spoken to the nurse today and she is happy with what’s happening especially as sugar levels seem to be improving the last couple of days.
    You have done well with your weight loss too and your right it doesn’t help to just focus on the weight loss.
    Thanks again.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Stayed the same this week so have decided to really focus on the next 2 weeks by sitting down on Sunday and planning my menus for next week and stepping up the exercise as I dont do as much when its hot

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Late to the party as ever!

I have two stone to lose before my birthday in September. Otherwise we won’t qualify for ivf- my partner doesn’t produce sperm but I am now the problem as a fattie off the NHS charts. I have been exercising like crazy and doing 1500 calls with no joy at all for months. I read bsd ages ago but didn’t think I could do it. Started four days ago and down two kilos! Astonished! Maybe this is a whoosh delay thing! Anyway I am 80kg and in need to be 68kg to qualify so please please can I Join and have your encouragement ?

Things that work for me.

1. I love to cook – recommend scrambled egg stuffed with veggies – I put in peas spinach mushroom onion spring onion and tomato and thenhave a side of grated carrot or sauerkraut. Yum.

2. Eat with eyes – so massive salad bowls with eight or nine veggies in- red cabbage etc then chickpeas tuna and preserved lemons and caper- yum

3. The book never binge again had really helped me to cope with my internal saboteur – recommend it if you are an emotional eater like me ( up and down for thirty years) sigh.

4. Am finding the 16:8 really helpful as hard lines As in I just never eat before 10 or after 6. Much easier to have an absolute rule than a bendy one.

5. My saviour. The potato. I count in one boiled potato at 100g 70cals and I add it into my meals over the day. Potato gets bad rap- very satiating and helps me cope with my weakness which is white rice and bread cravings and crisps.

Hello!!! X

Love to make up recipes so if you tell me what’s in your fridge I will give you a recipe for something tasty and compliant with bsd.

• posted by bigeater
    on

I think you will start POTATOGATE

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Preserved lemons my current addiction with chicken kebab…..

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

AngieTW, good idea meal planning, it’s amazing how many calories can creep in if you don’t in my experience.

We’re off to the USA in 3weeks, so I’m going to try and lose as much as possible before we go as a buffer, I always put on a ton of weight on holiday, but hopefully I can make better choices this time. Our last USA trip was the tipping point for me going off the rails diet-wise and regaining 10+ kg, so I’m really going to have to watch it.

Haha bigeater, potatogate!

Onetowatch – Welcome! You’ll get there in no time I’m sure, but the more you reduce carbs the quicker it will be and the less cravings for carbs you’ll have as well 🙂

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Nilesedge,

Can’t own it I am afraid. We have already had bananagate on here.

How’s the BSD going? Are you sticking to 800 or on another plan?

Scrape off all those dressings and sauces in the US!

I am going OK but have had lashings of strawberry and cream of late. Could be worse.

Have fun
    Bigeater

• posted by Frazzledmum
    on

In America the sauces etc may well have a lot of sugar added but if you ask for them “on the side” then you can control how much you have.

Perhaps not the best place for intimate details but my nephew was conceived by sperm donor (via NHS) NOT using IVF – this was cheaper then IVF, if you want to we could get in touch off group and I could give you al the details….. Personally I have always conceived more quickly with a lower BMI.

I have been off the wagon really badly the last couple of weeks – drank nearly a whole bottle of wine yesterday. It is the emotional/stress things that derail me. Will try to carve out some calm space in the next couple of weeks….

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Hey everyone, down another .5kg so that is 2.4 kg in 5 days!
    Had a lovely venison steak today – only 100 cals!
    Frazzled – yes, we are currently trying IUI ( sperm donor) -we got pregnant first time but miscarried. Hope the lower BMI does the trick.

Re: going off the rails, check out Neverbingeagain.com really helpful. Also consider how else you coudl relax – maybe a lovely bath or a walk?

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Nilesedge – just discovering carb info – how do i find and track them without endless google searches?

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Bigeater – I don’t stick to 800cal because I take off my exercise calories, so I eat about 1200-1400 calories and try to burn off 400 calories at the gym. It’s working, so I’m not too fussed, although I really don’t stick to any part of the diet on the weekend which means I spend the first two days of the week getting back down to the weight I was before the weekend. I really need to stop that cycle because I’m almost down to one of my first goal weights! Strawberries and cream sound delicious, it’s winter here so no strawberries 🙁

Frazzledmum- thanks for the tip about the sauces and dressings, I’ll do that. Sorry to hear you’ve been stressed, see if you can get some time for yourself to do things you find relaxing.

Onetowatch – well done on your weight loss!

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Hi all. Lost another poind this morning so have 6 pounds to lose to reach my goal and will stick to this diet until I’m there. Going to Stamford in Lincolnshire on Friday evening and taking a picnic to watch A Midsummers night dream so going to Marks and Spencer to get the food as I will be able to work out the calories etc.
    However I will definitely have a glass of rose’ wine!

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

Angie that is very cool!! Well
    Done you🎊I had t realised how many carbs were in carrots beetroot and spuds! And chickpeas –
    How does mum have so many chickpeas in things- and fruit I was def eating too much fruit so now I know! Fingers crossed for a good weigh in tomorrow on week 2 day 1

• posted by Onetowatch
    on

News! Down 2.7kg by day nine! Hurray!

• posted by Angie TW
    on

I’ve been naughty!! For the first time in 8 weeks I had a home made sultana scone with raspberry jam and cream and 2 lavender shortbread. All made by me this morning for friends who were coming round for coffee. Sat out in the garden and really enjoyed it. I will now get back on track and pull my socks up for the next 2 weeks (but will have a gin and slimline tonic) this evening as stressing about an interview and assessment centre I have to do on Tuesday.
    Well done Onetowatch for losing

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Well done Onetowatch!! Are you finding it easy?

AngieTW, at least they were home made so you know what was in them, the lavender shortbread sounds amazing by the way! Good luck with your interview 🙂

I’ve been losing and regaining the same 1kg for 2 weeks, all my own fault, too much prosecco etc on the weekends.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Hi Nilesedge thank you for your comments. Ditch the prosecco, which sometimes gives me headaches due to the sulphites although champagne is ok as sulphites are taken out and go for gin and diet tonic instead.
    I challenge you to do it and lose that stubborn 1kg. Don’t forget that wine has a lot of calories in it.

• posted by Pukkapies5
    on

Hi all,
    Started on 22 May and very little weight loss for 3 weeks. Then the whoosh and today am chuffed to say 1st 2lb off. Anyone demoralised at the start please stick with it as it will work.
    I’m on 2 meals a day, cucumber sticks and homemade hummus for lunch, huge green salad/stir fry and quorn for dinner. 85% chocolate as a treat. I use my fitness pal daily or I’ll cheat. Best invention of mine so far is cottage cheese and a tsp of marmite. Put it on lettuce, quorn, anything really.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Well done Pukkapies5 keep at it as it DOES work. I have made a note to buy some cottage cheese.
    I use Myfitness pal as well as it certainly helps to stay on track of the calories

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Everything has gone quiet! Who is still with me? I have now lost 1stone 7lbs which I am delighted with.
    I will certainly keep on eating this way as still would like to lose another 3lbs.
    How is everyone else doing?

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Just another quick post. I am finding I am not eating enough protein in my meals. Does anyone have any recommendations please?

• posted by Pukkapies5
    on

Hi Angie TW I’m still here and stuck on 1st 2lb but pleased with the last 8 weeks so I’m carrying on with it. I aim to lose another 2 stone and this diet is great. I’m vegetarian so my protein is cheese, cottage cheese, hummus and a lot of quorn in its varying forms. Quorn strips are great in stir fries, I use sliced beef quorn in salads for work. Their peppered steaks are great with salads too.

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Still here! Well done Angie, that’s awesome. I eat eggs for breakfast every day and always have 100g of cooked meat (usually chicken) for lunch and fish or chicken or steak for dinner. If you’re veggo though, obviously that won’t work for you!

I’ve just hit my first goal weight (getting under 80kg/176lbs), which I haven’t been since 2013! I can also fit into a whole lot of clothes I haven’t been able to fit into for ages.

So I’ve lost 5.2kg (11lb) since the start of May. I could have lost lots more if I didn’t drink alcohol and eat chocolate and pizza on the weekends, but it goes to show it does still work even if you’re not super strict 🙂 About to go on 4.5weeks holiday to America this weekend though, so I’m hoping to stick to the principles as much as possible and not put on too much (unlike usual!)

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Thanks Nilesedge I will follow your advice. Enjoy America and get in touch when you return. I am off to Norfolk this weekend and hoping to surprise my friend who hasn’t seen me sonce May

Please log in or register to post a reply.