Starting 22nd May, anyone like to join me for the 8 week journey?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ginko
    on

Feeling happy, end of week 1 – I’ve lost 10lbs! Averaged about 700 cals a day this week. Hope I can keep to the plan and have another good week.

I’m finding I am quite happy with 2 meals a day. Either breakfast & dinner, or brunch & dinner.

I would be really pleased if I could achieve a 15% loss at end of 8 weeks.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

I never knew that there are 150g carbohydrates in 1 measure of gin – is thst correct?

• posted by Bissell
    on

Angie TW. Gin doesn’t have any carbohydrates, I don’t think.

Hooray

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Great thank you. I am using myfitness pal today for the first time and I don’t seem to understand it terribly well (or maybe I’m thick?)
    Anyway I enjoyed my G&T which brought me up to 900 calories today but have done exercise to counteract it.
    I had a tiny tin of Fevertree full fat tonic and it was sooo sweet – yuck!
    I’ll go for diet next time!
    Going to bed early as my feet are killing me. Looking forward to reading more posts tomorrow. Sleep well everyone πŸ™‚

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Unfortunately diet tastes just as sweet, and I have had to move to gin and soda, usually with a slice of lemon or lime. Still, I like the taste of gin so that’s not such a hardship 😁

• posted by Theodora
    on

25ml of Gordons gin has 52 calories and no carbs. If you team it with a no sugar tonic like Waitrose’s Essentials which has no calories and no carbs, a gin and tonic is only 52 cals in total and no carbs. Not that I am an expert on alcohol or anything 😜😝😜

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Well done Ginko for losing 10lbs in your first week! The diet really works.

• posted by RobOnAMission
    on

Feeling a bit bad this evening as I tumbled from the waggon a couple of times this week, which is odd given the weeks I’ve done already! However, reading other posts helped me resolve not to just ‘write off’ my weekend, so thank you all – so helpful to know that others are going through the same stuff. And lovely to have the humorous posts too!

Today I took Dr M’s ‘alternative ploughmans’ and a litre of fizzy water on a nice walk by the canal to clear my head after all the awful news from London, coming so soon after Manchester. Tonight I am settling in to a variation of his korma but with cod instead of chicken. Will see me come in at just under 800 for the day (like L Odor I tend to skip breakfast as I’ve found that I don’t miss it and it works for me this way, having a little more at my hungry time in the evening).

My 8 week weigh in tomorrow and I have my fingers crossed to hit 3st overall; but I’m in it for a further 4 weeks yet. Keep going everyone!

on

Angie TW – I thought it was just me who struggled with myfitnesspal! Took me what felt like ages to get to grips with it but now I find it an essential part of the tool kit for this diet.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Hi Rob still struggling especially as I was adding two peaches this morning and it said something like 98 carbs!!!
    Good luck with the weigh in tomorrow lets hope you have lost 3 stone which will be an amazing achievement.
    My second week weigh in tomorrow and I am getting really excited.
    Had roasted fruit for brunch this morning out of the recipe book with 1 peach and 1 apricot.
    Tonight I had chorizo and scallops with ginger and chives with a mixed salad and added some dried organic apricots for sweetness.
    Even had enough calories left for a small glass of dry sherry!
    Even hubbie says he is enjoying the food.

• posted by Jackieppp
    on

That’s an amazing loss ginko. Well done. Today I’ve had a frozen fruit smoothie for brekkie/lunch and this evening I’m having a chicken casserole. Not sure how many calories but I’ve not put potatoes in it and have used red kidney beans,not checked calories yet but I know it’s a lot less than what I would normally eat. ROAM – as long as you keep posting and knowing where you’re going wrong as you might say, I think you will come good on the scales cos it shows that you’re thinking about eating and not just eating mindlessly.
    My weigh day tomorrow as well so hoping for a good one.
    Have a good evening everyone.

• posted by SoulfulSunflower
    on

Hi there, can I join you guys??

I just started on Thursday and as of this morning had lost 4lb πŸ™‚ – such an encouragement as I would love to get a decent chunk off in the 8 weeks as I need to lose half my body weight to get to my healthy weight/BMI…

Having had comfort eating issues since childhood linked to trauma, I’m feeling surprisingly strong and ok about this. I think it’s the prospect of really seeing the weight come off and getting myself away from the danger zone of diabetes.

You are all inspiring me loads!

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Hi SoulfulSunflower welcome to the gang. So pleased to have you on board for our wonderful journey together.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

2.5 lbs off this morning which now makes my total loss in 2 weeks total 9.5 lbs FAB.
    Love this way of eating and I may even be in the next stone down next Monday.
    Good luck to everyone who is also weighing in today.

• posted by elly johnston
    on

In 2 weeks despite a couple of wobbles I’ve lost 10lbs! Whoop! Jeans fit a bit better and I’ve lost most of what I always called my baby weight (baby is 21 lol) Feeling good and have never once felt hungry or craved sugar. I’m surprised at my willpower but with this cardiac issue hanging over me I guess I have to keep at it
    I’m still eating almost no carbs. No bread, no rice no spuds and just a tiny bit of pasta with a bolognese sauce and the occasional glass of red wine which tbh I could take or leave
    Thing is I’m off for a few days holiday with my husband a prodigious eater who is thin as a rake and we’re staying in a hotel so I’m gonna be faced with all sorts of dilemmas. We’re driving 400 miles so there’ll be sweets in the car and coffee stops. Help!

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Well done Elly I’m nearly catching you up.
    Good luck for your holiday and just keep posting if you need our help.
    Drop into M&S and buy one of their pre-prepared salads to eat in the car – just look at the carbs, calories and sugar.
    Also take sugar free gum and a diet coke plus loads of water (I like fizzy) and good luck xx

on

Thanks Angie! Hadn’t thought about a take out salad and I love salad plus sugar free gum will get me round hubs winegum cravings

• posted by Jackieppp
    on

Hi everyone
    2lb weight loss this morning so 5lb total for the 2 weeks. I wouldn’t have lost that if I hadn’t started this plan. Mind you, saying that, I could plan a bit better but still happy.
    Well done also to Angie and Elly, and everyone else who’s losing.
    Elly, are sugar free sweets any good?. I’ve had some but not actually checked if they’re ok or not. So not good advice really, maybe someone else knows.
    Onwards and downwards all.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Snack packs of nuts and seeds are good for travelling too, and I like the occasional bag of biltong (good quality stuff with no carbs) or real pork crackling if I feel I need a protein fix. Edamame is pretty good too, either dried or just the cooked and salted type.

• posted by L Odour
    on

Well done everyone! I’m delighted to report I’ve lost 5.8 lb in my first seven days. Having a decent loss is so encouraging. I feel my belly has gotten a little smaller and my face looks a little slimmer (I thought that may be in my head, but a workmate commented on it). I’ve really enjoyed my food this week and don’t feel at all deprived, I’m giving more thought to what I eat and everything has had tons of flavour. My weekend treat was tea with 2 sugars!

on

So many brilliant results – well done all. 3.8lbs for me this week – less than I wanted and leaving me still shy of the 3st goal I wanted at this stage but feeling invigorated by all of the posts. My face is thinner today too, but sadly that’s because I failed to check my clippers properly and instead of trimming my beard this morning I shaved half of it off before I realised…

Elly – as an alternative to a take out salad, my ‘travel’ lunch is cauliflower, peas, prawns and a little fish sauce. I grate the cauliflower as if for cauli rice, microwave it for 3 mins, add the fish sauce and the peas before microwaving it for another minute. Once it cools, I add the prawns and leave it in the fridge until I’m ready to go. So easy. 145g of cauli, 50g of peas, Β½ teaspoon of fish sauce and 150g of prawns = 185 calories and 11g of carbs. The carbs are a little higher than I’d wish but it feels like a treat and I find it genuinely filling. I sometimes used smoked haddock or tuna in place of prawns but other stuff would work well too.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Well done RobOnAMission nearly 3 stone what a fantastic achievement!
    Maybe it’s time to get a new look so maybe the beard will have to go?
    I like your travel lunch idea and will certainly give it a go thank you

on

Thanks for the welcome Angie *waves*!

Today I had a bit of a shock when I made banana and egg pancakes and discovered I’d had pretty much all my day’s carbs in that one (large) banana!! (Pancakes were lovely, but woah!!) πŸ˜‰

And congrats on the weigh-in – that’s fab!

• posted by Tattiescone
    on

Hello everyone
    I was 4lbs down on Friday.
    Then I had self destruction…3 days of mindless eating due to a wedding and a Chinese and pre period binge!
    Yesterday at work I had my feeder colleague pedalling Alpen bars and prawn cocktail crisps! All my own doing.
    Anyway back on today as I was feeling brilliant and happy body=happy mood=better eating.
    Need to arm myself to avoid those situations.
    Tattiescone xx

• posted by Frazzledmum
    on

Morning Tattiescone – sympathy with the eating – I found (having had the same pre-period binge) that it did drop off again once it started, but I did also have the worst PMT in recorded history. Can you take something to work to say “no thanks I have this” ? At least you have identified the risk of the “feeder”.

I hopped off the wagon on Sunday – purposefully skipping breakfast and most of lunch- to have roast beef , red wine but in a change for me found the tiny bite of roast potato really sweet and had one Yorkshire (as opposed to 3). Chicken and fish just don’t have that umami/savoury punch. Maybe I should eat marmite off a spoon (as toast is obviously out).

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Hi everyone,

Wow Elly and Ginko, 10lbs, that’s fabulous, well done! Also well done to everyone else, you’re all doing so well there’s too many to list!

Tattiescone – Have you tried marmite on a piece of cheese?

I was pretty happy this morning, I’m down a total of 3.4kg (7.4lbs) since I started and can fit into some clothes I haven’t been able to get on for ages, but then when I got home tonight I just wanted to eat everything in the house and pretty much did! Nothing too bad thankfully, just way too much of everything. I think I’m up to about 1800 calories and I’m feeling very full and annoyed at myself now. Does anyone have any tips for getting through times when you just want to eat everything? At work I try and just drink tea, but there’s only so much tea you can drink in a day!

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

I’m also having a tricky couple of days, have managed to stick to the plan still but have been feeling that ‘grumpy, think I am missing out on something good’ feeling that I’ve experienced on diets in the past.
    I think it’s coincided with a) a shocking downturn in the weather (UK) b) meeting my Mum yesterday who I haven’t seen for yonks and I thought she might notice I’d lost weight – she didn’t c) buying my son a huge chocolate brownie from a favourite cafe who make the nicest chocolate brownies in the world and d) a lot on my plate work-wise.

The latest terror attack in London plays on my mind too, my hubby walked across London Bridge earlier that evening and is working in central London today.

I think my water drinking has slipped because of the yucky weather so that may have affected me too. So I should positively focus on that today, try to get enough fluids in me.

Sorry for offloading! In other good news I had to send a size 12 top back last week and reorder in a 10 πŸ˜‰

Starting my week 4 today, am going to stick it out!

• posted by Angie TW
    on

There are 2 best things I have done this year is get a Garmin HR and stepped up my steps, exercise including high intensity minutes and wokouts and go on this diet.
    It is now my third week and I can honestly say I have not touched any bread, potatoes, biscuits, rice etc because this is the only way I can stay focussed and not go off the tracks. Although a bread stick was beckoning to me the other evening and I resisted.
    Ok I have had the odd glass of whisky to help with my neuropathy which is not from diabetes as I am not diabetic. It is from my chemo 8 years ago.
    I do have a challenging weekend coming up the weekend after next but will try my utmost to stick to no sugar and carbs although the calories may go up a little. I have just over a stone to go. So I urge everyone to try your utmost to resist the temptations.
    We can all lose the weight together and enjoy Summer as new people who are more confident! X

• posted by Angie TW
    on

I do occasionally have 2 squares of 70% Green and Blacks dark chocolate which is 20 calories a square and diet coke maybe 3 times a week to keep the sugar craving down.
    Have now bought the Yutaka Miso soup from Tesco which I like as the Clearspring organic soup which I purchased from Waitrose was vile and I have now thrown it away.

• posted by Jackieppp
    on

Hi everyone
    Just nibbling a few walnuts as an afternoon snack. On the ball today. Usual blueberry smoothie for brekkie and later I’m having a salmon salad. Nice and easy today. Am now also drinking the water (hope you’re smiling Tattiescone!).
    Well done Nilesedge on your weight loss.
    Angie – keep on looking after yourself. Make your body a temple as they say and only put in the good stuff. You are already doing really well.
    I am also going to buy the miso soup now I know I can get it in Tesco and maybe the chocolate which would save me having the odd bread roll and butter. Can’t quite keep off it but getting there.
    Well, raining here as well so going to have to find indoor projects as too wet for gardening.
    Love reading everyone’s posts

• posted by Minnnie
    on

Hi everyone,

Everyone is doing brilliantly!
    I’m with you MaisieMouse and Tattiescone.
    It’s the weather, among other things, that is tempting me into carbo sin. Its rainy and I am definitely really hungry for bad things last night and tonight, so I am filling up on cups of peppermint tea. It doesn’t help that I bought my boys cream cakes at the week end, but I am being very good. If I get desperate I will go for a small gin, thank you Theodora!
    It’s going to be a good summer once I can get into all my clothes again.

Keep strong everyone!

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Well done for resisting Minnnie, glad it’s not just me feeling this way at the mo! Hope the euphoria I felt in the first two weeks comes back soon!
    Thanks for the supportive words Angie! πŸ™‚

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

This diet is amazing, despite going 1000 calories over last night, I’m down another 400g (almost a pound) this morning and only 2kg away from my first mini goal!! Some kind of black magic!

I’m also going to buy some miso soup today and have that at work in the afternoon when I start wanting to raid the chocolate tin.

Keep pushing through everyone, it really does work πŸ™‚

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Nilesedge get some 70% dark chocolate 2 squares is 40 cals and it is filling. Aldi’s chocolate is great and maybe have a can of zero diet coke as they should both help your sugar cravings with very few calories. Good luck with your first mini goal as I am only 1.45 lbs off mine

• posted by Pukkapies5
    on

At last after 2 weeks I’ve lost 4lb. Your comments have helped me greatly, also the thread on why some of us don’t lose weight immediately. Anyone else in my situation try and hang on in there and keep reading the forum for support. I’m a vegetarian eating lunch and evening meal only, nuts for snacks. Monday to Friday I’m on 800 – 850 cals, 30g carbs. Saturday I do have prosecco spritzer 40% prosecco 60% soda water. This is something I need to keep for my sanity! Good luck everyone and keep the faith.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Just wondered if those of you who started on 21/22 May are still with us and if so how are you doing?

• posted by Madmare
    on

Hi
    I had a bit of a melt down over the bank holiday weekend but gave myself a severe talking-to, put the big girl pants on (on the outside of my tights of course) and started again
    Since last Tuesday – 8 days ago I have lost 4.5 lbs so am very happy.
    I am going to do this I feel so much more committed.
    I have some small goals
    Anther 4ibs and I will weight less than I have for 7 years
    Another 4lbs and I will be at my pre 50s weight
    When I get there you will all be able to hear the cheers!
    Hope all going well else where

• posted by Tattiescone
    on

Hello everyone
    Yes I’m still here. Still reading all your posts.
    Eased myself back in yesterday and back on track today.
    Everyone here seems quite like me..good days and blip days..but we seem to be getting there. As long as we keep trying. That’s the main thing!
    It’s such an emotional thing eating. I work with older people..many of whom have been addicted to alcohol or cigs and with me I just think it’s the food that is my thing!
    Have run out of miso soup so need to get to tesco for that and will pick up some marmite for the cheese! Yum
    B..scrambled egg and mushrooms with cheese
    S. Options in hot water (chocolate orange)
    L. Miso soup
    T. Salad with tuna or chicken I hope! And a stuffed peppadew pepper or 3!
    Need to drink more today. (Water..not whisky)
    Tattiescone. Xx

• posted by Nosugarbaby
    on

Hi all still here great to see everyone doing so well. Have started to struggle a bit no movement on the scales despite calorie count for past four days being 950 or lower! And can’t even blame PMS. Only thing I can think of is have been eating a few cherries and raspberries and a swig of other halfs beer last night couldn’t resist!! Looks like I have to be completely carb free to have any weight loss, and there is a lot of that to loose 5 ft 6 and 16 stone 7. The morning weigh in has been a great motivator for me but each day no movement makes it harder . Have lost 10 pounds so far so not all bad! Has this happened to anyone else? Here’s to another good day all x

on

Well I’m on hols and I thought it would be really difficult but I’m doing ok I think! I don’t weigh myself every day that’s soul destroying but I can tell from how I feel and how my clothes fit that I’m going in the right direction. I was on a brewery tour last night sampling the local brew but hey I’m on hols! It’s great to heat how everyone is doing. If you’re feeling low do some thing nice for yourself. I bought a foot mask of all things. Simple pleasures xx

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Angie TW, the 70% chocolate is a good idea, I sometimes buy the 85% dark choc from Aldi, it’s so bitter that there’s no way I’m going to overeat it!!! 70% is much nicer. Ooh only 1.45lb away, you’ll be rid of that in no time!

Haha Madmare, is there any other way to wear your big girl pants?! πŸ™‚ You’ll smash those 4lbs!

Tattiescone, food is my thing too, I’m very much an emotional eater.

Nosugarbaby – from reading some of the other threads it does seem like lots of people have plateaus and then a “whoosh” where they lose a bunch of weight in one go. You’ll have your woosh soon I’m sure, given how well you’ve been sticking to the calories! 10lbs is amazing, imagine how long that would have taken with another diet.

I’m doing well today, have stuck to calories and went to the gym. My boyfriend just messaged me that he’s down at the pub and I should come down.. sooooo tempted! But I am sitting on the couch wearing comfy clothes and I have wet hair, so it’s going to be a significant effort to get there which is a good thing as I’m less likely to go. We shall see though..

on

Is anyone tracking their food on Myfitness Pal who would like to link up and encourage each other? It’s so good for tracking calories and carbs/protein/fat etc! Trying to get my family on it too – lol! I’ve done my first 6 days and have lost 5.2lb doing 800 kcal and 20% carbs (37g apparently!).

I’m such a comfort eater and have just spent a year under the Specialist Weight Management Team at the local hospital, I gave up as they it was just too traumatic revisiting the roots of my eating issues. And then suddenly I decided to investigate the BSD as a friend had mentioned it, and I’m feeling so free and in control. It’s the first time in 12 years I’ve felt like this – at that time I lost 4.5 stone over 2 years with WW, and then I couldn’t cope with reintroducing foods in maintenance and so here I am now with about 8 stone to lose :-/ – so NoSugarBaby I feel your pain! Keep with it though (((()))).

I am BeautifulSunflower on there MFP anyway – let me know if you want to link up. πŸ™‚ x

• posted by Nilesedge
    on

Another thing to consider if the scale isn’t budging is whether your clothes are fitting better, whether you feel better and whether your blood sugar readings are better (if you measure that). We get hung up on the scale when there are probably many other great changes happening from the diet.

I have a pair of jeans that don’t fit that I’ve been trying on every now and then to see if there’s any change. They still don’t fit to the point where I can do them up, but they’re fitting slightly better each time πŸ™‚

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Hi I am managing to fit into some trousers which have been too tight to wear.
    Someone else at work commented on my weight loss! Love this diet. Happy weekend everyone

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Yay Angie! Love it when that happens!

I’m seeing some friends in ten days time who I last saw just before I started the 8 week BSD, I’m already 13lbs lighter so I’m really secretly hoping they notice… after my mum didn’t! πŸ˜„

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Maiseymouse – no-one noticed that I had lost weight either. What I didn’t realise was that the clothes I had so carefully chosen to disguise the rolls of fat also disguised the weight loss so nobody noticed until I started wearing my smaller clothes.

I wore my big trousers until I lost almost 3 stone because I wanted to buy stuff in the January sales. I went from big trousers before Christmas to size 8 and 10 trousers after Christmas and that was when everyone noticed the weight loss. Several people thought I had lost all the weight over Christmas and were quite shocked.

• posted by Angie TW
    on

I am visiting friends in Norfolk at the end of July and she is always at Slimming World and has done well in the past then puts it on again and we are usually the same weight. I haven’t told her I am on this diet so thats why I want to stick to it to show her my new figure. Had friends to stay this evening and went off it slightly having a glass of wine and some double cream.
    Then went on a long walk to counteract the extra calories. Back on diet with a vengeance tomorrow and have to plan my meals for the rest of the week. Up to Scotland next weekend so again trying to be good then with the exception of a glass or two of fizz!
    Good luck everyone – we all want to reach our ultimate goal πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Wow Krysia, that’s amazing! No wonder they were impressed!

Good luck Angie! I’m sure she will be blown away!

I am really hoping that this is different than the usual diets and a way of eating for ever that is the secret to keeping the weight off. Slimming clubs make me so suspicious because if they work so well why do most people I know end up going to so many of them over the years?

Had a delish meal tonight, turkey bolognese with pancetta and parmesan and butternut squash ‘noodles’. And more cheese on the top. Hey it’s the weekend and I skipped breakfast!πŸ˜‰
    Even better the whole family wolfed it down! Surprised that I’m not missing pasta at all.

Have a great weekend x

• posted by Pukkapies5
    on

Calling any Marmite lovers.

I miss my toast so much but miss the Marmite more. Out of desperation I have found the following delicious with my salads and quorn burgers. 100g fat free cottage cheese, 25g reduced fat grated cheese, 25g reduced fat coleslaw and a heaped teaspoon of marmite. Mix well in a small bowl and pile on your plate. You can also blend the cottage cheese before you add things if you want a smoother “dressing”. Its delicious but only marmite lovers will understand.

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Hi Pukkapies,

I don’t know if I’d like marmite or not as I find the smell so off putting I’ve never tried it!
    But just curious, why do you choose fat free and low fat? I think the fat element in this diet is what keeps us satisfied and not going off the rails isn’t it? Having to not worry about the fat content of cheese and yoghurt is working for me anyway πŸ˜‰

Please log in or register to post a reply.