started today OMG!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

SO I have introduced myself in thread from here to eternity. I started today after much planning and measuring. Unfortunately my first breakfast ended up nicely BUT……I made the no carb waffles, I don’t have a waffle iron so made pancakes. I doubled the recipe cos my fella wants to loosely do the diet with me. It tasted like a dry omelette, eeeewwwwww! so I just ate the yogurt and blueberries. Only thing is I don’t know whether I have had enough calories. we shall see. Being a chef I think I can dabble a bit and see what I can make with the coconut flour, but I doubt i’ll be making them again. TIPS will be most appreciated.

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

Ok Yesterday: fbs ; 7.7
    Breakfast: Greek yogurt & Blueberries (2 bites of nasty pancakes and half a tub of 100g yogurt, so not enough food)
    Lunch: Tuna Salad
    Tea; Mexican Chicken
    snack; had to, I was ravenous and wanted to bbq the dog! hartleys sugar free jelly & a pear.

2nd day today;
    FBS; 6.6
    breakfast; 3 egg omelette with 2 rashers of smoked bacon all fat cut off.
    lunch; off the seat of my pants, was a celery & cauliflower soup.
    Tea will be; not having it until 9pm to try and help my hunger pangs (I’m a dirty stop up) Salmon & Green Beans
    Also had a snack of 6 cashew nuts.

I have to say I woke up this morning with a banging head even though I had 4 pints of water yesterday, I am also putting my hunger down to 1) not being used to so little calories. 2) my disastrous breakfast which meant I didn’t have a full meal.
    Today is a whole different story, although I am slightly hungry after having my lunch at 4pm, (it’s now 7pm) I think that my sturdy breakfast has set me up for the day, when I have my tea later, I reckon come bedtime midnight – 1am ish I will be fine. I also don’t think I will need 3 eggs for my omelette next time 2 will suffice, I was just so hungry this morning I was a bit greedy.

Hope everyone else is still doing well. tips are always welcome.

• posted by Bongo
    on

Hi

Well done and good luck. I started today and have found day one not too bad, though we had the spicy chicken and lentils for tea and it wasn’t the tastiest thing I’ve ever eaten.

• posted by peterking
    on

you are doing well , it takes a bit of patience but its very rewarding when you see the results , i was a raving 15 and within 6 months im down to 6 in morning and have gone as low as 4.2 in afternoon , stay off the carbs , try the chick peas , haricot beans , chicken breast , like i pile my plate up but with the right stuff , and if things look bad just say ” is the mountain too high for you ” , ive had to read the book 4 or 5 times just to stay on track , the nurse today even thanked me for the information about the book i gave her today and she said i had the best results that she has seen yet this year.

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

Your tasteless spicy chicken and lentils, need no be so Bongo, throw some chopped toms, garlic and tbsp. of curry paste in there, it will be amazing.
    Thank you Peter king for your encouragement an well done you, that’s fantastic. My 6.6 this morning was the lowest its been since I was diagnosed. glad your nurse is supportive, seeing mine Friday, we’ll see.

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

I had a great day today but I also messed up. I was so happy to be going out to eat, I thought yes I can have a salmon salad and a gin & slimline Tonic. fantastic. unfortunately all would have been good, If I hadn’t made 2 boiled eggs. As this took me over my calories by a lot. You live and learn. Next time I go out, don’t eat when I get back. I’m having my 2nd weigh in tomorrow so will see.

fbs: 7.1
    Breakfast: Greek Yogurt with blueberries & Flaked almonds
    Lunch: Salmon Salad and a G & T
    Tea: 2 Hard boiled eggs.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

A few more calories from boiled eggs won’t make much difference TBH
    Now if it had have been 2 slices of toast…………
    You see, you did eat a little more, but you made the right choice about what you ate ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Izzypeach, 2 boiled eggs have healthy fat and not too many calories!!! So it may have been a few more calories but the right sort of calories and certainly not as many as in 1 slice of thinly buttered toast – and no sugars or carbs ๐Ÿ™‚
    Be kind to yourself you are doing well ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

Thank you for your kind words. Yesterday I had the best food day EVER! I mean I ate food I would eat if I wasn’t on a strict diet.

Breakfast: Mixed berries, greek yogurt, flaked almonds
    Lunch: No carb Ploughmans. I bulked it out with 1 sliced tomato and a few cucumber slices, sprinkled with cress. It was absolutely divine. When I was shopping around for the chutney, the lowest in carbs and sugars was small chunk branston. and I even dipped the apple in it. It was sooooo nice. If anyone has found a chutney that is even lower. Although having a tblsp of it isn’t gonna hurt me, I would still like to know.
    Dinner: Smoked Salmon and mushroom omelette with 10 ton of veg. I adapted the muffin recipe I found on here. It was lovely.
    I hit 800 cals on the nose yesterday.

My exercise was gardening it was an all day thing. I also weighed myself and have lost 1lb. going docs today so will see what she has to say.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Izzy, two days of gardening and my back is creaking!!! Plenty of exercise though ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

You’re doing great Izzy ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

Thank you. Yes I know about the creaking Hashi, it’s horrendous! Thank you Izzy.

I had a weird one today and really paying for it, so any advice would be most appreciated.

Breakfast: Greek Yogurt, 5 strawberries
    Lunch/Dinner: 1 Heck Sausage, 1 Homemade beef burger (small), 1 Portobello garlic mushroom done on the BBQ.
    with Rocket salad, 1 tbsp. of mayo. 5 celery sticks in small tub of hummous, tbsp. salsa. My meal was delicious and huge.
    I thought as my meal was so big, I would not need dinner. SO I then logged and measured, label reading etc and my calories for the day was 615 cals. I found this out after midnight.
    A short time ago I started feeling really weird, so my other half told me to try and get some food with calories in me. SO I’ve had 2 babybel, an apple and an orange. Feel slightly better.

Lesson for day 6 is, just because I’m having a big meal doesn’t mean I’m getting enough cals, especially when dinner is el fresco. I need to be more mindful as starvation mode will not help me on my mission. 800 cals or bust. LOL!

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

I’m still here. I’m on day 13 and have seen my nurse, who is delighted that I am on this diet and was really happy to see my 5lb weight loss. (My nurse told me that in the last few months, she has been on training days concerning diabetes and the advice now given to patients, is a low carb diet. I was thrilled to hear this and she has already made my appointment for my hba1c for the week after my 8 weeks, she is backing me 100%) I did have a wobble but it was only for one meal. I had a tortilla wrap from Tesco to be be honest just for convenience. I think if i’d chosen a bread sandwich I may have, been rather bloated and unhappy but as it was, I had no ill effects.

3 places I’ve found I can eat out and have low carb options; Whetherspoons, do a salmon salad, dressing on the side. delicious. Subway do a really lovely salad, with meat or tuna with grated cheese, its delicious. & also a carvery. I had a roast dinner with no Yorkshire, stuffing or potatoes and it was delicious and I was stuffed on basically turkey and veg.

I have had a couple of alcoholic beverages, I am trying to decide which red wine I like as I havn’t really drank it in the past, so my fella and I shared a bottle of tempranillo which was lovely. I have also tried those little single glass serving bottles of a shiraz (yuk!) and a Rioja (yum!). Last night I had 1 glass of wine and it lasted me all night and I added it to my calorie count as a snack.

So as I’m struggling through, I am finding satisfying meal (the first week I was starving all the time). The most satisfying meals to date. Scrambled eggs with bacon, No carb ploughmans and curried baked beans and lentils with chicken and green beans.
    I have bought some pearl barley this week and will be making a vegetable curry, using them with beans.

sorry to waffle on peeps, but its been a few days. XX

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Izzypeach,
    great to hear you are getting support from the nurse and even better – she is being training in low carb eating!
    If you want to add to your ‘satisfying meals’ how about soups? I find these to be very filling and with a salad for lunch keep me going all afternoon. They have the advantage of being easy to make large amounts and freezing the rest for future days.
    I was driving up from Herts to Orkney the other week and very worried about how to cope with ‘meals’ on route. I took a flask of soup and that really helped, but I also the M&S Food Halls that are now at many stopping areas have a few salads that do not contain rice, potatoes etc. The one I like as it is all greens is the super green salad – edamame soybeans, apples, sugar snap peas, & coriander with a dressing of apple, soy and ginger. Calories – 87 and 5.5g carbs per 100g. Pack is 176 g. It was really tasty and took a while to eat – you can add cheese, meat or fish to it if you want to.
    Good luck with the curry – check out the recipe section for the onion bhaji’s!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi izzypeach
    Give your nurse a ((hug)) from me! Best news yet re medics. Change IS coming.
    Your weight loss is great. Try a week without alcohol & see how you go. Right now it’s empty calories you could spend better. The wine will wait ๐Ÿท Sangre de Toro, ยฃ6.50 ASDA, is a nice red wine to try later on.
    Eating out shouldn’t be a no no for any of us. The more we ask for alternatives to simple carbs, the more the message gets passed on. Ask for extra salad or veg instead of chips! Most places are happy to oblige if you say you are on this BSD to try & reverse Type 2 Diabetes or to stop it happening to you. We ALL should SHOUT this from thr tree tops.
    Make a list of foods you like & new ones you are willing to try. Check the carbs & stir fry, steam , microwave even pressure cook as well as slow cook in the oven. Read recipes & see how you can adapt them. And look at Spiralizing food, it’s fun.
    You are learning as you go & we all wobble. Keep posting keep doing!

Please log in or register to post a reply.