Spring into Summer: Week 1, May 29th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

See you all tomorrow, Tuesday, for a new start with a refreshing new title for our ‘One Week at a Time’ challenge.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 1 of 7 …… another Tuesday, another start of another week. At the moment I feel just like a duck, paddling madly just to stand still. My goal for the week is literally to just ‘stand still’. I have to be realistic while I’m away and losing weight this week is just not realistic for me. Losing anything would be a bonus! Have a good week.

• posted by Tululah
    on

Good morning all,
    Not been around this weekend as have had a very busy time but managed to catch up with most of the posts. Congratulations to the 2 first week losers – 10lbs – WOW! That must feel amazing. And well done to everyone else for sticking with it and managing your own goals.
    I thought I was having a good week but then seemed to blow it yesterday, It still amazes me that I can pt 1.5 lbs on in a day. To be fair its my TOTM today so may have something to do with it but I do seem to put weight on so easily. Was very mindful all week, even managed 2 meditation sessions which is good going for me but hosted a big old family & friends BBQ yesterday and bang there it goes. Crisps & a little booze. Steadily munching on crisps all day. Seems like that monster has not been dealt with. I never ever buy them anymore but put them in front of me and I crumble. Its always in the middle of some really busy hectic thing and I just don’t have the brain power to fight it off. I’m usually a bit stressed too and they have always been my ‘de-stresser’. Need to look at these issues a bit closer for future reference.
    Anyway on a positive and funny note I actually lost 2.5 lbs – as my scales were wrong!! 2 sisters and my husband have been saying that my scales were over for a while so we rebooted them, new batteries and re calibrated and they were right..I’m now 2.5lbs’lighter’:) 🙂 🙂 LOL. I’m not taking it as a loss though – I’m taking it that my weight was lower when I started so although mentally I feel a bit better to be 15.11 now I’m still only 13lbs down in total from when I began. This is the start of week 10 for me so I’m not doing that great on weight loss but I have managed to keep it off at least and I think my body shape has changed. Ive also seen other health benefits and do feel more in control (not putting weight on overall). Maybe I’m just a very slow burner.
    This week my goal is to log everything I’m eating as I haven’t been doing that. I have a weeks holiday to Croatia coming up on Saturday so I’m going to see some new number on my scales before I go (down the way of course!).
    Have a good day everyone and good luck with all your personal goals.
    Much love Tully xxx:)

• posted by Tululah
    on

Sorry – Good morning Verano! Thank you for starting the new thread once again. Keep paddling my friend! Tully xxxx

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Hi Verano and thanks die the new thread. Feels good to start the week with a clean slate as it were.

My goal this week is too stay on track with keeping carbs lower than 50g and trying to stay the right side of calories although this is proving more challenging to me. I’m on week 6 of the 8 week-800 have lost a significant amount of weight (still no scales) but want to stay with it until the 8 weeks are done and then head to maintenance to hopefully see BP magically return to normal range over the next few months.

I have learnt to eat well and to appreciate the less stuffoed sense of contentment after a meal than when it was ballasted with refined carbs. I have slept better and gained energy in unexpected ways- and am tremendously happy about that.

All in all I’ve surprised myself with my detemination and readiness for this WOE and look forward to continuing it and teaching the kids to eat accordingly too.

Thanks all for your inspiring thoughts and experiences. It makes a massive difference to the whole process to bounce ideas around with like-minded people.

X

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi!
    Thank you Verano for setting up a new week❤️. I have absolutely no idea how to stay on this path without you all.😍
    This week start at 86,93 kg/191,65 lb. (sorry, how to put this in stones is a mystery).
    I’m in week 4 of my second round of 8 weeks. End of januari was 102,1 kg, low energy, hard to move, pain in some places. Pretty bad mood. All of that has changed since the start of BSD 12 mars. Total loss from januari is 15.17 kg and a move from obesity to overweight.
    Goal this week is to keep up the good work, log all in MFP, wheigt in every morning, try to eat enough protein according to new info here on the forum. Carb is steady at 20 and calories 800. I have found that I could take small step away from the road and still come back on pretty easy. That makes me a bit more relaxed and easy to go to social events.
    I’ll be pleased if wheigt is down. Doesn’t really matters if it a lot or only a little this week. Just down.
    Good luck to all of us! We are doing great!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Back from a family visit and big birthday bash – when did I get a 40 year old daughter. I will weigh tomorrow morning but not guessing I have kept it down. OMG do they eat – the are getting like the Americans – they were tucking into a brunch at Coast to Coast (American) of 3 maple syrup pancakes with 2 sausage, 2 bacon, 2 eggs, black pudding and fried potatoes with a sweet potato fritter and had the cheek to throw in half a grilled tomato. Obviously I didn’t have this – just 1 sausage, 1 egg and tomato. Then we went to an Argentinian meat feast restaurant where they just keep bringing more and more meat. I stopped after one lamb cutlet, chicken breast and a trip around the salad bar. I can see why my daughter has trouble controlling her weight. Anyway, we are back now with no planned trips and no visitors until 30th July.
    I am not getting too much into other threads but will stick with this one each week as it comes. Will let you know the damage and goals tomorrow.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hello to old friends and Hi to those new since I last posted.
    I have had a bad couple of months (too much to go into), fell off the wagon and into a bar of carbs. Outcome is one stone up from last December, but now I feel ready to start again and this four week challenge has come just at the right time.
    We are off to NJ again in mid July to see our family and I would be so pleased if I could lose that extra stone – I don’t want to come back even heavier!
    (Tululah, a note of caution – we had a holiday in beautiful Croatia three weeks ago and the food is very carb loaded as most is influenced by the Italians.)
    B X

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all,
    Well done for those of you with losses, and KOKO to everyone else! Just popping in to say hi, I won’t be doing this weeks challenge as I’m 36 hours from moving 500 miles away and starting a new job. I’ve eaten high carb recently (stress plus TOTM) but I feel that having done this WOE since Feb, I know I can get back on track and quickly lose any excess weight. I’ve also bought a blood glucose monitor to try and monitor how different food effects me. I tested 2 hours after a carb-heavy, fast food lunch, and my result was 5.6, which I think is pretty good? I’m going to another test first thing tomorrow and see what my fasted result is. I’ve read it’s a good way to measure ketosis as the pee sticks stopped working for me and the blood ketones monitors are out of my budget.

Good luck everyone for this week and I’ll see you next week when I’ll be moved and back on the wagon!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Congratulations, Nicki, having a new job waiting for you! Will this be a total lifestyle change for you, moving
    500 miles away? Very best wishes with the move! A new country??

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!

Tully I read somewhere that crisps really are addictive! Apparently it’s the salty hit rather than the crunch. I must admit I’m addicted too but I try very hard not to start eating them!

Welcome back sunshine-girl and Busybee. S-g it’s amazing how much some people eat and even more amazing at how our taste buds have changed. I had a bagel a few days ago, the first for years, literally. It was a conscious decision on my part but you know I didn’t really enjoy it!

Busybee you can manage 14lbs by mid July especially if you have been eating lots of carbs. You should lose water quite quickly when you revert back to low carb.i know when I get home and get straight back to 800/30 I’ll let so my ‘holiday’ gain.

Happy move Nicola see you next week. Good to see you back again Buddhas wife and Trundlebug hope you both have a good week. As for me I’m still ‘paddling’ and standing still so all is well!

on

Hi everyone, well I am totally surprised and pleased that I have not gained a single ounce on my latest UK visit despite my daughter dragging us to the most unhealthy eateries. Just shows we can do this by making the best choices possible even if there is lots of crap available. Not quite back on track as my cupboards are empty and I didn’t have time to plan out a menu before I did my shopping but I have an idea of what we will be eating, starting with scrambled egg breakfast, Spanish soup lunch and something with mince for dinner. Going to watch the pounds melt away.

• posted by Tululah
    on

Good morning lovely people! Hope you are feeling positive and ready for the day ahead?!
    Im feeling much better tday. After I posted yesterday and instantlty felt focussed and determined. Anyway i drank lots of water, logged everything and lost 2lbs so Im on my way hopefully. My stomach hss been really bad since my crisp blow ut on Sunday (although I did eat a lot of other stuff too!) so I will try and get that into line! I think you are right Verano – the crisps are so addictive and for me they are an knee jerk emotional crutch too. I struggle with knowing whether to let my self have the odd packet then I may not binge when I see them or just keep trying to move away from them. I think I know myself that i want to move away from them so Ill KOKO!
    Busybee – lovely to meet you and have you on this little thread – I know what you mean about Croatia as this will be my 3rd time. Luckily I know some great fish places and they do a lot of meat as well….just need to stay away from the crispy bread, chips and booze! 🙂
    Nicola – good luck with the move and hear from you next week! x
    Trundlebug – Hello! Sounds like you are doing really well and have a lot of willpower not to jump on the scales. i truly wish I could do that too and it is one of my goal when I get my weight down a lot more. I’m glad you can appreciate the other great benefits this WOL can offer – I have to keep reminding myself as well because my weightloss is really slow so all the other stuff you mentioned means I can stay on track. Thank you also all for your inspiring thoughts and experiences! I don’t think I’d stil be doing any of this if it wasnt for the people on this forum either.
    Sunshine girl – your trip sounds lovely – where were you?
    Buddahswife – I’m totally with you on that curve down the way. That’s my only goal these days. That and staying the same over holidays! 🙂 BTW you divide the pounds by 14 to get the total stones and lbs (14lbs in a stone!) I think you are around 13.5 stone which means yo have lost an incredible 2.5 stones since January! Amazing!! Has it been a while since you have been that weight? I think our staring weights were around the same so I’m chasing you! Might loose a few pounds if i did actually did get off my bum – which I’m just about to do this morning!
    Thank you all again for just being. I love our little thread and breaking it into 1 week at a time just helps me so much.
    OK duckies – keep on paddling
    Tully xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 🙂

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time.” Thomas Edison

on

Tululah, forgot to say, I spent a couple of days in Croatia on our cruise and it is possible to get BSD friendly meals – my worst nightmare was Italy, now that truly is pasta or pizza and little else to choose unless you eat fish, which I dont. Dubrovnik was beautiful but expensive (food and drink) as it is where Game of Thrones was filmed and they play on that. I should imagine the rest of the country is just as beautiful, enjoy.

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi all spring summers!
    Spring in Swedish is run and it certainly feels that its moving fast in the kalender. I feel reliefed I don’t suffer of bikinistress. That was ages ago if you know what I mean😂. But yesterday I passed the beach and realized I need a new swimming suite! It’s so many nice little discovery along this journey.
    Here are some foodstuff.
    Crisps. It must have been invented by a sinister (? Google translate). Its also loaded with sugar! My nice, who is vegan, gave me this recipe a while ago. it’s a kale crisp recipe. I just love it and eat it instead of crisps. Maybe you like it too?
    Mix olivoil, salt and a spice you like in a bowl. Toss pieces of kale and mix it carefully. Spread it out in one layer on a baking tray with baking paper and let it go on low heat in the owen. I use 100 dgr C and watch it very carefully so it dont get brown (the its burnt and destroyed!). Just taste it often and take it out when its crisp. Voila! I prefer pressed garlic and chilli, but paprika or rosemary is also nice. These are the same oilmixes I always have been using for light fried almond snacks.
    Now to the courgettesoup!
    Verano I think you asked of more cold soup recipes? Had som courgettesoup left from last week in the refrigerator and it was a hot day so I just added som double cream and what a delight! This is going to bee a starter for the summers barberque. Maby I add some garlic. So there we have a starter and som kale and almondsnacks. What else do you recomend? Any nice BSD desserts?
    Have a nice day and may all our calories be delicious! 😋

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi Allie, Yes indeed, we’re off to the Scottish Highlands 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 We’ll be living in between a river and a pine forest, so lots of kayaking, cycling, mountain walking etc on the horizon, which I’m hoping will help with the weight loss and overall health!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl – doesn’t it feel good when you make good food choices when everyone else is tucking into the bad carbs.

Tully – I was a really slow loser but actually it turned out to be a positive because I had lots of time to adjust to my new WOE and lots of practice at maintenance before I actually got to maintenance.

Verano – crisps for me are really addictive. Friday night was crisp night for me – it’s too embarrassing to write down here exactly how many crisps I could get through pre-BSD.

I don’t think I signed on to this challenge – but do want to continue. Goals – 20g carbs and 18/6 intermittent fasting all this week as I am not working and don’t have to plan meals around classes. Still on the journey to improve insulin sensitivity and to drain pancreas and liver of every last gram of fat.

• posted by alliecat
    on

This is very exciting, Nicki! Your enthusiasm is palpable 🙂 I can actually smell the pine forest! Will be looking
    forward to hearing about your new lifestyle, so I hope that you’ll reconnect with us when you have the move
    behind you. It takes spirit to set off on a new adventure like yours, so hugs and congratulations 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Have been spreading the word this afternoon. Had a coffee with a friend this afternoon and met her best friend also. It turns out that the best friend was diagnosed with pre diabetes and has followed the diet guidelines she had been given religiously.

As you can guess it didn’t go well and she has now got full blown diabetes. She is working really hard to reverse it by following the new diet guidelines to the letter – which are – drum roll……….. “eat even more starchy carbs with every meal”. They are doing another HB1aC in July and She hopes that her HB1aC will be lower and is now eating two large slices of bread with every meal to raise her intake of starchy carbs.

I told her of my experience with this way of eating and how my diabetes is in remission. She said that her daughter had thought that the advice from the hospital couldn’t be right – so she is going to get her daughter to order the book from Amazon. So job done!

Husband said that if I am not careful the Diabetes Police from the hospital will be after me!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning DAY 3 of 7 and last day of May. Summer really will be with us very soon. Lovely to read all your posts this morning. Pleased to read that I’m not the only crisp addict. I think I’m best when I just don’t have any in the house. After all they are just potatoes and I pride myself on never eating potatoes ….. who am I kidding!

Really great news s-g I guess we just need to be mindful, which I haven’t been for the last few weeks.

I will definitely try the courgette soup cold Buddhas wife. The kale crisps sound lovely but I think I will call them something other than ‘crisps’!

Krysia we can only keep banging the drum although I have to admit that sometimes I just can’t be bothered. I get tired of people saying ….. but how can you live without bread or chips or whatever. Selfish maybe but I just get on with this WOE in my own sweet way!

Hope Thursday is a bright and positive day for everyone.

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

Oh my days, KrysiaD, thank the powers that be that you plopped into her day. I cannot believe the out dated advice hospitals and doctors are giving regarding diet and health. When i was told i had hi blood pressure i was horrified and so desperate for advice on what to change. One dr said ‘well you’re of a particular ethnic group and that predisposes you to high blood pressure’ and left it right there. She was from the same ethnic group, mind, so no doubt she’s just wheeling out that statement to the whole family. How fatalistic and unempowering is that?

It took me a year to find the Moseley book which just mentions BP reduction as an aside to Blood sugar changes. It was enough for me though. Since then i read Robert Lustig’ s Fat Chance, which lists the raft of metabolic disorders including BP, diabetes, heart conditions and strokes which travel together on a path loaded with sugar and carbs.

I cant believe doctors are so ignorant. I have come to believe they are unable to come up against the politically powerful sugar lobby and the carb lobby. These groups are ok with killing the general population as long as their profits stay high and the subsidies continue to roll in. And that is where i think we are. Big sugar is the 21st century big tobacco.

Anyway rant over. I ate some cheese pastries yesterday :0. My iron control which I’ve enjoyed over the past 6 weeks seems to be wavering. I really want to finish the 8 weeks as well as i can so i need to get a grip again. This weekend big party to contend with so I’m feeling a bit wobbly about that already. I guess I’ll just have to keep paddling as best i can like a good little duckie.

Have a good one all.

TB

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

And just to add (rather triumphantly) i just checked BP and the last of 3 readings was 115 / 86 – that’s the best reading I’ve had for over a year. If i needed any further encouragment to get through the next few weeks strong, i think i just got it!

Keep on keeping on, to coin a sunshine girl phrase! Fall off the pony, get back on the pony. Change happens every time we get back on the pony.

X

• posted by Verano
    on

Trundlebug I’m reading ‘The Pioppi Diet’ at the moment and although I’m only part way into the book it notes that sugar is the only substance ingested by man, other than alcohol, that has not nutritional value whatsoever. Apparently Robert Lustig calls fructose ‘alcohol of the child’. Guess that says it all!

It’s also interesting that the authors say that BMI is not a good indicator of metabolic health and we know you can be ‘thin on the outside, fat on the inside’. They argue that there is no such thing as a ‘healthy weight’ only a ‘healthy person’! Sugar certainly seems to be the ‘devil’ of the piece.

In defence of doctors, they really get taught little or no information about Diet and nutrition. This isn’t an excuse, at a time when new research is pointing towards sugar and carbs being the cause of so much illness, but maybe an explanation.

What I find really frightening now is the role that multiple medications are taking in making people, especially the elderly, ill. I am more and more convinced that if we can remove medication from our lives we will be healthier despite weight. I came to BSD when my diabetes nurse started to talk about adding another medication to control my T2 that wasn’t even out of control, with my HbA1c being around 6.4. I suppose when I think about it if doctors started cutting down on prescriptions they may eventually make themselves redundant!

• posted by Trundlebug
    on

I agree fully, Verano. Drs are not given enough nutritional training and the reliance on pharmaceuticals skews the whole approach further. A friend of a friend was diagnosed with hi bp avout the same time as me and so our mutual friend was very concerned about my refusal to take medication. I kept instinctively repeating ‘if i start meds now in my 40s where will i be on my 60s?’ . His friend went on the BP drugs and as i started this 8-week program had been diagnosed with T2. I’ve been pressing them to hand him the Moseley and Lustig books. The thing that concerns me is that without the medical community’ s input, its left up to those of us who instinctively recoil at the thought of life long meds to find our own paths or not … that feels very wrong to me.

Thanks for the tip to in The Pioppi diet Verano. I need a new book to shore me up over the weeks to come. On that note, Diana Henry’ s A Change of Appetite has proved a brilliant companion cookbook to the 8-weeks and beyond. I simply don’t eat the grains she suggests to serve stuff with (just while on the 8-week calorie restriction) while the rest of the family tucks in. Lots of exciting world flavours but simply and quickly done so useful for family or prep ahead cooking. I highly recommend it.

TB x

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Trundlebug, I do think it was lucky that I plopped into her day. It was the same for me in 2016 when a client tentatively lent me a copy of MMs book after a class and said that she thought I ought to look at it.

I had been following the NHS guidelines to the letter and my eyes and foot were only getting worse and worse and my weight was steadily increasing. I was basically in “the last chance saloon” and was in despair – eating my 50g to 70g starchy carbs with every meal and injecting fast acting insulin at every meal and snack plus slow acting insulin at night. If my client had not plucked up courage to approach me I would never have stumbled upon The Blood Sugar Diet.

on

Hi everyone, feeling good about the diet and got my BG right down to 4.5 already, although it only went up to 5.5 while away I am on slightly more insulin. No change in weight but I am still weaning my portions and wine ready to go full pelt next week when I have planned my menu and shopped.
    Tululah, we went on a Med cruise which took us to Gibraltar, Sardinia, Sicily, Dubrovnik and Sibenik in Croatia then Venice and Palma Mallorca. 17 nights and I have just spent a week with my daughter in the UK for her 40th. They are usually out here with us for school half term but her boyfriend wanted to give her a big party – glad they are not here as we have had nothing but rain and the pool is only 22 degrees.
    Reading the comments about other people’s well meaning advice. In England I have a friend who is T1 and when we talk about diets he tells me I need to eat at least 5 portions of starchy carbs but I have explained it is different for T2 as I can change me outcomes. I also have a friend who, in the years I have known her has always been between 18 and 22 stone. She has dithered between ‘I might get diabetes as my mum has it’ to ‘I am pre-diabetic’ and now she tells me she has full blown diabetes and is on 4 Metformin. I recommended this diet about a year ago and she tried it and lost 5lbs in 3 days but then she told her diabetes nurse and was told to stop it immediately. Then she went to her Slimming World class and they said WOW you have lost 5lbs, so she told them how and they told her she is not to do this silly diet and she must eat carbs. I told her to tell them all to get stuffed and get back on it – so I hope you are reading this Suzanne and getting rid of the weight and meds.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

That is wicked Sunshine Girl, telling someone who is successfully losing weight to stop. How dare they; why can’t medics let people who want to manage their own health?
    You have a ton more nutritional knowledge than the average medic, and their CPD is all delivered by Pharma who (department of the obvious) want us to stay unwell.
    As she’s in the UK suggest she watches the Doctor who Gave Up Drugs. He’s been looking at the monstrous over-prescription of drugs for children and the harm it’s doing; it’s obviously transferable across all doctor/patient interactions.
    A friend of mine was a rep for Searle who developed Aspartame; she was excellent at selling and earned massive bonuses. Like tobacco or arms salesmen they don’t care about the damage they do, just the money in their monthly cheque; encourage your friend to think why they should be given a wrong steer and the answer is, as so much is, follow the money.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi everyone, Ive been on a break for a couple of weeks.I got sick of making goals and not doing anything about them.I was not counting my food and feeling kind of over it.So I just stopped and Ive been eating anything thats around what ever I want.so I gained a couple of kilos very quickly reached my panic weight of 84kg today , So now its time to get back on track.Im hoping a weekly target is easier to complete.starting tomorrow with food measuring and increased exercise.target to loose1kg in a week.

• posted by oggs
    on

Hello everyone, I’m new to the site and will be starting the Fast 800 tomorrow. I was pleased to find this thread as I do better when I have some accountability.
    I’m hoping that I won’t find it too difficult to get my head around as I’ve previously tried various High Fat Low Carb WOE’s (Atkins, Whole30, Paleo etc) and VLCDs.
    I’m currently re-reading The 8 Week BSD book and have reserved the accompanying recipe book to collect from the library tomorrow.
    To begin with I’ll be using a combination of VLCD shakes and real food as I have some shakes/meals left over.
    I’ll also be using MFP to monitor macros and calories, and I use a Fitbit to keep track of my steps.
    Hope to get to know you all better over the coming weeks.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning!

Welcome oggs and welcome back Butterlover.I think we all need a break from ‘counting’ occasionally.

Welcome to June! By the end of this month we will be half way through 2018 so maybe it’s time to start reasseing the year so far and then by July we can all have a ‘plan’ , new or existing, in place. I know s-g is nearing the end of her second year with BSD and I’m only a matter of weeks behind her, so even more reason to take stock.

Personally, I can’t imagine eating any other way now but I guess we can’t just dismiss the medics and their advice. We really don’t know if eating this way will be good for us in the long term, only time will tell. It does seem logical that LCHF is the way forward but back in the 70’s we were brainwashed into thinking low fat was best. I guess we can only follow our own gut feelings and follow the path we ‘feel’ to be the right one. However, doctors train for many years and they see the ‘bigger’ picture when we may see only a few strands. Let’s just stay open minded to all the current research.

Sorry, off my soap box now! Have a good Friday and let’s ‘plan’ for the weekend ….. failing to plan is planning to fail!!

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi Verano – I’m afraid I don’t have as much faith in the medical profession as you!
    Back in the 60’s Ancel Keys was the guy who claimed that saturated fats were bad for us on the basis of faked research; meanwhile the sugar lobby was bribing influential scientists at Harvard to say there was no evidence to say that sugar was bad for us.
    Personally, I’ve concluded that all research is questionable unless the complete study is published and funders named. On that basis I’m going to make my own decisions about my health and refuse to be medicated into an early grave.
    Goodness, this WOE is empowering!!!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – it is confusing isn’t it when the guidelines state we should eat more starchy carbs and keep low fat. I well remember my despair in early 2016 – I was following the guidelines absolutely to the letter as I did so desperately want to save my sight and I didn’t want to lose my right foot – but the more stringently I followed the “base your meals on starchy carbs and eat low fat” the worse my eyesight and the numbness in my foot got.

Even though on this WOE I have reversed those health issues I still get a slightly panicked feeling when I cook my scrambled eggs in butter and sprinkle flakes of organic cheese on top and spray olive oil on my little gem lettuce (as I did this morning). My brain still screams to me that this is so unhealthy. I wanted to add half an avocado but actually just couldn’t do it because of the fear of fat.

There is a growing body of evidence that our way of eating is good for us – and some very eminent doctors, cardiologists and professors support it – but it is so hard to ignore a lifetime of believing the low fat message. I obviously was totally brainwashed by it.

• posted by Tululah
    on

Hi peeps,
    Sunshine girl – your holiday sounded amazing! Well done on keeping your number down with all that going on!
    Welcome Oggs! This is a great forum with lots of brilliant advice and like minded people who don’t all succeed in the same way! You will find your own way with the help of everyone here, I promise!
    Welcome back Butterlover – lets get you back on that pony! Here’s my clasped hands for you to stand on- Ill give you a hand up!:)
    Its taken me a while to find my feet (11 weeks?) I’m not very good at sticking to all the ‘rules’ (I’m not diabetic) so i still indulge now and then but I’m never really OFF it now. I veer away a lot but it might just be for that 1 oatcake (or that 1 chocolate cake occasionally if I’m honest). I used to be ‘off’ it for the whole day after ‘messing up’ or more likely the whole week. I think I just used it as an excuse to eat unhealthily really. I don’t give myself that excuse anymore. You eat something that’s not on your plan, or you just want it, or you just stuff in your face – no biggie. Enjoy it and move on from it – straight away! For me the biggest trigger I have is my own mind and I have to very careful to notice when that inner critic is in full tirade and make sure I put it firmly in its place. Its a horrible bugger and has made me eat way more than I need to my whole life.
    This week I logged EVERYTHING and realised I was having around 1100 calories on average but still keeping my carbs at around 35/40. Seems to be working for me as Ive lost 4.5 pounds in 4 days! Got new numbers on my scales for first time in weeks (15.6 stone) and an 18lbs loss in total -so that’s me also lost 7.5% of my total body weight! Love it. That’s after weeks and weeks of going up and down at the same weight! I was SO ready for chucking the towel in more than a few times but I’m so glad i didn’t.
    Where would I go anyway? 🙂
    I find that this WOL has got so many lovely surprises to unearth if you just keep digging away. Little gems that keep popping out as you go in a new direction or find a new path or go a little deeper. For me this is a journey that doesn’t go in a straight line but probably looks more like a rabbit warren full of half finished tunnels and brand new ones that Ive just started, where I constantly go up and down, backwards, forwards or even side the ways! Some weeks its my overall health that’s my focus sometimes its my weight. Sometimes its neither and I just find a nice cosy tunnel, stay really still and try to learn about myself. Sometimes I’m miles away from the warren and it takes me a little while to get back home!
    On that strange visual note! I’m away on holiday tomorrow to Croatia and will check in at the end of next week! My goal is to come back the same! Wish me luck!
    You are all doing so well – take care and be very kind to yourselves!
    Much Love Tully xxx:) 🙂 🙂

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi everybody!
    Please can I join your thread?
    I did the BSD last year and lost 25lb in the 8 weeks.
    However, I have put back on at least half of that and my diabetes symptoms are quite back atm.
    I am starting again today, and tmrw at 9am I will get weighed at WeightWatchers. I like the discipline of a weekly weigh-in on accurate scales.
    I would like to ask the group how much weight can I realistically hope to lose in 4 months on two cycles of the 8-week 800 BSD???
    Looking forward to replies.
    Nancy x

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi oggs – we’re both starting today!!!
    I have the recipe book which I used all the time when I did the 800 BSD last year and I can tell you the recipes are delicious!!!
    Good luck!
    Nancy x

on

Hi all, just pottering around and not losing any weight – want to just settle back into being home, washing, gardening etc. BG was 84 or 4.6 this morning so need to start reducing insulin but I am having my HbA1c in less than 2 weeks so dont want to fudge the results. I will really have to get serious about weight loss as I am 2kg heavier than when I last saw my doctor 3 months ago and he is very strict. 13 days to lose 2kg, of course I can do it.
    Have a great holiday Tuluhula
    Oggs you have done this before so you should have some idea about how much you will lose, we cant really answer that as it depends on how much you weigh now, exercise, do you stick to 800 calories and so on. You should lose around 1.5 to 2 stone in the first round but slow down in the 2nd. It is all down to you. Good luck.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All .thanks for the lovely welcome.this morning wt 83.7kg so commenced the downward curve.Bgl 5.7 .Im not officially diabetic more pre diabetic but I do like to monitor bgl .todays meals where more like 1000 calories . carbs 65gm and not much exercise.I will need to plan my menu better but its a start.All the discussion of holidays sounds so nice as Im in perth Australia, We are just starting our winter.very wet last week and more expected next week.I have a holiday planned for august in Singapore. That gives me 8 weeks to be swimsuit svelte .Im motivated and back on my pony.cheers

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Verano,
    I think you were being very wise while you were standing on your soap box. – We know being overweight is harmful. – we know its very difficult to return to a healthy weight and stay there if you just count calories, so its logical that researching recent scientific discoveries on the benefits of being low carb and working out how to apply it to our own lives is the best option we have. To modify a quote to fit, we will be the people demonstrating if the proof is in (not eating) the pudding.

I have respect for DrMM and the people behind this site who have provided a forum for us to support each other, exchanging ideas and links to research without making it mandatory to buy the books, join the program, etc etc. – It must be galling to those Dr’s who want to promote their own pay to join weight loss programs to see such an active forum.

• posted by Tesselate
    on

Hi all … newbie here, started Tuesday, after a dry run Monday and a couple of weeks before that just ‘gearing up’ m entally! This new woe requires learning new habits and getting rid of old ones along with the fat I need to burn. Spurred on to do this by a very new diabetes diagnoses, which hit me like a ton o bricks, and i’m bound and determined to reverse it having researched and discovered it can be reversed. When I stumbled on MM and his 800/8 weeks approach I knew I had to do it – in part because I’m a Brit expat in the US, and surely that means his approach and the science behind it is for ME and my Brit genes! 🙂 So I had lost a few pounds in the run up to this but the scale readout is where it hasn’t been in a long time and I’m so grateful because this is do-able. (I speak American!). My goal for this week is to follow the book and recipes it contains – I’m not wanting to flex at all yet while I get used to the amount of food, no alcohol, and no snacking – time after I’ve achieved my objective to play around with recipes and foods.
    So that’s a quick check in from me 🙂 You’ll see me again when I have questions I’m sure!

• posted by Verano
    on

Welcome back NancyB. Have a great holiday Tully.

MaggieBath I have a healthy mistrust of most things in life and, as with most professions, there are bad, good and very good doctors. I think that so many people now try to self diagnose with the help of Dr Google etc.that it can lead to all sorts of problems. I’m also not a ‘pill popper’and my main reason for starting BSD was to come off metformin, which I have succeeded in doing. However, not so long ago I had a illness and was taking very strong antibiotics. After 10 days or so I developed what we thought was gout in my big toe. OH has tablets for gout and rang the doctor to see if I could take them with my other medication. She was absolutely adamant that she had to come out to see me, and she did. It did turn out to be gout but she said it could have been a serious complication of my illness. So, with that in mind, and wondering why doctors have to go through such long and rigorous training if we can all self diagnose so happily, I do wonder if we sometimes dismiss the medical profession too quickly. After all, in general, they have very little training in diet and nutrition. As our first port of call with a doctor is to a GP…. general practitioner…. and not an expert in one field, maybe we shouldn’t be too daming of them. Sadly, most GPs don’t have the time to keep up to date with every piece of new research. We have a vested interest in LCHF eating so it is quite possible that we are better informed than some medics in that particular area.

Krysia I think your experience was truly frightening but thank goodness you have found a WOE that keeps you healthy. This is what we all want at the end of the day otherwise we wouldn’t be reading and writing here!

Have a good weekend!

• posted by Verano
    on

P.S. welcome Tesselate, our posts crossed in the ether!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – you are right that we do have a vested interest in LCHF as our health is at stake. This forum is full of very savvy members who are quite possibly better informed than some medics in this area.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 5 of 7 this week seems to be flying by. Hope we all have a good weekend meeting our goals.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Morning everybody!
    Just been weighed at WeightWatchers – I am 16st 6lb (age 58). When I did my first cycle of the 800 BSD early last year I started at 17st 8lb and managed to lose 25lb. So – I have put back on 9lb since then, which I suppose isn’t so bad.
    This is now Day 2 of the diet. Bit of a challenge this afternoon, going to a 60th birthday party, will try to be good.
    I want to get in two cycles of the 800 BSD by 1st October this year, when I am planning to go to Greece.
    Have a great weekend everyone!

• posted by NancyB
    on

I joined my local leisure centre few days ago and had my first swim last evening. Also had a one-2-one with a Pilates teacher ( because I am completely new to Pilates). Aiming to do one activity each day at the leisure centre. Bit of gym, bit of swimming, 2 or 3 classes a week.

on

Good morning all, another day of just easing into things – realised I dont have to do a menu as there is one already on my fridge door that I use 3 weeks ago so it will still be long enough ago to be like a new one. BG is down to 4.3 this morning having reduced insulin by 2 units – slowly slowly does it. Keep on keeping on….

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Sunshine-girl – your BS is doing really well. It’s a great feeling when you can lower your insulin and the blood sugars are still low.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g you sound so relaxed. I’m sure we all do better when we relax into this WOE. Hope I will be able to soon too!

on

Hi Krysia, problem is my BG was always low on this plan but what with the holiday, the cruise and then another holiday I have increased insulin from 22 to 38 so now in the process of reducing. Much more important to me than my weight. Although I am seeing my doctor on 13th and he is a stickler for weight loss so, starting Monday, I am going to be getting serious.

V, at least I dont have any more holidays for visitors for 2 months so can be more relaxed about things. Will set some proper goals on Monday. Just realised that gives me exactly 8 weeks – so the plan starts Monday (or Tuesday) – I will stick with the weekly challenges as it is nice to stick with people I know and not start the same discussions over that we have been having for the last 2 years (28th June is my BSD anniversary).

on

One more thing, our pool is 23 degrees right now and one more degree and I will be in it. Shame we are forecast for 4 days of storms but they sometimes come about because of the heat and it is 32 today.

Please log in or register to post a reply.