Soup ideas?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Syb
    on

I am trying to come up with some winter recipes I can take to work. I am not a big fan of tomato soups so was thinking a pea and ham would be ok? I was also thinking casseroles with meat, stock and above ground veggies?

I’d love some ideas and opinions

thank

Syb

• posted by Izzy
    on

there is a recipe I enjoyed in the recipes here, for cauliflower and canelini bean soup, it’s really nice. Also there is a recipe for mushroom soup but I don’t like mushrooms so haven’t tried it.

Your casserole idea sounds good, you could do other things like chilli, and maybe take cucumber sticks or celery to dunk in.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

My OH is a brilliant soup maker.
    During the Uk winter i’ve been feasting on pea and ham, lentil and bacon, med vegetable, chicken and butternut squash soup as well as stews with chicken or lamb, and curries.
    There’s a vast array of recipes on the site to try, most of them delicious.
    Just a little planning and anyone can produce delicious food that fits perfectly into this plan
    Good luck

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Syb,
    there is a great recipe for Creamy Cauliflower and Bean Soup on the recipe section that is great and freezes well. I am veggie and like Bill, have kept going since March on daily soup. I make pea soup with frozen peas (1000g), onion, garlic, (lots of) fresh mint added at the end, stock. Blitz well and that should make 4-5 bowls of soup. You can use meat stick, or add bacon or ham as required.
    Also – simple veg soup with onion, carrot, leeks, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry powder, tin of cannelloni beans. Again – makes 4-5 portions and freezes well.
    good luck

• posted by Syb
    on

Thanks everyone. I had a look at the split peas and the carbs are really high. I’m getting really sick of cauliflower and it’s only week 2 🙁 I also thought pumpkin and squash were very high in carbs?

Ham and carrot is looking like an option

S

• posted by Natalie
    on

I like bacon and broccoli in some chicken stock. I use a little bit of potato to give it a creamier texture when it’s blended up, but if you wanted really low carbs you could leave that out.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hy Syb, you can make soup out of just about anything!!!
    I use gluts of lettuce for soup – I know it sounds rank but actually it is tasty!!
    Use any above ground veg, courgette and garlic with cream cheese or stilton
    lettuce and cream cheese ( or spinach)
    broccoli with cream cheese
    cauliflower with blue cheese
    Asparagus and cream
    You can use any veg and add a can of cannellini or butter beans
    If you don’t use beans just add cheese.
    The combinations are limited only by imagination
    I know you said you don’t like tomato soups but fry an onion, add a can of tomatoes and a can of butter beans. Blitz with a blender stick and you have a quick to make delicious soup. You can add herbs or spices according to taste.
    🙂 Oh and instead of croutons what about a sprinkling of crispy bacon?

I often used to take chickpea chilli to school and ate it cold. Scrummy!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

There is a Cuban black bean and chorizo soup I used to make – very tasty and a bit different, you could google the recipe. There are also lots of bean soups out there!!

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

There’s also a really delicious recipe which somebody posted for minestrone soup which I an highly recommend – quick and easy to make a totally delicious – I sometimes add chilli flakes to spice it up

• posted by Syb
    on

Thank you. Some great ideas here, thank you. Unfortunately my cooking imagination is a bit limited, so thank you hashimoto for giving me somewhere to start on Google. I found a cheap ham bone at the deli so a ham and carrot broth was last nights attempt. Cheesy broccoli is looking positive for my next foray.

Please log in or register to post a reply.