So…it starts today: my 8 week (at least) diary

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Thank you! And pleased to hear it’s still going well for you too πŸ™‚ I like hearing from people who are further ahead on their 8 weeks than I am as it gives me hope I can stay the course! What kinds of ups and downs are you experiencing?

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

I started May 23rd so on my 19th week. Gracious that sounds surprising! I did just have to look that up haha, as I have not been counting weeks since I went into the med style. Still losing the last pound or two to be my ideal target but finding that it’s working and suited me better than anything I have ever done. Still quite excited about meeting old friends! Couldn’t count on myself to give wise advice like CaptainLynne but I guess I really have had some experience now.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Baristagirls πŸ˜ƒ *waves*

I’ve just checked and I’be been on this journey for 41 weeks😱

Of course you can give wise advice! We all have different experiences and relate to different peopleπŸ˜ƒ

• posted by Flash21
    on

19 weeks and 41 weeks….I hope I’m going to last even half as long as this! Thank you both for the advice you’ve posted throughout the forums – it’s very welcome!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Gahhhhh! I have gained a pound πŸ™ and am now unreasonably cross about it πŸ™ I knew it was likely to happen as I had some rice (couple of spoonfuls) and half a wrap with my dinner (Lebanese, delicious) but I didn’t want it to happen. I know I shouldn’t be cross with myself, but I am! Does anyone else feel like this when (if) it happens?

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Yes… it’s very annoying but as the weeks roll by you get more used to the fluctuation and are a bit kinder to yourself! Don’t worry Flash21 it will fly off as quick as it went on. Do you weigh at the same time in the day?

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hey Baristagirls!

I try to weigh in the morning before getting dressed. I have been weighing myself every day recently but would prefer for that to be only once or twice a week really. Need to wean myself off the scales! I think it’s because I had such a big loss last week I am just annoyed at a gain, but you’re right, there are bound to be fluctuations so I will have to learn to roll with them. Thank you for the encouragement!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hurrah! That errant pound has disappeared again. Still going against efforts to not weigh every day but I will try to hold off from now until Tuesday morning. Has anyone else experienced a big loss in week 1, little to nothing in week 2 and then more loss in the following weeks? I’m worried I managed to lose 10lbs and now my body is saying haha, no more weight loss for you….

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Yep, happened to me during the second and third week but then great results this week. ( 4th week)
    So don’t be despondent, you’ll lose more…

• posted by Antigone
    on

Hi Flash – had the same in weeks 2&3. But then it steadied and kept going down. I finished (my first!) 8 weeks at the end of last month. I have been away (and eaten far too much) so will be starting the next official 8 weeks on Monday (back on it already and feeling better for it). I have a few social/eating encounters to negotiate but intend to be very strict and lose another 2 stones – it’s my birthday in early December and I hope to be celebrating in size 12 clothes! I have a scales addiction too and I can’t see that changing EVER! I need the pressure!

• posted by topcac
    on

I lost 6 3/4 lbs in the first week, 1 lb in the second week then the third week weigh in I had put on that pound again!! Mid week weigh in has seen me lose it again but YES – having the same issue as you. end of week 4 is on Sunday then I go to the US for a week on business – if I don’t lose this week I’m worried my emotional toddler will have a tantrum and I’ll be eating Ben and Jerry’s and chicken wings before I know it!!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Thank you everyone! You have made me feel better πŸ™‚

Nedds mum – how are you doing this week? Good to know that great results come round again after some potentially slower weeks.

Antigone – glad to hear you also went down again after weeks 2 and 3. And now you’re about to start your second 8 week stint – so it must work! You’ll definitely be in size 12 clothes soon πŸ™‚

topcac – argh!! Those naughty pounds jumping back on again. Sooooo frustrating. I hope you see a loss between now and Sunday but if not, don’t despair! We’ll all be rooting for you. Don’t get waylaid by all those (admittedly delicious) things!

Onwards and downwards – enjoy the weekend πŸ™‚

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Hi flash.
    I’m ok thanks.
    Had a positive week until today. I too have gained and am also unwell. I want to eat (naughty things!) to make myself feel better.

To be honest it’s all a bit of a roller coaster but am sure it is for everyone.

Generally I feel better and lighter but can’t help myself thinking of cake, biscuits and chocolate.

Have a good weekend

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Nedds mum,
    Just seen your post – you are spot on when you say it’s all a bit of a roller coaster. I’m sure a lot of people have experienced “ups” on the scales, it’s not all downwards every time you step on them. But so long as the trend is downwards that’s all you need. It is hard when you are feeling low/ill and thoughts turn to comfort food but over time you do lose your dependency. If your good intentions do go AWOL, don’t worry, just start up again and get back on track.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Hi Nedds mum

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Been sick too …. although i haven’t eaten junk food …. except for wine and diet Dr. Pepper …. i haven’t been up to exercise …. and i haven’t even tried to keep 800 calories except for 2 days where i didn’t feel like eating anything at all.

When i feel better … i’ll want to get back to exercise and 800 calories. Until then i’m not going to worry about it too much.

Frankly the wine went down really good ……. but i didn’t feel better the next day.

• posted by soosiewoosy
    on

It starts today for me, too! Hoping to lose disgusting belly fat which has increased alarmingly over the years! My body seems stuck in fight or flight mode and I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, as well as sleepless nights, and indigestion (especially after eating bread). I am sure it’s all insulin-related and although I have always had lowish blood pressure, it is now elevated! Not good! So…I am about to re-set my metabolism. I have just ordered the recipe book from Amazon and will log my food on My Fitness Pal. Wish me luck!

• posted by soosiewoosy
    on

UK
    Start weight 147.4lbs (on 3 Oct 2016) I have come across to BSD from the 5:2 Fast Diet, I did lose weight but I really want the belly fat to come off fast.
    Today’s weight 144.4lbs.

Plan for today:
    Breakfast: lean eggs and ham 118 cals
    Lunch: Tarka Dal 237 cals
    Supper: Watercress Salad and steamed Salmon 382 cals
    TOTAL cals 737

The remainder will be cups of tea!

Haven’t decided on exercise yet – any tips?

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Feel low today.

Unwell + father in law staying = high stress levels.

High stress levels = chocolate consumption. Have let myself down.

😞😞 apologies for being so negative but feel better just for typing this!

• posted by shalimar
    on

Nedds mum …. HUGS.
    Sorry you are feeling low.
    You are not letting yourself down … you are just coping as best you can today. Be kind to yourself.

HUGS.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Nedds Mum, I’ll just add my hugs to Shalimar’s!
    I’m an inveterate comfort eater, sometimes stress & other crap just gets the better of me in spite of my good intentions. We are only human.. We’ve all made the occasional slip. As Shalimar says, be kind to yourself. Using this forum as a confessional is great for getting things out of your system – then you can focus on getting back on track.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Thanks shalimar and Rozy

Your words have helped. I need to write today off and accept I probably won’t lose anything for a few days now.
    Thx

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello everyone,

I hope Monday is treating you all well so far….

Nedds mum – sorry to hear you have been unwell. I’ve had a cold since Thursday and it has definitely made me feel sorry for myself and want to eat all kinds of things that I shouldn’t even be thinking of. I caved yesterday and had ice cream (for my sore throat, of course….), which means I haven’t lost anything yet this week (weigh in tomorrow) but hopefully I won’t have gained either. I hope you feel better soon. Be kind to yourself! More hugs coming your way πŸ™‚

shalimar – hope you are also feeling better now – get well hugs for you too. I guess it’s that time of year when colds and bugs are rife. I haven’t exercised and I have definitely had wine! But I will be back on track from today and hopefully when I’ve got rid of this cold I’ll be able to do a bit more exercise too.

soosiewoosy – welcome and good luck! Your meal plan looks tasty πŸ™‚ I’m not much of an exerciser at the moment due to a severe back injury but I think anything goes really! Do what you enjoy as you’ll be more interested and committed as a result. If you like dancing, dance around your living room for as long as you can. If you run, go for a jog. Hate running? Go swimming! The choice is yours really. I think Michael Mosely advocates the HIIT style of exercising (high intensity interval training) – if you do a search on the forums you should find some more about it and I think he covers it in the book.

RozyDozy – Hello! I am also a comfort eater and stress and/or feeling low has me craving all the crappy stuff. Sometimes I can ignore it and other times I will fall face first into a bag of crisps or a big thick slice of bread with peanut butter and jam. I like your advice though, getting things out of your system definitely helps.

Enjoy your day everyone – speak to you soon!

• posted by Flash21
    on

Morning all….feeling a bit glum this morning as had my official week 2 weigh in and I have not lost anything πŸ™ I haven’t gained either, so I suppose that’s positive, but I really wanted to be at least a couple of pounds down again. That said I did have ice cream and wine over the weekend so I know I only have myself to blame. Really need to get out of the cycle of “treating” myself and then obsessing over the scale as clearly it’s not really a treat if I’m just sad about it after. Gahhhhh. Hope you are all faring better!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Flash, if you read some older threads you will find that many of us found weeks 2 and 3 a bit of a bu—er. It is when your body shuts down after the initial shock. That might not be technically true but it is what seems to happen. Always, always keep on the plan, it will suddenly come off. It happens at various stages so some at week 5, then maybe again at week 8 and so on. You have to expect it and go with it. One theory is that the first week there is body fat (blubber) and water loss, the second week the fat is melting away from your internal organs and this does not weigh as much as body fat. Just feel confident that you are doing the right thing for your body and KEEP ON KEEPING ON.

• posted by Poppetini
    on

Flash, I’ve been the same. A fantastically surprising result at the end of week 1. And then half a pound loss – if I stood on the scales just so – at the end of Wk 2. However, now 2 days into Wk 3 and something’s happening in a downward fashion on the scales again. Have you seen the ‘whooshes and swooshes’ article someone posted recently? (Sorry don’t have the link, but maybe google?).

Do you feel better eating this way? That’s what I’d base it all on.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Just popping in, to say

ARE YOU MEASURING??????

I always say that………sorry, not meant to be shouting, just making sure you’re taking due note πŸ˜‰

Did you take measurements, or are you judging against some clothes. As Poppletini sensibly says, don’t get too attached to the scales they do go up and down or stay frustratingly level. But look at other things – how do you feel, is your waist going down, does your face look a bit thinner, are your jeans a bit looser.

You are actually changing how your body reacts to food, your hormonal response. Be kind, give it a chance!

Keep on keeping on and YOU WILL SUCCEED!

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Hi flash
    Don’t worry, I didn’t lose in week 2 or 3 and even now it’s still only a pound here and there. Just reasonably happy it’s still going down.
    You’ll get there. Stay strong.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Awwww thanks everyone! You have all made me feel much better.

Sunshine – glad to hear this is typical of the 8 week plan. As you say, I will keep on keeping on. Will not let it derail me as things have done in the past.

Poppetini – I will definitely look up “whooshes”! Pleased to hear you’re moving downwards again. But yes, ultimately I do feel better. Definitely less bloated and uncomfortable, so that is a good sign.

Igor – I haven’t been measuring! *hides in corner* But I WILL! That said, I have gone down (up?) a belt notch and the next one along isn’t looking too far away. Skinny jeans are a bit baggier but face not thinner – yet! I will borrow some of your confidence and see how I go!

Nedds mum – ok, seems like looking for the downward trend is the most important part, not the rate of loss. I will bear that in mind and stay strong!

Good luck one and all for another good week. I might do a mid-week weigh in so will post back if any movement on the scales!

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

On 5th week and have lost a pound!!!!!!!!!!! And…after an appalling weekend.

8 lbs in total.

Still so slow but…

I understand why it’s slow progress as I am not weighing. My aim is now to do just that and maybe just maybe lose 2 lbs this next coming week.

This forum is really helping me so thanks to each and every one of you. Hope you are all having a good day. πŸ™‚

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Nedsmum, okay it is only 8lbs, but it is 8 lbs less than you weighed 5 weeks ago. I notice you had a slip up with the father in law causing stress and a chocolate binge, that could have set you back a few pounds, even if you didn’t gain, you also stalled. Never mind, get back into the right mind set. I don’t know if you are diabetic but I am and I have only lost 16lbs in 15 weeks BUT my health is so much better, lower blood glucose, lower blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides, reduced my medication. To me that is worth more than losing 30 lbs. You might be doing your body more good than just losing weight.

Keep on keeping on.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Thanks sunshine girl

16lbs is fantastic. So good to hear you are feeling so much better too.

I am/was pre diabetic (not sure if I still am) and that’s another reason I embarked on this eating plan.

I feel lighter and less bloated and that does spur me on. Also someone asked me at the weekend if I had lost weight. Cannot tell you how chuffed I was!

The weekend certainly was a challenge but I’ve come out the other side.
    I’ll weigh my food this week and hopefully this will help.

I did think though that 5 weeks in my extreme sugar cravings would have subsided, but oh no, I still wake up thinking of chocolate!

I have to do this for the sake of my health and I will continue to do my best.

I reading the BSD book at the moment and I am realising that I’ve been making mistakes. Some I knew full well others I had no clue.
    I’ve been eating lots of sweet potatoes and other root veg. I now know they are high in carbs. As of weekend have cut them out so maybe I’ll lose some more.

Have a good afternoon and keep going yourself. Well done.

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Flash
    How are you doing today?

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello my lovelies!

Nedds mum – 1lb after a horrid weekend is fab! And 8lbs in total is fantastic, esp seeing as most plans advocate a 0.5-1lb loss per week – you are ahead of the game! Slow progress better than no progress (my new motto I think).

I’m also in that prediabetic range. Got to have blood sugars retested before Christmas so hoping efforts with BSD will have made a difference. Yes, I would like to lose a LOT of weight and I would like it to be coming off more quickly than it is at the moment, but the added health benefits are also something to consider. Haven’t had anyone notice my weight loss yet but hopefully that’s in the pipeline!

Glad to see you’ve noticed a few tweaks you can make to your diet. You never know, the smallest of things can make the biggest difference.

Sunshine – your outlook has definitely made me look at things differently. The whole rather than just the weight loss. It’s important, so thank you for the reminder!

I am ok ish today. Quite headachey so trying to drink a lot but actually craving ALLL the sweet things. Knowing there is a cafe full of delights just downstairs is quite literally doing my head in right now!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello all – it’s not all plain sailing. You have to grit your teeth and stick to it. You may say – it’s alright for you to say – πŸ™‚ well it is actually πŸ™‚ I craved all the wrong things but fortunately (fortunately?) I was in such a poor state of health and fed up with my weight that it spurred me on. I thought, if this doesn’t work, what will? And those feeling lasted a good 6 weeks of the 8 if not more. So beat it and don’t eat it πŸ™‚ Drink and if you want to snack…. where’s those babybels? Or hazelnuts? Or soup?

• posted by Flash21
    on

Oooh “beat it and don’t eat it” ANOTHER new motto! Thanks Baristagirls! You are entirely right, head down and get on with it. I think most of us are here because we need to make improvements to our health – drastic ones or otherwise. I really need to stop thinking of this from a deprivation point of view and see how much better it is to be living without the things that are making me ill. So, babybels, soup, water, eggs etc it is!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

That’s the spirit Flash21 – hard but rewarding eh…. and as you mention eggs…have you tried frying it in a tiny bit of butter and topping with cheese? So yummy and worth the calories

• posted by Flash21
    on

OMG eggs with butter and cheese – pretty much all my favourites in one go (minus peanut butter, but I think adding that would not be a good idea….)! Will definitely be trying that πŸ™‚

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Haha you and me were given “the” taste buds to have. I love peanut butter! Now that I don’t count calories I sometimes dop a little bit onto a small square of butter and in it goes….. soooo tasty. If you get the Meridian crunchy sort, it gives the crunch that you might miss with a carby biscuit. Something to look forward to πŸ™‚

• posted by Flash21
    on

Baristagirls, are we secretly twins??! πŸ˜‰ Peanut butter is the BEST! I love it. I’ve also found a peanut and coconut butter which is nice but not sure of the consistency yet. Always has to be crunchy PB, never smooth! Definitely something to look forward to… *puts head on desk and dreams of PB*

• posted by Flash21
    on

Good morning all!

So it’s end of week 3/beginning of week 4 for me today. Official weigh in says I am now down 12lbs, so pretty happy with that although would have liked to have reached a full stone off by now. Hopefully the week 2-3 plateau has been broken though! I’ve found myself doing almost enforced fasting at the moment as I’m so busy at work I often don’t have time to eat until about 3pm. I wonder if that helped with the plateau? Mmmm. Anyway, also moving closer to another belt notch down!

How are you all doing?

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hurrah! Down from belt notch number 3 to belt notch number 5!

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Fantastic flash. Well done. You must be so chuffed.
    I had a couple of weeks 4 and 5 where I lost a couple of pounds but nothing this week. 😞 Annoyed yesterday but hopefully will lose next week.

Once again fab progress for you!

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

I’m just not having a good day.
    Feel a bit deflated as not lost anything for over a week.
    Been experiencing that ‘what’s the point ‘ attitude.
    Feel and look heavy 😞😞😞

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hey Nedds mum, take heart, you’re lighter than you were?
    What can you do to shake out this plateau…?
    Drink more water. Drink. Drink. Drink. On my less controlled days I can usually cancel it out with gallons of water. Which equivalates a weight loss πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
    Make sure you’re getting enough fat. Do you like lattes? I think a whole milk latte is so filling and well worth the calories.
    Keep on keeping on

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Thanks for your advice

I’m ashamed of myself. Completely fallen off wagon today – in a spectacular way.

If any of you have done this, how did you pull it back. Had a reasonable 5/6 weeks and now let myself go. I just don’t want to undo all the good progress. Do you think one really bad day will affect overall results over the 8 weeks?
    😒😒

• posted by Flash21
    on

Ohhh Nedds mum, don’t be ashamed of yourself! Definitely not. I fell off the wagon last night too after a long, crappy day. I hadn’t had anything to eat, hadn’t drunk any water or squash and just ended up bingeing on Mexican food. Probably at least double the 800 cals, if not more and definitely not within usual carb limits. I was cross, tired, fed up, hungry – all the things that I have been trying not to use food to soothe…..I guess it shows we’re only human and we will fall every once in a while. The trick is to get back up and keep on going. One day isn’t going to ruin anything. Two days probably won’t either, but two days will turn easily into three and before you know it you’ll (not you specfically, I hasten to add!) be back where you started. So, write off the bad day. Make good choices today and even better ones tomorrow. Identify why you might have fallen off the wagon. I know being disheartened is a difficult thing to deal with – I am in exactly the same position as you. Weight not shifting, despite all the effort. It’s hard to keep going. But you’ve already shown that you CAN do it. Now you need to take stock, do something nice for yourself that’s non-food related and then pick up where you left off. Drink as much water as you can. Make sure you have a clean diet with healthy fats which will keep you feeling full and less likely to stray. You can absolutely do this. I’m with you and the others are too! πŸ™‚

• posted by jjmurr74
    on

Neddsmum don’t be disheartened 5 to 6 weeks is fantastic just put the bad day behind u sometimes it’s ok to come of the wagon but just get straight back on it cos you’ve worked really hard already by the sounds of it so chin up think positive and be proud of yourself ☺

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Unfortunately another bad day. 2nd in a row

Family member very poorly in hospital. Stress levels high. Making all wrong food choices.
    Will try tomorrow.

I do appreciate the kind words. Thank you

• posted by Nedds mum
    on

Hi all. Thanks for your kind words. Trying desperately to get back on track.
    Anxious times at the moment so eating too much, not counting calories, weighing etc but am trying to make healthier choices than a few days ago. Will not weigh myself though for at least another week. I’d be fed up so hope if I get back on track this next coming week I may not see a gain in weight when I next stand on the scales.

Flash – how are you?

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hey Nedds mum,

So sorry to hear things with you are stressful at the moment. I hope your family member is also improving.

I have been terrible over the last couple of days and pretty much thrown the diet out of the window and for no good reason either πŸ™ Result? 3lb gain on the scales this morning. I am very cross with myself! I think I had got too complacement and had started to allow treats in. Also fed up with being on yet another plateau. But now having gained I think I’d prefer to be back on a plateau….gahhhhhh. So, back to basics from today. Strict approach, more water, no treats – you know the drill…..

How’s everyone else?

Please log in or register to post a reply.