Slowing down

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Everyone,

I have about 4 days to go to my first eight weeks. I am finding my calories are going up as I get closer to goal 1. Overall, this has been the best diet. really way of eating that I have been on. I haven’t craved carbs except once I thought avocado on toast would be nice. I like avocado on toast. Anyway I didn’t do it and have stuck to the BSD way of eating the whole way through.

I am going to try the BSD 5/2 WOE for a while then hopefully I will go another round of 800 calories. The main problem I have had is one of fatigue on 800 calories. Others have felt more energetic, not me. I hope to up my exercise when I up my calories a little.

I have lost 12 kgs, fbg down from 9.9 to 6.2, blood pressure down 15 systolic and 9 diastolic. I hope all these numbers will continue to improve.

I am on BSD forever as I was a carboholic before and like an alcoholic I don’t think I can limit myself to just a taste of something sweet.

The support from the forum has been helpful and uplifting.

On the downside, lately I feel it will be soooo long before I lose all the weight I have to. I am not giving up, it’s just a bit hard to see light at the end of the tunnel, What do others think or do when they feel like this?

All the best from the notso BIGEATER.

• posted by Verano
    on

Bigeater

There is no easy way. Your figures are all great. As you say this is a way of life and as such you just have to take one day at a time. I find it helpful to work with mini goals rather than looking at the ‘big’ picture.

Keep thinking about how well you’ve done and how far you’ve come rather than how far you have left to go!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Okay bigeater, so while you are here on the plan losing weight slowly you are not doing yourself any harm. What is the alternative, go all out and eat stupid carbs, get bigger and mess up your numbers. Not everyone loses big numbers or continues to do so, it does eventually come down to staying power and choosing this as a lifestyle. Just keep on keeping on…

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I started out needing to lose almost 200 pounds, so believe me I feel your pain, bigeater. For me, seeing the scale move is the primary day-to-day motivation. That makes it rough to deal with plateaus or random gains, of course. Getting through those is a slog, a teeth-gritting, this-too-shall-pass-repeating, emotionally draining slog. They don’t lost long, though, and it’s almost worth it for the sheer euphoria of seeing the figure drop again.

The distance of the goal really only troubles me when I’m in a plateau. As long as the scales are showing a steady downward result, even a very small one, the numbers of the day give me a nice little boost and that’s what I focus on. I never expected to lose as much as I have in so little time. Hell, I remember not so long ago wishing fervently that I could lose just 20 pounds in the five months before a planned plane trip so I wouldn’t spill over the seat quite so uncomfortably. It didn’t happen, of course. Nothing happened until the BSD. I think of that now when the scales are withholding my joy, as a reminder of how far I’ve come.

Keep your eyes on the short term and as the weight drops, slowly or otherwise, remember how much worse off you were before you took control of your health and started the BSD.

• posted by Beaglemom
    on

That’s great you’ve done so well so far. I’ve kind of stalled out myself. The weekends are hard because we have dinner out or with other people. I just have to be more disciplined, like you not caving in and having toast. Just keep making those good choices one at a time.
    Hang in there!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

As someone who naturally loses slowly, I always keep my goals small making them more easily attainable, thus keeping that sense of achievement going. As long as the scales are showing even a little in the right direction, I’m content. I have been on the BSD for a year now, with two long periods of ‘maintenance’ when I stopped counting calories and carbs and just eat to the BSD principles. On both occasions I gained a couple of pounds, which were lost relatively quickly on returning to the 800.

I would say set some mini-goals to keep you motivated and keep doing what your doing, because you know this works and you can achieve great results. Things will start to move again, so don’t let this slow down derail you. Good luck.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Thank you beaglemom. esnecca, Sunny b, sunshinegirl and verano for your helpful replies. I will keep slogging away and set myself minigoals along the way! The way of eating is not a hardship so I will do my best and forget the rest,

Here’s to your future successes

the not so BIGEATER

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

It took me two years exactly to get rid of the eight stone I needed to to make my target, so I know how long a process this is. I second the mini-goals suggestion, it saved me more than once, being able to celebrate in some small way each step along the road. Award yourself little non-food prizes or treats for hitting them and post them on one of the mini-goals threads where others can be inspired.

• posted by NickJ
    on

I have a similar problem, the weight loss stopped after 6 weeks, for 12 days despite no change from the 800 cals I have lost nothing. The blood sugars are also up. This was after an initial loss of 9kgs from 92.5 to 83.5 in 5 1/2 weeks with a drop of fasting bloods from 8-9 to 6-7 range, now up again to 7-8.

What the hell? Seems very contradictory, anyone else do the same? Must say I never had faith this would be the all reaching panacea but having been assiduous about it I am rather disappointed in blood results. Yes it is nice being thin but that was never the aim.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Nick,

Don’t be disheartened. In the blood sugar diet book Michael Mosley gives a case study account of someone’s fluctuating blood sugar on the diet…. but it came good in the end.

My heart is in my mouth regarding my next fbg test ordered by my doctor as when I stopped metformin the number went from 5.5 to 6.2 and I have to add that I have been rather ostrich like regarding checking since. I might get a rap over the knuckles for stopping meds at this stage but they have gone down from 9.9 prior to the bsd.

Have you also investigated the dawn effect. Check out the thread in the search box re morning blood sugar levels.

You have had a good weightloss and will continue to do so after this blip. Persistance is key.

All the best

the not so bigeater

Please log in or register to post a reply.