Slow cooker recipes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JMcD
    on

Hi. Just starting out on the 800 bsd. Has anyone got any recipes that i can do in my slow cooker. Just thinking it will be ready for when I get home thanks in advance.

• posted by Verano
    on

I don’t use a slow cooker but I guess any recipes you cook now you can still cook but you need to adapt them by leaving out any starchy high carb foods. For example potatoes, rice, pasta, parsnips, carrots in fact most vegetables grown underground. Hope that’s a little help.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’m making a lamb tagine in the slow cooker right this minute. Browned off chump chops, browned five halved shallots (small) and then added tagine spice mix, a little orange flower water and a little dried mint, topped up with water to cover and added a twist of salt.
    It’s also possible to cook a whole chicken or even a piece of pork in a slow cooker – just place in with a little water and any desired aromatics.
    As Verano said, any recipe you currently use for the slow cooker should be fine, but just beware of high carb items – root veggies, onions, leeks, tomatoes , beans, lentils etc., so limit these.

• posted by alliecat
    on

This recipe sounds delicious, Sunny! I often forget about my slow cooker, and we haven’t had lamb in ages. Quick
    question…When I think of Moroccan spices, I use ras el hanout, which has 12 different spices in it. Is this what
    you’re using? I’ll have to google “chump” chops, too! I hope you’re having a great day, and I know that it must smell
    heavenly in your house! Enjoy your tagined lamb 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

The mix I used has a turmeric base with other spices and thyme, but I do use ras el hanout sometimes too – I like to make my own actually. The tagine mix I’m using is one I bought on the recent trip to Marrakech.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, my friend! I make my own garam masala, which freezes beautifully, and stays very fresh. I haven’t
    yet tried dry roasting the whole spices for ras el hanout. Same principle, I think! I just KNEW you’d be bringing
    home fresh spices from Turkey and Marrakesh! 🙂 You are such a creative cook, and must have quite a reputation
    among family and friends. I don’t get all that excited about cooking for myself, but love to cook unusual dishes
    from all around the globe for guests.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

You’re right Allie, I buy most of my spices from Turkey from a vendor I have got to know very well and can rely on the quality of his produce. I introduced him to ras el hanout actually. On one visit, I was buying the spices I’d need to make some, including rose buds to break up to put in it and he asked what I was buying them for, so I explained and then took him some of my ras el hanout when I was next at the market.

I think we all go through phases of not feeling inspired about cooking, especially for ourselves, but yes, I like to pull out the stops when cooking for guests.

The tagine was pretty good by the way, but I have to say overall I prefer to blend my own spices, rather than use premixed spices – personally think you get a better result that way.

Please log in or register to post a reply.