Skinny pre-diabetic …did the diet but didn't count the calories and it WORKED!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JanJan
    on

Yes, I am over the moon. I was pre diabetic. Skinny, ate well, didn’t over indulge in anything I shouldn’t. Exercised 5 days a week and the weight started to pile on around my waist over the past year. I went to the doctor and was told I was pre-diabetic and my bad cholesterol was high. I spoke to my mother and found out that it was in the genes and I was predisposed to the high cholesterol and the type 2 diabetes. She recommended the blood sugar diet (she did it and changed her lifestyle, and although she still has type 2, she is slim, healthy and enjoying life). I bought the book and read it in a day. As I already had a good BMI (and was already exercising a lot), I didn’t count the calories but I embraced every other element of the diet. No added sugars, no hidden sugars…. I have been on it since 18 December. I lost a further 7 lbs and got my blood work done last week. Blood work has COME BACK NORMAL. I am no longer pre-diabetic!!! If anyone doubts that this diet works, I would recommend that they try it. It is, however, more than a diet, it is a change in lifestyle. I embrace it. I am absolutely thrilled. I love eating this way and don’t feel I am missing out on anything.

For the future, I will remain on low/no carbs and avoid bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc but just enjoy everything else….

• posted by Theodora
    on

Oh well done, JanJan, you must be over the moon. Doing the happy dance for you. 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Excellent news JanJan!! Really happy for you and glad to read you intend adopting this as the way to eat from here on in. Brilliant!

• posted by Jannylynn
    on

Hi JanJan,
    Your original situation sounds similar to mine – apart from the cholesterol, mine’s ok.

When you say you did the diet but didn’t count calories, did you follow the meal plans in the book? They seem to be more calorific if you input the amounts into fitbit or a calorie counter.

Well done!

• posted by JanJan
    on

Hi Jannylynn

I did not follow the meal plans in the book. I simply ate low carb fruit (berries) for breakfast with full fat yoghurt or eggs and smoked salmon or eggs and grilled tomato. Lunch – a salad and chicken or tuna. Dinner, what I cooked for everyone else without the starch – so no potatoes, bread, rice, corn or pasta. Not very difficult to substitute with more veggies. If I get hungry I have a stash of nuts or carrots and hummus. My meal portions are not small (I am constantly on the go and need the energy).

However, I did take note of some of the meal ideas such as baked beans and mushrooms which is a great “quick and easy” meal if you are in a rush.

Hope that is some help.

• posted by Jannylynn
    on

Hi JanJan,

Thanks for that – finding it too fiddly to keep doing the recipes in the book, and glad to hear a common sense approach also works!

Will adapt a bit, like you.

Again – well done!

JannyLynn

• posted by Nabs
    on

Woohoo! That’s so good to hear.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I regard myself as a fully fledged BSDer but have only knowingly made two recipes from the books, preferring the simpler adaptations of what I already ate. I have both books and will look at doing more recipes now I am maintaining for special meals, but as you say, it can be a bit fiddly to follow some of them as a daily plan. Keep it simple worked for me.

• posted by JanJan
    on

Agreed.

• posted by JanJan
    on

Thanks. Good luck to you too.

Please log in or register to post a reply.