Share your no.1 breakfast go-to…..

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by NLR2407
    on

Hello,

Just starting the BSD this week. I’m fine with options for lunch and dinner, that has been a breeze but I’m really struggling with breakfast.

I don’t eat yoghurt – unless its ‘in’ something im baking because I’m just not a fan of it so that’s one food group out of the window.

I have a busy life, work full time, 4yr old son, long commute, pick up and drop offs at pre school so a grab and go option at least a couple of days a week would be ideal.

I can imagine eggs/frittatas etc are going to become boring so quickly. Can you lovely people share your go-to breakfasts with me? I’m looking for inspiration.

Thank you x

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Unsurprisingly, the majority of my favourites include yogurt and some form of cooked egg, but others include:

Tomato, mushroom and bacon
    Grilled field mushrooms with goats cheese on top
    Chorizo and tinned tomatoes and chilli (I actually had an egg, sorry)
    Pastrami and smoked cheese in lettuce “wrap”
    Smoked salmon and cottage cheese with lettuce and tomato
    Two soft boiled eggs – quick and easy

Some of these require some prep, but not very much.

• posted by NLR2407
    on

Thank you! I’ve made a note of all those, got a list of different foods/meals scribbled down – makes meal planning much easier!

I love chorizo! Keep forgetting you are allowed meats like this. And cheese too. I’ve got to totally readjust my thinking around food… been stuck in the fat-is-bad trap for too long!

X

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

It came as a huge shock to me. I am very lucky that I have a neighbour who keeps ducks and has a regular glut of eggs. Slightly runny scrambled duck egg with a dab of butter is unbelievably fabulous and keeps you full for hours.

• posted by NLR2407
    on

Don’t get me wrong I do love eggs but the thought of eating eggs every single day just seems daunting to me….

I have noticed that eggs keep me incredibly full though. No need to snack at all. I gave up white bread/pasta a long time ago and didn’t really eat a great deal of it anyway so the shift away from pairing those carbs with my meals shouldn’t be too hideous. I am fond of potatoes though – maybe once I get to the 5:2 section I’ll be able to have very small portion of roasted new potatoes.

There is a fabulous hairy bikers recipie for Spanish chicken which uses new potatoes… I’m going to miss it! Waah!

X

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Welcome NLR2407! Breakfast can be really different than what we have been taught to eat for breakfast — I go to the gym most mornings for a boot camp or spin class and my go-to is coffee with 2 Tablespoons heavy cream and a slice of cheese (1 ounce). Keeps me going to lunch, even through hard workout.
    Sounds high fat (and it is!) but it is very satisfying and I eat lots of green veg/meat later in day to get balance.
    I reached goal in June 2016 — have maintained since then. Good luck with finding your own good breakfasts!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Personally, I rely largely on yogurt with various toppings, but I also use the following on occasion:

Scrambled egg and smoked salmon or gravadlax
    Line a bun tin with thin ham, drop in a few tiny subs of cheese. Pour in a whisked egg and bake until set – doesn’t take too long.
    Gem lettuce leafs topped with some cold meat or a thin spread of cream cheese or hummus.
    Pancakes made with almond flour – you can add a spice to make them more interesting.

• posted by Lindarina
    on

My no.1 breakfast is old fashion oats with unsweetned almond milk and blueberries. I need some carbs early in the morning, that’s what keeps me full.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I love vegetarian sausages. I’m in Australia and get the Sanitarium brand. One of those with some grilled mushroomsand a couple of tablespoons of baked beans is really filling.
    I grill the mushrooms in my sandwich press (in baking paper), the beans take 45 seconds in the microwave, and the sausage about a minute in the microwave, so its quick and easy.
    This morning I had a poached egg instead of the sausage.
    Other options could be smoothies? I had one last week with avocado, baby spinach and frozen berries, it was quite filling.

• posted by Angela06
    on

I started with Greek yoghurt and berries but now I have a mug of tea when I get up and a coffee with a glug of cream mid morning and though I’m ready for lunch at 12.30 I’m actually not as hungry as when I was eating. Strange. This gives me more calories for later as round 4pm I really could eat a horse.

• posted by Verano
    on

NLR2407

Have you tried Total (fage) full fat Greek yogurt? I’m not a fan of yogurt either but this one tastes like cream!! I have it with berries and a few walnuts, 10g, most mornings.

• posted by Ragz134
    on

I have two teaspoons of cream in my morning coffee. That’s all the breakfast I need, tend to eat lunch around 1 and dinner by 6.

• posted by TumtumP
    on

Hi
    I don’t eat breakfast anymore as it tends to make me hungrier. I also like to have a few more calories for evening meal.
    Ideas to grab and go – 12/24 almonds has 80/160 calories. An avocado and 2 small slices of smoked salmon feels decadent and keeps me going for ages. Ham or vegetarian ham used as a wrap for cheese and tomato. Cream cheese mixed with mackerel/salmon to make a pate. Use celery to scoop. An apple-rare treat- with peanut butter.

• posted by NLR2407
    on

Thank you so much for the fabulous suggestions everyone.

I’m almost through week one and I’ve given a few of these a try. Yesterday I made my own version of Hueveros Ranchos: 2 poached eggs in a spicy tomato sauce with chorizo. AMAZING.

Almost through week one – had one fail/wobble day, I’m an emotional eater and this week was tough for a couple of days but I got back to it the next day.

Nobody’s perfect are they?

X

• posted by A new me
    on

I have greek yogurt with berries and flax seed most mornings, mostly because it’s quick and I’m always running late. Sometimes I substitute cottage cheese for the yogurt. If I have more time I’ll do eggs, scrambled with smoked salmon, chives or with tomato. I also like portobello mushroom caps, broiled with goat cheese, almonds and sprinkled with chives.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I just love Greek yoghurt with passionfruit, then grilled mushrooms with a poached egg, and chilli scrambled egg with a touch of cheese. Breakfasts have never been so good since starting this plan.

• posted by NLR2407
    on

I’ve just discovered this stuff called cloud bread – egg whites, egg yolks and cream cheese. Substitute for bread if hankering for it…….

Currently cooking in oven at mo – ill let you know how these turn out!

• posted by LizV
    on

I found a really great recipe (easy to make and store as well) in the Glycemic Load Diet cookbook by Rob Thomas and Dana Carpender: Salmon and Asparagus Casserole. It keeps me going a long time and is very satisfying. We also like the Simple Egg Muffins in the BSD companion cookbook. I freeze those and then we can just pop them out and warm them up.

• posted by ShrinkMe81
    on

Yesterday I had a big Portobello mushroom, grilled, spread with pesto and filled with chopped cherry tomatoes, with a slice of gouda on top, melted until bubbling. Mmmmmmmmmm!

• posted by Keirshunt
    on

How did the cloud bread go?? It looks yummy so may give it a go

• posted by NLR2407
    on

Honestly I couldn’t get over the texture of it, found it really difficult to enjoy eating it.

Felt kind of floppy and strange. Tasted OK, browned up lovely but I just couldn’t cope with the texture. Obviously if you were using it to eat something like a burger it soaks up the juice and becomes soggy and floppy. Eek.

I was so disappointed about this because I had hoped this would be like some kind of holy grail bread replacement. Lol.

I’ll keep hunting for something to fill that void!!

• posted by chunkyd
    on

1. Greek yoghurt (Total) with blueberries/raspberries, pine nuts, flax seed and a few crunched up nuts (walnuts, pistachio). I have to admit I started off on this diet using Greek-style yoghurt, which was fine, but really enjoying the ‘proper stuff’ now
    2. Porridge with spiced apple. My 16 year old daughter and I love this, so I usually make two portions knowing that she will use the second portion when she is ready for breakfast. Very occasionally I will have the version with grated apple and cinnamon.
    3. Two eggs scrambled with either mushrooms or smoked salmon.

I haven’t really ventured far from these three, so it might be time to add another breakfast to the rota.

Six week weigh-in on Saturday, still going well.

• posted by Keirshunt
    on

Oh no, I was also hoping they would taste and behave exactly like bread ;). I may give them a go still, when I’ve time (I still must have a bit of hope) xx

• posted by LizV
    on

How’s it going? Did you find anything that works really well?

• posted by NLR2407
    on

Hiya LizV,

Well I’ve got a few things that are working for me – depending on what I have on in the mornings.

My absolute favourite breakfast is Huveros rancheros, which is a weekend breakfast really. Eggs, plum tomatoes, spinach, chorizo, onion, paprika, cayenne and red pepper. This keeps me going till dinner time. Bit of a luxury breakfast.

During the week I have been having the following:

* Rolled up ham/cheese with apple or sometimes with turkey.
    * 2 x chopped boiled eggs in cup with butter, salt and pepper
    * Smoked Mackrel and tomatoes
    * Poached eggs, spinach and bacon

Had porridge once but I ended up feeling hungry about 2 hours afterwards plus it maxes me out on carbs so avoiding for the time being.

I made myself some breakfast muffin’s which are mostly oats, I made a huge batch and stuck them in the freezer. I usually have a very long and boring meeting first thing on a Thursday morning (3+hrs) so I take it with me on a Thursday.

Working up to low carb pancakes – might give this a go at the weekend.

I’ve settled into it now and sticking with it.

I hit a plateau last week which I knew to expect.

How much do people lost most weeks? I’m probably heading for a 2lb loss this week, feel a bit disappointed by this. Heard of people losing swathes of weight in the first 8 weeks!

Xx

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

That sounds like a great recipe for Huevos Rancheros, I will have to try it next Saturday. 2lb a week is about right, maybe 3 on a really good week. I lost 26 pounds over the 8 weeks, but some people have lost more, and there were a couple of weeks I didn’t hit the 2 pounds even.

• posted by cleona
    on

I had the huevos rancheros for dinner – lovely! Normally I am also having a plain full fat greek yoghurt, maybe half an apple with a little nut butter, a couple of eggs if I have time, or if really pushed then just a piece of smoked salmon and a small piece of cheese. But weirdly as time goes on I find I’m less hungry for breakfast – today I didn’t eat my yoghurt until 10:30. I am also in the midst of a weight loss plateau. I lost about 8kg in the first three weeks, and then nothing for the last two. But I know if I stick with it eventually something’ll happen.

Please log in or register to post a reply.