Seedy Flapjack

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ruthie2411
    on

I am loving this new food regime, having lost just over a stone since just before Christmas. However, I have twice tried to make the seedy flapjack but each time it has not ‘stuck together’. All I end up with is a load of seeds, dates, figs etc which I have to eat with a spoon!!!! It tastes absolutely delicious but I would like to be able to eat a small bar instead of a spoonful. I have used the correct ingredients in the receipt – does anyone have any suggestions as to what is going wrong?

• posted by jackie0909
    on

exact same thing happened to me… I was on a support facebook page and a lady i was talking to said she put her’s in the freezer before slicing, I will be trying this next time ….

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi,
    I too found this recipe to be rather crumbly, not binding together so falling apart when you try cutting them. Most recently, I used a muffin tin (silicone one) – squish the mixture in & it seemed to hold its shape.
    I’m not convinced the use of squished fruit is enough to bind things together (although the coconut oil should help with that) – unfortunately, the very things we’ve given up (sugar, golden syrup), along with melted butter, are ideal at binding ingredients together in normal flapjacks! πŸ™‚

• posted by Gabriel Green
    on

Hi
    I am another SEEDY FLAPJACK failure p.76 8-week BSD book (2016).
    It does NOT BIND together and I used the exact recipe and process.
    Really disappointed with the loss of ingredients.
    Yes. The crumbled and entirely unbound mixture was delicious.
    I tried adding more coconut oil and re-cooking but this did not work – it tasted worse afterwards and I had to discard the whole lot.

N.B. Variants:
    I used dried figs not the blueberries. Should one use fresh figs or fresh blueberries?
    I used the raisins (not the goji or dried cranberries).

Can someone help? Get this recipe to work….
    cos if I cannot have a flapjack and a cup of tea here and there – well, anything could happen.

• posted by Ruthie2411
    on

I feel your pain!!! I haven’t made any for a while but I’m going to try freezing before cutting to see if that helps.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’m tempted to have a go at this myself. I think fresh fruit would help it bind better – or perhaps try soaking the dried stuff?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I’ve never attempted it but this recipe sounds like a sugar bomb. I mean, raisins? They’re even worse than grapes and grapes are the worst! I made pancakes from lupin flour last week and they were fluffy and tall and my OH devoured six of them with a topping of homemade pecan butter. 93 calories and half a gram of carbs each.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I had to google lupin flour as I always thought of lupins as nice cottage garden plants with spire-like blooms. Esnecca, do you make a normal pancake batter with eggs and dairy milk? and in same proportions? And how do you make pecan butter? It does sound very tasty!

• posted by Squidge
    on

You’re right, Esnecca – they will be quite high in natural sugars. I’m probably better off without these as it’d be too easy to eat quite a lot and yet still convince me I was eating low carb.

Sometimes I think the unhealthy versions of biscuits and cakes are better as at least we can’t fool ourselves that it’s OK to eat six at once.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Okay so, lupin flour pancakes. I haven’t posted the recipe before because there are a couple of slightly arcane ingredients, but if you want to experiment with low carb baking, they’re very good things to have in the house. As you discovered, 6T, lupin flour ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natura-Sweet-Lupins-flour-300g/dp/B00NC9I05S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa? ) is not made from the pretty, fluffy, colorful flowers but rather from the legume very popular among old Italian men. They are so high in fiber that their carbs net out to practically zero. I eat them whole in salads and have also used them to make low-carb hummus.

It’s important to note that lupini beans are related to peanuts so people with peanut allergies must be very, very cautious in their approach to them and probably avoid them altogether.

The other arcane ingredient is oat fiber ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifesource-Foods-Oat-Fiber-500/dp/B014V10S4Q/ref=sr_1_2? ). THIS IS NOT GROUND OATS, OAT BRAN OR ANYTHING ELSE PORRIDGEY. Oat fiber is the pulverized hull of the groat made entirely of insoluble cellulosic fiber. It is a fine white powder that looks and smells like flour and turns to glop when in contact with water. You can’t use it as a flour substitute, but added to recipes it does help impart a bakery-like flavor and texture.

Lupin Flour Pancakes (makes six pancakes)

2 Eggs
    1/4 cup oat fiber
    1/4 cup lupin flour
    1/4 cup sour cream (Greek yogurt or fromage blanc will also work great)
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 cup oil (you can use whatever you prefer here, including melted butter. I use coconut oil for the MCT ketosis boost and its hint of fruitiness)
    1 tsp vanilla extract or scraped whole vanilla bean
    Splash of fizzy water to thin the batter if it looks thick
    Enough grass-fed butter to coat the pan during cooking

Mix the eggs, sour cream, oil/butter in a large bowl until combined. Add in the oat fiber, lupin flour, sea salt, and baking powder and stir until combined. I like a thickish batter as it gives your pancakes height, but if you want it to sort of pour out into the pan, add some fizzy water to thin it out a little.

With a brush, coat a skillet with a thin layer of butter and put it on medium heat. I used a 1/4 cup measure about 2/3rds of the way full to scoop up the batter and pour it into the pan. I spread it a little with a spatula until it was the thickness and diameter I wanted. Cook until you see the bubbles form on top and the bottom edge begins goes from raw to cooked. That was about 3 minutes for me. It depends on how thick you made your pancake. Flip and cook the other side until the edges look fully cooked.

Keep the finished ones warm in the oven while you make the rest and serve warm topped with berries, a dusting of cinnamon, cream cheese thinned with nut milk so it’s spreadable, chopped nuts (macadamias, pecans, Brazil nuts, almonds) quickly roasted in butter, or a simple dollop of really good butter.

Pecan butter is by far my favorite nut butter. It’s the lowest in carbs, always tastes like dessert and it’s way easy to make. Measure out two ounces of pecans onto a microwave-safe plate. Put it in the microwave and set the timer to 2 minutes. One minute in, open the door and shake the plate to move the nuts around. Finish the last minute of cooking. (Time depends on wattage of your microwave, so keep an eye on them to be sure they don’t burn. You’ll know from the smell when they hit that delicious roasty point. The color should be chocolate brown, slightly darker than they started out, but never black.)

Now you have roasted pecans. To make your own nut butter as a spread, put the pecans in a food processor or spice/nut grinder and pulse until the fats are fully expressed and it’s creamy and glossy. It’ll be ground nuts for a while and you’ll think this thing is never going to happen, then like magic you’ll suddenly see the texture go from cumbles to splashy. I like to add a few drops of vanilla and some cinnamon to the butter, to give it that full-on pie flavor, but it’s in no way necessary. The trick of pecan butter is not to cram it down your face uncontrollably because it is seriously one of the most delicious things in the universe.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Essie, I hope you are still working on the cookbook we talked about last year! I haven’t seen luvtcook
    around for ages, so it’s up to you πŸ™‚ It would be great if we could find all of your recipes in one place
    on the forum. How about “Esnecca Cooks!”

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I’m afraid the most I’ve done is take occasional random notes as I work on dishes. I’ve input some into the recipe calculator on MFP, but not all. I’ve also emailed friends bunches of recipes. In other words, it’s not remotely organized or collated. A thread consolidating all my scattershot recipes would be a great first step. Time to search through my gajillion posts and get started!

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

I used to make something similar to the flapjack pre my body is a spinach worshipping temple days. This recipe is not going to work without a lot more fat and dried fruit. Like Esnecca says it’s a carb and cal bomb.

Esnecca,
    Thanks for the recipe. I’m steering clear of things like this at the moment as I’m worried it will lead me astray.Have you used the lupin beans /seeds themselves or do you use the flour for anything else. I was reading about them in a British newspaper and I think they also sell them in jars in Spain to be eaten as a snack with drinks. Is that how the Italian grandads eat them
    ?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That’s exactly how they eat them, Skipping. A handful with a beverage on a hot day. I eat whole lupin beans regularly. They’re big, so I cut them in half and add them to all kinds of salads. I cut them into quarters and mix them in with tuna for a nice crunch. I have also pureed them with yellow soybeans, garlic, smoked paprika and cumin to make a low-carb hummus.

• posted by alliecat
    on

E., I’m going to consider the prospect of you sharing your genius in the kitchen as my first positive of the day! Despite
    the rainy day, I now have a smile on my face πŸ™‚ Looking forward to your flagship post xxx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

That is definitely one I will be trying. I particularly liked your ref to uncontrollable face cramming (which I recall echoed a comment you had made about your Mum’s Thanksgiving mash – I have been reading the archives and paying attention!) Having said yesterday that I did not miss rice, I had some roast chicken for supper last night with courgette (and a slice of halloumi) and a couple of hours later had a real and surprising urge to cook some rice to eat with the remaining pan juices. It passed and I used a spoon to satisfy inner monster with just chicken/herby juices which was what I obviously really wanted the taste of rather than the rice. I have some microwave rice in the cupboard so it could have been such an easy and unexpected trip up…

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Wow, 6T, maybe you should compile all my recipes! It sounds like you’re halfway there already. πŸ˜† My mother’s mashed potatoes are now but a memory to me, much to her disappointment. It’s for the best. Even if I were willing to break my rules (which I am not), I have to admit that my palate has changed so much that they’re no longer the paradise I remember from my childhood. The last time I ate them (Thanksgiving 2016), I found them under salted. Not that I’d ever tell her that, of course. I am not a monster.

I know just what you mean re the delicious chicken juices. Here’s a tip for you: get your hands on some guar gum or konjac/glucomannan powder. Sprinkle a small amount into the pan and whisk it in immediately with great vigor. In seconds you’ll have a perfect silky gravy with zero carbs. Ladle it all over your chicken and/or veg and the thought of rice won’t even enter the antechamber of your mind. Well done dodging the temptation.

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

I’m was just off to buy pecans when read β€œ cram down you face uncontrollably β€œ. I feel you were looking directly at me. Will make the hummus when we’re in spAin next week and report back. Much more less likely for uncontrollable cramming with that

• posted by Esnecca
    on

For those of you who (wisely) fear the triggering potential of something like pecan or even simple butter and cinnamon toppings, lupin pancakes can very easily work in a savory dish too. Just leave out the vanilla. I made them once topped with cream cheese thinned with lemon juice, capers and smoked salmon for a blintz/bagel lox kind of a vibe. I bet they’d be great with scallions and grated cheddar too.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Anyone know where I can get lupin beans in the UK?

• posted by Gabriel Green
    on

Hi
    Thanks for any replies.
    Unfortunately this has gone right off topic of “Seedy Flapjacks” from the book.
    All I want is to make Seedy Flapjacks.
    I am OK about eating the seedy flapjacks if they stick together.

Please log in or register to post a reply.