Saving the best for last?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

This is just an observation of something I have always done right back to when I was a child – I always saved ‘the best bit’ of anything until last – if it was cake, I’d eat the frosting last, with a main meal, I always make sure that I eat the very best part of it last. Now, ‘deferral of satisfaction’ is supposed to get a good habit – work hard first, play later etc. But for eating I have come to the conclusion that all it does is encourage me to eat more than I need – a lot of advice on these forums suggests eating until satiety but if you reach that point and haven’t got to the ‘best’ bit, what are you going to do? Eat it! So I am going to make an effort to break this habit and eat the best bits first – perhaps then I will find it easy to stop when I’m full. It’s a small tool in our BSD toolbox but perhaps one we don’t even notice.
    SSB

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good thought. SaltySeaBird. Thinking about it, that is something I used to do, although I’m not sure I ever made a conscious effort to stop it, I guess I must have done at some point, because I trend to use a ransom approach to meals now, eating a bit of this, then a bit of that, until I’m full.

Think another other one worth remembering, is you don’t have to eat everything on your plate. You should never feel obliged to clear a plate, regardless of the situation. That’s one I struggled with for quite awhile, but pleased to say it’s history for me now – OH still operates this way though, which sometimes causes his reflux to play up, but he doesn’t seem to be able to break a habit of a lifetime, despite advice.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi SunnyB – yes, the ‘clean plate club’ is definitely one worth leaving. My OH was born when there was still rationing and he is very adamant that he shouldn’t ‘waste’ food by leaving any. I don’t do that anymore but when that is combined with the ‘best ’til last’ it is so easy to over-eat.
    SSB

Please log in or register to post a reply.