Sandor's Girl's BSD Eight Week Diary

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sandors girl
    on

Hi I’m new. I have started this thread as a log for myself but feel free to add comments or advice. Good luck to the newbies and well done to those having successes.

I started the bsd yesterday. I am not diabetic but am in the “obese” category and carry a lot of weight around my middle. For some time I have felt very uncomfortable in myself, and the clothes that I am wearing. I want to feel good again. Had a few days of eating “cleanly” last week and the psychological difference was amazing.

Starting weight 15 stone/95 kilos. Eventual goal weight is 10 stone/65 kilos. Using the bsd to kick start some weight loss and start to form much better habits and choices after the eight weeks.

The first day yesterday was easy. I thought I would be climbing the walls with hunger but I wasn’t. What I ate satisfied me, and I had no cravings. I think subconsciously I was waiting for them and so was pleasantly surprised when I did not have any.

I did jump on the scales this morning and had lost 3lbs, so am thrilled this morning.

While doing the bsd I am cooking/making everything myself and have also decided to not add salt to anything. Also alternating my tea with cups of decaf with a view to switching to decaf permanently. I have suffered with migraines for many years and I am interested to see if these changes have any effects on the migraine cycle.

• posted by topcac
    on

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you are already feeling the benefits of low carb living even on day two! Have a read of some of the other threads here and they should give you all the encouragement and advice you should need. After day two you MAY (and I can’t emphasise that enough) feel a little rough as your body adapts to the vast decrease in carbs – also known as carb flu – you may feel shaky, lightheaded, weak, you may get a headache – all this is quite normal. If you do feel like that try to rest, drink loads of water and (I know this sounds counter-intuitive) add some salt to your meals. Your body will be flushing a lot of toxins outs, along with fat and salts so you will need to replace them.

Everyone on the boards is helpful and supportive so if you have any questions, just put it up here and someone will help. I’m only on Day 12 so I’m no expert but I can also still remember what starting out was like (seems forever ago).

Best of luck and keep posting
    TC 😀

• posted by Sandors girl
    on

Thanks Topcac, and Hello! I have been lurking on the boards for a few weeks and remember reading about adding a little salt in if things were grim. I will definitely do that. I am probably very naive but I am hoping to avoid carb flu – I have never eaten a huge amount of them, my issue is refind sugar; cakes, biscuits, sponge puddings etc. Fortunately we have a quiet weekend planned so if I do feel rough I can take it easy.

Off to cook lunch now, bacon medallion, scrambled eggs and tomato.

• posted by topcac
    on

HI back -sorry to burst your bubble but refined sugars are also carbs…….
    Enjoy lunch – sounds yummy!

• posted by Sandors girl
    on

Ach I knew I was going to get caught out! Carb flu here I come!

• posted by Gibbette
    on

Hi Sandors girl. I am currently into day 5 and was interested to know if you have had any issues with migraines so far? My first and last 2 migraines were 2 years ago and yesterday I got an almighty one. Coincidentally two years ago was also my first attempt at low carb so I’m wondering if there is a correlation. Hope you are not feeling too bad, I hear there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• posted by Sandors girl
    on

Hi Gibbette

I am currently on day 3 of the bsd and have been migrainey on and off since day 1 – however there is a “regularly occurring” reason for that. I think I’ll be able to judge it better in about 6 weeks or so. I also tend to get a migraine at ovulation so I am interested to see if the bsd affects the migraines in any way. I am suspecting not – I have had migraines for many years. The only thing that helped me was anti epileptic medication however this caused weight gain. I am making sure I drink 2.5-3 litres a day as dehydration can bring one on.

I don’t feel too bad at the moment though. Hope yours has gone.

• posted by Sandors girl
    on

I think I have carb flu – POO! I am not hungry but I could raid the cupboards tonight and eat everything naughty in sight. No aches, or headache. Felt a bit lethargic today but not like I was expecting. Will have an early night with a new book which I am really looking forward to reading. I will not cave I will not cave!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Yes, it sounds like the carb monster wants feeding alright. Stay strong and enjoy your early night, maybe try a warm bath or a bit of other pampering to distract yourself as well.

• posted by Sandors girl
    on

Had the most delicous dinner tonight; Jamie Oliver’s green chilli (America book) on a bed of baby spinach with smashed avocado.

I avoided the treat table at work today, with considerable ease. (Two weeks ago I would have dived in and indulged massively). I caved slightly last night and ate half a small snickers, but I was still under 1000 calories. I didn’t beat myself up about it, I could have caved “spectacularly”.

I was down 4kg this morning, so pleased with that.

• posted by peekabooboop
    on

I’m going to be starting Oct 1 and I read about this diet in the latest Woman’s world. I was wondering can you have oatmeal on this diet. I don’t see any recipes for this. I also like to use flaxseed meal which I know has a lot of good fat and fiber to put in my yogurt. It looks like you use all whole fat ingredients. Definitely different from any other approach. I weigh 240 lbs and would like to lose between 20 and 30 pounds in the 8 weeks. I really need to loose weight. My mother even told me that when I saw her at my brother’s funeral last week because she worries about me. I am really hoping this might work.

• posted by Avila
    on

Welcome Peekabooboop,

The book explains in detail the logic and science behind it all, oatmeal – well limited osts is ok but not the ones that have been ground down, if that is what you mean by oatmeal, as less work for the gut and so like a refined carb.

Yes full fat versions all the way – fat is not the enemy, sugar is and the low fat versions have higher sugars and sweeteners that get in the way of controlling sugar intake. Full fat versions and proteins make you feel full, and as limiting calories for the 8 weeks you won’t be having masses, but it works. Egg and bacon for breakfast instead of sugary carb cereal – and it is better for you, amazing but true.

It is doable – I am down just under 2 st (28 lb) at the end of my 8 weeks and that was with a wobble couple of weeks in the middle. I was almost 16st to start and now 14st, I have a dog that gives me exercise each day and I am 5ft 10 . Everyone’s journey and numbers will be different but it is worth doing,

Please log in or register to post a reply.