Round a second time – best way in?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by YBR
    on

I was quite successful the first time I did the diet, but habits have slipped.
    Background: Diabetes diagnosis 2021, I was not overweight on the charts but all healthcare was directed towards “eating healthily” on the one-size-fits-all assumption of eating too much/the wrong thing. My Diabetes nurse doesn’t really know what else to do. I used BSD to lose 2 stone, effect on blood sugars did not last and I’m on medication.
    Current: I’ve put on about half a stone since then and struggling with myself over bad food habits, perhaps because live is MUCH busier. I want to lose that again (and hopefully a bit more back to my weight when younger) because if I do nothing I’ll put back on all I lost before.

My current idea is a gradual move of food swaps and other changes, be really strict over Lent, and see how that goes.
    So I’d love to hear what others found easiest/worked best in terms of changing habits and food swaps?
    And also how you tackle the social niceties, like when people won’t accept “no” when they offer biscuits/cake/etc.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi YBR, welcome to the site.

You have done well in the past with weight loss but realise with your diabetes results that being lighter is not the answer. When I was diagnosed with diabetes 18 years ago I weighed in at just 9 stone and was a bit of a gym bunny and I have my own swimming pool so no lack of exercise. I know exactly how you feel. I spent a lot of time reading about magic pills from a fruit where no one has ever had diabetes so it must be cure – lie. So many such stories so when I found this diet I was sceptical to say the least.

I don’t know what didnt work for you last time but you did lose weight, in terms of the diabetes the most important thing is to lose the carbs. Your health depends on this. It is not easy so taking it one step at a time might work, ie cut out bread and breakfast cereals for breakfast, replace with eggs, yoghurt, seeds and nuts. I cannot talk you through a whole day but you can look at what carbs you are eating – bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, breakfast cereals etc and get rid of them (eventually). Don’t worry about the 800 calories if it is too hard, just by cutting the carbs you will be reducing cals.

Something I have done recently and would highly recommend is to register with InsulinIQ and follow their 90 day get rid of insulin resistance. You might not know about insulin resistance (I didn’t understand it until a few weeks ago) but if you are diabetic you do have this problem. You will learn loads. And don’t stop logging onto this site and keep asking questions.

Join in on one of the monthly threads where we are mix of different levels, even following different plans like 5:2, BSD, fasting etc.

Good luck.

• posted by Verano
    on

YBR I can only agree and reinforce everything that sunshine-girl has said..

Yes ‘weight’ is important but CARBS are the real secret to controlling blood sugar. Yes you can lose weight but if you still eat bread rice, pasta and potatoes it doesn’t really matter how low your weight is. These four elements will still keep your blood sugars high!

Just keep reading. Wishing you the best of luck but ….. carbs are the secret … low carb equals low sugar.

My T2 has now been in reverse, drug free, for 6 years, just by eating low carb.

• posted by YBR
    on

So my breakfast is usually cheap fruit yoghurt (not low fat) with seeds and nuts, plus a cup of tea – breakfast cereal or toast about once a week.
    “Lunch” is usually salad with cheese or ham (in quotes as it might be in the evening), Soup sometimes if cold.
    Dinner I’ve not got to swapping yet, but I try to keep the proportions of bulk Carb down. Problem is that we already have a vegetarian and a “fussitarian” (possibly owing to ASD) in the house and making 4 different hot meals is not ideal. That’s why we have a cold tea when we’ve all managed a hot lunch at school/work.
    Big issue is snacking. I’ve little self control when there’s sweet stuff in the house …

I’ve read somewhere that Insulin resistance can be caused by reducing oestrogen in Menopause, wondering whether that might explain my diabetes in a “thin” person, but my diabetes Nurse can’t comment. Anyone know more/can signpost for me?

• posted by Verano
    on

There is only one person who can control ‘snacking’ and that’s you! Sorry to be so blunt but that’s the fact of the matter.

Insulin IQ is based on three simple principles: Control Carbs, Priorortise Protein and Fill up with Fat. Not just any old fat but good fats like avocado, olive oil rather than meat fat.

At random I looked at activia strawberry yogurt and Total Greek, lots of other makes are available: per 100g
    Activia (not low fat) Total 5% fat
    90 cals. ..……………….. 93
    2.8g fat. ..………..… 5g
    12g carbs. …………… 3g
    3.9g protein. …..………. 9g

So it’s obvious that the Greek yogurt will keep you fuller longer, more protein and more fat but a lot less carbs. There are lots of own brand Greek yogurts which are cheap and will be just as good. Just check your own yogurt for fat, carbs and protein.

Maybe, particularly in the winter, you could try and make a hot meal at night. It might just be more satisfying and stop you snacking later in the evening.

I think many of us have had challenges with different/fussy eaters in the house you just have to try to find simple swaps such as adding meat/fish/cheese to the vegetarian meal for the non vegetarians. Fussy eaters are maybe a different story!

Sorry I can’t be more helpful. You know low carb works but it’s not a quick fix to start and finish, it’s a way of life if you want to keep your T2 in control without medication.

on

From what you have said you eat it doesn’t seem like you are on a diet but just picking and choosing. To get rid of diabetes is not easy and cannot be achieved by half measures. I am not sure you realise the consequences of diabetes and suggest you read Dr Jason Fung The Diabetes Code which is a real eye opener. I don’t want to scare you or put you off trying to do something about it. In fact, it is said with love and caring for you.

As Verano says, make a vegetarian meal then add the animal protein for yourself – although there is nothing wrong with a veggie diet unless it includes load of carbs. Snack foods should be either banned for the house or put out of your sight or reach.

The fact you are thin has no bearing on the diabetes. Most of the damage causing diabetes and other metabolic illnesses is visceral fat which gathers around the organs. When you go low carb this is the first fat to be reduced. The flabby white fat we can see on the outside does very little harm.

Are you clear on what carbs are as the yoghurt you are eating is full of carbs and chemicals. You are having the seeds and these would go just as well on a full fat Greek (or plain) yoghurt – you need the fat for fullness. This is another example of you being addicted to the sweet taste, this will go away once you do the diet properly.

Take a look at thedietdoctor.com and see the list of low and high carb foods. You might be surprised.

Just keep going and you will get used to it even if it seems overwhelming at first. This is your health and life you are talking about.

on

YBR I hope you are still here and I didn’t put you off. We are all here to help each other so join us on one of the monthly threads and ask any questions you like.

• posted by YBR
    on

OK, some responses. Sorry that it’s slow but I’m trying to limit internet use (for leisure anyway) partly time, partly as an example to my device-addicted daughters! I’m working as a senior Engineering Designer, studying, parenting and it’s hard to give my health much priority. Such is life!

> From what you have said you eat it doesn’t seem like you are on a diet but just picking and choosing.
    No, I’m not “On a Diet” as in temporary, weight-loss or fad, What most people mean by a diet. I’m struggling to find a way of eating that is practical and fits the budget. Note that Activia and other branded yoghurts are not exactly money-saving, and round hear there are on Greek yoghurts available (at least where I shop) that are not “Low Fat” which seems to equate to replacing them with carbs. For a while I was buying what Greek Yog there was and adding blueberries with seeds and nuts as per one of MMosley’s books I borrowed, but better to have a fruit yog in the first place.

>Maybe, particularly in the winter, you could try and make a hot meal at night. It might just be more satisfying and stop you snacking later in the evening.
    I know you’ve assumed this is an easy change, but I actually snack before teatime. It’s part of trimming the budget that the kids get their hot meals at school and we all have sandwiches/wraps in the evening – I have my ham/cheese salad with out the bread. I’d probably snack less if others didn’t buy stuff – my OH is always buying stuff and immediately opening packets. Oddly it’s easier to resist snacks when I’m out and about and people offer, than if it’s just there.

> Not just any old fat but good fats like avocado, olive oil
    Got any money-saving alternatives to those?

• posted by Verano
    on

I’m not sure you understand low carb eating. Replacing Greek yogurt and berries with a fruit yogurt just doesn’t work from either a carb point of view or a ‘fat’ satiety point of view.

I only used Activia and Fage as ‘examples” because it was an easy way to show the difference in the carbs. Most supermarkets, including all the discount supermarkets, have own brand Greek yogurt much cheaper.

We all follow a “way of life” eating pattern rather than a ‘diet’ per se to be started and finished, because we realise that’s the only way control type 2 diabetes. We have tried to help with our experience but at the end of the day the choice. Of course, yours

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi YBR, jumping in here because although I’m not diabetic, I do have reactive hypoglycemia where my blood sugar can go quite low between meals if I eat the wrong things or time my exercise badly. It was driving me to snack and I used to berate myself for poor self-control, but it was actually my body driving me to eat in order to get my blood sugar back into normal range. So I was constantly on a roller coaster and didn’t even really know it until I wore a continuous glucose monitor and could see it happening before my eyes.
    Anyway, a few things have been a game-changer for me. The first is eating as low carb as I can. I am mainly vegetarian, and it can be challenging, but I’m finding that a high fibre, low carb mediterranean diet is working well for me. It is low cost too because it uses a lot of pulses (lentils, chickpeas, etc.) instead of the meat. The second was timing my exercise to ensure that I’m not going for a walk or doing anything too strenuous immediately after eating. For instance, I was eating lunch and then going for a walk with work colleagues after, but it turns out it was dropping me into the scarily low blood sugar range by 3pm, so I changed it up and went for my walk first and then ate lunch and that kept me nice and stable. The third thing has been to add in time-restricted eating (TRE) and intermittent fasting. If you are on medications for your diabetes, you need to speak with your doctor before starting that last one, but it has been huge for reducing appetite, getting my blood sugar under control, and reducing my insulin resistance so I could start to lose weight. It is also the most cost-effective intervention as you’re not eating anywhere near as much as you normally would. But as I say, you need to check with your doctor first.
    As far as swaps go, if you can only find low fat greek yogurt then I would use that and add back the fat with the nuts and seeds. It can be quite expensive to buy in the shops though, so an alternative is to buy full-fat plain, regular yogurt and strain it yourself through some cheesecloth. I’ve done that before to save money and I’ve also made my own too, but it takes a bit of practice to get it right, so if you’re short on time that may not be an option for you. I use frozen berries to save money as well as the fresh are prohibitively expensive for me in winter. Unfortunately, most breakfast cereals and supermarket bread are ultra-processed and can even be quite addictive. They are not designed for your good health (in spite of what they may say on the packet), but have been formulated to make you eat more of them so you buy more and drive up profit for the company shareholders.
    Also, check out the doctor’s kitchen with Dr. Rupy Aujla as he has loads of healthy and cheap recipes on his website. He did an episode of the Zoe podcast too where he was talking about how to make a single base when you have time to cook that can then be taken in different directions to make lots of different variations throughout the week.
    Best of luck getting your health back!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi YBR,
    also jumping in to offer some suggestions which may or may not be useful.

You mention a gradual move – my experience is that this doesn’t work for me, and for hubby trying to reverse a pre-diabetes diagnosis, going in hard and fast of 800 cals and under 50g carbs for 8 weeks was the shock treatment he needed. He has since maintained a “normal” HbA1c (34 at last test) for more than 3 years now, by keeping carbs low. He has never been on meds for diabetes. Yes, he has regained a small amount of the weight he lost, but it is what he is eating and when that affects his blood sugars. I think you have realised that T2 diabetes is not only a fat person’s issue.

You also mention money saving options – as arcticfox has mentioned, intermittent fasting or eating in only an 8 hour window will help in that you will naturally be eating less. Also, Aldi and Lidl both do Greek-style full fat yoghurts, and other plain, natural yoghurts available may have slightly higher carbs but are still significantly less than flavoured yoghurts. You also don’t have to add berries to yoghurt, you can eat it plain, or add milled linseed (again, Aldi), a teaspoon of peanut butter (Aldi do a peanut butter with no palm oil), some pumpkin seeds or other seed mix (Aldi again, there is a theme here).

As much as I love ham or cheese salad, for me it is not an evening meal, especially if you are also having that for lunch. Calorie for calorie, a homemade vegetable soup, either with some tinned chickpeas or lentils, or the addition of some meat-based protein (or even a boiled egg on the side) always leaves me more satisfied than a salad of the same calorific value. I often batch-make a large pot of soup on a Sunday evening – this week’s was 2 small onions, 2 small carrots, a few sticks of celery, some chopped garlic, 2 tins of tomatoes (less than 40p per can in Aldi) and a few handfuls of dried lentils and some bacon bits for flavour. I know that the tinned tomatoes and carrots contain carbs, but over the ~8 portions of soup it will not be massive. MyFitnessPal or similar apps can calculate the actual values for you.

I tend to snack if/when bored, and late afternoon or early evening before hubby gets home and we eat supper can be really hard, and the only thing that works for me is distraction, like putting on some laundry or doing a small task that needs doing. Willpower alone does not work 🙂 for me……….

Olive oil has increased in price massively, I agree, but a little goes a long way cost-wise. Avocado – cannot stand it myself, so I don’t bother.

Snacks and having carbage in the house – maybe reframe these packets of whatever as empty calories, not contributing to your overall health, and actively detracting from it, at the same time as consuming your grocery budget and making it harder to buy the life-sustaining food you want to eat for your health.

Stay with us here and hope you manage to find your way.

Please log in or register to post a reply.