Resistant Starch

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Frog
    on

It depends which diet you choose to follow really, BSD or whatever the Daily Mail is currently promoting.
    If you plan to follow BSD, then piles of carbohydrate, hot or cold, is not part of the plan.

If you don’t have the book, there’s a link above to purchase it.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I agree with Frog. The BSD rules say no refined carbs and if you want to follow the BSD you should stick to that.

No problem if you prefer to try something else, but people here have had their success from the BSD rather than variations.

Hope that helps.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Agree with Frog and Igorasusual, the BSD plan is quite clear on refined carbs and on here it is this plan that we are following and seeing great results from, so the Daily Mail info is not helpful to us.
    Of course, everyone is free to make their own decision and follow any eating plan they feel will work for them, but for me personally, this would be a move in the wrong direction. I’m BSD all the way!

• posted by neohdiver
    on

The BSD rules don’t entirely exclude refined carbs.

“I’m not saying all carbs are bad. Along with fats and proteins, carbs play an important role in our diet. The problem occurs when you eat too much of the wrong sort. . . . That doesn’t mean that rice and potatoes are evil, but don’t pile your plate with them. Think of them more as a side dish than a staple, and try to find alternatives.” )[lines 898-919 in the Kindle version.]

The two primary descriptios of the carb categories are “easily digestible carbs” and “Complex, unrefined carbs.” My understanding of resistant starch is that the process of cooling (preferably multiple times) converts the starch from easigly digestible into significantly less easily digestible – which would move it toward (if not in) the second category of carbs.

All that is to say that, as I read the book, including potatoes or pasta as a side dish (evenwithout making it resistant) is consistent with the BSD.

I certainly wouldn’t make a staple out of it, or have it at every meal, but on occasion I have been able to consume as much as 30 grams of carbohydrates from a potato salad, made by repeatedly heating and cooling with approximately the impact that 20 net grams of carbohydrates would otherwise have had – a pretty significant change in ease of digestion.

From a blood glucose management perspective, test your BG before you eat, at 1 hour, at 2 hours and, if 2 is higher than 1, at 3 hours. My personal threshhold is to keep my BG within the normal range at all times. Aside from experimenting, if something pushes my BG (even for a transient spike) above 7.77, I don’t eat it. The 30 grams carbohydrates in my resistant starch potato salad (a generous side dish serving) topped my BG out at 6.89)

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Gosh, that’s interesting neohdiver.

All of this is very complex and us additionally complicated by the different hormonal responses of different individuals

Whilst I would not rule out the occasional slice of bread or potato in maintenance (I can take or leave the rice, personally,band I am fortunate in not craning cake), I wonder whether it is better to recommend totally non refined carb on the BSD itself, rather than try and explain the heating/cooling process you have evidently been researching and carrying out?

It does depend, I understand, on how much you want potatoes etc. As I said, everyone is different!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Not craving cake I should have said

• posted by neohdiver
    on

I don’t actually WANT potatoes – but we belong to a CSA, so potatoes have been part of the share. I was experimenting to see if there was any way I could eat some of them slowly so I didn’t have to give them away. (We still have 2 of the 3 potato distributions.) What I really miss is bread. I’ve had a grand total of about 3 slices since October 2.

I’m all for sharing what works. For many people that includes hitting specific macro ratios, a complete ban on easily digestible carbs, intermittent fasting, etc. i just try to be very clear about what is actually required and what are additional restrictions I’ve imposed on myself (fairly strict net carb limit & intermittent fasting).

The process of heating and cooling isn’t terribly difficult. The first research I ran across just said to cook them normally, then allow them to cool before eating them. The additional research indicated that repeated cycles of heating and cooling had an even bigger impact – and allowed for consumption of the warm starch (a question in the original research). The salad I made was a rosemary-roasted potato salad – oven roasted potatoes coated with olive oil, rosemary, and thyme, tossed in balsalmic vinegar. It’s intended to be served warm, so I cooled it off completely to room temperature, refrigerated it, then reheated it the next day to serving temperature.

Please log in or register to post a reply.