Recommendation for Really Good Recipe Book

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Having worked my way through just about all the recipes in the BSD book I am looking to buy another recipe book. BUT….. since buying this book Amazon have been sending me recommendations for low carb cook books. I was skeptical when I saw top of the list Anthony W-T Healthy Eating for Diabetics. I have that book bought by a friend about 5 years ago and I immediately discarded it. One, the recipes are great is you are a lottery winner (scallops, artichokes etc) and, two, it is full of fish and seafood recipes. However, now knowing about this diet I looked at the book again and found in the foreword the rule about eating 5 carbs a day and the rule that low carb equals high fat Atkins style diets and not to be recommended. This led me to think that some of the other recommendations might not be too good either.

That apart, I have been recommended by the ‘A’ site to buy lots of books calling themselves Blood Sugar Diet recipes. One in particular by Dr Cavan who also has a BSD book out. What about the 8 week BSD recipe Book by Claire Bailey, is it genuine.

I want some real recommendation from people doing this diet. Although there are some great recipes on the Yummly site.

on

Just noticed the 8 Week BSD Recipe Book is by the same 2 people from MM’s book and this one is not out until 1st September 2016.

• posted by weescotty
    on

I doubt if I’ll ever buy another recipe book, or even magazine. I find I use such a small percentage of them it is not a cost effective thing to do. Now we have this website and access to others on t’internet I bookmark to try then print out ones I enjoy and keep in a ring file on top of my fridge. Not easy to find the nutritional values of some but expect to learn in time what will fit the bill. I have borrowed a couple from the library which also keeps the cost down. You did well to get through the recipes in the 8 week BSD book as lots of us found them hard going with ingredients we could not source or afford and some have discovered the calorific and carb values to be not too accurate. I have ignored that part of the book. I still use some recipes from Dr Moseley’s 5:2 book, which I bought when it was published, which are low calorie and ( in my view ) are less of a challenge to make. btw I switch off Amazon’s suggestions for anything as they drive me nuts 😉

• posted by Avila
    on

The Claire Bailey book cites a foreword by MM – and the font style matches the 5:2 recipe book linked to MM.

I have looked at the 5;:2 recipes and MM BSD book – but more to give a sense of framework of styles and ideas, then assembled my own meals with ingredients in my range (liking, price, access). But then even back at uni I was a recipe girl – my one pot wonders (some never to be repeated!) came from what I had and a theory that if edible things are put together the end result should also theoretically be edible! Most of the time it was, not gourmet but edible. Tinned toms were a regular base, plus whatever veg and whatever protein available – except when the protein was baked beans in which case tinned toms saved for another day…

As for BSD – it is learning to change the input – I have been having more fish and yesterday was my first land based meat in over a week (I am only week 2). Not that I need to find totally new to me recipes and stick to them. But as I say, that is my natural style – to wing things and see how it goes.

• posted by orchid
    on

The Anthony W-T one I had was low GI but not taking into account GL that I got pre 2006! I have did look at it when I started this and threw it out as us not useful.
    I have tried a few new books, mainly looking to the maintenance phase. https://robin-ellis.net/ Robin Ellis has been managing his diabetes for a number of years through a Mediterranean diet and has a book out. The link is to his blog which has a few good recipes on it without buying the book -you need to dig through the general blog to get to the recipes. The Asparagus Frittata is excellent when there is an asparagus glut, but is adaptable to a general frittata recipe for other veg when in season. It has become a staple.
    The other book I have bought is from Helmsley and Helmsley. They follow a lot of the same principles, again best for maintenance, but a lot of new ideas that I am starting to explore. Try to look at the book in a bookstore prior to buying it online as it may now be to your taste! They also have a website with recipes which give you an idea of what it is about and you can try them – they were the first people I saw with a spiralizer which is why I went for it. As it turns out the one I got has very few recipes with the spiralizer, but there are a lot of interesting different foods and grains that they use that interest me. All recipes are gluten, grain and refined sugar free. The link here is to the spiralizer recipes http://www.hemsleyandhemsley.com/recipes/spiralizer/ From the reviews on Amazon, their earlier book may well be better for this food plan. There were a number of criticisms from people who had the earlier book that the new one had a lot of duplicates from the earlier one, but those who only had the most recent were happy with it. I’ve been through it and tagged at least 10 recipes for immediate trials, there are others I will definitely try one fully in maintenance.
    Have fun!

on

I know there are lots of recipes on-line but I like to sit in front of the TV and flick through a book and plan my meals. With the net you tend to have to have an idea and then look for something that suits. I like to be inspired. I might pre-order the BSD book and look forward to reading it in September.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

I bought 3 or 4 vegetarian low carb books a few years ago, leafed through them and made a total of 0 of their recipes\1

Please log in or register to post a reply.