Recommend a cook book?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Glam Girl
    on

Hello!

Just finished reading the blood sugar diet book and can’t wait to get started!

I’m a little concerned about how to feed the whole family as my 10 and 7 year old won’t be fooled by courgetti and cauliflower rice!

Just wondered how others go about cooking for the whole family and if there are any cook books with more recipes that anyone might recommend?

Thanks in advance 🙂

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Glam Girl, I am at the end of 5 weeks and looking at how I do the 5:2. I have the original 5:2 books, but they concentrate on the ‘fast days’, not the ‘non-fast’ days. I am vegetarian and my only complaint about the blood sugar book is that there are very few vegetarian recipes.
    I have been searching the internet for a book on ‘Mediterranean Diets’ and not been too successful, however found this one at the weekend and having now purchased it can easily see me sticking to this way of life going forward – ‘Mediterranean Cooking for Diabetics’ for those who wish to control or avoid diabetes. It has a lot of veggie recipes, but also meat and fish. It is written by Robin Ellis (anyone who remembers the first Poldark series on BBC in the 70’s may recognise him as Poldark). He developed type 2 diabetes 15 years ago and changed his diet to control it. He cooks for himself and his wide who is not diabetic so has to keep them both happy with flavours. http://robin-ellis.net/. He has a couple of other books as well on the same topic.
    Good luck.

• posted by Glam Girl
    on

Thank you for your reply, spookily I have that book in my Amazon basket but couldn’t find many reviews so was holding off buying it, I think I’ll go for it now!

Have you done the blood sugar diet for 5 weeks and now moving on to the 5:2? How are you getting on? I did the 5:2 a while ago but stopped as was always hungry. I think following this plan as 5:2 makes more sense.

Thanks again!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi, if you have a look at his web-site you can see the type of recipes that he has in the book and that may help you. I’ll reply to the rest later, off out for now!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi, I reached my first goal today and that was to get my BMI down to below 30. I am doing this for weight-loss to avoid issues, but having taken my blood sugar at the beginning was surprised that it was heading very close to being prediabetic. I have lost 9kg and fasting blood sugar is now 5.0 mmol/l.
    I always intended to take the decision whether or not to move onto the 5:2 when I reached the BMI target. Given I have not found it hard to stick to, I have decided to keep going for the next 3 weeks – then move to the 5:2.
    I also tried the 5:2 last year and found my work life was too unpredictable to manage. I was also staying in hotels for variable amounts of time so getting a regular 2 days a week was not possible. The days I did manage it I was eating breakfast, but an apple or two at midday then meal at night. I also kept going on drinking black coffee to try to not think of food. This time it is 800 calories for the two fast days, the extra 300 calories make a big difference.
    For this diet you do need a period where you have control – I would hate to try it if I was not cooking my own food. No hidden sugars or carbs, I know what I cooked. You also need to be prepared to weight and record everything and really plan ahead. An App in the phone or PC really help to keep track. Some are managing without, but I find I am always surprised with just how small a tablespoon really is – especially oil!
    good luck.

Please log in or register to post a reply.