Recipes in the Book

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Chocolate_ee
    on

Day one for me and I started with the Blueberry and Green Tea shake which I have to say was delicious although I managed to inhale a flax seed ( note to self , don’t talk whilst drinking this in future ! ) and nearly died choking – would have been a touch ironic !!

Anyway, I’m trying not to get too hung about weighing , measuring and calorie counting etc but at the same time I realise that its important to keep accurate records and not kid myself that a ‘dollop’ might not necessarily equate strictly to one tablespoon.

Has anyone worked out the carb values of the recipes in Michael’s Book ? I can see that the shake I had this morning for example should equal 100 calories but no mention of carbs. I’ve been on carbcounter.net to try and work out what a tablespoon of raw almonds might be but they give grams or cups so I guess I’m going to have to work out equivalent measures to my ‘tablespoon’ . I suppose over time, I’ll get more skilled at this but at the moment I feel a bit overwhelmed by scales, calculators, measuring devices and the like.

I realise this will bet easier over time, just wondered if anyone had already done the maths or can they recommend a good British site that recognises UK brands that we’d buy in a supermarket .

Made my first mistake ( of many no doubt ) in buying organic full fat greek style yoghurt ( Yeo Valley ) but realised it has honey in it . Maybe that’s why it tasted so good !

• posted by HappyLass
    on

Hi Chocolate_ee
    Loved your post..glad you survived your breakfast!! I don’t know if it’s any help but I have Rose Elliot’s Low Carb Vegetarian Diet book which has a pretty comprehensive list at the back of permissible foods and their carb and protein contents. The measures are in grams or ounces and are pretty easy to work out. I have 18 almonds every day ( don’t ask!!) and they are 2grms of carbs. There’s a lot of useful info on low carbing which goes along very handily beside the fantastic BSD book.
    Good luck with this brilliant eating plan..you’ll soon be enjoying the huge benefits that it brings

• posted by Chocolate_ee
    on

Thank you Happy Lass , I like the idea of a good solid book . I think I’m all ‘ googled ‘ out trying to search for good sites . Yesterday I realised that if I got off my backside and walked to a bookshop ,I’d probably be better off than sitting staring at a screen searching for the info I need !
    Went to bed hungry last night but woke up felling positively lighter – ever the optimist !

• posted by Tofa
    on

Hi all, thanks I will get Rose Elliot as apart from fish I am vegetarian. I posted the same question in Fast 800 (Carbs in recipes?) hoping that some of the more experienced people out there would know how many carbs in the recipes by heart…no responses yet but perhaps I can follow your thread and see what happens. My reason for asking is that I am thinking of moving over to diet as a way of life, not too worried about calories which I can guesstimate quite accurately through experience, but it would be great to have some easier way of calculating 50gms of carbs to which I need to stick – also one could mix and match the meals more without more calculations. I would much rather look up carb values in book!! (perhaps showing my age) I am having a go at “myfitness pal” which others use with great success and recommend. Would love to scribble carb values all over my recipes…..perhaps a good displacement activity though at present no time for such things. Having v little relaxation time is one of my struggles.! Good luck Tofa

Please log in or register to post a reply.