Ratio of fat/protein/carb?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Katrina
    on

Started 3 days ago and doing well – 3 lbs so far. But I’m struggling to understand ratios – ie what the percentage of fat, protein and carb (obvs very little carb) should ideally be. Can’t seem to find it in the book. Any help appreciated.

• posted by Zendo
    on

I also started 3 days ago and I too am doing well. I can’t help with your question because I am seeking the percentage of carbohydrates in the 8 week plan as well. I would also appreciate some information.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Katrina and Zendo,
    Yours is a question people often ask here. Have a look for a thread called ‘how many carbs’. The info isn’t in the book as Dr Mosley is not that prescriptive about it. Proteins can be around 80g and fats as much as you can get into your allowance. Fat really does make a difference.

• posted by Katrina
    on

Thanks Janet
    Yes – I’ve spotted more discussions about this now, but no definitive answers. Like many others, I’m using MyFitnessPal and wanted to enter the goal percentages of fat, protein & carbs. As Dr Mosley recommends using an app like this, it would be hugely helpful to have a steer as to ideal percentages, even if it doesn’t need to be strictly adhered to. Actually, the one I’d like to know most is maximum recommended carbs per day, if anyone knows…

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I’ve cut and pasted this from the ‘how many carbs’ thread:

100-150 grams per day: This is a decent maintenance range, and is good for people who exercise a lot.
    50-100 grams per day: This should lead to automatic weight loss, and is a good maintenance range for people who don’t exercise that much.
    20-50 grams per day: With a carb intake this low, you should lose weight quickly without experiencing much hunger. This carb range should put you into ketosis.

• posted by Katrina
    on

Ah – brilliant, thank you! 🙂

• posted by Janet1973
    on

No worries. Just on the last point there about being in ketosis. I am having 50 ish grams a day and I test positive for ketosis. All the best, let us know how you get on.

• posted by Katrina
    on

Great – yes, I will, thanks. Another pound today so it’s a steady lb every day so far…

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Excellent! Well done!

• posted by SOS
    on

I’very been struggling working this out as I’m worried about having too much protein as this can muck things up. However today i found a UK site that gives the percentages of all foods searched. It’s called http://www.fatsecret.Co. uk Can highly recommend diet doctors.com too, lots of info, videos, success stories of those on high fat diets.

11 days in and 9lbs down. Not hungry at all so using cals up with a soya milk shake which is delish.

Please log in or register to post a reply.