Raised blood sugar

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Monty9513
    on

Hi, I am on week five,, I was 205kg and now 90kg brilliant weight loss and sticking to the plan, I am doing 14000 steps a day that are up hill and down dale. For the last week my fasting bloods have gone from mid 90’s to 118, I am drinking plenty of water, no alcohol and sticking ridgely to the diet, any thoughts please…help!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi

This has happened to others. It seems it’s the way our bodies react, just objecting to the dietary changes we’re making. But it does come back down, and stay down.

My fasting bloods, and HbA1c have gone from diabetic to normal, and have stayed there. Although I’m now at maintenance and not watching the calories too much, Im still keeping my daily carbs low. What is your daily carb amount?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Monty, I will say what a always do in this situation. You need to have a small snack before bedtime, something like a piece of cheese, slice of ham or chicken. Something which you have saved a few calories for so an not to upset your goals. What you are experiencing is the Dawn Effect (Phenomonon really but I cant spell it) where the liver sees you have not had any food for a long time and decides to give you a boost by pumping out glycogen (sugar) to help you through until breakfast. This happens at around 5am but you dont have to get up at 5 and eat, just make sure you dont go to bed on a empty stomach. You can Google is and read about it for yourself for a fuller explanation. Good luck.

• posted by Monty9513
    on

Many thanks for that reassurance, I thought it was just me !
    I will give it a go and get back to you

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Thanks for this SG. I’m sure this must be what’s causing my sudden FBS rise for the last 10 days or so. Have been trying to fast from 6pm onwards so that makes perfect sense. It’s a bother if a ‘false’ reading because I regularly have to get up at 5.30 and do a 3 hour drive to a meeting. Always measure FBS on these mornings because you’re not supposed to drive if it’s too low, but I never feel like eating at that time. Will try a pre-bed snack and see if that helps. Thanks again! So much knowledge and experience on this forum! Mkx

• posted by Monty9513
    on

Hi sunshine girl
    Thanks for the advice, I tested my blood 2.5hrs after eating last night and I was 111, thinking of the dawn phenomenon I took it again at 4.50 am and it was 113 and woke up this morning with a thumping headache took my reading and it was 122 looks to be dawn phenomenon as you predicted. I took my blood at 11.00 before brunch and it had come down to 100 exactly. Possibly, as I have lost so much weight, my Metphormin dose may be too high for me now…I take 800 mg am and 800 mg pm, I even took it as I went to bed last night instead of with my evening meal. My doctor is typically French and states ‘when you have diabetes you have it for life, you cannot come off your medication’ we will see, I am going to stop my evening tablet and see if it makes a difference! Thanks for your advice I wil let you know what happens, hope this may help anyone else with the same problem.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi again Monty, I too have a French doctor (oh la la) and that WAS his view before I changed it for him. Then I went to see the podologue for my monthly foot care and she was so excited to tell me that one of her clients has had gastric surgery and is now cured of diabetes. I have been telling her about BSD for months but she took this news to convince her. It is the same in the UK but some doctors are starting to hear about this wave of stubborn, self curing T2’s. When people ask me about my condition I tell them it is nearly cured and they look at me like I have grown an extra head but I just say, remember you heard it from me first. They think I am the crazy anglaise but I am slowly proving them wrong. Even down to the guy who takes my blood in the lab, I have a bet with him as to how low it will be and the girl in the pharmacy who asked why I was only getting half my glycizde tablets and why I hadn’t had any Lantus (insulin) on my ordonnance for the past 3 months (because I take half my old dose). When they say it is for life we just have to teach them different by our own examples and experiences. Life is good.

Please log in or register to post a reply.