Questions for the experts !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Seadog
    on

Hi, am just wondering if I can get some advice ?. I’m on day 6 now and starting to feel like my old self (but better !! ha ha), and I’ve had a few compliments already about my disappearing tummy…I’m going to weigh myself next week and see where I’m at. Two questions really ?, how often do you weigh yourselves ?, as I’m of the addictive personality type, I’m not keen to weigh every day as I think I may get a bit obsessive, but on the other hand, I need to weigh myself often enough to see results ?, I’m thinking twice a week, say Sunday and Weds ?.
    Next question concerns water, I’m drinking 3 litres a day plus cups of tea, but could quite happily drink more ?. I’m finding I love really cold water, but how much is too much ?. My loo visits are obviously more frequent, and longer ! Thanks guys.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Seadog, and well done on your 6 days – so glad you’re feeling better! I personally have found the BSD is amazing in terms of extra energy and pizazz.

With regard to weighing, it’s fine to weigh every day or every week, whatever suits you. However, it’s also key to measure yourself, either with tape measure (waist, hips, thighs etc) or via clothing because quite often weight plateaus, or you don’t lose as much weight as other people on the forum, and you get discouraged.

It really is an 8 week journey, with each individual body responding differently, so the key thing is not how much you weigh yourself but your attitude at the result. If you stick to the BSD principles and calories you WILL lose weight, but how much is really difficult to predict.

I could see myself getting thinner (as your friends have noted with you) whilst my weight stayed level. It’s the fat going from the internal organs I think.

And brace yourself that the fat goes from the visceral fat first, and the bit under your belly button, which is the subcutaneous fat we all want to lose, is last to go. It b—-dy would be.

Hope that helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Seadog
    on

Thanks so much for the reply !, that is great advice regarding the measuring. I’m using something called a ‘fitbook’ which I fund on Amazon to log my food/exercise/water etc, there is also a weekly check in page where you can enter your measurements, so Ill start doing that.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

And I should have said, Seadog, that I think you can keep drinking water.

The only thing is – don’t eat too few calories because you’re full of water !

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Seadog
    on

Will do, it’s just that I’m up to 4 litres already ?. I’m sure it will steady off, mind you I did go for a long run earlier on in semi-warm weather,and sweated a fair bit !. How are you getting on ?

• posted by Jillf
    on

Hello – can anyone out there tell me – with the no-carb bircher recipe, do you pour away the apple juice or eat it? Thanks!
    Jill

• posted by Rhodie
    on

Hi there everyone – I am a July starter (currently on day 4) and am really encouraged by the losses that people are having. I find it extremely encouraging and motivating too to read everyone’s comments. I have a couple of questions – I am doing the 8 week 800 calorie BSD and do have a certain amount of fat round the tummy region, but most of my weight is around hips and thighs (classic pear shape) – will this diet help get rid of the excess down below ๐Ÿ™‚ ? Also, we are going to a birthday tea party this weekend which is sure to have lots of carbs, how do you politely say no without sounding like a fussy eater and admitting that you are on yet another diet (blush, blush). I am a classic yo yo dieter and having reached an all time low (and high weight wise) really want to lose the excess as soon as possible. Thanks

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Rhodie and welcome!

Re losing weight from various parts…..if you stick to the 800 calories per day, and keep the carbs low, with no refined carbs like sugar, pasta, rice, potatoes, root veg etc., then you will lose weight.

However, this is an interesting diet as it resets your hormones and clears not only the subcutaneous fat (the bit you can see) but also the visceral fat (the dangerous stuff round your internal organs). So it’s a great idea to measure yourself as well as weigh, because it seems sometimes that the weight stays level whilst the waist measure (amongst others) goes down.

And, sad to say, the bit of subcutaneous fat below the belly button seems to be the last to go. I have done my 8 weeks, lost 19lbs and got down to 9st lbs (my initial target was 9 stone, and I’m persisting till I get there), but the little ‘belly wedge’ is still stubbornly there.

So yes, you will lose the weight from your hips/thighs, but you may see more effect elsewhere first! ๐Ÿ™‚

With regard to your tea party, not sure how you can do that politely – have a slight tummy upset and say that you’re sticking to tea/drinks this time, as you don’t want to risk the beautiful cakes?

• posted by Jillf
    on

How about saying you have a carb intolerance – doesn’t sound too much like a diet!

• posted by Timmy
    on

Well people do have different tolerances to different types of carbs, so you could say that you are being tested as to which one so you need to abstain from carbs for a bit.

• posted by Rhodie
    on

Jill and Timmy – good advice – will give that a go and see what happens.

Seadog – many apologies seems I have hijacked your post – still getting used to this website – probably should have started another forum.

• posted by Seadog
    on

Hi Rhodie, not to worry about high jacking my post ! I don’t think it works like that on here, it’s just a free for all ! Glad to see you are doing well ! I’ve got my wife’s birthday tomorrow, so not a problem as far as my wife is concerned, as she’s 100% behind me on this plan, but when the family come round tomorrow night then it may be a bit tricky ! I’m really not going to get into the merits of this plan with non believers,
    my mother in law is a prime example, she just keeps offering cake etc. If I was you I’d just say that you’re reducing your sugar as people are just starting to realise that it’s not good for them ! Also, you could just say you had a big lunch with friends etc and you’re still stuffed ! It’s the trickiest part of this plan, dealing with others, so best of luck, let us know how you get on !!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Oh my old friend the belly wedge
    I’ve tried to tell him he isn’t welcome and he should go join all his fatty friends in the great hereafter but he still hangs about, reminding me of the days of yore ๐Ÿ˜‰
    I hope if I ignore him, he’ll just slink away one day.
    Anyhow, I weigh once a week on the same day at the same time on the Chemists scales.
    I don’t have scales in the house due to an ex’s obsession with them so I don’t have to have the “OMG I put an ounce on today” moments.

• posted by Seadog
    on

Your quite right Bill, the scales can become a bit of an obsession !.I like your approach, once a week, same place, same time…that’ll do me.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

It has to be that way for me. It’s a well known fact that your weight can fluctuate enormously during the course of a single day so the same day same time thing just makes total sense to me.
    I proved this to myself, I weigh on Saturday mornings and one week had to go to the chemist to pick up a prescription on a Tuesday afternoon. I shouldn’t have jumped on the scales but I did, only to find I was 4 lb heavier than I was on the Saturday.
    Of course by the following Saturday it was gone with interest ๐Ÿ˜€

Please log in or register to post a reply.