question re my fitness pal adding calories for exercise when on 800 cal per day

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AussieHeather
    on

I started Fast 800 on 12 April – so 5 weeks ago and so far have been going really well – almost down to my “first goal” so I am very pleased. Have managed to stay on track pretty much the whole time but have just had a 5 day stint away from home so the BSD diet was in place but not necessarily the 800 Cal per day. Still losing…….but a few grams up here and there over last couple days. No bother!

However I am starting to wonder whether or not I have been doing it right all along. As you know My Fitness Pal gives you bonus calories for doing exercise. I have just been blindly accepting of this and if for example I do an hours walk and get a couple hundred calories in return My Fitness Pal adds this to the 800 calorie a day limit – so I now have 1000 calories per day and altered carbs, fats etc.
    My question is – Is this correct OR should I still be keeping to the 800 calorie limit?

In 2 weeks we go on holiday and we are at the mercy of what is presented to us food wise and we have no opportunity to exercise as I do not fancy getting chased by lions etc in the African bush just cos I need to go for a walk! So that will be 7 wks on the Fast 800 for me – but from then on I will just do my very best to stick to the BSD. I am hopeful that before we go I will have reached my goal weight – I only have 0.9 of a kg to go so am quite hopeful that I stand to pass my goal weight which would be amazing – I wish I had known about this way of eating a long time ago!
    Thanks in advance for others input – am interested to know this fact.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

You should keep to the 800 calories even if it means reducing exercise – exercise does not reduce weight. Dont tell myfitnesspal then it wont do it.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Aussieheather. Sunshine-girl is quite right. 800 cal it is, and no compensation in additional calories for exercise.
    So sorry ๐Ÿ™‚ Excerise is not what drives weight loss, but the kind of carbs we eat ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Thanks to you both – thank god I have still lost weight cos otherwise I would feel like its a waste of last 5 weeks! I have been allowing MyFitnessPal to adjust the daily calories in line with exercise done – idiot!
    So now I am not inputting my exercise – sticking to the 800 calorie count.
    Another question – what levels do you all have your carbs, fats and proteins set to please? I was trying to stick to 20 of carbs but that is pretty hardcore I feel given that so many veggies (not below ground obviously not eating those) are high enough on their own!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Aussieheather, please don’t be too hard on yourself ๐Ÿ™‚ Most advice out there is outdated, and hasn’t caught up
    to the research that the calories in calories out theory has been debunked and all calories are not equal!
    I reset my macros to 50g protein, 20g carb after experiencing an 18 day plateau about 10wk into the Fast800. I’m
    insulin resistant though, so I had to go “hardcore” as you say. I never counted fat grams, because I assumed I was
    doing everything right as I lost at the rate of 3.5lbs a week over the course of 10 months. Congratulations! Will you
    be continuing past the 8 weeks?

Allie

on

HI Allie
    Thanks for that info – its hard to actually find that piece of information – due to my holiday coming up I can only do 7 weeks and then after the 2 wk holiday restart – depending on where I sit then weight wise I will either do another fortnight- 4 weeks of the Fast800 but then will maintain the BSD without counting calories.
    I have not found it too onerous at all and its working for both my husband and I (he has only been doing the BSD as he travels for work and its pretty hard to go hardcore and count calories when you are not able to cook for yourself).
    He commented the other day “so this is it then is it this is how we are going to eat from now on?”! But we both happy with it and wish we had started years ago!
    Hope you have had great success as well.
    Thanks for the advice
    Heather

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi again, Heather The point that we have been discussing was made clear to me, not by MMosley’s book, but another
    that I read in June 2016 at the start of my journey. I recommend it often, for once I had this knowledge “on board” I
    didn’t waiver or stumble or allow myself little “treats”. In the event that you haven’t heard of it, it is Gary Taubes book,
    “Why We Get Fat..and What To Do About It”. I found it to be life changing, and the “Bible” for managing one’s weight
    for life. Wishing you the best,

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi AussieHeather,
    I find that I need to be down around the 20g carbs level to loose weight. – However, the advantage also is that I don’t get hungry at that level, so I can comfortable save up all my cals to eat in a 4 hour window which gives me plenty of options on food.

• posted by ernie
    on

Hi
    A couple of years ago I had a chat to Prof Taylor, when the LCHF diet was in its infancy…
    He said that 800 cals sufficient for low stress exercise ie walking or getting slighly out of breath for a couple of minutes ie using weight machines in the gym.
    However if you exercise in an aerobic way for more than 20 mins ie that raises the heart rate to 110 + and you sweat buckets or get out of breath, increase calories by up to 400 ON THOSE DAYS you do the exercise. I REPEAT THIS IS ONLY FOR HARD EXERCISE THAT goes on for more than 20 mins and leaves you out of breath etc..ie Spin class etc, it possibly does not relate to dance clas or a leisurely gym circuit etc .You dont have to increase low calories, but make sure that you eat something substantial at least 1 1/2 hours before that type of exercise to avoid a hypo.
    If you are diabetic check yr BG levels before and after hard exercise. The fundamentals of the blood glucose diet may mean that the Glucose leaches out of yr muscles and connective tissues in a slightly uncontrolled way when you exercise as the body searches for energy sources when under sustaiend physical stress. By the way the increase in calories can be taken after the exercise and something like dried fruit pieces and or nuts are the best source.

• posted by ernie
    on

Sorry forgot to say that as a rule of thumb, working flat out in a spin class for 3/4 hour and finshing in a pool of sweat and out of breath will typically burn only 400 or so calories. A typical gym session will burn only half that amount unless you have constant higer HR and breathing rate.
    The best way to compensate for hard work in the gym after a hard cardio work out is to have small snack 30 mins after exercise with nuts etc , prob they wont even get to 200 calories but should be enough to stabilise yr BG levels and vitally, tell yr body that you are not starving yourself and thus help avoid future over storage of Glucose.

Please log in or register to post a reply.