Pulses and vinegar?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Clerkenwell
    on

Hello, I’m just embarking on this and reading through the recipes. So many of them seem to sneak in cans of beans, chickpease and pulses, which I can’t bear. I’m also unclear how this fits with the general rubric of quality protein, fats and vegetables. Would it be OK to ditch the pulses and up the vegeable/protein/fat quotient for satiety? Also, the early chapters hail the benefits of vinegar but have been surprised to see recipes for leaves dressed with oil, but no vinegar. Is there a reason for this? Would it OK to sneak some in? General guidance very welcome. Thanks!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

vinegar is zero carbs and zero calories so go for it just dont use the flavoured vinegars. Some people swear by the fermented food for good gut bacteria like kimchi or sauerkraut which are very much vinegar based but I cant stand them so not bothered. You dont have to eat pulses, lentils, chickpeas etc, they are just a good carb substitute without the damaging carbs, but still high, so just leave them out. As long as you are getting enough calories and satiety.

on

Just to be clear on vinegars and flavoured ones. Malt, white wine, sherry, red wine vinegars are safe i.e. 0.75 carbs per 100g. Vinegars like Balsamic, raspberry, are around 18g per 100g. Some of the sweeter vinegars like blackcurrant are around 63g per 100g. We have a vinegar factory near us and I was shocked when I looked on the back of the bottle – however, dont panic as you would never have 100g or 100ml of vinegar on your food. Another type are the reduced vinegars which can be as high as 80g per 100g – they are the ones they make patterns on your plate or little blobs. As you can tell I have just been through my cupboards for this information. To be safe I make my dressings with oil and lemon juice.

• posted by Tesselate
    on

I have replaced all vinegars (and growing up in UK I’m addicted to malt vinegar as THE vinegar) with apple cider vinegar. Healthiest by far … if I’m feeling unwell I even take a s hot of it.

• posted by alliecat
    on

A warm welcome to the community, tesslate ๐Ÿ™‚

sunshine-girl, this is quite an interesting post about vinegars. I’ve learned something new today, so thank you for
    rummaging through your cupboards! I used to have a friend who was from Montreal, and she used to routinely
    put malt vinegar on what you call “chips”. What is malt vinegar derived from? Enjoy your first day in the pool!

Allie

• posted by Clerkenwell
    on

Thank you all for your thoughts and research – very helpful!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Tesselate – reading your post reminded me that I have a bottle of Bragg organic Apple Cider vinegar in a cupboard which I have completely forgotten about. I had bought it for the health benefits. Must open it and use it tomorrow.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, Krysia! I use Bragg’s too. Esnecca gave me a great tip last Autumn. Combine it with sparkling water! I actually
    enjoy the taste, and precede meals with it. Sounds kind of crazy, I know….It has been used for ages here by farmers
    as a health tonic. The old adage is that if you like it, you probably need it, and if you are repelled by it, you probably
    don’t! Probably just an old wive’s tale, but curious, nonetheless. Adding a good shake of cayenne pepper is suppose
    to be beneficial too ๐Ÿ™‚ Suppose to aid with acid reflux, too.

on

Allie, it think the clue is in the name, malt vinegar made from malt. It is a by product from the brewing industry. Although it is in fact maltose which is a sugar there are no calories not carbs no nothing in it. The vinegars known as wine or sherry or apple etc are also a left over from brewing of wine, sherry, cider etc and have any sugars / carbs filtered out. However, here in our part of France we have Le Moulin des Cepages (Google it) where they take the wine and add flavourings like blackcurrant, apricot and my favourite, pineapple. These are high in sugars but when you think of how much you would use it is negligible – one tablespoon of balsamic is 22 calories and 2g of carbs.

on

Allie, just read my post again and I am so sorry if it came across as sarcastic or condescending. It wasn’t meant that way, just making a play on words. Sorry.

• posted by alliecat
    on

sunshine-girl, you’re a wonderful friend to this community, and I appreciate the time you take to answer my questions
    re T2D, so I can better appreciate what you all must do to manage the condition. I took no offense in the least ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m
    delighted to learn new things here every day, and know that I ask A LOT of questions! Sincere thanks,

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.