Problems with sleep

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by mrssmiley
    on

I am now at 3w6d and rapted I have lost 8kg but I have had a problem with sleep from day 1. I get to sleep fine but wake up after 5 hours and then either don’t go back to sleep or have difficulty getting back to sleep. This is leaving me sleep deprived and as I work and have five kids I have to endure a busy day with no chance to try and claim back any sleep but only to hope the next night I get a better night’s sleep but alas it never happens. I was always about a seven and a half hour a night sleeper before beginning the diet.
    Has anyone else had this problem and did you find a solution?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi,
    I remember when I started along this path back in October I also had a lot of problems both getting to sleep and sleeping through the night. Apparently Carbs and the resulting insulin spike help raise levels of serotonin which helps us sleep. So if we have been over indulging in carbs sleep patterns are one of the areas where our bodies have to adapt when we cut the levels. Personally, I found the problem started to ease after a few weeks and just lately I have had to buy a beefier alarm clock because I was sleeping through my alarm. If you can, save some of your carb allowance for the evening to help you through this stage.

• posted by MarianneA
    on

mrs smiley,
    Has your sleep improved? I want to get some carbs in at night but minimal.
    Dr. M. suggested that kiwi at night can help in a video I saw somewhere. Or a spoon of (prebiotic) potato starch along with some probiotic.
    Time-released melatonin is helpful too.

Marianne

• posted by mrssmiley
    on

I had a great sleep last night, in fact even longer than my previous usual, so hopefully that is the end of the sleeping problem. I’ve been starving today though and rather cranky so I’m hoping that isn’t the trade off.

Please log in or register to post a reply.