Preparing to Start – still a bit of confusion

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bghouse
    on

Hi All,

I’ve been reading bunches of threads trying to get this correct, but I’m still confused.

I’m in the US, so for me all my labels show the Total Carbs with the Fiber, not Net Carbs after fiber.

I’m trying to target the “50g of carbs or lower” that I see so many people have luck with.

So for me in the US, that “50g of carbs or lower” that people up here mention – is the NET Carbs?

This would actually explain an awful lots, as I often feel crazy cold but look at stuff in an app like myfitnesspal and thing – dang, there’s the 50g carbs. But the carbs I like have higher fiber, and I haven’t be subtracting that. So I bit be closer to very low carb, which I didn’t really want to go too low to start.

Please do let me know on whether the 50g is “net” carbs (aka UK Carb counts – lol), as I’m working to do my meal planning to take the plunge ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sandie
    on

I have not been too fussed about counting carbs. If you have your protein, vegetables and the occasional fruit you won’t be going too wrong. I have gone the no bread, no rice, no cake, no biscuit route with very little prepared food. Back to basics with fish, eggs, cheese, full fat natural organic yogurt, meat from the butchers and fresh vegetables.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi bghouse

I’m with Sandie, good advice there. I am heading in to week 14 now and until about 10 days ago didn’t count any carbs, when I did, I found they added up to around 50g a day. Stick with good whole foods especially in the vegetable and meat categories and you will be fine. It’s the loaded white stuff that brings up the carbs; bread, rice, potato, pasta, it becomes a bit of a mantra after a while. And if you think you cannot live without them…there’s a lot of living proof out here that you can and pretty darned quickly you don’t miss them. Keep it simple, relax and enjoy the journey.

Why am I on Week 14? Because this plan feels good, I have abundant energy, lose weight every week, enjoy the food I eat and 90% of the time I never feel hungry. I recognize hunger now and can control it, think about that.
    N

• posted by bghouse
    on

Thanks Nettle & Sandie. However, I am really wanting to get the answer to whether 50g is NET carbs or not. I’ve read all these threads, and every time this subject comes up it never really gets answered – lol.

I want to be able to look at how I react versus the success others talk about, especially with blood sugar. So desperately trying to figure out if folks are talk “UK carbs” up here – which would mean NET carbs ๐Ÿ˜‰

This also has a huge impact for me because I LOVE a big salad full of veggies. The NET carbs on that is very different from Gross Carbs (hahaha, “gross” carbs, hahaha) ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Poppyflower
    on

I am in Australia so may have this wrong but my understanding is that in the UK and Australia our food labels state net carbs, the fibre is listed separately. In the US this is not the case so to you would need to subtract the fibre and count the net carbs towards your daily 50gm total, not the gross carbs. Otherwise you will be eating significantly less carbs than UK and Australian BSDers.

• posted by bghouse
    on

Thank you Poppyflower – that’s what I needed and I think it explains I lot. Without removing the fiber amount, I’ve been eating less than I thought I was, and that would explain the constant cold feeling.

It also means that since I want to focus on carb count, I’m going to need to either find a different tracking app that lets me do Net carbs or add all the foods myself again in myfitnesspal instead of using the ones already in there.

• posted by Frog
    on

that’s interesting Poppyflower – explains why some things in the MFP database seem too high on the carb count!

I had that problem with spinach this evening, and had to make several selections to get an entry that seemed to have the correct carb count that agreed with the nutrition info on the packet.
    I usually type in grams after everything, because I really don’t get measuring things in cups – it seems so imprecise, grams tends to return results that are UK entries, so likely to have the correct carb content.
    I guess the other way of getting UK entries is selecting – or stating as a criteria, a UK supermarket,

• posted by OzVeggy
    on

Good luck bghouse. I simply use the data in MyFitnessPal (scanning barcodes where I can as it’s so quick and easy). While I aim for 50g of carbs a day it’s not something I focus on too much.

Please log in or register to post a reply.