"Prednisone fat"

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JRChild
    on

I was on 50mg of Prednisone for >5years and became, well, truly enormous in a very short time!!! I have tried everything I could find, even having a personal trainer for weight training 1 hour per day on top of an hour of cardio with negligible results. Now I have found this diet, referred to me by stranger on the beach during small talk of all things. I’m just wondering if Prednisone fat is the big bad beast I have been told and if anyone, especially medically trained professionals involved on this site could advise me on what to expect given the peculiarities of my case. BTW I have been off Prednisone for 3 years but still have the fat!

Thanks.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi JRChild – welcome to the forum. Firstly, let me say that I am not a medical professional and do not have experience of taking Prednisone, however, given that you have been off the drug now for three years, I can’t think that tackling the remaining fat, should be any different from tackling fat gained in any other way/ Especially as that fat will have the same health implications are any gained in any other way.

BSD is certainly proven to work, as testified by numerous participants on the forum and these people have all come to the BSD way of eating for a variety of reasons, but the one thing we all have in common, is that we were desperate to find an effective way to rid ourselves of unwanted fat and improve our health.

With luck, someone with experience with use of Predisone will respond to you, but I’d suggest you acquire a copy of Dr Moseley’s book, read it and then if you feel it’s a good fit, give it a try – really all you have to lose is the weight! Also, have a good look around the forum, check out some threads and profiles, so you get a picture of what people are achieving with this way of life.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you will find a way of losing the weight you want to be rid of and successfully maintain the loss into the future. Best of luck to you.

• posted by JRChild
    on

Hello SunnyB, sorry for taking so long to come back, I’ve been a little crazy busy the past week or so. It has been a full week on the diet and I’ve lost 5 cm, but was a little concerned about what I had been told by many that had taken the medication and even some health care professionals about the evils of Prednisone fat, even after so long off it (and I do occasionally have to go back on it again). Thank you for your answer though, I greatly appreciate it.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I’ve no experience to offer, but all I would say is – give this a try as there is nothing to lose by giving it a go. Well nothing to lose except fat and inches of course lol. Well done with your first week, 5cm is a great drop to see already so it’s looking hopeful this will work for you too.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to know you have decided to give the BSD a go and that you are already seeing some really excellent progress, JR. Hopefully you are feeling better for changing to this way of eating and you will continue and be reporting further good results soon. May be think about joining some of the other threads, as there is a lot of experience and wisdom out there. Every four weeks there is a challenge thread – the newest one has only recently started and I’m sure you’d still be welcome to join (think it is called ‘Keeping Carb at Bay Over Valentines Day’.

Please log in or register to post a reply.