Positive Thoughts Thread Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Okay, well this is probably my last post on this thread for a few days, as we leave home tomorrow morning and flight out of UK on Thursday. Unlikely to get to checking in again much before the weekend. Last of the holiday prep in hand – two bags completely packed, just need to chuck last minute things into the third and finalise hand luggage.

Positives for today are ….
    1) Waxing appointment kept this morning, so holiday bod ready for the sun.
    2) Handed over my voluntary village hall responsibilities this afternoon. It’s actually quite nice not to have to think about it for the next month.
    3) Temps in Turkey are mid to high twenties and sunny …. can hardly wait!!

• posted by alliecat
    on

I hope I’ve caught up with you in time for your departure, Sunny! Have a perfect holiday 🙂 🙂 🙂 Enjoy
    the warmth and the sun. I hope you’ll discover wonderful new spices during your trip. Of course we
    will miss you, so check in when you can! Safe journey xxx

• posted by Theodora
    on

Yes indeed, Sunny. Have a safe journey and a fantastic holiday.

And, in case I don’t manage to get online, have a wonderful birthday, Allie – kick your heels up in those new killer shoes.

I’m now en route to Oz but thought I’d take the opportunity to check in while I have an Internet connection.

1. Did some last minute shopping before we left home as I needed some decent but lightweight walking trousers (we intend doing some fairly serious hikes in NZ). Anyway, I couldn’t get any ladies ones small enough!!!!😨 The solution? A pair of children’s – 11 year old – fit me perfectly and considerably cheaper! 😊😊😄
    2. On same shopping trip I saw rather a cute little mini-skirt, UK size 6 (US 2 I believe?). Gets better though as, when I took it to the checkout, it had 75% off!😁
    3. As o/h won the battle and we have checked luggage (despite my desire to travel hand luggage only) I could bring new little skirt with me.
    Will try to check in occasionally whilst away but if I don’t manage it, see you all in December.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Bon Voyage, Theo! Have a marvelous time, and don’t get too friendly with the creatures in the bush. I don’t
    quite know what to make of all the marsupials, different shapes and sizes, but you will soon find out 🙂
    Safe journey, and please pop in when you have a good connection…I know you know how and where to
    find us! At any rate, we have a date in Dec., when I’ll be looking forward to hearing about this most recent
    trip. I’ll be keeping the home fires burning for Sunny and you! xoxo

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wow, Theo, those clothing sizes are amazing!! Thanks for the best wishes for our trip – they are reciprocated, hope have a really fabulous time. Allie, in case I forget to pop in on the day, have a wonderful birthday and please post details of the celebratory shoes, ‘cos I’ll be dropping in occasionally to check what’s going on and I’m itching to know about them.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I certainly will, Sunny! At the moment I’m considering plum colored suede..hmm. I do like the idea
    of your bright red dress with the asymmetrical hem!

I woke up this morning bursting with energy, so I’m going to use that as motivation to clear out
    a pantry cupboard that I probably haven’t opened in over 2 years, where stale boxes of pre BSD
    pasta, rice, couscous and other naughties reside. So much wasted storage space! Lots of
    room in which to hoard canned goods when the snow begins to fly, and we’re marooned inside.
    I never quite completed my Spring cleaning efforts, so today I will continue it forward into the
    new season. Sumo, I think your O/H is super organized, and I doubt I’d procrastinate to the
    degree that I do, if I had her here to “set the pace”. How are your gym sessions going???

If I am successful, I’ll move this entire day into the positives column. I feel like the sleeping giant
    who has reawakened after a summer siesta of sloth brought on by the heat and humidity.
    A mug of coffee awaits, then a brisk walk before I move into my day.

Get focused on positives, my friends 🙂 🙂 🙂 They are everywhere, we just have to look!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Sumo! You gave me some great advice a few months ago on how to post my email address
    to minimize hacks. I thought I had saved it for future reference, but at the moment it can’t be
    found. Can I prevail upon you to repeat it? Thanks in advance 🙂

Allie

• posted by Sumo
    on

Allie

Does this look familiar ? basically I was saying deliberately put characters / Spaces in to a plain text e-mail on open furums, that you and the recipient are aware of?
    posted by alliecat
    on 24 May 2018 at 15:23
    Reply • Report post • permalink
    Thanks, All! I didn’t find the 18hr fast as difficult as I had feared. I used cream in my coffee, and
    just kept busy. YES, Krysia My bowl of yogurt tasted incredible! I didn’t wolf it down either, but
    mindfully enjoyed every spoonful. I’ll be trying for the same today…
    JGwen, I was more than a little apprehensive to have my email address out on a public thread also,
    but it was the only way Esnecca and I could get connected. There’s nothing quite the same as being
    able to hear another’s voice. KazzUK simply saw the address, and told me she’d like to use it! Next
    came an invitation to skype. It’s great fun, JGwen! I don’t have the technical expertise to understand
    robot scan. I was more concerned that one of the unstable with a lot of “issues” that occasionally
    find their way onto the forums, might continue the personal diatribe on my email. I’m going to
    throw caution to the wind again, and include my address in this post. I never open mail unless
    I know who it’s coming from, so if I won’t be able to identify you by your address, please leave
    something for me in the “subject” line that I would know
    ollieart50@comcast.net
    Thank you all for your patience with these “arrangements”!
    Positives later today….

Allie

posted by Sumo
    on 25 May 2018 at 07:51
    Reply • Report post • permalink
    alliecat
    I have not posted for awhile, but been reading thread
    Internet robots are software programmes designed to look for certain information e.g. your e-mail address, some are armless, advertises as such, some are scammer, con artist etc, up to no good, so to fool them you can add spaces
    Ollierart 50 @ Comcast.net
    Robots fooled, but obviously, numb nuts who want to give you grief via e-mail can still work it out.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you kindly, Sumo! It’s now firmly imbedded in my brain!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Where are you, my friends? Surely we’ve got positives to share! I know Sunny we will be
    checking in soon, and I’m determined to keep her thread open 🙂

A very quiet, non social weekend for me…Today’s small bonuses are the following:

Heavy rain forecast, but miraculously the sun is out, so I had no excuse not to fill my
    lungs with oxygen, and hoof it around the neighborhood! Some days I feel like I need
    to beat myself with a stick to get out there, but once I do I love feeling all the muscles
    in my lower body at work, and also of benefit to the abdominals as well, which are the
    principle group that keeps us erect, not the paraspinal muscles. All back patients know
    this 🙂

I’m still fascinated that I’ve been able to grow a new orchid stem that now has 9 blossoms
    on it, and new buds are still forming. Such a beautiful pink! I have another white moth
    orchid that has sent up a new 2″ stem, so I have high hopes for it too. Simple pleasures 🙂

Last but not least, an hr and a half chat with Kazzi, which always keeps me flying high!

Share the results of your weekend, everyone. Even the smallest pleasures have meaning,
    and I love reading about them. V., how are you doing??

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Allie. Still here, but busy having a lovely time in Greece. I hope the birthday preparations are going well!
    Positives: enjoying lots of aubergines, feta and peppers. (Though have to say that Mediterranean diet here seems to give mixed results. My husband was served a pile of chips at lunch, to accompany his pork, served on pita bread. Hmmm.). Climbing up another set of ruins today without getting puffed. Feel like a mountain goat. Though hope i don t look like one! Enjoying all your posts and achievements, even if not joining as much at the moment.

Have a good week!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Allie and all!
    I’m here! Had a lovely quiet weekend! Catching up with YouTube and programmes!
    1 – I also sorted through my cupboards for a final clear of things like stuff in jars and besam flour – bought over a year ago before I knew what I do now!
    2 – Got really organised for the week ahead food wise and pre made some large thin omelettes to use as wraps for lunches or dinners depending upon how I feel. Cooked some chicken.
    3 – managed a 24 hour fast Weds evening to Thursday, Thurs eve to Friday. 18/6 Sat and Sun.
    4 – Painted my nails first time since Xmas a lovely light mauve colour (from Avon).
    Have a good day!
    Kaz xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning! I do have some positives too …….
    1. We had our 49th wedding anniversary on Friday ….. YES 49. I can’t quite believe it! Maybe best not to analyse too much!
    2. Have finally got my ‘on track’ head back on but will continue quietly to keep on keeping on ……
    3. It’s Monday so a new week, feeling very positive so off to make a few pots of soup. I find soup so helpful during the cooler months.
    Kazz I’m really interested in your omelette wraps. Recipe, storage, serving, fillings etc. If you have a minute maybe you could share with us.
    Have a good week everyone.

• posted by Sumo
    on

Hi Verano congrats on 49 mine will be 39 in Jan 19, my daughter puts it down to me being in the Navy for first 17 years and working away from home for my first 13 years after leaving RN, I just don’t know what she means?

Storm torn UK messed up Saturday’s wedding, all Scottish guest missing due to all flights cancelled.
    Those that were staying at Polhawn Fort, Rame Peninsula, Cornwall https://www.polhawnfort.com/polhawn-fort-history-3/ on the Friday night had a mare of a journey, Tamar Bridge down to one lane and restricted access, causing massive traffic tailback. Torpoint Ferry all high sided vehicles and motor bike diverted from Tamar Bridge over an hours wait for a ferry, took daughter and friend over 3 hours to drive from Plymouth via bridge.
    Saturday morning weather seemed to be dropping of, OH and I drove from Plymouth via ferry in 45mins.
    OH never very good on time, arrived 10 mins after ceremony start time, only way in to fort is via a spiral stone stairs dropping 30 feet in 2 turns, we virtually descended into the ceremony, the OH likes to make an entrance. We stood on the spiral as that would have seen us walk past the brides?
    Positives
    1. The weather although over cast held for all the outdoor photos.
    2. The wedding was a great success.
    3. One of the brides my OH had been a segregate mother to as she had been to many of our children’s waifs and stray friends over the years. Stated she was over the moon that OH and I made it, even with our entrance, as her family were stuck in Scotland she actually felt like she had family there when we arrived, OH was humbled, over the moon and little embarrassed with such praise all in one go.
    4. All my work on my legs helped, the Fort was built way before disabled access was introduces, all stairs are cut from granite and vary in step height, I managed to walk up and down without aid, 4 months ago this would not have been the case.

• posted by Natalie
    on

Evening all. Sorry I’ve been a bit quiet.
    1. After two weeks of school holidays trapped inside due to pouring rain nearly every day (still p*ssing down outside now) and lots of sickness in the family, the kids were back at school and Tim back at work today. I had the house to myself!
    2. During a break in the weather I got outside, the garden is loving the rain after so long without, two columbines in flower with what look like dainty little fairy dresses.
    3. I bought mangos, pineapple and oranges; and the house now smells like sunshine.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sumo that really is a tale of ‘all’s well that ends well! LOL! I think your daughter may just have a point but anyway it’s no mean feat to have a long marriage in this day and age.
    So for my positives today I just have three tales of success ….
    1. OH has finally given cauliflower rice a try as a replacement for the white stuff. SUCCESS …. he liked it!
    2. I have managed a whole week back using Fatsecret. SUCCESS. …. I’m on the downward slope again!
    3. I’m back into soup making. SUCCESS ….. we now have lunches sorted for the next few weeks at least!
    Hope today is full of positives for everyone.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Allie and all my BSD friends 🙂 Been a busy time for me over past three weeks – and no internet connection! – so Ill try to be brief in my report! Did an 1800klms road trip to visit friends and family. 6 months ago I wouldnt have even contemplated it. Those I saw were aghast at how energetic and alive I look – commented on my glowing skin and weight discard . . . all positive and reassuring to now it isnt all in my mind!!!!! 🙂 Have collected some COOL ideas for garden projects over the spring summer months – rejuvenating my fishpond lily area is one. This was “fixed” a couple of years back – and an opportunistic crane – (longlegged water bird) – helped himself to the fish and in the process . . . punctured the liner. Its been lying fallow ever since. But on my trek I saw an idea which I have enlisted the help of elder son and grandsons aged 12 and 8 to help me complete. It involves setting a wheelbarrow – bowl – in the landscaped depression . . . camouflaging the exposed bits with rocks and plants. If the crane returns . . . this can never be punctured. and the sound of trickling (aerating) water will once again add ambience to the peacefulness of my outdoors! I collected it from a recycling depot for $5! BARGAIN!!! Then with the council cleanup underway in a nearby village, someone discarded yet another barrow! This one is a steel one and a friend who lived nearby picked it up in his truck and delivered it to my place . . .This one will become my new strawberry patch! and the handles will support a box of lettuce and herbs – so the rabbits and slugs cant attack them!!! Sugars continue to be stable at 6 each morning – and trip to an osteopath today gives me hope recovery for my painful hip and right leg – and an improvement n plantar fasciitis! Thats GREAT news!!! Next week is the long awaited endocrinologist appointment – and then its back to the GP . . . to watch her face when I attend for my BP check. I do hope I can be nice, friendly and non-judgemental for that 10-15 minutes. After all Ive had a while now to get over my anger and frustration about my experiences when this all started. With the wardrobe cull complete for now because Ive had enough of trying on clothes!!!!! four large bags of clothing have been distributed elsewhere – with the crawl through 12 charity shops on my journey in past weeks, yielding up some new bargains to help out until I know what size Im going to finish up 🙂 Felt supernice in straight black size 14 slacks today topped with a dusty pink cowlneck tunic top in softest yarn imaginable. Hairdresser tomorrow, manicurist Thursday and then Friday . . .? Well Im just going to put my feet up and contemplate the past while which has been LOADED with minor problems, beautiful people doing me huge favours, surprises, experiences, a lovely holiday, seeing my dear friend happy, well and settled in her new care facility – (albeit 10 hours away!!! 🙁 ) along with many other happenings . . . and cos with all that . . .? Im just a little weary 🙂 More later and thanks for reading if you got this far 🙂 heheheheh!

• posted by Sumo
    on

WoodDuckie hehehe read it

• posted by KazzUK
    on

WoodDuckie – great to see you back! Loved reading it! 🙂
    Sumo – some nightmare journeys by the sound of it. Fair play they kept going. I’d have returned home ! I liked the entrance story down the spiral staircase… appearing like extras on a set! 🙂 What a wonderful compliment for your wife 🙂
    Nathalie – glad you are getting some much needed peace and quiet!
    Verano – well done on your soup cooking. I need to do some of that this weekend. The omelette wraps are dead easy and quick. 2 eggs beaten and a drop of water to thin a little. Salt and pepper and you can add anything else, like fresh or dried herbs, chilli flakes if you want. Knob of butter in a 12 or 14″ frying pan/skillet. Add the egg and swirl it around so it covers the whole area. After a couple of minutes, I place it under a preheated grill (broil) to finish off. I make about 4 and stack them between kitchen paper. I fold the lot in half to store in the fridge in a box or plastic bag. Fillings – main thing is, unless it’s going to be eaten straight away, I don’t add tomato because I hate wet, drippy, messy food! For today, I mixed some tuna with a bit of mayo, spring (green) onion, finely chopped red pepper, added lettuce. Spread over the wrap and rolled up. Yesterday I spread the wrap with a bit of mayo mixed with mustard powder. Added finely sliced chicken, lettuce and spring onion. Brought into work with a couple of cherry tomatoes on the side. Yum!
    My positives:
    1 – 3rd week on the trot where I’ve lost on the scales – yey after 9 months of “maintaining” and then slightly going up!
    2 – Cupboards and fridge now completely bsd friend and organised.
    3 – Thoroughly enjoying a book called Any Way You Can by Dr Annette Bosworth. It’s her and her mum’s story about how and why they turned to a keto diet due to the mum’s cancer (Grandma Rose). Am enjoying the read and not your usual book as it’s their true story/journey as well as making mistakes along the way. It also covers the stuff we know about what happens inside with insulin etc. It’s written in a really easy way and not too sciency. Easy to understand.
    See you all later…
    xxxx

• posted by alliecat
    on

I think I’ve gotten a little behind on this thread! Caron, so lovely to read your update 🙂

V., HOW did I miss your anniversary? CONGRATULATIONS! Our milestones seem to
    resemble each others, age and years of marriage. Just think of it….next year will be
    golden, and THAT we need to go all out for!!! I think that a spectacular travel experience
    would fit the bill for me. However, you’re always globetrotting 🙂 It’s gotten seasonally
    cold here, and I’m thinking SOUP too! Do you have any favorites that you can recommend?

WoodDuckie, I knew that you’ve been “on the road”, but we’ve missed you! You sound
    so well and full of energy 🙂 I love that you are full of schemes to thwart your wildlife!
    Some of us here have been matching wits with the ever wily squirrels, to keep them
    from raiding the bird feeders…they will drop from the air, and can hang upside down…
    Nothing like being outwitted by a rodent 🙂 I guess Spring is fully underway for you!
    I wish I could see your garden space. Let us know how your appointment goes with
    your “thick” GP! I think I’d have a little bit of satisfaction in proving her wrong 🙂

I’ll return with positives after inhaling some coffee. Only 5:30am here, the sun isn’t up,
    and neither a I!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Posts crossed, Kazz. I do have some tuna salad already in the frig, so I will be making your
    wrap for the bearded one and me for brunch today! Friends, I’ve seen a photo of these
    signature wraps, and they’re gorgeous. What could be more perfect with a small bowl of
    soup? I like the entire idea for Sunday night dinner, too. Thanks for posting the technique,
    Kazz! A quick trip under the broiler sounds great!

• posted by Sumo
    on

Since the wedding we found out we didn’t sneak quietly into the wedding. Options when entering the fort were at the back, no we were level with the brides?
    My daughter informed us that the wedding ceremony had just started when there was the sound of click, click, click down the spiral staircase, my OH walks on 2 crutches, so we unknowingly, announced I arrival, no comment was made other than our daughters look of mother making an entrance again?
    On 2 previous weddings we have over taken the bride down the church footpath, I have tried to get my OH to be punctual for nearly 40 years, as an ex-serviceman of 24yrs, it drives me nuts?
    1. Weigh in was no gain from last week even after a fantast Hog Roast at wedding.
    2. 3.5lb of 5.5stones
    3. My goal of 7st of by Christmas is getting tougher but still achievable

• posted by Natalie
    on

WoodDuckie be nice to your GP!
    My mum had an outdoor fishpond attacked by a crane or similar, there was wire netting over it which just gave the bird somewhere to stand – but it was deep enough that the fish could get away and also water lily leaves to hide under. The smart ones survived.
    But can’t the slugs slime their way up the wheelbarrow?
    Verano I made a batch of bacon broccoli soup today. Yummy.
    My positives today:
    1. I got through a whole Zumba class. I was considering quitting halfway through in exhaustion, thinking half an hour was acceptable for my first day back at the gym, but then remembered a budding athlete saying ‘I’m tired, but I can rest later,’ and kept going.
    2. I reheated some pulled pork in a frying pan instead of the microwave, so much better! I loved the crispy bits stuck to the pan.
    3. Sunshine today!

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

My positives :
    1- down to 9st 10lbs (14lb to a stone) or 62kg. Not seen that in far too long! 🙂
    2- lovely sunny day
    3- noticed my gorgious red Viginia Creeper and yellow ochre cherry tree leaves !
    (sneaking in a 4th – think I now know who I’m going to my by new puppy off next year!)

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Happy birthday Allie! I hope your next decade is a wonderful adventure!
    My positive is…we moved to our new mountain house — so quiet and dark and peaceful. It was exhausting with the remodel and the move and all the things that entails, but I am really glad we braved it, took the plunge and made the change. It is a perfect fit for us!

on

Aurora, I love the Virginia creeper — it is reliably brilliant red, even in California where fall colors tend toward the yellow/brown/golden side. I saw a new cultivar last week in Oregon that was just incredible (extra big extra red leaves) I forget the name, but I’m going to look for it!

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi guys
    Sitting here in sunny Oz celebrating our 49th wedding anniversary before heading off to NZ. Positives are:-
    1) Catching up with my favourite cousin and her family in Oz.
    2) Despite all expectations, absolutely no sign of jet-lag (though definitely touching wood here)
    3) Rain has been threatened all day, but not materialised – perfect weather for city sight-seeing.

Heading off to NZ on Sunday – will just follow our noses/inclination and see where we end up, as long as we are home for Christmas.

• posted by alliecat
    on

HAPPY, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, Theo! I’m so glad that you found a moment to check in.
    If you fail to return by Christmas, I will personally organize a search party for you 🙂 You
    seem to have adapted to wanderlust with gusto! Enjoy every unstructured moment…you
    travel from one adventure to the next 🙂

Thank you kindly for the birthday wishes, Julia! I’m happy that you’re finally installed
    on your mountain. Remodeling and moving house is exhausting, even if it’s something
    you’re looking forward to. I’ll be looking forward to hearing about the flora and fauna in
    the neighborhood!

I’m certain that I’ll be on overload with positves by the end of the day, but waking up to a
    forum full of birthday wishes is how I’m celebrating the early hours of this day!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad I haven’t missed the big day – very happy birthday, Allie! And happy anniversary to you as well Theo. I confess I haven’t read all recent posts in full, so please forgive me if I have missed anyone else’s significant event.

Our trip had a bit of a shaky start. OH forgot all his Turkish keys. Not a problem for getting into our apartment, as I had mine, but a day spent sorting out new keys for the scooter and breaking into our storage unit in the basement to get to it.

Also, due to a bit of a mess up on my part, there was a small problem with our Turkish visas, (apparently I can’t count!) the answer to which, was to leave and re-enter, so we were here three days, for two of which we were here illegally! We then left and went to Kos for three days and came back into Turkey two days ago. So, we are only just now settling to our home-from-home properly. Enjoyed our little Greek adventure though and to be fair, it’s a trip we have talked about doing and this time, events forced our hand.

Some simple positives for me then …
    1) now in to country legally
    2) sun is shining, it’s warm and very pleasant
    3) enjoying time with OH

Will drop by again in a few days. Stay positive everyone xx

• posted by Violinist
    on

Happy Birthday Allie!!!!! Is it a “big “ one??

I am up in Vermont this week visiting grandgirls!!!

• posted by Jordana
    on

Happy birthday Allie! I don’t normally post on this thread, but wanted to wish you many happy returns 🙂

So I guess I better post a few positives…

1) haven’t been able to read posts for awhile and logged in just in time to see its Allie’s birthday…
    2) sun is shining here. Makes me so happy!
    3) just had a lovely few days with some friends from America. So good to see them

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sunny, you lawbreaker 🙂 And you’re always so organized, too! I’m sure the kefir grains
    arrived with you intact, however? Adapting to change is suppose to be a key element
    in living a long life, and look at how well you’re prepared for it! An unplanned 3 days in
    Greece…sounds just great to me!!! Enjoy it all, my friend…Look in when you can, you
    know we’ll keep the home fires burning:)

How very thoughtful of you, Jordana and Violinist! I appreciate it so much. Violinist,
    yes, this is a “big one”….Officially a septuagenarian, today! What a perfectly gorgeous
    month to be in Vermont…..Approximately another week until we’re at maximum color
    riot on the trees in CT. I just come fully alive in Autumn, with the heat and high humidity
    behind us. Expecting a hard frost “on the pumpkin” tonight, and brilliant sunshine
    tomorrow! Enjoy your break and time with your granddaughters 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Happy anniversary Theo! We all do have a lot in common, mine was last a Friday and I think Allies is very close too. Enjoy your adventure because it’s certainly more than a ‘trip’!
    Haven’t had much to be positive about this week but I will still find something…..
    1. Finally on the mend from two bouts of an autoimmune problem I have.
    2. Finally feel like getting back to normal cooking etc. Soup is starting to get boring.
    3. The sun is shining today so who can ask for more than a bright, crisp autumn day!
    Kazz thanks for the information about the wraps. I will try them next week they sound really useful for lunches.
    Glad you are all sorted out now Sunny enjoy your holiday.
    Hope everyone is well and feeling positive.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Greetings, all! It’s a bit early in the morning to have experienced positives for today thus
    far, but I’m still floating on fresh memories from yesterday, and will share them!

1. Had a very special luncheon yesterday with O/H at a lovely upscale Mediterranean
    restaurant that serves an extensive menu of tapas appetizers, in addition to entrees.
    We select three, which we shared, and had a wonderful eclectic meal that was shockingly
    BSD friendly. We must come back to try the dinner menu!
    2. Spent the evening in front of the first blazing wood fire of the year, indulging in some
    bubbly and a small tin of beluga caviar…yum
    3. In addition to opening some very beautiful birthday gifts, my husband presented me
    with a lengthy handwritten poem that he had composed to celebrate the occasion. He
    has no facility for verbalizing his feelings, so this gesture filled my heart with joy, and
    my eyes with tears.

All in all, a very memorable day, never to be forgotten! I felt like a princess 🙂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Oh, Allie – how wonderful! 🙂 I’m glad you enjoyed your day! 🙂
    Well, my positives are:
    1 – human again today, after giving in and going to bed at 8.30pm last night – was asleep by 9pm and only woke twice in the night instead of my usual 4 times! I’ve had the sniffles and a mild nagging headache the last 3 days, both gone today.
    2 – I think my carb monster is finally asleep – absolutely no bread urges at all and, in fact, my linseed bread which is in the freezer, has been untouched since last Saturday and I’m not sure I’ll even both tomorrow!
    3 – Hair cut appt tomorrow morning booked and am thinking about going to the nail bar next door. I’ve never had my nails professionally painted. Mainly because they are short (so I can touch type).
    4 – It’s nearly the weekend, all my solicitors are out and I’m happily plodding through it… uninterrupted!
    5 – This morning started with 2C (32F), bit frosty, beautiful sunrise and mist rolling over the fields on the drive to the train station this morning.
    Greedy or what? 5 positives! Hoping you all have a lovely weekend. 🙂
    Kazzeexx

• posted by caronl
    on

Allie that sounds a heavenly birthday – so pleased you had a lovely day. Kazzee you sound well set up for a lovely weekend! My positives:
    1) Another beautiful sunny day
    2) A nice chatty lunch with friends by the borders of the Rhine. Gezellig as the Dutch would say!
    3) Managed to stick with one glass of wine and avoided all bread and chips. So still hoping for a decent outcome at weigh-in next Tuesday. (That thought has probably blown it!).

• posted by JGwen
    on

I am glad to hear you had a lovely day on your birthday, Allie, but I have never been convinced about the idea of eating fish eggs.

My positives for the last couple of days are linked.
    1. I have been having a clear out and came across a pot of coins that I had forgotten about.
    2. When I went into town today I managed to find a parking slot in the one zone where you get a full hour free parking (There is only space for 6 cars in that zone and all the rest of the on street parking has a half an hour time limit). – So I had time to call into a couple of charity shops looking for a dress than I could modify for a fancy dress event in a couple of weeks time.
    3 I didn’t find anything suitable for that but…… I came across one of those special dresses, a long black evening dress that is an unusual but very classy design so it will be timeless. Just one of those dresses that makes you go wow, I want to make an entrance into a room wearing that. It had never been worn (the labels were still in it). And it was in my target dress size. So guess what my horde of coins was spent on. 🙂 – I did try it on when I got home, so I know the number of inches I need to loose for it to fit.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

What a marvellous find, JGwen! When is your party?
    Am in bed, watching Gardeners World. Another early night.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Allie what a beautiful post. I can sense the elation the joy, happiness, and contentment and hope it endures for quite some time 🙂 My positives are much less in elevation – in fact could almost be described as travelling incognito . . . but none the less necessary to find! I, adding a couple of extras because I can! 1: A trip to – and treatment by the osteopath for a seriously painful right hip and leg took some days to yield any discernable relief . . . but any is better than none. This allowed for . . . 1a: Some orchids sourced while on a holiday to have found their residences in my garden . . . I trust Ive found sufficiently protected places to ensure they survive all seasons between which there can be some vastly opposed temps 🙂 1b: Ive started on the courtyard re-organisation . . . overgrown, weed-riddled pots with spent soil are going . . . and an old brickies wheelbarrow will be my new spinach and strawberry planter. Three large containers with Tiny Tom, Yellow pear and red grape mini tomatoes will flank the barrow, and a repurposed clothes airer will provide the scaffolding for the necessary protective netting. I have some very opportunistic creatures who get excited and well fed when I garden like this! The fancy “three-leaf-clover” shaped stacking planter will hold my herbs. . . . . and then . . . . . AH YES!!! 2: A magnificent King Parrot dropped by for a drink from the watering holes under the shrubs by the back door. He sat watching me knitting for maybe a good 30 minutes – and occasionally, I extended the odd single note short whistle his way. Imagine my surprise when in the courtyard with the pots and barrow yesterday . . a King Parrot – (and Im guessing its the some one!) – came and watched the goings on from maybe just 2 metres away!!! – and started whistling for attention. Nature gives such solace. I wont be doing much more out there today as it seems more torrential rain is expected this afternoon – so my hip is jumping for joy at that prospect! 3: My long awaited endo appointment is at hand in two days time and with a slightly elevated BSL this morning makes me consider maybe Im just a little anxious about that 🙂 Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend 🙂

on

Wooduckie, I share your love of nature! Here, we are in the warm days of Indian aummer, so typically Californian, the leaves on all the deciduous trees have turned color. The Fuyu persimmon which grows in our West field has begun to ripen it’s fruit and the leaves are no longer dark green, but tinged toward yellow.
    The quail have been in the fig tree, so the ripe figs are pocked with bird beaks and not so desirable anymore. I’m leaving them on the tree for the birds, good food for winter fattening.
    We’ve had dozens of crows recently, perching on the cedar trees by the road, caw-caw-cawing to each other and diving one-on-another in what looks like play.
    This afternoon the pistachio trees are just turning pink, and the west-setting sun shines through the branches. The pyracantha hang heavy with orange berries and the naked-lady lilies are dry and bent. Clearly winter is coming.

• posted by Natalie
    on

1. My husband was away last night. He has asthma and often snores, so I got a really good night’s sleep without him.
    2. He got home lunchtime today. I love having him back again!
    3. He had a bit of driving to do so he took the newer car that I usually drive, leaving me with the old car. No reverse camera, electric windows, keyless entry, automatic lights and wipers, inbuilt GPS… it really made me grateful for my usual transportation!

• posted by JGwen
    on

The party is in a couple of weeks time, its a wedding reception for a friend but I only know a couple of other people who have been invited. Which means its one of those occasions where I know I am going to have to give myself a strict talking to on the day to push myself into going.
    The theme for the evening is goth, so I have been alternating between buying a goth costume, blowing the dust off something in my wardrobe, because I am finally down to the size where I can wear again the clothes that I kept because I was determined to get back down to that size again, or I can use it as an excuse to go shopping to buy something new.
    The advantage of buying something new is that when I get to the point of having to nag myself to get out of the bath and get dressed and go to the event against settling back into the bath and topping up the hot water – I have the extra incentive of having spent money on an outfit. 🙂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hmmm, Goth theme! What fun! What ideas do you have in terms of clothing? I went to a punk themed new year party years ago. I had long layered hair back then so washed it in soap and didn’t rinse it out so it was stiff and I could scrunch it, back comb, and hairspray so it stood on end! Got a photo somewhere. Heavy eye make up, I loved being in ‘disguise’. Gave me a bit more confidence cos I was playing a character! I also have to give myself a talking to when it comes to going to social occasions like that. On a budget, I wore black tights, black thin jumper, over that I wore a black bin liner! Studded dog collar round my neck, studded belt, black doc martins, black nail varnish!
    Nathalie, glad you got a good night sleep, it makes all the difference doesn’t it?
    My positives today:
    1. Lazy start, in bed with coffee whilst heating kicks in!
    That’s it for now, I’ll be back later!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Happy to say today that I am on holiday ! I enjoyed a lovely lie in and feeling chilled , looking forward to our trip to Malaga on Wednesday. I will be weighing in tomorrow at the end of Week 7. I have had a couple of ‘occasions’ this Week. Our aqua gym get together was a meal of salad with duck , breaded fish with a small portion of gratin dauphinois and green beans. The portions weren’t that big and I wasn’t tempted by the chips and the bread basket. I did eat a piece of chocolate cake but as that was the first time I have been off plan for 7 weeks I felt it was ok. It was sad remembering our friend who passed away on Monday . It made me even more determined to put an end to my career , and I am definitely retiring in 2020 even if I feel I could carry on for longer. That’ s my positive !

Lots of lovely posts on here. Everyone is sounding very upbeat which is great.
    JGwen treat yourself to a new outfit and if you find something that fits the goth theme and can be worn again then it’s win win.
    I will be checking back in over the weekend x

• posted by Natalie
    on

My daughter went to a State Trial for acrobatic gymnastics yesterday, and came third overall. Through to the final! Go Jasmine! It’s in a few weeks. Very exciting. Last year she came seventh in the final so we’re hoping for an improvement but of course just being in the final again is wonderful.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I so love reading the details of nature appreciation on this thread. I indulge my imagination, and can see
    Lake Tahoe, or Australian parrots, …what ever is out there today! How exciting for your daughter, Natalie!
    She must be a wonderful athlete 🙂

I’m dancing about in the glory of high Autumn color, and the brisk temperatures make walking a pleasure!
    My sister sent me a gorgeous Russian scarf/shawl for a birthday gift acquired on a trip to St Petersburg
    last Dec. It’s an authentic Babuska print, with wonderful exorbitant fringe, and I feel all 50% of my
    Ukranian genes when I have it on! I feel like a gypsy 🙂
    #3 must be Verano’s new soup thread! It’s full of possibilities, and I can’t wait to get started…

Enjoy the day, all. Positives await, if we look for them 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning! Pleased to say it really is a good one for me after 10 days or so of not so good days. Anyway my first positive…..
    1. Good to be back in the land of the ‘nearly’ healthy.
    2. The start of a new week and the sun is shining and it looks like being a crisp autumn day.
    3. Have added a few soup recipes to the thread, which is giving me renewed enthusiasm to cook and experiment again.
    Hope everyone had a positive weekend. Have a good week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done Nathalie’s Jasmine !! Congratulations and all the best for the final. I know some of our pupils follow a Gymnastics option and the training sessions are intensive and gruelling . There’ s a lot of pressure as they have to cope with the demands of all the other subjects at the same time. So much dedication, well done Jasmine!

• posted by Sumo
    on

1 Saturday went out with grandchildren to pick your own Pumpkin, for Halloween, grandchild and OH really enjoyed carving their Pumpkins.
    2 Went to an Heritage fairground, with OH and daughter and family, where they have restored old rides and keep them all indoors, brought back memories of being a child, https://www.fairground-heritage.org.uk/ my grandchildren were shocked that I went on these rides as a child unsupervised, no Health and Safety back then. They had reduced the Chariot Chased from 98mph to about 50mph, but that’s fast enough these days .
    3 Had a good sort out of one of the bedrooms and catalogued all the Christmas presents waiting to be wrapped.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Congratulations Jasmine via Natalie! My grand-daughter’s team has qualified for National Championships of Cheer Gymnastics . . . the ones where they stand on the lower-childrens hands and get tossed in the air – hold feet above their heads and bend their backs and hold their toes like they are elastic!!! I know the thrill of just making it there – and placing would be just the icing on the cake. Good luck to ALL those competing!

Please log in or register to post a reply.