Positive Thoughts Thread Anyone?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning and thanks for all the good wishes. Just a quick post this morning with my most important positive ….
    Feeling ‘normal’ for the first time in a week. Just relieved that last week is behind me so it’s onwards and upwards from here.
    Have a good day!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Just a quick note for JGwen, not a full post. Thank you so much for your
    very generous offer of accomodations. I should thoroughly enjoy an opportunity
    to meet you in person, and see first hand your wonderful lifestyle.! I don’t know
    how much sleep might be had, though, as we seem to have a never ending list
    of things to discuss 🙂 Very kind of you!

Allie

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Alliecat, you are welcome. – Maybe we could link up via skype at some time as well?

• posted by treelady
    on

Another sunny day here in South Wales – I know, shocking, and the weather man says more to come.
    1) Spent all day setting up my new computer and transferring files, email accounts, etc, etc. I’m not tech minded, but it’s amazing what help you can find on the internet. All up and running now, my office looks like the deck of the starship enterprise with 3 screens, so pleased.
    2) have spent all evening sorting through all the plants brought with us from the old house when we moved a year ago – they got dug up and shoved into pots and neglected. Amazingly two thirds have survived, and I can now start digging them into the new garden.
    3) Tried almond milk in tea today as a dairy replacement and didn’t hate it, not overwhelmed mind, but I could get used to it.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, everyone! It’s dinner hour here in the states, so I’m just leaving a very quick post for JGwen.
    I would feel priviledged to accept your invitation to skype, so please check in here and we will arrive
    at the best method to accomplish this! I’m looking forward to it 🙂 Best dash, or we will be having
    scorched chicken for dinner!

Thanks everyone, for sharing your advice on intermittent fasting! I managed my first 18:6 today.
    Hooray 🙂

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Allie – 16/8 is brilliant. Did you find that your lunch tasted amazing after the fast? I have found that I enjoy my food much more since I started fasting.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Well done on managing your first 16:8 fast yesterday Alliecat.
    I know you have exchanged contact details with someone else on the forums so that you can skype each other which is why I suggested we start to chat that way. I am a skype novice. I have an account but haven’t used it yet. I get a bit nervous about sharing contact details on open forums, but I guess if we put in spaces within the text any robots scanning for contact details published anywhere on the internet will not pick it up.
    How did you exchange details before?

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Allie – congratulations on doing your first fast! How did you find it? 🙂

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks, All! I didn’t find the 18hr fast as difficult as I had feared. I used cream in my coffee, and
    just kept busy. YES, Krysia 🙂 My bowl of yogurt tasted incredible! I didn’t wolf it down either, but
    mindfully enjoyed every spoonful. I’ll be trying for the same today…
    JGwen, I was more than a little apprehensive to have my email address out on a public thread also,
    but it was the only way Esnecca and I could get connected. There’s nothing quite the same as being
    able to hear another’s voice. KazzUK simply saw the address, and told me she’d like to use it! Next
    came an invitation to skype. It’s great fun, JGwen! I don’t have the technical expertise to understand
    robot scan. I was more concerned that one of the unstable with a lot of “issues” that occasionally
    find their way onto the forums, might continue the personal diatribe on my email. I’m going to
    throw caution to the wind again, and include my address in this post. I never open mail unless
    I know who it’s coming from, so if I won’t be able to identify you by your address, please leave
    something for me in the “subject” line that I would know 🙂 🙂 🙂
    ollieart50@comcast.net
    Thank you all for your patience with these “arrangements”!
    Positives later today….

Allie

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Allie – I am a really fast eater but since starting the fasts have really slowed down. It is almost as though I have just discovered that food tastes absolutely amazing. An unexpected benefit of the fasting.

• posted by Sumo
    on

alliecat

I have not posted for awhile, but been reading thread

Internet robots are software programmes designed to look for certain information e.g. your e-mail address, some are armless, advertises as such, some are scammer, con artist etc, up to no good, so to fool them you can add spaces

Ollierart 50 @ Comcast.net

Robots fooled, but obviously, numb nuts who want to give you grief via e-mail can still work it out.

I have joined my daughter at Slimming World to help her, as she need to loose for an op but doesn’t think the BSD is logical? but having read there bumf they seem to use a lot of BSD methodology, so yes still on or should I say back on BSD.
    Lost 1.5 stones in last 6 weeks currently 23.5 was 26.5 last December, my first big target is 19.5 stone

Garden project still on-going, wife has decided that a 25square yard patch of garden in front of he summer house is now to be a patio, I have manually dug of the top layer, moved 1.5tons of slabs into garden now have 2 tons of gravel and sand to wheelbarrow in.

Oh the joys of summer
    Positives
    1 Its summer, I love the warmth
    2 I am a loser
    Bank holiday weekend

• posted by Sumo
    on

alliecat

forgot to add if idiots abuse your e-mail you can assign them to the junk bin and happily ignore them, remember to empty your junk folder, some e-mail providers allow you to totally block people

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

This may be my last post before my holiday, but I just had to come on. Just to give a little back ground to those who don’t know me. I used to drink 2 bottles of wine a night…most nights…in fact nearly every night…but I usually had Mondays off (don’t ask me why, I don’t know). I came on the forum and met Canadaliz, who gave me the inspiration to give up the booze. Even without Satan’s Piss it has still taken a long time for me to lose weight.

Positives.

1) Out for a meal last night, I drank a VIRGIN MOJITO! Yes! A mocktail. I was worrying that it might be difficult for an old alky like me, but no. I had a mocktail. It was a bit sweet actually, but better than booze!
    2) I lost another pound today. So 197 pounds. Woohoo!
    3) My lovely Noodle was 1 yesterday and my entire family were with us. I am the most blessed person on this planet!

Thank you all, persevere it does work and give up the alcohol it does nothing for you.

Lots of love
    Nonna Mary
    xxxx

• posted by marie123
    on

Mary,
    You know how much I admire you – that’s a fantastic achievement! What a lovely day yesterday and such a great positive to go away with – have a lovely time
    Marie
    xxx

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Congratulations Nonna, you’ve come a long way! I’ve been on the BSD for 3 weeks now and wine figured largely in my life too, an evening wasn’t complete without it. To my amazement I now feel pretty indifferent and am quite happy with a glass of water instead. So that’s a big win.
    Second big win is that in the three weeks I’ve managed to lose 6kg, going from 74 to 68. I have been very strict but also after the first week found it amazingly easy. I am just so frustrated with all those wasted years dieting when the real issue was my fondness for bread in all shapes and sizes. However that’s behind me now.
    Third win is regaining shape around my middle. In the past that has always been the last part of me to improve but here’s visible results within weeks. Something else that’s come as a surprise is the improvement in my skin. At 66 l really didn’t think anything could help, but definitely much clearer.
    And the final (for now!) is my blood pressure. It’s been bad for years and l ditched my medication some months ago because of the side effects. Today I checked it and I’m pre-hypertensive, lower than l ever was with medication. I can visualise the day when I’m within a ‘good ‘ range.
    So, tons to be celebrating and much thanks goes to everyone on the forum for being such an amazingly supportive group.
    Maggie

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello just wanted to pop in and say Hi! I haven’t posted any positives for a while but I’m inspired by all of your posts especially yours Nonna Mary.

Moving on to another phase of my life and I have so many positives to report but I will content myself with just the three …..
    1. Kitchen cupboards almost cleaned out so that’s one huge job behind me.
    2. Have packed a couple of boxes of ‘stuff’ I just couldn’t live without and they are now in transit back to the UK.
    3. Just so looking forward to this new ‘chapter’! Hopefully with lots of travel . I’m determined to get to the bottom of my ‘bucket list’. Watch this space!!!
    Hope you are all having a good day.

• posted by treelady
    on

Hello all, my positives for today:
    1) it has rained all day here in South Wales, so I don’t need to water my plant pots and veg garden tonight.
    2) Spoke with my Mum earlier to find out how her post op check up went with the cardiologist, and they are very pleased with her progress.
    3) Received my Baavet sheep’s wool duvet today that I ordered at the small holder’s show last weekend – can’t wait to get it aired and in use.

• posted by caronl
    on

1) I have enjoyed dragonflies dancing over summer meadows this morning.
    2) Got on my bike again – still a pyschological battle since I fear falling/getting stuck in tram lines!
    3) Stabilising is going ok. 16:8 is proving a good approach a couple of times a week.

Oh and it is gorgeous out there! Definitely a day for enjoying the garden from the shade.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Have been absent from the forum for a while, but great to see this thread still maintaining momentum. It’s really the only one I’ve been keeping an eye on and it’s great to see where folks find their positives each day. As I’ve been out of the loop for a while, I’ll post my three highlights for recent days.
    1) Two nights visiting another resort – very chilled and relaxing.
    2) While away spent time at some mud baths – mega relaxing!
    3) Really appreciating so much one2one time with OH. So easy to let other stuff get in the way back home and this break has allowed us to refocus on us for a change.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hey hey, Sunny! You’re still with us 🙂 Of course we will keep our thread alive…I’m saving a seat poolside just for you xx

I’m delighted that time in Turkey with your husband is allowing for the kind of elusive time together that too easily gets
    lost in the shuffle of everyday life at home! Have you found any regional clothing that you love, and are bringing home
    with you? Summer has arrived with a bang here, as usual! 32C forecast for today, uggh. Had my walk EARLY.
    I saw the most unusual sky while I was out…tinged with lavender…Magnificent 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hope the lack of recent posts on this thread is due to everyone UK resident, being too busy enjoying the unusual Bank Holiday weather.

Thanks for the warm greetings Allie. No to the regional clothing, but yes to a few pairs of shoes, a beach cover-up and some earrings so far! Not to mention homemade orange preserve, honey, some teas I can’t get on the UK and a rose bush!

Positives for today:
    1) Pleasant day out yesterday and found the lighting we want for our balcony. OH just needs to do the installation now.
    2) Touched base with family back home and all good with them.
    3) Dining with friends this evening.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning and great to hear from you SunnyB! Glad you are enjoying your trip. I realise now that I’ve not posted for a while so here are my three….
    1. Managing to not go over my ‘trigger’ weight for the moment.
    2. Enjoying the sun after a week of unseasonal cloudy and cold weather.
    3. Had a lovely Indian meal last night. Now I can enjoy chicken tikka with saag bhaji without guilt. The spinach replaces rice really well.
    Hope everyone is having a ‘positive’ time!

• posted by Theodora
    on

I’ve been out of the loop for a while too, and struggling to get back into it, kind of overwhelmed by all the posts / threads / new members I have missed. But I do have some positives

1. Got back from Africa only 3 weeks ago, but loved it so much that we have booked to go back, almost straight away. Got all the final documentation today (including tickets for the England / Springbok rugby tour 😀 and confirmation of our next safari🤗) and we leave in less than 2 weeks. Exciting!

2. It’s raining (don’t always see that as a positive) but it has been so dry recently, so the garden really needs it. I also won’t have to spend time watering my pots.

3. Like Sunny, spending time alone with o/h whilst away from all the interruptions (fun though a lot of them are) and stresses (not so much fun!) of normal life has allowed us to really reconnect and appreciate each other, so we have promised to make time for each other, instead of always letting friends and family take over our lives completely – though Hotel Theodora is already filling up fast!!😜🙄😍.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Just spent a wonderful week with our daughter for her 40th so have lots of positives
    1. So heart warming to see our daughter so very happy in her new home and new relationship after about 5 years of misery whilst trying to leave an unhappy marriage.
    2. Having a great birthday party and managed to not eat anything with carbs at a hog roast.
    3. Getting home to find my weight has remained the same – still over after 3 week cruise but not gained any more on latest visit.

Looking forward to enjoying my home and pool over the next 2 months before more visitors descend upon us – but very welcome visitors.

• posted by treelady
    on

Hi Theodora,
    Lovely to have you back with us – I hope you are well. What BSD foods did you eat while out in Africa? Or is everything BSD friendly over there?
    My positives for this week so far – 1) my chicks have hatched and the new mum is looking after the little bundles of fluff really well. 2) we’ve had lots of steady rain which will do the garden a world of good. 3) sorted my summer clothes out and re-discovered some summer tops I can now fit into.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good evening, all! I’ve taken a few days away from the community, after feeling physically sickened to read a very self
    involved, negative couple of posts referring to me on a newbie thread. In the process, I totally missed my 2 year anniversary
    on the BSD! How did I let that happen? 🙂
    I’ve just watched a wonderful program on public broadcasting here, from London, called “The British Blues Explosion”.
    Lots of wonderful music, and as I was gyrating around the kitchen while preparing dinner, I was thinking of you, Marie123!
    Are you still dancing with me? Have any of you heard of Joe Boncumassa?
    Have a glorious Sunday, everyone 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Oh Allie, congratulations on your two year anniversary! That is wonderful news and I will follow you in July with my two year anniversary too! I cannot believe how quickly time has flown by but this has been a fantastic change for me and I know also for you. You go sister!
    On the other issue, please just let the negative part of it pass you by — you are a very valuable part of the BSD family and your history here has earned you the right to share your important viewpoint —
    When I read those kinds of posts, I remind myself that these people are very unhappy with themselves and very defensive — I was like that too, so I understand that this is a huge step out of our defensive way of acting/ thinking to embrace a new and better future.
    Probably it feels like a “push” instead of a “pull” to them — they just might not be ready to make the changes necessary — but don’t take it personally — keep posting, your advice helps many many people.
    Every now and then I read a post that just makes me cringe — I’m not sure if people understand how their texts come across.
    We can only offer a hand — I know it comes from your heart.
    Julia

• posted by Inka13
    on

I’m hoping it’s ok to post on this thread, I have had a tough time with eating lately and was feeling terrible.
    I’ve just had to start working two jobs and as my husband is only home on weekends, I also do all the kids school and sports stuff, housework, pets, laundry blah blah, and I know this is a common story for many of us!
    But I was getting to the end of the day so tired and stressed that I have let carb creep back in as I grabbed something quick on the way home!!! There’s so little time for the food prep at the moment which I know is crucial for bsd success.
    I have been in despair over this and it has tripped me up before.
    My HUGE positive though, is that I sat myself down and stayed up watching all the youtube videos of and re reading some of those wonderful books that are mentioned on here and I felt that moment where it all coalesced again in my brain and I felt that determination and excitement fill me again.
    I also re – read and reabsorbed so much of the great posts and information on these forums and felt uplifted.
    I may fall off the wagon again a million times but I will get back on a million times and each time I’m stronger.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Alliecat,

Lets start off with the most important part of your news, your 2 year celebrations. – Well done, have you chosen your song for a dance around the kitchen for all of the tribe on the forums as we celebrate this achievement.
    ————————–
    I know which posts you were talking about and I was a little suspicious of them so I did a little bit of research. I wasn’t going to mention my suspicions on the forum until I saw your post this morning. I am so sorry that you feel upset by the experience. – I take it completely differently and feel it was a positive experience. Let me explain my logic….

I was a little puzzled by the posters repeated claims that we should be following the advice of a particular Dr and not going low carb. In other cases where people have access to research to back up their points of view they share links, I wondered why this poster was only giving name checks for a Doctor she thought was brilliant. So I googled the Doctors name. – Turns out she is not a doctor who has published podcasts, or other free sources of advice. Her business is an on-line diet counselling service which you have to pay to join or receive any advice.

I think we should take this experience as a positive. – I think we have had a troll trying to market an alternative diet service through the forum to newbies who are struggling. I use the term troll because their marketing technique was trying to partner with newbies and recommend the services of this doctor rather than being open about their aims. The only way this troll could cope with the presence on the forum of kind hearted people like yourself Alliecat who have not only been successful in loosing weight but also share their experience in maintaining the weight loss is by being negative about the presence of the people demonstrating success of this WoE, and then storming off in a huff when that didn’t work.
    Lets take this experience as
    1. A huge pat on the back for how popular and active these forums are. – The only reason for spending the time to try to market a different diet program on a forum is because its a busy forum with lots of reach.
    2. Be grateful to the kind hearted professors researching insulin and publishing free resources to help educate people on how to tackle weight problems.
    3. Dr MM and his team for providing a free forum where we can share our experiences rather than only promoting the BSD to people who can afford to subscribe to his online version.

• posted by Verano
    on

Happy 2nd anniversary Allie! Sorry if there have been some negative posts. I think you did the right thing in taking a few days away. I haven’t read the posts you refer to but there are always going to be conflicts when you have a ‘community’ of such diverse people, different cultures, different countries, different aims and different views. As far as I’m concerned I take on board the information that I find ‘hits the spot’ for me. The rest I often take with a pinch of salt but do try not to cause conflict, although I’m not always successful! The written word can so easily be misconstrued.

Anyway the important thing is that you have put it behind you and are posting again.
    So to my one real positive for the moment……
    I will be celebrating my 2nd BSD anniversary on July 5th and consider myself to be part of a small group of people who have lost weight, gained health and are here after 2 years still keeping on keeping on……..

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Happy anniversary from me too Allie 🤗
    I thought you handled that very elegantly and with dignity, I was really impressed.
    JGwen, I hadn’t thought of trolling but I think you’re right. I just put it down to stupidity on the basis that it seemed perfectly plausible!
    I’ll be more aware in future, but it does really annoy me to see people exploiting others good will and friendly guidance. They’re only so offensive because they want you to respond in kind, and when you don’t they’ve failed.
    Have a lovely day everyone,
    can’t begin to say how much you’ve helped me xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Well done Inka13, I am glad to hear you have found the positive in your current situation, looking again at the published research and letting it seep in. Its not going to be easy to change eating habits of a life time. We are all on a journey to change our eating habits for the rest of our lives and there will be times we need to dust ourselves off after stumbling.

I was re reading an article as well today which brought up one technique that suddenly made sense. Work out in advance items which are bulky (so you feel like you have eaten) but are low nutrient. _ I guess that celery will be the one that springs to everyone mind but there are other options. I quite like the crunch of radishes, and I know that others talk about having boiled eggs in the fridge on stand by, but they are all things that its easy to have on standby for the moments when you just need to reach for something.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Interesting theory on the postings, JGwen — the ideas of that poster were oddly presented — I always forget the trolls under the bridges. And Inka, I know how hard it is when it our lives get too busy — I am so glad your re-reading gave you new energy. I am still re-reading all the relevant books/research to keep on track too. It is invaluable!

• posted by alliecat
    on

For all of my friends here, deep and heartfelt thanks for leaving such insightful and kind replies for me to discover
    this morning. I appreciate you all so much 🙂 Last evening as I was getting prepared for bed, it was bothering me
    that I had allowed something distasteful to be still ricocheting around in my brain 2 days after the fact. I had to
    have a heart to heart with myself and asked what I was willing to do to get past it an restore myself to my usual
    state of gratitude? I realized the answer almost at once. I just knew that sharing it here with you was what I most
    wanted to do, and that fear of looking vulnerable was the only thing holding me back! Old habits do die hard,
    don’t they? Julia, JGwen, Verano and Maggie, you have instantaneously restored my perspective 🙂 I recognize
    the wisdom here, and JGwen, your lesson for the day about trolls could very possibly be the one thing that eluded
    me. There were ODD things present with the series of posts. I shall spend the remainder of the day awash with
    high spirits for the gift of your friendship.

xoxo
    Allie

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Allie Many many congratulations on your 2 year anniversary. And so pleased to hear that you have put those rather odd posts behind you. I kept puzzling over why the person had joined the group if she didn’t agree with the fundamental approach. Thank you JGwen for the possible explanation! Anyway onwards and downwards, or horizontal if you are stabilising!

Positives today are a slight struggle:
    Lovely walk with the dog …until she rolled in poo, mud and a rotting fish.
    Enjoyed the garden, until I ricked my back.
    Booked our autumn holiday .. no caveat!
    But seriously it has been a glorious day and I can get used to eau de poisson and some minor discomfort! Have a great week everybody.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Allie – congratulations on your 2 year anniversary. A real cause for celebration as you have done so well.
    Thank you also for staying on this forum and sharing with us all that you have learnt in those two years and not swanning off into the sunset because you have achieved your goals. I think that is what is so lovely about this forum that there is a mix of new people and people who have experienced all the ups and downs of this WOE and have overcome the challenges – or who are in the process of overcoming the challenges.

That’s what really helped me in the beginning – as a new person on this forum I could follow in the footsteps of those who were further along on this journey to better health. I am still learning and still progressing in my knowledge of this WOE – thanks to this fantastic forum.

JGwen – thank you for your insight. I do think that you are highly likely to be right.

Actually – I think my post does qualify as a positive thought – probably at least 3 positives.

On another positive note – we had a lovely day walking in the sunshine with our dogs at High Lodge – the Forestry Commission’s premier recreation site in the East of England. We walked for miles through the forest and then sat outside at the Cafe and the sun continued to shine. As usual – everyone tucked into sausage rolls and I was positively saintly with my cup of coffee.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Allie, my friend, huge congratulations on your 2 year BSD anniversary. Something well worth celebrating, and forget any negative posts. You are definitely one of our stalwarts, and a huge inspiration to us all – keep up the good work. We love you xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Bit late to the party, Allie, but hug congrats! Sorry you have experienced the discomfort and anguish of negative posts. Thankfully it doesn’t happen too often on our forum, but the effect it has when it does happen is perhaps all the more impactful because of that. Like hoards of others, I am grateful you have decided to stay with us regardless. You are undoubtedly a king-pin in our community and the forum would definitely be poorer if we were to lose you.

Can’t believe our time in Turkey is now more than halfway through, but we still have a few weeks to go yet. Recently suffered a two day stomach bug, but if I want! to find a positive from that, it would be that it’s sort of given me the opportunity of a kind of ‘system reboot’, as I had an enforced 44hr fast of sorts as well as what can only politely be called something of a clear out!

Aside from that, a few positives for me at the moment would be:
    1) a few cooler nights this last week making sleeping easier.
    2) sending time with our Turkish friends over the w/e.
    3) planned trip for today, to Bafa Lake, which is beautiful, unspoilt and peaceful.
    Will catch up with this thread again soon, meanwhile keep posting all your wonderful positives everyone!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Many congratulations from me also, Allie. xxxxx I’ve not been on the forums this weekend so apologies for only just seeing your post. JGwen is right, a troll, so think no more about it my friend. You are much loved and valued here! xxx

• posted by Inka13
    on

Thank you JGwen and Californiagirl, your supportive words meant so much! All the more so because of how much I enjoy and admire your posts and the help you give everyone.
    Two good days in row, and my lovely husband has bought me a multicooker to help with meal prep so definitely no more excuses now!

• posted by marie123
    on

Allie
    I’ve just come on to say huge congratulations on your BSD second year anniversary. As everyone says, you are one of the stalwarts on this forum, offering fantastic support day in and day out. Long may that continue xx

Yes, I’m definitely still with you gyrating in the kitchen – I was blasting out Bruce Springsteen ‘Dancing in the Dark’ earlier. Btw, I’d never heard of Joe Boncumassa but what a revelation – I love his music. It’s reminiscent of someone else (a band?) but I can’t quite work out who. I’ll have to play it to the OH, he might know who I’m thinking of.

Inka
    Nice to see you posting – and a massive well done for that time spent re-motivating yourself. xx It’s very early hours here in the UK, so it’s either asmr (what was that great phrase Nonna Mary used?) or Melvin Bragg for me right now (or a nice big sneaky cup of tea!)

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Good morning, friends
    We had an external speaker come in to talk to us about diabetes yesterday lunch time. This lady, Katy has set up a local diabetes charity. Our firm is doing a drive towards wellbeing in the workplace and home life and it consists of various sessions on mindfulness, stress management, etc and is providing massages, yoga etc for anyone interested. I went along to the talk yesterday out of curiosity and wanted to see what news/advice would be talked about, particularly because of what we know! I was much relieved to see her food triangle was inverted (upside down) and the top wide green part was all our BSD friendly foods and the bottom tiny red corner was bread, sweets, chocs, processed food! She spoke our way! I was so pleased I nervously took the microphone during the Q&As at the end and asked her when she thought the government guidelines, and in particular, NHS advice for diabetics, would change and catch up with what she was saying. She said it would be a long time but things are changing very slowly – she, along with many others, were getting out into the workplaces and schools and colleges and spreading the word that way. A lot more was said, but that was my one big positive for the week! 🙂
    HOORAY!!! Kazzeexxx

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

KazzUK – that is a huge positive. Well done for standing up and asking your question – it must have been quite scary to stand up in front of all those people. It’s good to hear that people, like Katy with her local diabetes charity, are working to spread the word and that things are changing – even though it is a very slow change.

It’s great to think that we are part of this change – we are the proof that this WOE works and hearing about our own successes will give other people who are struggling with weight issues or diabetes hope that these issues can be overcome.

• posted by Verano
    on

Kazz so good to hear that news is finally filtering down. This really is ‘positive’ news!

• posted by KazzUK
    on

It was scary – I was red in the face and not sure I came across very articulately! You know, a colleague of mine was saying that her parents and all her aunties and uncles all have T2. She’s from Bangladesh and whilst she’s generally aware and careful about the food she eats, she cannot for the life of her get her older family members to listen, to get them to ditch the high carb rice, chapatis, breads etc. She’s quite frightened for them. What a nightmare!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I know just how scary that can be Kazz. A couple of years ago when I was taking French lessons I had to give a 10 minute talk about a hobby, holiday, interest – you know the sort of thing – to get us speaking in public in a foreign language. The only thing obsessing me at that time was the discovery of this diet. I printed off the NHS triangle (ladders of foods) which is carb laden and then I found one from the Australian Nutrition Foundation with fruits and veg on the bottom rung (eat most of and, although not fully BSD the carbs were on the next level. Not only did I do the talk totally in French there were so many questions I was on the stage for 50 minutes. Hopefully some of the people listening would have taken notice, several said they had relatives with diabetes and would be telling them. My husband has banned me from ‘preaching’ when we are out but some many people ask me why I am not eating the bread etc and I just have to tell them. Unfortunately, I was reading a diabetic leaflet in my doctor’s waiting room and the advice here is eat 5 portions of carbs daily. So my positive here is that my doctor approves of my diet and I hope he secretly suggests it to other patients with diabetes.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

S-G – that’s scary on a whole other level, speaking in a foreign language and answering questions! 🙂 Phew, I bet you felt good afterwards though? Katy seemed to think that those on board with this way, would promote it regardless of their guidelines but there will always be some that follow the guidelines by the letter or are just not convinced and think their way is the right way. Oh, that was the other thing… 160 amputations a week from diabetes! You never hear that on the news anywhere.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi all, it’s a beautiful Spring day here, and I don’t want to resurrect my lamentations from a few days ago, other
    than to tell Marie, Kazz, Sunny, Theo and Krysia how blessed I feel to know you all. I’ll be fueled by your kind words
    for weeks to come 🙂
    I just love to hear of your travels, and I think that you have a much healthier attitude of how necessary leisure time
    is to one’s wellbeing than Americans do. Those of us on the east coast here tend to be too driven, and I don’t think
    that’s a good thing…
    Positives for today;
    1) Saw a beautiful doe munching leaves at the edge of the woods first thing this morning! I didn’t know any
    lived there.
    2) My orchid has 6 new buds! The common name for the phaleonopsis is “moth orchid”. I’d like to get a white
    one to keep her company 🙂

Positive thoughts and positive deeds,

Allie

• posted by carothomas
    on

I’ve feeling a lot mopey and sorry for myself for a while, so I’m going to focus on some positives.

1) After being diagnosed with high blood pressure back in March and being prescribed medication, last week the doctor agreed that I could stop taking it as my blood pressure has plummeted since I adopted the BSD! I’m thrilled. She’s amazed at how quickly it changed!
    2) Today the sun is shining 🙂
    3) I’m getting back into the routine of walking after missing it due to feeling unwell. 9.3K steps yesterday, I intend to get at least 10K today.

Caro
    x

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi Marie 123, thank you, it feels good to be back 😀 and so lovely to see your friendly message!
    Now what was that phrase?? I’ll have to go back and look or it’ll be that keeping me up tonight!! How are things with you? I hope you’re having an easy week!
    Inka

Please log in or register to post a reply.