Over 32 weeks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Ay Caramba – my granddaughters love both Eton Mess and chocolate brownies!

Verano – just checked back. It was around week 16 that my fasting bloods were under 5, and around week 32 that they were under 4. I was never on Metformin, despite the efforts of many medics, and it was the threat of it hanging over my head that started me on the BSD. HbA1c in December, just before I started the BSD was 9.6. Another that they sneakily did in January (after about a month on BSD) was 8.7. April it was 5.5 and the most recent, in July, was 5.2.

Love your suggestions – I could possible decide on ‘The eagle has landed’ ๐Ÿ˜ƒ. But a few weeks to think about it!

Thanks Imogen – there are so many shops for everything and anything in York ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Part of the problem is that I’m struggling to find anything I like in the clothes shops at the minute. Either the colour, size or style is wrong. I’ve never liked blouses/tops with breast pockets. After years of wearing them I don’t want elasticated waists. And so it goes on. And the colours that are in most stores are definitely not for me ๐Ÿ˜ฑ But I will persevere. If I find even one item next week, it will be a victory๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Thanks Igorasusual – I did visit lots of the ‘younger’ shops briefly when I was in London. One assistant was handing something out but completely ignored me. Obviously I didn’t fit her expectation of customer profile. Or else I was wearing my cloak of invisibility๐Ÿ˜ฑ Again! But next week I’ll have time to browse properly.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Imogen
    Great that your blood tests are in the normal range….feels a great boost. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Super impressed that you have lost 45lbs in 18 weeks and feel you are halfway there. Fantastic results.

Keep going everyone.

Igorasusual I will try Zara for shopping sometime…….isn’t one locally though.

One thing I am able to do now…. is send off for stuff on the internet because I am a more ‘normal’ size and shape. I’m a bit more confident it will fit.

• posted by Verano
    on

I’m amazed at you blood levels . I presume when you were at 9.6 the doctors were desperate to get you on metformin . Just goes to show how you can get your Hba1c down with this eating plan.

My cholesterol has always, for as long as I can remember, been 5.2. My doctor plagued me for years to take statins but I kept refusing. 9months ago it dropped to 4.5 and the in April it was4.8. The only change I think I made was to start having Greek yogurt (low fat) every morning!!

Sorry wandering. My point is really that I just accepted metformin without any fight and my Hba1c was only just over 7. With metformin it’s usually around 6.8!

When I go back in October, if my Hba1c has dropped I’ll certainly be having a long chat with the doctor!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I’ve had many ‘interesting’ discussions with doctors and nurses in different areas about Metformin! ๐Ÿ˜ณ I’d heard too much about side-effects to just give in. And I’d read that the effect it had is minimal. Just didn’t seem worth the hassle. Also, lots of tablets I’ve been prescribed for different things cause other problems, especially the newer ones. ๐Ÿ˜ฑ I can’t take statins. Tried. Twice. Not again. That’s another interesting conversation ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I’m fortunate in that I used to work with doctors some years ago, so I’m not intimated by them.

The gp here (who I’ve never seen) put on my computer records that I was being ‘over treated’ earlier this year. When I calmed down I insisted that a note be added that I was on no treatment, but the results were through my hard work. It certainly doesn’t inspire confidence when something like that happens!

• posted by Verano
    on

I really didn’t know there were many side effects of metformin. I did/do suffer from a little nausea occasionally but nothing other than that.

My husband started taking it a couple of months ago after being pre diabetic for quite a number of years . I’m not sure that he should be taking it at all. He takes so much other stuff. I think he needs a medicine review! He’s lost his appetite since starting on metformin, and he’s not overweight. It should have been me!!!

We have a very good practice. Mainly female GPs who do seem quite receptive to new ideas. When I told my GP that I was taking turmeric tablets and they seemed to be helping she promptly told be about her Thai cookery course!

I certainly do wonder about the effectiveness of Metformin and I will ask how much higher they think my Hba1c would be without it!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Be interested to hear what your doctor says. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Because I’ve moved around the country (London, Devon, Cornwall, North Tyneside and now County Durham) I’ve had lots of different doctors, with differing attitudes to diabetes management.

I was in London when originally diagnosed and they provided all the testing equipment. After a year they told me I wasn’t diabetic after all. The oral GTT had been done incorrectly! A year later I’d moved to Devon, had new patient tests and guess what? Type 2 diabetic. They wouldn’t prescribe any testing equipment and wanted me on Metformin, statins and bp meds. I only had the bp meds

Then a move to Cornwall – more of the same. No testing equipment prescribed. I tried statins, stopped them and will not have them again.

North Tyneside originally prescribed test strips, then stopped. Now Durham – again no test strips prescribed. Kept mentioning Metformin and statins.

When they wouldn’t prescribe test strips, I was fortunate enough to be able to afford them – before the days of cheap test strips.

Over the years I’ve learned that, despite what ‘they ‘ said about being proactive in my care, I had to find my own way through. Despite them, not because of them.

So in December when Metformin was again mentioned, Imsaid I was trying the BSD.

The rest, as they say, is history ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Frog
    on

errm – the rest has disappeared in your case Lynne!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

They don’t get rid of me that easily Frog ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

There might be a lot less of me, but I’ll still stand up to’ the medics! Think alarms must ring there when I have an appointment! LOL

• posted by Verano
    on

Fascinating!! Over what period of time were all these ‘diagnoses’?

So every practice wanted you on Metformin but you resisted. I know several people who have a bad experience with Statins and strangely enough they are all women. Maybe our bodies process them differently.

What’s your opinion of self testing? I never have but since joining this forum it has crossed my mind on several occasions. I just don’t want to become obsessive, especially when I’ve read that some monitors are really quite inaccurate. It’s bad enough obsessing about weight jumping on the scales every morning!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning Verano

I think the original (mis)diagnosis was 2006 or 2007. As I said, the nurse did the oral GTT incorrectly. A year later the GP was so surprised at my ‘control’ that he reviewed my records and found the error. As a result the records of all the diabetics at the practice were checked to see if it had happened to others. I should add that this was not the only error involving me at that practice. Eventually I got a call from the GP asking me to make a statement because the nurse in question was appearing before her professional body.

The next diagnosis was in 2009. One of the new patient blood tests needed repeating. Guess which one LOL Again, I was fortunate because the result was just over 7, so only just in the diabetic range. Even so the medics were eager to push pills at me.

I’ve worked with doctors and know my way around research papers so when a (locum) GP suggested I check some research I did. And immediately decided he had no chance of putting me on the regime ha had suggested!

At the end of the day, it is my body and I’ve had it now for 66 years so I know how it reacts in different circumstances. There are medicines I can take and some I can’t. I’ve suffered from bouts of clinical depression over the years and found a drug that helped. More recently, when I saw a GP for depression he asked what helped. When I told him, he refused to prescribe it. As did another GP in a different area some time later. The one that worked is old-fashioned. But I suffer bad side-effects from the ones they are willing to prescribe.

Self-testing – I’m all for it. When I was diagnosed in 2009 I decided that was the way forward for me. I tested every morning, first thing, then before and 2 hours after each meal, then at bedtime. I needed to know how different foods affected my blood sugar. I recorded everything in a notebook. Once I knew how a food affected me I could cut down on testing until it was morning and evening, and after new foods or if I felt ill. Fast forward to BSD – at the beginning I tested through the day as before. Then as the figures started to drop I tested morning and evening, then morning only. Now the fasting level is consistently under 4, I only do random tests. Before the BSD I really struggled with my fasting blood sugar, it rarely came under 7!

For me, testing is a useful tool. I think the meters from big companies are reasonably accurate. I’ve had no issues with them. In the UK you can normally get one free of charge from the manufacturer because they make their money on the test strips. But I thought it was a worthwhile cost because it helped me. But I understand what you mean about obsessing, because in the past I’ve found myself trying to combine two different diets! I soon learned that trying to combine the plans of either of the main slimming clubs with low carb eating just didn’t work. So when I started the BSD it was just that, but trying to forget everything the slimming clubs had taught wasn’t easy at the start, but I stuck with it ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Sorry for the (very) long answer. Hope it helps.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you very much for your really comprehensive answer! Much appreciated.

Certainly food for thought. I think I will wait until after my next review with my GP and depending on the outcome will rethink the testing question. I’m not planning on going back to ‘bad’ carbs again. Although, ‘Never say never’, as they say, so we’ll see if I can add the odd slice of bread in the future but certainly not at the moment!

I think you are absolutely right about trying to combine diets … it just doesn’t work. BSD just makes so much sense to me and most people seem to feel so much better for it, apart from the weight loss part. I think any of us who have been around a while and have tried every diet under the sun have found it difficult to take the ‘full fat’ mantra on board. In fact without bread etc we probably have less fat than when eating ‘low fat’ , but at least it good fats.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

One thing that’s fascinated me is the individual nature of diabetes. While I know that ‘one-size’ definitely doesn’t fit all, it still surprised me how different people can tolerate different foods. My son is type 2 (diagnosed after me, with higher BG levels). He’s on Metformin plus another tablet and was threatened with insulin. He did change his eating and drinking habits slightly. But he still eats lots of carbs. He eats foods that I certainly can’t.

• posted by Verano
    on

Yes, I guess we’re all different when it comes to our reactions to foods as well as medication. The last thing I want is additional medication. I’m hoping to dump Metformin not add to it!!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Verano.

The only reason the docs obcess about our cholesterol is because pharmaceutical companies have pushed statins for years it is worth mega bucks to pharmacy and medics, it’s easy to monitor as well. Unless you have a familial tendency to have very high cholesterol, just concentrate on eating healthily, it will resolve all that, also the measurements that surgerys still work on are out of date, as they are with blood sugar control. So don’t worry, just focus on Mediterranean diet.๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

I wouldn’t have statins even if I had had a heart attack, my body knows what to do if I give it the right fuel.๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Jan

I’m sure you’re right. It’s also possible that GPs have to be seen to be offering statins. My doctor, who is really excellent, did all the computer tests but still couldn’t get me into the ‘at risk’ group. As I said to her, the cholesterol limit had been 5.2 for as long as I could remember and my cholesterol had always been at that figure. The fact that the powers to be, maybe with a push from the pharmaceutical industry, brought the healthy limit down to 4.5 was irrelevant as far as I was concerned as my level was still steady.

I really wouldn’t have statins mainly because I know a few women who have actually been made ‘ill’ by them. I have walking difficulties so the last thing I need are painful and aching joints!!!! Have enough to contend with as it is.

My real goal is to dump Metformin. My husband started on them a few months ago. I don’t think he needs them. Although I’ve not mentioned this eating plan to him he has actually decided he can live without potatoes and rice, probably because I don’t cook them anymore!!!. Bread etc will take a little longer before the penny drops. He’s a TOFI!!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Remember my diabetes nurse? She who was really supportive and telling patients about the BSD?

Well …….

Tonight I was speaking to someone who has just been to see the same nurse for her annual mot results and she was told she is borderline diabetic. Just to add to her other health issues. So – what advice was she given?

She was told to watch how much sugar she eats. If she wants a biscuit or slice of cake to just have half. And not to eat tomatoes.

At my last visit I thought the nurse was on board with the BSD. But now …!

Feels like I was wasting my time talking to her!๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

• posted by Frog
    on

what on earth is wrong with tomatoes, Lynne??!
    (leaving aside the idiotic time wasting nurse!)

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Captainlynne, Sometimes people come out of a consultation with the wrong end of the proverbial stick. I once nursed a woman who was in for a hysterectomy and the doctor explained in great detail what he was going to do. When he left I asked if there was anything she was not sure about and she said ‘no, fine, as long as I can still have more children’ dooh, but that’s what happens. Your ears turn to cotton wool and your brain goes fuzzy. My mum was T2 and swore for years that the doctor gave her a prescription for 7 Mars Bars a week on the NHS. My brother, who is a nurse, said the doctor told her to keep a Mars Bar in the fridge cut into portions JUST IN CASE SHE HAD A HYPO. I know there are nurses as reported on here who still tell people to my Mars Bars but I think that is all they hear. Anyway, why would a nurse say not to eat tomatoes. It is possible your friend might have acid reflux or something similar and that was just part of the advice.

If this is not the case make sure you drill it into her when you next see her. We must keep banging the drum. I have just read the NHS guidelines for weight loss and they recommend low carbs and, although they didnt say very low cal, they did say all the things said about rapid weight loss (put it all back on etc) is a myth. They also recognise that the high carbs for diabetics is still being advised but is now very unwise. This led to a link to the American Journal of Medicine which also recommends low carbs, so do not fret, the message is getting through. Slooooooowly.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

sunshine-girl, I do know that people sometimes don’t hear what’s really been said, or focus on just one bit of what they hear.

But a few months ago I invited a health educator to speak to my ladies’ group. She knows about the BSD, and we’d been talking about it. She was interested and could see its effectiveness. But when she started to talk t the group it was the party line about carbs. The ladies know what I’m doing, what I’m not eating. So listening to her was difficult. It was the ‘everybody needs carbs at every meal’ mantra.

Sometimes I really do despair about our health care professionals – or at least some of them.

I worked with medics for several years, some were great and others less so. So I do know they vary, and everyone has a bad day. But said nurse told me she was handing out BSD info to patients. Apparently she did not do that in this case. Which makes me wonder ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

At least I’m not due to see her again for a few months – unless I want to go in to see her. I think I’ll wait!

Might feel better after my few days away – I needed a break so as I said earlier, 3 nights away in York ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Need to get my head back in gear after a more stressful than usual few weeks. Nothing BSD related. I’d got the days off booked, but only decided on Friday to go away. B&B booked. Train tickets booked. Just need to pack a few things tomorrow.

BSD wise – cooked breakfast at B&B. I usually eat a cooked breakfast, so that’s ok – just watch portion size, avoid toast etc. I don’t normally eat during the day, so that shouldn’t be a problem. In the evening I may find somewhere to eat, or I might just buy something in the supermarket to take back to my room, depending on what I fancy doing. And Imshould get lots of extra walking done, going round all the shops. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by TimeForChange
    on

Now over 32 week line – not bad for a diet that was going to last 8 weeks. Thank you to Drs Mosley and all the contributors here who have spurred me on. In the 32 weeks I’ve lost 53 lbs and my BMI now 22 and a bit. BP at the low end of normal and BS generally in the normal range. I still can’t eat carbs without a spike but I am in control and have no desire to go back to bad habits. I’ve been fighting my weight for 20 years but now know I have a chance of winning. Thank you all.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome TimeForChange. Great results ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ’

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi TIMEFORCHANGE! What impressive results! Well done x

on

CaptainLynne, I think your nurse is going to be the one who looks foolish. We are all losers here because we are all winners, or should that be the other way round.

I too have had a break, family arrived 3 weeks ago, drinking and eating, but not me (maybe a little wine), family left and left grandchildren with us, days out, days away at theme park, family back to collect the boys, more meals out. So hard but I have kept faith with the carbs, maybe not so much the calories.

I am from Yorkshire and love York, you will enjoy it. Have a good time. Stuff the critics.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning sunshine-girl

It’s a long time since I visited York. The last visit was in November 2013 for our graduation ceremony in York Minster! (Yes, I was 63 at the time!๐Ÿ˜ฑ). It was very, very windy that day!

On that visit I found the Christmas shop but had completely forgotten it until a few days ago. Looking forward to bring able to spend time just exploring ๐Ÿ˜ƒ If I find something I want to buy, that’s fine. If not, that’s fine too. Just time to do what I want, when I want ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I’ve just picked up crochet again after a few years away from it doing patchwork and quilting (not touched that for months). The rhythm of crochet is great for relaxing and needs less thought than the patchwork. It’s also easier on the arthritic hands when they are hurting – helps keep them moving ๐Ÿ˜ƒ And I know there are good wool shops in York. And I think a visit to Duttons is very possible๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Enjoy the Bank Holiday ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Cassandra021
    on

Hope you don’t mind a new joiner just 1 week in but our height and weight is so similar (your starting weight!) I thought you would be a good person to follow! 1st week went well but I have at least 4 stone to loose and was wondering if it is ok to keep going after 8 weeks or do we have to move to the 5:2? Based on what you say, obviously not!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Cassandra021 and welcome.

No problem staying on the 800 BSD after 8 weeks. You will find lots of us ‘old timers’ in various stages of our journey who are well past the 8 week line.

Please let us know your progress.

on

Cassandra, dont know who your post is meant for (same height and weight) but in answer to your question. Many people repeat the 8 week diet and many of us are starting that process tomorrow in a thread called ‘2nd 8 weeks starting 30th August, there is another thread called Starting Monday 29th August, Anyone Want to Join me. Browse and dip in where ever you like we are all friendly.

• posted by Frog
    on

That’s a thought Sunshine Girl
    I haven’t exactly stopped BSD, but have got a lot more lax – I’m still losing weight, but much more slowly.
    Maybe it’s time to get back to basics again!

• posted by Cassandra021
    on

Sorry for any confusion, I meant I am roughly 5 foot 2, I found the numbers Captain Lynn mentioned made sense to me. I started at 14 stone 2 months ago on a 1200 diet with running 3 times a week and I was managing around 1 lb off a week but it was torture. I started last Monday and lost 5 lbs this week bringing me down to 13 stone 3lbs. I am hoping to have breast reduction surgery but have to be in the normal BMI to be eligible, that means getting down to 10 stone 6! Loving the programme so far, haven’t been hungry and have even managed to kick the coffee habit, down from 6 cups a day to1 in the morning

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi everyone

I’m on holiday in York for a few days.

Managed to find a few items of clothing (still to be tried on!) – underwear, a top and a pencil skirt. Shops visited today range from Designer Outlet Mall, through M&S to Sainsburys and Asda. And many stopping points inbetween

Yesterday I walked 10,357 steps or 7.24 km (4.5 miles). Today it’s 14,755 steps or 10.29 km (6.4 miles).

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh lovely,LYNNE..well done on tracking down some new togs! And getting plenty of steps in at the same time! Wow over six miles! I hope yr tootsies arent sore!
    What are you gonna have for yr dindins tonight? Dining out or bought something to eat back at yr BnB?
    What plans for tomoz? The Christmas shop?x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Yowzer

Nothing fancy, but a start. Feet and back aching ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ So back at B&B relaxing. The receptionist asked how I’d got on and was amazed when I told her where I’d been.

Going out again tonight is not an option. Stopped at Pret for their Chef’s Italian Salad (345 cals and 8.2 carbs without the Dijon dressing). Last night it was a tomato, cucumber, olives and feta cheese salad from M&S. Would have had the Pret Mozzarella salad today, but just fancied the one I bought.

It hardly seems worth going out to eat anyway – I eat so little I’d probably just be having a starter!

Tomorrow – depends if the things I bought at the Designer Mall fit. Trying them on later. If they don’t, back they go. Otherwise exploring York again. Need to be a bit careful with money because I might have to go to London next week – can’t confirm until I get home to my diary on Friday. I really should coordinate my paper diary and my online diary! But the Christmas shop could well be on my walk ๐Ÿ˜ƒ x

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Enjoy yr evening LYNNE ..isnt it lovely being on holiday!๐ŸŒปโญ๏ธ๐ŸŒปโญ๏ธ๐ŸŒปโญ๏ธ

• posted by captainlynne
    on

๐Ÿ˜ƒ will be watching Bake Off later.

• posted by Verano
    on

Me too!!!! Hope you’re having a good time …. shopping is always good!!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Loss of 2 pounds this week. Total loss now 90 pounds – meaning I’ve lost 40% of my starting body weight.

Only 1 pound to lose until Imreach my target weight of 9st 7lb, and top of my healthy BMI.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hello Cptlynne

Wow wow wow. Huge bouquet of your favourite flowers…please imagine. Amazing and exceptional in your role as leader here. I thank you.
    Nettle NZ.

• posted by Verano
    on

Great!! And you’ve been away!
    Almost there and what a fabulous achievement.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Thats Incredible CAPTAINLYNNE! You must feel fantastic! X

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks everyone.

Appreciate the flowers Nettle๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Verano – I think all the walking I did helped! 4.5 miles, 6.39 miles and 6.36 miles. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I do, Yowzer. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ But I have to say it feels strange to be so close!

Watch this space. Looks like I’ll be starting a new thread in the not too distant future๐Ÿ˜ฑ

• posted by captainlynne
    on

*waves*. Morning ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Unofficial weigh this morning shows …… *drum roll please* ……. another pound gone.

So this morning I have reached the top of my healthy BMI at 9st 7lb. A total loss to date of 6.5 stone, 91 pounds, 41.28kg. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I’ll wait until my official weighing day next Saturday to start my new ‘maintenance’ notebook, recording as I have been doing just so I know what’s happening and can deal with any problems as soon as they start.

I don’t mind if I lose a few more pounds, but don’t really want to go below 9st. My thoughts at the moment are to stay between 9st and 9st 7lb. That keeps me in healthy BMI, and gives me a little wriggle room. And sets boundaries for me.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi CaptainThin
    ๐ŸŽบ๐ŸŽบ๐ŸŽบ๐ŸŽบ

No drums in the line up, however I think TRUMPETS will do the trick.

N.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Photo time. With apologies to those who’ve already seen the ‘after’ photos.

Before pics.

The first taken 2011′ second in 2008. But give an idea of what I looked like when I started the BSD last December.

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/captainlynne1/media/3f6f3439-6921-4684-aca6-4058bfad162d_zpsahihk0kv.jpg.html

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/captainlynne1/media/Before%20photo_zpspqsl02ta.jpg.html

After pics – taken last week.

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/captainlynne1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfnutbdme.jpeg.html

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/captainlynne1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgx3tvg7o.jpeg.html

• posted by Cassandra021
    on

You are a complete inspiration

• posted by Frog
    on

congratulations Lynne that’s brilliant
    you’ll be so far under by Saturday you’ll be setting new goals!

• posted by wendyq
    on

What an inspiration,so much weight lost in such a short time.You have done it so we can do it,there’s no excuse!

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Lynne
    What a difference a few months can make. Congrats. How do you feel when you look back on the original pictures?
    I’m looking forward to your next stage and the new topic box to follow.

Friday sees the end of my 26th week with no signs of wanting to ditch the plan, it’s been good for me to be watching you out there leading from the front, thanks.
    N.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi captainlynne,

You are an inspiration to all of us. You were when I was reading your posts without ‘seeing’ you. Thank you for posting your ‘before and after’ photos……look at you now!

Your journey continues to be inspiring.

• posted by JMG
    on

You look amazing! Very inspiring.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Morning everyone ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐ŸŒž

Many thanks for your kind comments.

When I checked the laptop for ‘before’ photos I couldn’t find any. The few I used to have had been deleted for some strange reason๐Ÿ˜ณLOL. I was the one taking photos, not being in them! Sound familiar?

But then I remembered I had an external hard drive that I’d used to backup the old laptop a few years ago. And there they were. Both needed slight cropping to remove excess background.

Nettle – when I saw them, especially the closeup, I was horrified. And remembered why I avoided the camera. But that was the reality of the ‘before’ me, for far too many years. When they were taken, in 2008 and 2011 my size didn’t really impact on me too much. I could still do most things I wanted to do.

But in the last few years that started to change. After a fall, when I hurt my back badly, my mobility was affected to the point where I often used a walking stick. My weight, combined with the heat, restricted what I could do when I was with friends in Texas and we went on a trip which included a trip to the Grand Canyon. The last straw was when I was visiting my friends in Italy last November. We were taken to an island and needed to walk up the hill to reach the restaurant. The mountaineers who had taken us looked at me and said if I got tired to tell them so we could rest! But then we turned a corner and I saw the next part of the road. It was steep, and long. I could have cried. But I had to say I couldn’t do it. I was nearly in tears. Later my friend told me she was glad I’d said it, because she doubted she could have done it – she has a bad heart! Fast forward to my trip to my Italian friends a few months ago – I could do anything they could do. And they’re about 20’years younger than me. From dragging myself up the outside stairs to their flat, I could now go up with ease.

Switzerland – I did hesitate about posting the ‘before’ photos, but decided to do so for the sake of completeness. The closeup was taken outside the Moulin Rouge in Paris, the full length pic in the doorway of the jail in Terlingua Ghost Town in Texas. The ‘after’ photos were in York last week.

When I went to get my hair cut yesterday, the hairdresser asked if I’d been losing weight? How much? How? As I was telling her another lady walked in, who goes to Slimming World. So she joined the conversation. The sw lady has been going for a year and is ‘fed up’ with it, so I told her about the BSD book and the basic information. The hairdresser has seen me go through the whole journey, and can see it’s had none of the adverse effects some worry about. Hopefully. Few more folk to join the BSD family๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Please log in or register to post a reply.