Onwards into March ! One week at a time beginning 14th March 2023

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here we are mid March . My WHY has been resurrected and set in stone . No wavering, no complacency .

Have a think and tell us your WHY if it has gone a bit quiet .It is too easy to listen to and give in to that insiduous little voice telling you it won’t matter ( that extra bit of ……, that slice of …..) but that voice just gets louder and then we are in dangerous territory.I have been there . Stay strong folks .
    If you are struggling, don’t give up . Commitment will get results.

Well done to those who are seeing the results approaching their target .

So please join us as we carry on through March .
    I keep saying it but Spring will soon be with us !!!

Wendy, sunshine-girl and SunnyB xxx

• posted by Scojos
    on

Hi… im new.
    Not to the diet but the forum..
    Been trying since January to get my head in the right space to do it again (3stone lost in 12 weeks but 20lbs regained due to holiday/xmas/being a food addict
    So I’m going on holiday in 21 weeks and want to lose what I regained.
    More would be great lol.
    Finally got into ketosis today after slipping in and out of plan for weeks.
    Let’s do this!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome Scojos ! You know what to do,you have done it before and you know it works when you stick to it .

You have your motivation,you have your WHY. You can do it ! 21 weeks is your target.

Tackling food addiction is no joke. Even after all this time I have to constantly be aware that I am an over eater and my relation with food is still not totally peaceful. You know though that the longer you persist with the program,the less you crave sugar and carbage ! Giving in just opens the carb flood gates (been there ! )

So accept you are in this for the long haul, Scojos. Stick with us and we will help anytime you feel a bit wobbly.
    All the very best !

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I know my WHY and it is to keep my diabetes under control. Ideally, I would also like to get my weight down but know I am fighting a battle against my insulin injections. Every 10 units of insulin can be a pound gained each week which is why it is important to get my BG under control so I can use less insulin. Currently on 17 units so technically gaining 1.5lbs each week but my diet just about manages to keep that at bay. Hopefully, I can get the diet under control and get back to using around 7 units, so less than a pound to battle.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome, Scojos… you’re giving yourself a good amount of time to hit your target, unlike me, who has faffed about and now find myself with a smidge over 4wks until we go away. As a slow looser, it’s unlikely I’ll be able to shift the 6.5lb necessary to hit target but I’m giving it a go. Now you have found your groove, stick with it Scojo and be sure to shout if you need support and please keep us posted on progress… we love to celebrate!

Wendy, I know you’ll be really focused now you’ve found your why. It’s a really exciting one too! I know you’re going to love being a Grandma.
    SG, your why is hugely important and I know you’ll get back down to 7units and see good losses, you are one of the most determined people amongst us.

Anyway, I’m currently fasting again…. 🤞🏻 I can get to 18.30 tomorrow. I’ll be weighing in the morning, so will checking in with results after that.

Whatever has happened ith you in the past week, this is a fresh start so have a great BSD week.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    A couple of NSVs to report for the beginning of the week. My MLD session on Friday was really successful. I lost so much fluid over the weekend that I’m now a size smaller and have had to go down a size in my compression tights. My skin has started changing in texture too. It was really tough and bumpy over my legs, but is now changing to becoming soft and more normal again.
    So that is my why. I don’t want this condition to progress, and would really like to reverse it somewhat if I can. There is no cure, but it can be managed and some people are reversing their stages through low carb diets and exercise. I currently estimate that I am stage 2 and it would be nice to get back into stage 1 so my mobility is better and I’m not constantly feeling like someone has strapped hot water bottles to my legs. Stages 3 and 4 tend to come with really nasty edema and cellulitis, so definitely want to stay away from that!

• posted by Scojos
    on

Morning fellow travellers!
    Had a good day yesterday. Kept myself busy in the day so I didn’t snack and then after a 21hr fast did my OMAD which I did once a week last trip on the merry go round.
    Today I’m going to try and get some steps in weather has been against me for last few weeks and due to a medical condition walking aggregates pain and then I crash and comfort eat so its a balancing game.
    Does everyone weigh in daily? I did/do but the weight is deff diff the 2nd (won’t mentioned the 3months of failed attempts..) time round.
    @sb yes well.. I actually gave myself a lot longer to lose alot more… however family issues have resulted in 2 months of bouncing around the same few pounds and I need now to drop into next stone bracket for q little progress.
    I feel I’m depriving myself of my fav sugary treats for nothing… and I need to work on my mindset
    Sugar is not a “treat”.
    Ironically we are going to Cuba for our hols… where everything is sugar cos that’s where they grow the sugar cane lmao……

Hope everyone has a good day. As for me this is a day by day possibly an hour by hour journey at the moment and not a week by week one. X

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Wow Scojos 2 stone lost in 12 weeks how amazing so you have proved you can do it & can do so again because you know this way of eating works for you! This is my ninth week & so far I have lost one stone two pounds but don’t think I’ve ever gone into Ketosis but I’m keeping on going with an occasional blip like this last weekend with a family gathering which was very enjoyable but with off piste eating!
    My why is because of my age & my uncooperative arthritic knees increasingly affecting my mobility plus of course still trying to lose at least two more stone & preferably three to get back into the really healthy weight range. I don’t have the more serious health problems of some of you & much admire your tenacity & focus but have a past history of breast cancer & want to as much as I can prevent it from returning by doing all I can to maintain the health I still have. I have been trying to lose the weight I gained after that treatment ever since & think it’s important to take responsibility for one’s own health & wellbeing as much as one can. I’m on a 24 hour fast today & won’t eat until supper this evening & this morning will go with my husband to our balance well being class.
    We can all do this together & I hope you all have a positive week 👍🍀🍀🍀
    Margaret

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Scojo, it’s very easy to get distracted and find yourself eating the wrong things, so indeed, take it hour by hour, meal by meal and check in as often as you need too to stay accountable.

Today I can report that the fast is still going well, despite feeling a bit empty last night. Had to analyse whether I was genuinely hungry and concluded that I wasn’t and was just missing eating for some reason.

I weigh pretty much daily, as it helps to keep me focused. Of course there are small and often inexplicable fluctuations, but when I’m in the groove, I find I can use the scales readings for motivation.

Anyway, I’m happy that with today’s weigh in, I’ve consolidated being in the correct stone band. As an NSV bonus, I can now comfortably wear my small jeans again! Yippee!!!

Wishing everyone a good day …. all you need to do, is make your next food choice a good BSD one.

• posted by Scojos
    on

So 20hr fast which is how I know I’m ketosis still not hungry.
    My “keep me sane” hobby is i sew. Today I have started making a playsuit i made last 3 years ago and I have lost 10 inches off my waist compared with last time I made it.
    So despite the fact I have fannied around the same weight since Xmas something positive occurred today.
    Oh and my smart watch has died. So ordered a cheap replacement off amazon…. got to count those steps right lol…
    Hope everyone’s having a good day.
    I’m 20hrs into my fast and might make it to 24hrs….

on

Hi everyone,

SunnyB, looks like we are following the same path. My slow losing has been scuppered by a bad weekend and I have around 6lbs to lose before my holiday in just over 4 weeks. I have also dipped under a certain kilo mark.

I also weigh daily as it keeps me on track with how much insulin to use. I also find it motivating which ever way the scales go. More determined if I gain but also a bit more likely to loosen my resolve if I have lost. I am sure weekly would be better but it is just my habit.

My weight is not great but still under a certain kilo band and not too worried as it is the time of the month (as I say I havent had a period for 25 years but I still get the bloating). Hopefully it will drop in a couple of days.

Forgot to mention, I saw my regular doctor today for diabetic check up and he is pleased with my numbers (BG and cholesterol) not so happy with triglycerides but we are putting a slight rise in not being able to exercise. Onward and downward.
    New week, new resolve.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello.
    WENDY …. wonderful news! The ‘best health ever’ should really be the main goal for all of us. It’s so much easier when you have such a great ‘WHY’! Great things to look forward to for 2023.
    S-g glad your blood results were good. I had a blood test last week but don’t know the results yet. I’m not too worried!
    Hello to everyone, and a special hello and welcome to the ‘newbies’.
    I guess I’m just popping in so I can get all your posts. They really help me to focus especially when I’m off plan!
    Trying really hard to stay with a Mediterranean diet with lots of fish, salads, olive oil, olives, nuts and some fruit but unfortunately the red wine and crusty bread are appearing a little too often in my meals! Anyway, at my age, I’ve decided I can’t deprive myself too much and especially as my blood sugar seems to be under control. Life does need to be lived.
    Sun shining wonderfully here, great sea views, lots of fresh air.
    Hope everyone has a fulfilling week reaching whatever goals you have set.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys,
    I have a new WHY. For those who do not know me, I had a lot of success with this WoE and then including TRE and a few short fasts pre catching covid. But I spent a long time struggling with Covid and all the cough medication and sore throat issues. During one period of fighting for breath I went to my GP for assistance and during their tests they connected me up to an ECG and I was diagnosed with issues with the way the nerves within my heart fired. Left bundle branch block for those who know about these things. However, its not unusual for people to have that issue from birth without knowing about it, and blood tests for heart disease were negative so I was a low priority for the next test of an echo cardiogram as a just in case.

I had the echo cardiogram a couple of weeks ago and the follow up meeting for the results on Thursday. The normal output from the left ventricle which pumps blood around the body is in the 60 to 70% range. My heart is only managing 30 to 35% which puts me in the category of severe heart failure. My GP was quite positive yesterday, apparently it is very rare for someone to have this sort of test result while not showing any symptoms. Its highly likely that with the aid of drugs I will be able to continue a normal active life without any symptoms until I reach old age and start to be frail.

Covid does a lot of its damage by slowing down the rate of autophagy and causing inflammation in the blood vessels. So as well as starting down the prescribed drugs I am going to stick with fasting for autophagy each week. – No one knows if it will reduce / heal some of the damage, but it will not hurt and getting to target weight will reduce strain on my heart.

I don’t normally use the scales to measure progress, in fact, I am usually one of the first to advice people to stop daily weighing and move over to using the tape measure to monitor progress. But one of the issues if your heart is not pumping blood as well as it should can be increased water retention, so thats one change I have been told to make. Apparently at some point I will be prescribed diuretics so sounds like there is going to be one impressive whoosh coming up.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just read this quote online and had to share ….
    “Don’t measure your progress using someone else’s ruler.”

• posted by Scojos
    on

Well day 2 went well.
    I have drank 3l of water (plus half a dozen black coffees)
    I did some steps and I ate a F800 friendly dinner
    Managed just under 22hr fast.
    So now off to bed qnd start again tomorrow…

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

I have also had a 24 hour fast yesterday & another today until supper to try to redress my indulgent weekend & I will also be taken out to lunch to a new Turkish restaurant on Mothers Day next Sunday so off piste again. Unfortunately I don’t think I’ve ever been in Ketosis & was again negative when I tested an hour ago. It seems I’ve only to step out of my low carb 800/900 calorie days to immediately gain weight so this is definitely an ongoing change of eating for me for the foreseeable future. In June we now have a large family gathering to venture north to so it would be nice to have lost much more weight so that my husbands family might notice a difference in my appearance 🤔
    Margaret

on

Hi all, I dont seem to be able to get my head into weight loss right now. Still trying hard to get my BG down and insulin, although that also involves being very low carb so not totally off plan.

Today I did 30 mins of aerobics with my favourite ShaunT of HipHopAbs fame. Not been able to do it before I had my asthma diagnosis. Thought it was my age that prevented me from being able to do it but now know I am perfectly capable.

Wendy1947, if you are going off plan and not always low carb you will dip out of ketosis but I wouldn’t worry. When you first start low carb your body misses the carbs and goes for fat burning producing the ketones. However, after a while it get to use those ketones for energy and you wont be expelling them. Don’t think I have ever hit ketosis or maybe it was the strips I bought on the internet. Just keep doing what you have with the occasional treat. You dont have to deprive yourself all the time.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you sunshine-girl & I may have poor strips because I bought them from Amazon . Very well done doing 30 minutes of aerobics! I think all that any of us can do is to try & stick to the basics & take it one day at a time!
    Margaret

• posted by FuzzyJammies
    on

Hello everyone – SunshineGirl mentioned this thread to me, it sounds like where I need to be! I started doing BSD a few years ago and fell off the wagon but I’ve been doing Fasting and lower-carb eating for about a year now and am finally seeing some results. A recent plateau prompted me to come back here earlier this week and see if I can do an 8 week sprint to get down some more pounds. I’m 191 lbs today and I would like to get 12-14 pounds off by the middle of May (two birthdays and a couple of other holidays in that time so it might be a stretch).

I would love to have your low-carb instant Pot soup recipes if you have any to share, my meals are getting a little dreary, need to change things up a bit with something new 🙂
    Have a great day!
    FuzzyJammies in Canada

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Fuzzy …. no particular soup recipes to share, but to keep dishes interesting, try adding various herbs or spices and have a play with flavours. It’s a great way to switch things up and keep foods interesting.

Verano makes lots of soups, so hopefully she’ll share some ideas when she can.

on

Hi Fuzzy, didnt think about it when I replied before but if you just type soup into the search engine it comes up with all the posts people have made with soup recipes.

Also, my very favourite soup is the Spanish chorizo and chickpea soup in the original BSD book (not the recipe book). I make it in batches of around 6 portions. The recipe is supposed to make 2 portions but I can get 3 out of it. So I double up the ingredients and get 6 portions to freeze. If you dont have the book I will publish the recipe.

on

In fact I have just found the one I posted before.
    Here is the recipe – thanks to Dr Mosley

It is actually called – Spanish Chickpea and Spinach soup – 210 calories – makes 2 portions (I often make a big batch and portion it up and freeze)

50g Spanish chorizo, diced
    1 tbsp olive oil – my tip is to leave this out as the chorizo gives off plenty of oil so I will say what I do further down.
    1 large leek, thinly sliced
    2 medium cloves of garlic, chopped finely
    1 red pepper, diced
    Pinch of chilli flakes – depends on how spicy your chorizo is
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1 litre chicken stock
    200g can of chickpeas – drain and rinse (I think this is the 400g can as it comes out at 200g when you have drained them)
    150g g baby spinach leaves

Chuck the chopped chorizo in a pan (I use a large one), cook for about 5 mins until browning. Tip the cooked chorizo into a paper towel lined bowl to let it drain. Recipe says throw residue of oil away but I use that to cook the leeks in. Why throw something away. Add leek to the pan and cook for about 5 mins. I find if they start to go brown then add a drop of water and they will steam. Add garlic, peppers, chilli flakes and paprika and cook out for a couple of minutes. Then add tomato puree, cook for 2 more minutes. Pour in the chicken stock and chickpeas and bring to boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 mins. Finally put the baby spinach leaves in and the already cooked chorizo. Cook until spinach wilts.

This is almost a full meal rather than a soup starter. I would get 3 portions out of that.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Wendy1947,

Ketone strips are not a good way of testing for ketosis, when you first start to enter ketosis your body will produce excess ketones which it gets rid of in your urine, but thats wasteful, so as time goes on your body only generates as many ketones as is needed so stops generating any surplus ketones.

Personally I used to test my level of ketosis using a cheap breathalyser bought from amazon, an AT6000. If you search the old forum where we used to post useful articles and links – Take a look at this, you will find articles on the AT6000 and how reliable it is. – When we burn ketones for fuel there is a byproduct released in our breath which will be recorded by a cheap breathalyser if you breath the last of your breath into it. – Don’t worry, the professional standard of breathalyser used by police do not react to ketones.

What I found when I experimented with a breathalyser was that I was very Insulin Resistant even after a considerable time of eating low carb. – I had to be below 20g of carbs to be in a reasonable level of ketosis, and going up to 26g of carbs in one day was enough to kick me out of ketosis and it would take at least 2 days of being below 20g to get back into ketosis.

There are lots of articles which explain Insulin Resistance in detail, but basically, as we eat carbs our body stores the surplus glucose in our bodies, as we continue to take in surplus glucose the normal stores get full and do not want to take in more, so the body has to increase the level of insulin to force those cells to accept the stores. During this process our bodies not only produce more insulin, but it takes longer for the insulin levels to drop down after each meal. – The diagnosis of T2 diabetes is when our bodies can not produce enough insulin to force the body to store any more sugar. Our body only switches over to producing ketones when we have released enough of the stored sugar and insulin levels have dropped low enough that our bodies can generate ketones. Obviously the amount of time without food it takes for each persons body to release stored glucose and insulin levels to drop enough to reach ketosis is different, but to heal IR your body needs some time at low insulin levels so that your cells get used to not needing high levels of insulin to push them into storing glucose and your body becomes metabolically flexible (gets used to switching between using sugar or fat for fuel.)

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Good evening JGwen thank you so much for your detailed Ketosis explanation & about the breathalyser but wow going as low as 20g of carbs is much lower than I think I have been eating! I know that I am not pre-diabetic because of my blood tests so I suppose I have been losing weight by eating so low calorie but of course may still have become insulin resistant because of being overweight. I will try to further lower my carb intake from next week because of my Mothers Day lunch out when I will have some wine. I’m still reading The Diabetes Code & will re-read the section on insulin resistance . I hope your echo cardiogram results are good tomorrow 🤞🤞
    Sunshine-girl the soup recipe sounds delicious & I will make it because I like chickpeas.
    Hello Fuzzy a favourite soup recipe I often make is in the MM Fast 800 Keto book
    Chunky courgette & dill soup with prawns.
    Serves 2. 162 kcals per serving 17g protein! 5g carbs
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 medium leek, trimmed, quartered lengthwise & sliced into cubes
    1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes ( I add more because I like heat)
    600ml chicken or vegetable stock
    10g fresh dill (I use a tsp of dried)
    150g cooked prawns (I use frozen cooked ones)
    Place oil in a saucepan & sauté the leeks & courgettes for 4 minutes then add the chilli flakes & stock & simmer for 5 minutes.
    Transfer half the soup to a blender or use a hand blender & blend until smooth. Return to the saucepan & add the prawns to heat through & season to taste if required before serving.
    I find this make a filling lunch.
    Margaret

• posted by Scojos
    on

Good morning ladies and gents.
    Had a good day yesterday and so far so good today.
    Wi im exactly x st 0.0 lmao… desperate to see a new stone bracket but stagnated so whilst I know it ll come 2 days tettering isn’t fun.
    I managed a 20hr fast and then a 21hr fast but the nausea and light headed ness killed me at the end…
    So “fasters” how do you manage to do 24hrs or more? Is it literally pushing through? I have a v serious fear of vomiting so as soon as I get to that stage I cant risk it…
    I’m a seamstress. Remaking a playsuit I made in 2020 and I ve lost 10inches off my stomach since I measure myself last time.. gasp.
    What hobby do you all have to stay “sane” and out the biscuit tin?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Wendy1947, one easy way to check for IR is the presence of skin tags. Once you reverse your IR they will drop off. – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20464083/ – Don’t panic about having to eat keto for the rest of your life, it has taken years of a high carb diet to cause this damage, but with time it can be reversed and then an occasional celebration will not be an issue.

I had the meeting with one of the specialist nurses assigned to the cardiac team last Thursday. Apparenty the echo cardiogram indicates i have severe heart failure. My heart is only 30 to 35 % effective in circulating blood around my body when the normal is in the 60 to 70%. The glass half full way of looking at this, (shared with me by my GP) is that normally they only find this level of damage to the heart when people start to suffer symptoms. Thanks to Covid they have discovered it before its causing damage to my body and with medication they can support me so that there are no health implications before old age related frailty generally takes over.

There have been research papers published on the benefits of autophagy for heart health and its one of the areas where major research projects are being funded on if drugs can amplify autophagy so that the heart can heal while people continue to eat 3 meals a day. Its already known that autophagy helps in the maintenance of blood vessel clearing plaque from them, so I have another incentive to add to my WHY.

• posted by happysnap
    on

Hi all

Thank you for the welcome I got for my previous post. I am really glad to be here- thanks for making up such a helpful forum!
    I am currently in week 3 of my BSD and very pleased with how things are going. I have lost almost 10lb and rapidly losing inches from my waistline, which is a huge motivator to keep going!

I have always been a slow loser on any diet (which I now know must have been due to insulin resistance) so I am particularly delighted to see the weight going so fast, and to see the difference in my clothing!

I have a few questions, I hope someone with a bit more experience in the BSD can help me.

1. How do I know what I “should” be eating?? I know that I need to adjust my mindset, coming from the low-fat diets (I’ve been on slimming world on and off for years…) and I find that i’m not sure what I should be eating. According to myfitnesspal, i’m not eating enough calories. I’ve been skipping breakfast, doing roughly 16:8 IF, so lunch is usually something like a big salad with smoked salmon, bits of cheese and tbsp of mayo. Dinner something like a bowl of soup with grilled chicken breast and stir fry. I am not hungry but i don’t feel like I have my head wrapped around what I “should” be eating, so would appreciate any advice.

2. I would love to do longer intermittent fasts, however I find myself getting very hungry at around the 18 hour mark. In the diabetes code, Jason Fund claims that hunger will go, but I haven’t seen that for myself. Any advice on this?

3. JGwen, thanks for posting the link about skin tags. I have lots of them lately and was wondering what caused it! How soon do you think I can be lowering IR, and seeing them fall off??

• posted by happysnap
    on

I should also mention that my excessive thirst has disappeared, so I am assuming my blood sugar is no longer in prediabetic levels but have to wait for blood test to confirm this!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Happy … sounds like you are seeing some good results and well done on celebrating both the scales and non-scales victories. Both are validation of positive progress.
    I know what you mean about not feeling you really have a handle on what you should be eating. Think this is a result of the years of low fat/high carb conditioning we have all even subjected too. Initially, it feels really counter intuitive to eat more fat and expect to see pounds drop. Can certainly remember that being a big learning curve for me. Try not to get too hung up on that, just be assured you’ll soon get into the groove and it will all become second nature.

If you are concerned you are not having enough calories, look at increasing your fat intake a bit. It’s a good way to up calories whilst limiting any increase in carbs. You could maybe use olive oil for salad dressing, have a little grated cheese sprinkled in your soup or add in some nuts as a little snack.

Keep us posted on progress.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello happysnap have you bought any of the Fast800 cookery books? They all have good recipes that are easy to make & I pick & choose between the three that I have. The general guidelines seem to be plenty of veg with good quality protein or pulses & mixing & matching that. Soups are good for filling up at lunch when not fasting. I don’t eat processed foods & make all meals from scratch & make double portions for a meal the next day. Chopping all the veg is a bit of a pain but stir fry’s are easy with a bought pack of stir fry veg & white cabbage is easy to slice finely to bulk out other veggies. Fasting wise I don’t eat breakfast so usually operate on a 16/8 fasting eating window breaking my fast with a coffee around 10-30 & don’t feel hungry.
    I have also completed 24 hour fasts from supper one evening until supper the next day & have plenty of water sometimes with a teaspoon of Organic apple cider vinegar, coffee with a little milk but probably should have black, an oxo cube in hot water to make a hot drink & keep my salt intake up, I also use ginger & turmeric tea bags & only have de-caf coffee after 2-0pm so I can sleep at night. Any hungry feelings or growling stomach I ignore & drink some water & I usually play short mat bowls in the morning & only drink water then & feel fine. I have been doing daily fasts for several years now so suppose my body is used to it.
    JGwen thank you for your information & I don’t have any skin tags only lots of seborrheic warts which unfortunately is just my skin type but still annoying that I keep an eye on in case they change but fascinating research on skin tags.
    Scojos your light headedness may be not enough salt & too much caffeine? I have also cleared my kitchen of all temptation with ice cream & wine being my go to carb treats so never have biscuits😳 I will be trying a 36 hour fast today until lunch tomorrow but might give in when it come to preparing some supper for my husband tonight but will report on how I do. 😂 so far so good.
    I keep busy with craft activities & at the moment turning left over crochet squares, from the village Christmas tree project, into saleable items such as bags, cushion covers, place mats etc to raise funds for the village WI & Pants to Ovarian Cancer. I have the decorative pants I made currently hanging on my garden fence. My main craft is beading & making beaded jewellery but I have become rather bored with that hence my other craft things to keep me busy & distracted from eating except when having to prepare meals. I belong to the village WI Knit & Natter group but can’t actually knit very well but with helpful guidance have made a couple of jumpers.
    I hope everyone is having a good day.
    Margaret

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Ooh sorry!! Forgot to say also eat organic full fat Greek yoghurt butter & olive oil salmon or other oily fish for Omega 3s & avocados & take a daily multivitamin & vitamin D pill.
    Margaret

on

Hi all, what a difference a day makes. Yesterday I felt like I couldn’t be bothered with the weight loss side of the diet and today I am rearing to go. Sun is shining, maybe the feel good endorphins have kicked in from the exercise, maybe going out and spending a whole load of money on garden accessories getting ready for summer – a new tonnelle to start with (thats a marquee, sunshade or whatevery you call it). We usually dont spend much but they usually only last the season, one good storm and the roof is ripped, so we have gone for a more solid structure.

Hi happysnap, as already said by a couple of our experienced dieters, you will get to know what to eat. Look at recipes in the low carb books or on-line at keto meals. As long as you are avoiding or totally eliminating the bad carbs you really cant go wrong. As for the online tracker telling you you are not eating enough calories they tend to react if you are under about 1300/1500 but we know the diet we are on and we are not letting a machine dictate what we do. As long as you are logging and within whatever your level is then dont worry. But think above ground veg, no exotic fruits like mangoes – if you know it is high in sugar then it is high in carbs and vice versa, full fat dairy (sorry Wendy1947 I never buy organic but that’s me) and lean protein and you cant go wrong.

Went to our local farm shop for my eggs, out of 18 bought last week we had 6 double yolkers so 24 eggs for the price of 18:) They also had the first of the asparagus, slim sweet stalks of loveliness – now just have to remember to eat them instead of saving them ‘for later’.

Have a good rest of the week and enjoy the coming weekend.

• posted by Scojos
    on

Ohhh I love asparagus!!
    I’m having a tough day. Hurt my back feeling the urge to eat sweets and struggling here to fight my desire to make myself “feel better”.
    Hoped up on high dose pain relief and self pity…
    Sob

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Oh dear sorry to hear that Scojos & hope you feel better in the morning!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Oh well I’m going to be a moaning Minnie this morning! Although my 38 hour fast went very well with keeping hydrated & not feeling hungry, as did my earlier in the week 24 hour one, I stood on my scales this morning & have gone up 1/2 lb in weight🙁I’m quite confused as to what my body is doing apart from re-arranging my flab which is noticeably more pitted & flabbier & looks awful 😳 but I will plod on today & keep to 800 calories. Lunch will be Prawn & Courgette soup & supper Teriyaki salmon with ratatouille & possibly 50g of cooked quinoa & or a pear. I will weigh tomorrow & post my result.🤔
    I hope everyone has had a better week than it looks like I have had! Sorry about the moaning.
    Margaret

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Margaret sometimes for some unknown reason weight lose just plateaus there will be a sudden whoosh effect when a larger amount just disappears in one go. 🤷‍♀️ I think it’s your body trying to trip you up and get you to give up. We all work better when we are seeing positive results.
    I am on holiday in Tenerife so won’t be good but will try to limit carbs rather than just going for it in holiday mode 🤣. I will deal with the aftermath on my return.

• posted by Scojos
    on

Have fun on holiday! Thats my motivation (we re off to celebrate our 50th birthdays in Cuba…
    ))
    Margaret wow… 38hrs thats amazing!
    I’m sorry u ve gained (me too..) but it ll come off just have faith in the process.
    I came to confess a sin.
    After last night’s drug frenzy (painkillers for q dodgy back not illegal ones..) I ended up having a late night snack which buggered my fast.
    Now… I did “want” the haribos that are my adult daughters easter treat.. but instead I had cheese cubes ham and pickled beetroot.
    It could have been alot worse…..

I’m still in K this morning (that horrid mouth taste is back) I’m just carrying on chalking it down to experience and ignoring the fast cheat.
    Cant do much else I need the pain relief for my fibromyalgia..
    So easy day.. trying to avoid re hurting back by gently doing everything.
    Everyone have q nice day esp those on a beach xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Margaret, half a pound increase is really not here or there, it’s just one of those daily anomies that happen. Yes, they are frustrating and disheartening, but in the scheme of things it’s not indicative of anything significant. That half pound and more will soon be history again, so chin up and soldier on … you’re on the right path!

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you Elle-Mae & SunnyB. I know I just have to be patient & stick with it but it’s frustrating & I am going out to lunch on Sunday with our son coming for the weekend when many more tempting things emerge to share! I’m still trying to have lost at least 1.5 stone at the end of my 12 weeks.
    Scojos I’m sorry to hear you have Fibromyalgia having had clients suffering with it & how unpredictable the pain can be. Just take it one day at a time & it’s very impressive you are in Ketosis which must be helping you🤞👍
    Elle-Mae have a wonderfully relaxing holiday 😀🌞🌞
    Margaret

on

Hello,

hi to scojos, wow cuba, plenty of motivation there.

elle-mae enjoy the holiday – are those your legs and feet?

Had another good day. Did 30 mins aerobics so managed 3 sessions this week. Food choices are good and after logging in myfitnesspal yesterday (I dont log every day) I came out with 830 cals and 27g carbs. Will log today but had half an avocado and bacon grilled to a crip at lunch so that might up the calories. However, I did do scrambled egg with eggs from the farm. The first one looked big so I cracked it and there again, double yolker, so only used the one. My only downfall there is I have some cheese in the egg, which is okay if I am not having cheese again like in a Ploughmans.

Shopping again. Been decorating what we call our grandsons bedroom even if it only gets used once or twice a year. Got rid of the teddy bears frieze around the wall. Well they are 17 and 14 now. It is very grown up now. Bought a new bedside table today as the old one has some cup stains and was too high for the new single beds. I will paint the top and give it to the charity shop. I am enjoying spending some money. After a life-threatening event you realise you cant take it with you. Not just that, but as pensioners, we have just had a 10% rise – not a lot in money terms but enough for a few more treats.

It is hubbys birthday on Thursday and we have a table booked at our new favourite restaurant. So I just want to get through the weekend with no cheats (wine) and then it doesn’t bother me during the week. Hoping for a bit more weight off to catch up with the small gain of last week. Of my 7lb goal still got 5lbs to do, in 4 weeks. I can do it.

Enjoy the weekend, we have some lovely weather, and keep on keeping on…

• posted by wendleg
    on

I have just posted a message …. WHERE IS IT ????

Then I realised there were lots of new posts I hadn’t seen !! Blinkin internet going down again !

I will try and find my message and more importantly catch up on the most recent ones !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done articfox . So glad you are seeing results to ease your lipedema.That must be so encouraging for you.I admire you for pushing though and remaining so active despite the difficulties .

Sorry too to hear about your arthritic knees , Margaret . .My hubby has his second knee op in April . Yes you are absolutely right to focus on staying healthy after your history of breast cancer . Eliminating sugar is definitely the way to go .

I have had a few full days being out of the house so that fell into natural fasting . I avOided any nasty headaches this time by making sure I had half a teaspoon of sea salt in warm water .It works for me .Also just putting it on my tongue.

I am not a daily weigher .I have never weighed more than once a week and can leave it for much longer.Measurements and the fit of my clothes tend to be my markers . I will be weighing more regularly now as when I stopped checking the numbers complacency set in !

This morning I broke my fast with a keto porridge made with hemp hearts, shredded coconut , flax seed and almond milk with a pinch of cinnamon.I haven’t had porridge oats for years but this was a nice substitute . Lunch was 2 boiled eggs with asparagus ‘ soldiers ‘

Have a good weekend everyone xx

on

My husband, just have to love him, if not I would have to kill him. Bless. He has just read a message to me, from our daughter. Can you confirm you will be leaving here late on the Sunday (to go back to France). I am planning to have all our family and lots of mums friends for her 70th….. At which point he realised it was a secret. I now have to pretend I dont know anything and I too have a big gob.

I guess that is my WHY right now. 4 weeks to lose 3 stone 🙂

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Well it’s the end of week 9 for me & it’s required a lot of focus but I have now lost a total of 1stone 3lbs. I’ve just weighed & after my weight gain last weekend family gathering & lunch my scales now show that I’m one pound less than last week so phew I’m so pleased to show a loss so I guess my 24 hour & 38 hour fast really helped😀 I’m going to choose my food wisely tomorrow at my Mothers Day lunch in a Turkish restaurant but will probably have a cocktail before & wine to drink with my meal. Having completed one long fast I feel confident now that I can always do another one next week but I do have another competitive short mat bowls match on Monday afternoon. During fasting I’ve acquired a liking for a tablespoonful of Organic raw apple cider vinegar added to my water which makes it more interesting to drink 😀
    Margaret

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Fiance away to watch a football match, so I took myself off to the designer shops and window shopped pretending I was one of the rich people. OMG the prices and the labels still said made in China. I bought some reusable stretchy covers to use instead of cling film from the market.🤣🤣🤣🤣

• posted by Scojos
    on

Margaret.. I love keto porridge.
    I add raspberries and it tastes like bakewell tart 😋..
    Elle mae I love window shopping.
    I then go home and find a similar fabric pattern and fabric and make myself.
    I made a dress for my hols last year “inspired” by a £3k dress… cost me about £6 and lots of swear words lmao….

I’m hoping I ll be able to wear stuff this year.. im now at plus 2lb… but haven’t popped for 4 days.
    So currently making green veg and lentil soup which ll hopefully work if not its meds… constipation is new to me…

I did cheat again last night I went over my calories by about 300 but back is better so no drug induced picnics tonight.
    Plus I ve been shopping qnd stocked up on stuff so if I have to snack I have cashews qnd cheese..
    Have a lovely Sat guys!!
    SJ x

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Happy Mothers Day to everyone 💐💐💐🥂🥂⭐️⭐️
    Enjoy your day today🥰🥰
    Margaret

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    I have caught up with the thread , especially JGwen’s message about her cardiac issues .Wow Jillie, so much to absorb and navigate but I am sure your research will be invaluble in managing this with your team .

Hello happysnap and FuzzyJammmies and welcome to our thread !

I have to go out again today but will try to pop back in later and say something useful !!!

Have a good Sunday everyone xx

• posted by Scojos
    on

Well. Happy mothers day to you all.
    Hope ur getting spoilt rotten.
    I was gifted a spa day from my crotch goblins so that s motivation… some stranger seeing me nearly naked…😳🙈…

Lost 1.5lbs this week. Bit disappointed but after the pain killer induced snack attacks I guess thats ok.
    On plan yesterday and hoping to move on next week.

Have a happy Sunday all xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.