One week in – results and questions

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sharikenn
    on

Hello everyone, & the newbies likes myself.
    In the past I have always done diets for vanity, like many, lost weight only to go “te dah” in my head and stick it all back on again. I have not had the wake up call from the Doctor, although my dad is type 2 and I am way overweight. But I started last Sunday (again to lose weight to get into my clothes), however on day three the testing kit arrived and my fasting rate was 6.0, which I think is borderline pre-diabetes?. Whoa boy that was the wake up call, so any thoughts of falling off the 800 cals, went straight out of the window.

Results
    – Well I have lost 10lbs in 6 days. ๐Ÿ™‚
    -My skin isn’t so dry – probably because I am not necking wine like water.
    -Mentally – what was a ‘treat’ being the wine, is now getting your tea, even without potatoes.
    -My carbs on my fitness pal are between 20g and 30g (from my veg)

Questions
    -I have pain behind my eyes, when I move them. Is this a side effect or a normal cold? I am keeping on top of my water – I think
    -When cooking I use pesto and sundried tomato (calories counted) is this allowed?. As it tastes amazing with mascarpone cheese for a pasta sauce with the courgetti.
    -I am planning to take a break at week four (for a few days as off to New York) then resume on the 800/maintenance. will this be OK?.
    -I have ordered a low Gi cook book which seems to the science behind the diet. Is there a difference between low GI and the low GI Mediterranean diet?

My tips so far
    – Get a blood tester, even like me, if you didn’t think you need it.
    – Peppermint tea. I drink so much more of this now than coffee
    – I have to travel with work, so I did use one of the Lidl High protein rolls (only half) and they are nice for emergencies.
    -Sparkling water with ice and lime in a wine glass for the evening time hand to mouth habit. Whilst watching telly. If like me you can drink wine like water, then it may as be water ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good luck to all those starting out. We can do it ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Well done Shariken, I can only answer one question, taking a break is okay as long as you try to stick the the principles of low carb. Obviously the calories will creep in, I like a glass or two of wine too, and you might very well regain a little weight. However, if you can come back 2 or 3 lbs heavier instead of half a stone like with old diets you can get straight back onto it and shift it in less than a week. Hopefully, by the time you go your head will be so free of carb addiction you will be able to control your carbs and portions plus you should have lost a bit more weight so your starting point will be better. Enjoy New York, my daughter is taking my 2 grandsons there on 21st Oct for a week, say hi if you bump into her.

Maybe I can add to the question about GI cook book. It should be okay but be aware that it might allow small amounts of things like rice or pasta just keeping the total GI low but we don’t eat rice or pasta. I still get the Slimming World magazine (to have something to read in English for a change) and although the recipes may be healthier I still make the same things they do but leave out the devil carbs.

P.S. I know SW is notorious for allowing unlimited carbs but I know how to change the recipes to suit this diet.

• posted by Sharikenn
    on

Thank you for the advice sunshine-girl. I am lucky in the way as I never was a fan of pasta or rice, if you eat them on their own, you soon see they are pointless calories for something tasteless. Potatoes on the other hand…. hmm ๐Ÿ™‚

That is the week I am off to the states, the same as your daughter. So I will say hi. I am sure with all the walking it will help out. So that is week 1 done for me. Onto week 2. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Sharikenn, when I started this my husband asked if I would miss rice and pasta so I asked him to tell me what it tasted like, no sauce, nothing, just plain. He said it tasted of nothing. So that is what I am missing, nothing. Agree with the spuds though….

Please log in or register to post a reply.