One week in and very impressed

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Oddj0b
    on

Having been diagnosed a few years ago with type 2 I initially worked like a demon to keep my levels down and stay healthy. Sadly my resolved wore off over the years and I found myself not back where I started but going in that direction. The feeling of sluggishness and general lack of energy came with the realisation my diet had gone to ruin. Quite by chance I was in a book shop when I saw the 8-week blood sugar diet book on the shelf. On impulse I bought it and read it on holiday. The day after I returned, I bought a blood sugar monitor, started the diet and got back to the gym.

As with others on here I have been surprised how I don’t feel hungry on this diet and I have been enjoying experimenting with different recipes and venturing outside my normal food range. I have been amazed with the results so far and looking forward to the next week

date. weight(kg) waist(cm) fasting BS (mol/l). [mg/dl]
    12/1/18 109.2 112 16.0 [288]
    19/1/18. 103.2. 107 5.1 [106]

• posted by Squidge
    on

Great stuff, Oddjob!

• posted by caronl
    on

Well done Oddjob!

• posted by KelsBells
    on

Me too!
    My loss isn’t as impressive as yours Oddjob, but i’m still very impressed (2.9 kgs in a week)
    One week down, and I agree after probably 2 days I wasn’t feeling hungry between meals which was a huge surprise. I’m still making some carb-y foods for my son, and managing to avoid them myself without too much angst. Tonight we had “Luxury Fish Pie”. Couldn’t find any celeriac so it was topped with half mashed potato for the carb-eater, and a bit of grated parmesan on my side.
    The only thing I have found so far which weakens me a little is the thought that I might never eat a hunk of fresh white bread with butter and vegemite, or a pizza, or garlic bread, or cheese and crackers again! I’m not sure I will manage that. I’m already justifying it to myself for later…
    Also enjoying the suggested mindfulness App – Headspace. Worth trying if you havent already.

• posted by Oddj0b
    on

Thanks for the comments and support Squidge and Caronl. All going in the right direct KelsBells so good for you, 2.9kgs in a week is a good loss, mine is slowing down now, less than 2 Kgs in the last five days but I am more pleased with my blood sugar, my average reading for the last week is 5.8 (104). I know what you mean about of bread but definitely not bothered about vegemite, tried when we were Australia and I’m definitely a ‘hater’, its worse than marmite, a similar concoction that some like in the UK, again I am a ‘hater’. We are going some consideration to getting a bread maker so we can have an occasional treat of homemade wholegrain bread once we have done our 8 weeks. Thanks for the tip on the app , I’ll try that.

• posted by Peonevie
    on

Congrats on such a positive first week!

I’m just starting out so this is very encouraging to read

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I used to dislike marmite, but oddly since doing the BSD I now love it! Your tastes really can change on this way of eating. I still have the occasional chunk of white bread and refuse to feel guilty about it now I am maintaining, but it may be a different story if you are diabetic and it spikes your blood sugar. I have found that the quality of the bread I do indulge in has gone way up and the quantities way down though.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I really LOVE marmite! Have recently been having it on almond crackers with a little butter – yummy!

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Speaking of marmite and different taste bud responses, we hiked the Costa San Vincente in Portugal last year and I fell in love with the little packets of sardine paste that they serve with the bread basket — crazy salty stuff, I found myself waiting for meals so I could eat it! It was even good on salads.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi Oddj0b

Brilliant news about the blood sugar results. My figures were about the same as yours when I was diagnosed Type 2 in August. I didn’t have a bg monitor until a couple of weeks after I’d started the BSD but mine dropped, maybe a little more slowly, down through the 7’s, 6’s and 5’s over a matter of weeks. They’re now in the 4’s and 5’s. Great feeling, isn’t it.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I love Vegemite (spread thin) but I’m not sure what to have it on without toast. I think it’s quite nice on crunchy celery sticks.

• posted by Inka13
    on

I think the key to people from other countries trying Vegemite is to have it spread thin with lots of butter, if they don’t realise how strong it is you watch them slather it on then recoil in horror!
    My mother used to put in on an inch thick and I could barely watch her eat it!! Though I guess you can build up a tolerance… I sometimes just have it with butter on a spoon if I want that savoury hit.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Natalie, I don’t know about Vegemite, but I quite like Marmite with butter on the broccoli sandwich bread that is in the recipe section.

• posted by Clarerocks
    on

Congratulations to you all for getting stuck into this diet! I’m about to start (tomorrow!!) and have just joined the forum. I love marmite, which drew me to this thread. It’s good on cucumber, though not sure you could ever beat white crusty bread and butter to put it on.

• posted by Oddj0b
    on

Hi, well three weeks in now and still not hungry, its feels really weird because on previous diets I have worked on around 1600kcal per day and struggled to stick to it. I did have a lapse last week, we moved house last Friday and hardly ate anything all day. At the end of the day it was too much to think about so we ordered in an Indian takeaway, no rice though. Other than that I have had a couple of days where I have exceed the 800 kcal.

I am keeping out of the Vegemite / marmite discussion as I have firmly planted my flag in the “haters” camp where both are concerned. However here my homage to Vegemite from when we were in Australia for anyone interested and to prove I did try it. https://flic.kr/p/YMqUmm

In terms of progress I remain impressed though my weight has slowed down it does continue with a total of 10.2kg lost in the last three weeks, equally my BS levels remain low with all my last weeks morning reading being below 6 and the lowest being 4.7. I have a review at the doctors next week so hopefully this will have made a difference to my HbA1C.

date. weight(kg) waist(cm) fasting BS (mol/l). [mg/dl]
    12/1/18 109.2 112 16.0 [288]
    19/1/18. 103.2. 107 5.1 [106]
    3/2/18 98.0. 104. 5.5

how is everyone else doing?

• posted by Oddj0b
    on

Just a bit of an update in relation to my experiences over the last 12 months.

Although I have put some of the weight back on I have really modified how and what I eat, the biggest downfall being when I have had a few beers.

However despite all this I recently had my 6 monthly HbA1c test and it came back at 40 mol/mol or (5.8%). The nurse at my doctors wants to know what I have done! I am cutting my metformin to one tablet per day(500mg) and if my bloods are the same in 6 months then they are talking about saying I am no longer diabetic.

I can only think that it is this diet and the work I did in those 8 weeks that has led to this and the maintenance over the year.

Thank you.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Oddj0b, that’s fab news! Yep, low carb works! Congratulations!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great news Oddjob! It’s stories like this that inspire others. I’m sure the news in 6 months will be just what you want, as you are still successfully maintaining the BSD way. All power to you!

• posted by Loloma
    on

So happy for you. I am having similar results to you in your first week, about 1kg per day so far over 5 days. I know it will be water weight and wondering when you noticed it wasn’t water you were losing but actual fat loss?

Anyone else tracked their progress daily and how they went over the 8 weeks?

Thanks again for posting your fabulous results!

• posted by Oddj0b
    on

HI Loloma,

sounds like you’re making a great start. Looking at my records my weight stayed fairly steady for about 5 days after the first week of losing about 1kg a day after this it started dropping again but at a slower rate, about 0.5 kg per day for a week then about 2kg a week until the end of the 8weeks. My thoughts are that after that first week my body was readjusting then getting into the fat loss , but that’s only my thoughts, I am no doctor. At the time I couldn’t understand why I was still only eating 800 kcal per day but there was no weight loss and it could have been disheartening, after all its no fun sticking to 800kcal and not seeing any immediate results. However I think now this is when my dory stopped just getting rid of the fluids and started on the fat. It certainly seems worth it now.

Best of luck and hang in there, its been a year for me now and I have gone back to some old habits but the HbA1c result says it all for me.

Please log in or register to post a reply.