ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning September 1st 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

This new thread begins on September 1st .I read somewhere that there are 18 weeks left in 2020. I think we will all be glad to get this year over and done with, hopefully with a positive outlook re COVID .

So there is most definitely time to make a difference to our health whch is our priority right now . We owe it to ourselves and as Julz says, each and every one of us is WORTH IT
    18 weeks….let’s take it One Week at a Time as we always do

Come and join us, continue to travel along with us ….reboot, whatever . !

Tomorrow marks 2 years since I finally decided to tackle my obesity and health issues ….That was September 2018…this is the ONLY weight loss plan and way of eating that has worked for me .

Please believe us that you CAN make peace with yourself and the struggles you have had with food cravings,
    We look forward to hearing from you all as we go forward with renewed determination and resolve.
    Wendy and Sunny B

• posted by wendleg
    on

Roll call !

SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz
    Georgiejeorge
    Olive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles

timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)

PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh
    Tulip1 (Clare)
    ADD6605(Dawn)
    Gyllb
    EllieAllegra

Roheryn
    AuroraB
    Sweetgirl
    BlueSkyz
    Karenwm
    SusieMac1957
    Jeremy Fisher
    ClemFlo
    LR800
    Eowyn
    Kevlondon and Mrs Kev
    Scubado
    Lulu16
    Shammy
    sunshine-girl !!!
    Beattie66
    2eviltwins
    Violinist ( Catherine)
    Sarah 1968
    Angelsand
    Lecurie
    Choccybuttons
    Sonz
    AnnieW
    Sixturkeys
    Urchin
    Delabodge( Clive)
    Calliope Swan
    O2BSkinny
    Ghudugi
    PSL68
    EclecticRajistani !!!
    Lily
    Luella
    Mumof4in France
    GardeningChef
    Gill33UKS
    Squidge !!
    No more banquets
    Weightykaty
    Petiteketo
    Humphrey1
    The other me
    AMZ !!!!!!!
    Gooner
    Justjudy

Please tell me if I inadvertently missed someone off !

Julz, I too am sad that we haven’t heard from Rosyapple . I never gave up hope that EclecticRajistan would come back ….and look what happened !

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy, congratulations on your 2nd BSD anniversary 🎆🎉. Your focus and determination is inspirational. We all need to remember that this is a life style choice and not a quick fix and that by taking it one week at a time, the whole thing feels less daunting.

I’m happy to walk part of the way with you this week, but as most of you will know, it’s looking like our travels will start on Saturday, after which I won’t be around much. However, checking in on the weekly thread until we leave home, will make sure I don’t do anything stupid, resulting in my start the trip with a weight increase.

As Wendy says, we all deserve to be healthy, we ARE all worth it and we absolutely deserve to be the best versions of ourselves.

Wishing you all a good week and hope to be reading of good results from you soon.

• posted by SunnySideUp
    on

Hello Wendy, SunnyB and all others!

Congratulations, Wendy!!! Many thanks for your inspiration!

I’m returning to the forums after about five months of maintenance. I did pretty well until mid-summer. Then I was too relaxed and slowly slipped into having a bit too much of food and drink – and alas, my weight and waist increased a bit too much to be ignored!

I know I need to be careful or I’ll be back to where I started. Today I began filling in my food diary again and decided to check in here to make a commitment.

My goals for this week:

– make better food choices
    – register everything I eat
    – 14:10 or at least 12:12

• posted by Lily
    on

Here!

Thanks for the new week thread Wendleg and yes, happy anniversary!

I did not manage to stick to 800 calories or low carb today. I didn’t feel well for most of the day (no sympathy deserved, it was a self inflicted carb hangover) and I felt sorry for myself. I think it’s probably going to be overly ambitious to reduce the calorie count straight out of the gate, so for the rest of this week I’m going to focus on getting my carb count right down instead. Cut out the carbage. When I saw that word in your anniversary post I thought it was a typo to start with—then realised it wasn’t. Great word! Anyway, I know I’ll feel loads better once I’ve taken out the carbage. So that’s my main aim for the rest of the week.

Sunnyb, agreed, we absolutely are worth it!

And welcome back SunnySideUp. Sounds like you did amazingly well and I’m sure you’ll be on top of things again in no time. 🙂

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Congratulations Wendy on being healthier for 2 years ..👏😊
    Welcome back SunnySideUp you can do this 😊👍
    I’m in for another week/ month/ year .
    I didn’t quite make it to my goal of 62 kilos but not to worry I’m plodding along..
    We are off to Uluru/ Ayres Rock in a week and a half for the weekend so hopefully I’ll be down to the 62kilos by then.
    I heard such a weird thing the other night when at a friend’s house for dinner..one of our friends said he’d cut down on carbs, he has cut out rice etc (although he ate quite a large amount of it while we there🙃) he then said he eats toast with most of his meals because…wait for it…when you toast bread it cuts out all the carbs😂
    I tried unsuccessfully to tell him that was BS..but he was quite adamant..
    stay safe, happy and healthy 😊🖐️

• posted by weightykaty
    on

Feeling excited for first time … I’ve never managed to lose weight and part of me thinks I never will but I really believe in this diet . Any tips to avoid afternoon snacking ? I do know the more protein I have at lunch the better I am but still feel need to snack ..I don’t usually have breakfast so that could be why but never hungry before lunch. Should I eat when not hungry on this diet..? Any help really appreciated as was going to try doing just 2 meals a day …

• posted by EC
    on

Happy day one Springtime to all in the southern hemisphere and Autumn to those in the north!
    Only 2 degrees C when I set out just after 8am, but the wattle and magnolias are out and the swallows and plovers are swooping. Saw one of the resident platypus on my morning walk (I must admit the ducks did look a little perturbed when s/he dived right under them!!)- a lot to be glad for!
    Wendy, I’m glad your son and his girlfriend managed to get out of Melbourne (don’t get me wrong-it’s my second favourite Aus city but no the place to be right now!!) although thankfully virus numbers are coming down. Hope you’re doing OK Merry M
    Wendy, where in Tas are your husbands daughter and family?

Lily-thanks for your honest post a couple of days back -I think there’s a lot we can all relate to.

WindyJulz-I’m with you re broccoli (or any greens really) Since our farmers market have started doing online veggie boxes I was getting less broccoli so ordered an extra weekly “brassica box”-now getting lots of broccoli, and also LOTS of brussels sprouts (which I like, but struggle to eat 1/2 kg of!!!) We’re also really fortunate to get locally grown shiitake mushrooms which are great in my miso soup.

Anyhow-very glad to report that not only am I feeling back on track food wise, but have slept way better that last two nights!!-makes SUCH a difference.
    and happy to report two more NSVs! I wore a jacket today that used to be (very) snug over a jumper and it was very roomy. Also ordered a beautiful (read quite pricey!) linen shirt online size M and had to exchange for a Small! (to be honest its a roomy style and I think this brand tends to larger sizes, but still…..)

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks for the new thread Wendy and congrats on your BSD anniversary!
    I will try to check in here and there. I am currently homeless and moving between staying with work colleagues and family, so it has been a bit difficult diet-wise, but I’m trying my best. Lots of work to do once I get into my new place, so that will keep me quite busy and active.
    EC – thanks for thinking of me, and hope things are going well for you.

• posted by Verano
    on

Happy Anniversay Wendy …. here’s to continued health.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Thanks Wendy and Sunny.
    I’m in for sure!
    Happy 2 yearsaversary Wendy – top job and thank you for continuing to support others!

Well I took a brave pill and stepped on the scales today….first time since 8th August, Ive been in denial, this was a big step! Early August was a bit “relaxed” and late august was difficult….and I’m up half a stone….BUT – its Tuesday and i stopped weighing on a Tuesday ages ago as Saturdays were much kinder so its probably only 5lbs…… and I know how to mend that! So here we go, new week, new month and lots of motivation! And amazingly i will not let this derail me.

EC – I’m glad its not just me with the broccoli, though I dont think i’m ready for sprouts in my life…. I might need to work on that! Cant believe that the things my body asks for is lettuce, broccoli and salt! Wierd!
    Arcticfox – you are so nearly in your new home, so exciting although for sure stressful and difficult when you are not in control!
    Weightkaty (bless ya but also LOL) – dont worry about breakfast, an extended fast until lunchtime is reccomended and eating breakfast wont make any difference to afternoon snacking. First thing – snax are habbits, recognise that and see it as a habit you need top break. Make sure you get plenty good fat and protein at lunch to see you through. Plan an earlier dinner for a wee while and then you can just think its only an hour or 2 til supper time, I can do this! And if you need something….. coffee is a good starting point! A handful of nuts if you MUST! Best of luck!

Lily – you are spot on – clean the carbs out first and worry about the 800 calories after. If you need more of the right calories to help you make the right choices (evil carbs – down with them!!) then have more of the right ones. You can do this, you deserve this and you will learn so much along the way!

Hi-five to sunnysideup! I am with you on the ‘fix it now before the good work is undone’ quest! We got this!! Here’s to a good week!

Julz

• posted by SunnyB
    on

💐🎉💖Congratulations Wendy …. two years well spent …. your achievements are an inspiration to so many.
    WaityKaty, Julz is right, the snacking is probably more habit than hunger. If you know it is hunger, take her advice about increasing protein and fat at lunch and that should get you through. I do remember though in perhaps week 4 or 5, having bad hunger pangs mid afternoon and my answer to this was the allow myself a tablespoon of full fat greek yogurt and a few seeds or nuts. The phase soon passed, when my body made whatever adjustment it needed to at the time.
    Lily, your planned approach makes good sense. You’ll soon get in the swing of things and eventually the 800 will fall into place.
    Waitaminute, afraid that story about the toast made me laugh … it’s amazing what people will believe. When in India, I explained at one B&B that I was trying to avoid carbs, so they kindly served me a rice porridge, which the patron told me didn’t contain carbs.
    Arcticfox, just do your best for now, you have enough more stressful things going on right now. Once you are in your new home you can make a new start.
    SunnySideUp, welcome back. I’m sure you will soon be back in the groove.
    Okay, better get on with the day … have a good one everyone.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys,

I am around for the week as well, but may be limited on time later in the week, am at the watching weather forecasts to see about haymaking. – I know its late but in Wales we didn’t get the prolonged good weather they had in England in August and in July my tractor was laid up after the brakes failed and she had to be pulled out of the bank I used to stop her.

My plan for this week is to pick up my wooden spoon and head towards the new Dr Bikman website. https://www.insuliniq.com/ He is part of a team setting up a new pay to join an online support system for Insulin control. It goes into beta testing starting today so people can join what will be the premium account for free. – Most of it is still listed as coming soon, so I guess that the beta testing may last longer than the 1 month currently proposed.

They do have a chat facility where you can ask questions of the team. – Thats were I have already headed with my wooden spoon. I think the area where we need support and advice is for middleaged women who have been yoyo dieting in a high carb world for decades so we are left with a high background level of Insulin and IR body structures. – Just cutting out the carbs while we get down towards our target weight isn’t enough to heal that. I was disappointed with Dr Bikmans book. – I had expected it to incorporate more on the science to shed light on the solution to that problem, but it is instead written at a high (superficial) level. Dare I say it but I think this is an opportunity for those of us who have been following this path for a long time and struggle to move into maintenance without staying keto to ask for the information / research / on improving IR which is the missing piece of the jigsaw.

• posted by caronl
    on

Many congratulations wendleg on your second anniversary. I can’t believe two years have passed since I posted a welcome message to you. And thank you for all that you do for this website. You are a fantastic motivator.

Lily – so pleased you are sticking with our crowd. We shall be cheering you on. I started very much with the same approach of cutting out the carbs, and moved onto calorie counting after a couple of months. Cutting the carbs is key to defeating “hunger” and resetting the system IMHO.

SunnyB best wishes for the holiday.
    JGwen, I hope you were unscathed from the tractor incident???!!
    Julz, I like your idea of a brave pill!
    Sunnysideup, welcome back. I’m with you on the logging.

I am re-committing (again!…) to this thread and Countdown to Christmas. My main change this week is going to be weighing and logging everything – particularly to bear down on portion creep. Have a good week everyone.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.
    Happy Anniversary Wendleg.Im starting this week with more determination. Carb addiction and late night snacks are an ongoing issue.It turned back to winter today so I went out to walk around the shopping centre for an hour or so.I can’t go to the gym at the moment as I damaged my hips rocking my grandson on Sunday.At 8 weeks old and he has bad colic ,needing a lot of rocking and pacing. I could hardly move on Monday morning.He is my motivation to get healthy and be a really active grandmother
    He makes me realize how bad my fitness needs work.Can any recommend a utube that gives an action plan to deal with the addiction?bread is the main problem.Hope we all have a positive week

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Wendy, happy 2nd anniversary.

Re tractor incident. – I took out a gate post in my first attempt to stop her, and ended up driving her onto a bank with hedge on top to stop. – She was at such a steep angle that I couldn’t reach the ground from the bottom step as I climbed out the cab. But it stopped her, and I was just shaken by the experience. – Lost one window in the cab, it just popped out but is intact. Slight extra dent at the front, but just another war wound for her, she is 41 years old.

I am so glad I changed my plans on the order of fields I was going to work in, the hedge line in the other field wouldn’t have stopped her so then is would be down a field which is too steep to safely take a tractor on, through a hedge, 10 foot drop onto the road. – Don’t think I would have come out of that too well.

I didn’t have a lot of good words to say when I found out the cause of the problem. – Someone at some point had done a botch job on a corroded brake pipe,

• posted by Stephen J
    on

Good to hear this. It chimes with my experience. I was 111 kg in September 2018 (66 yrs old; massively overweight, with lots of meds). I started the BSD on 4th Sept that year; having been told to lose weight for my second total knee replacement. I successfully lost 20 kg and had the op in Sept 2019 (btw went for a walking holiday in the Lake District only 7 weeks after the op, something that was unimaginable before). I have hovered between 91 and 94 kilos since pretty much the beginning of 2019; and have decided to re-start the diet for the next 8 weeks – want get below obesity BMI numbers! Next stop, 85 kilos and maybe if I keep going, down even further. For anyone thinking of doing the diet, keeping a daily spreadsheet of your weight, BMI, waist measurements, weight lost, etc.. was invaluable for me – it does get a bit obsessive! I also kept a food diary for the first year, counting the daily amount. I don’t do that any more; and feel I know exactly what pushes the weight back up. Stephen in Somerset.
    Best wishes to everyone on or about to embark on BSD. It works!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

JGwen!!!!! Yikes!!!!! I have tractor envy (would so love to get ourselves a tractor) but as a safety professional…… yikes!!!!! That is super scary!! Well done aiming up a bank!!

Butterlover…… There are loads of good resources on carb addiction….. as a start have a look here: https://www.nlplifetraining.com/How-to-Stop-Food-Cravings-Instantly

But google Carb Addiction adn possible NLP as well and you shoud find some things to help.
    I’m a carb addict, bread was my carb of choice….. but honestly now, I’m past it and ive trained my brain reasonable, to feel freaked out by too much sugar or carbs! If videos of cake making of cake decorating pop up on my facebook I watch in horror…..!

• posted by weightykaty
    on

Thank you SO much for your replies – you are so right about afternoon snacks being from habit and boredom!! But I need to remember this at the time!! What sort of fats could I have more if at lunch – cheese??? I’ve a feeling it should be limited due to calories. Apart from avocado is there anything else? Nuts on salad ? Eggs ? Feel motivated that you prove that the carb cravings go or lessen eventually …. keep up the good work everyone!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Another week everyone. I am happy with my results and my determination over the weekend. I have lost just under 3lbs which is not bad as it is not like I have not been on the diet before, I just keep slipping up at weekends. Total loss on this particular effort is 5lbs (2 weeks worth). Interested that diabetes is front page of a national newspaper with the 800 calorie shakes and soup diet. Listening to Jeremy Vine this morning people just dont get it. The reason for soups and shakes in a trial is that it can be fully controlled and they know exactly what people are eating. If you told someone to go on 800 cals of real food they probably wouldnt know where to start or even stick with it. It seems we are the experts at that. Lets hope the trials go well and it gets to be the norm for diabetics not to be told to carb load.
    Daughter is still doing well and lost 7lbs in week one but has not been to the toilet for 7 days. I think she will explode or lose another 7lbs when she finally goes. Not looking for advice as she has done everything, chia, eggs (they make her go), mobidan (never heard of it and probably spelt it wrong), a long run and so on. I keep telling her it will happen soon……
    Thought she had gone out for the last chance at the £10 off meal deals last night when I saw her Life360 log her at the local shopping mall but turns out she was at the cinema watching Tenet – wont say what she thought of it.
    Have a good new week everyone and thanks to Wendleg for setting it up.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Katy, afraid all fat has a calorie impact, but a little cheese is a good option as is avocado, so are nuts and seeds … it’s all about moderation. If you have salad for lunch, you could add some oil based dressing, or maybe scramble eggs and cook them with butter. Oily fish is a good option too … salmon, mackerel, sardines, trout etc. Once you get into the rhythm of things, it will all start to become second nature.

• posted by caronl
    on

Well done sunshine-girl!

• posted by JGwen
    on

weightykaty,

When I used to work in an office, then taking a break by stopping and having a coffee, or a snack was considered acceptable, while just going for a walk wasn’t. So I got into the metal habit of equating eating or drinking with breaking from work.

How about starting off by swapping having a snack with having a drink of water? You know its not physical hunger driving you to eat at that point, and breaking free from eating when you are not hungry is part of the changes you need to make.

While you have your sips of water, take the time to think, you are craving something but its not physical hunger, so what is it you need? Now I work from home I can go for a walk, play a game of suduko, or even pace while I am working out the text I want to write.

• posted by peanutbutty
    on

Hi everyone, hope it’s okay for me to join this thread. I’ve lost and kept off 14 kilos (bit over two stone) over last few years dipping in and out of this way of eating, though never done the “full” 800 cals for more than a fortnights consecutively.

But I do come in and read the forum posts every now and then to keep on track and see what everyone is up to. Hope that doesn’t sound too stalker-ish 😉

Now that I’ve stabilised my weight and happy I wont put it all back on, I’d love to lose another 10 kilos (roughly stone and a half) which would put me firmly back in healthy BMI with a bit to spare. Lockdown has (as I’m sure for many) been a bit of a wake up call healthwise, and although I’ve managed to not put on weight I have noticed a big increase in snacking on sugary stuff, and seem to be craving doughnuts constantly.

I’m going to try 800 cals for a few weeks and see how that feels, while lowering my carbs again – as a veggie I don’t beat myself up trying to get under 50g every single day and certainly not 20g, though I have seen people on here who have managed that amazingly well. However I will be trying to get as close to 50g as possible and certainly not white/ sugary/ jammy carbs.

• posted by JGwen
    on

It has been brought to my attention that some of Dr Unwin’s work to assist doctors in the NHS raising awareness of the sugar levels in breakfast cereals has been removed from the NICE guidelines. The reason is linked by businesses trying to push the NHS to not endorse low carb diets.

There is a petition in the UK to get the regulators to re=instate a graph which shows the level of sugar in common breakfast cereals. –

https://www.change.org/p/national-institute-for-health-and-care-excellence-reinstate-dr-david-unwin-s-sugar-infographics-as-a-nice-endorsed-resource-reinstateunwin?signed=true

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for flagging that JGwen, I gave signed the petition. It’s time corporations were stopped from influencing health guidance.

• posted by mumofStig
    on

wendleg, Please add me to the list.
    My diet went to pot a bit at the start of lockdown, it’s very depressing when you live on your own 🙁 I only put back on a couple of kg, fortunately I know what to do to get back on track, now. Weighed in this morning at 69kg, so still in healthy BMI range, but my knees prefer me to be a bit lighter :D.
    I tried to get into ketosis last week, but felt really unwell, so not for me! I seem to be ok as long as I keep carbs below 50 and still lose weight – so I suppose that’s the main thing.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all,
    What a lot of activity on the thread already! Logging in to find 26 unread posts is a bit like Christmas 🎄. Lovely to read all your posts and see so much determination. 💪
    I’m doing ok, have lost 0.5 kg over the last week. Am feeling like I’m in the zone so am almost through a 24 h fast, soon to be broken by a hot chili con carne that has been sitting in the slow cooker all day.
    Hi Peanutbutty be and welcome! I think we are in similar situations. I’ve lost 15 kg and would love to loose another 10 to be on the safe side of a healthy BMI. Let’s do this!
    I know that for me this will not happen quickly, but I’m thinking that a slow steady loss is just what my body needs to be able to keep up with the change.
    I’m as always focusing on keeping carbs low, not counting calories but keeping an eye on portion size, and practice time restricted eating (TRE), mainly 16:8 or 18:6.
    Have a good week!

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hi all,

Wendy congratulations on your BSD birthday and your continued support.

After nailing the Fast 800 back in February and March, I really let myself go over the summer. I was going to start again in July and August but kept making excuses. My main issues are crisps and booze. So I’m knocking both on the head today and am hoping by the end of September I can shift some of the weight I have put back on.

Come on everyone, we can do it!!

• posted by Britta
    on

Hello all,
    Just checking in after the summer holidays. I managed to get through those with only a minor weight gain (which I put on during a relapse after I came back from holiday?!) so that is good. Next part of the plan is to lose those last 10 kg. I can’t quite mobilise the kind of commitment and pace I had in early lockdown when I stuck to the 800 calories because I thought I was dieting to save my life… so I’ll stick with 5:2 instead of 800 calories. If I can lose something like 1,5 lbs a week on average, I’ll get there in time for Christmas I reckon. There just doesn’t seem to be much going on on the 5:2 thread so I’m thinking I’ll stick with the weekly thread. Hope you all have a good week!

• posted by Mssamd9
    on

Good morning everyone!

I have started my BSD as of yesterday! And surprisingly it went well. I am working off the books. I have previously partaken in the online program FAST800 too but i didnt make it the whole way, so heres to trying again!

Its inspiring reading how many people have had success and kept going.

I look forward to reading more 🙂 x

• posted by wendleg
    on

This is a message for EC…my husband’s daughter is married to a Tassie and they have 2 young children. They live in Nugent.When we were there I remember the nearest town was Sorrell..along lots of grit roads which seemd a bit skiddy !!! Hubby’s daughter works as Human Resources manager at the Mures restaurant in Hobart ( not an easy job right now !) The fish in Tasmania was out of this world, the air so pure, the apples sold in little roadside cabins …the space, the landscape..the beautifully quiet beaches …and of course your mountain ! We were blown away by Tas ! I just found the MONA gallery in Hobart a bit dark . I like to be uplifted not scared !!!
    My son gets tested for Covid in the hotel tomorrow and then if all is well they fly out of Brisbane to Cairns on Monday. I will be relieved as will they .

• posted by Gooner
    on

Hi all

After receiving the text message on Friday from my GP Informing me that my hbca1 is “similar” to last year, I managed to speak to him yesterday.

The extra detail is that the figure is 42. So I mentioned that it’s exactly the same as last year then. He told me “no you were 43 last year”. So that was a bit of shock! He offered a little advice to start some exercise and cut out the obvious junk foods. I told him about BSD but he said stick to the basics. But I stressed that I have definitely been eating better than I was this time last year and the hbca1 hasn’t shifted much.

I’ve managed a couple of days of mainly sticking to BSD. Hopefully will pick up some exercise soon although chronic back pain doesn’t help.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone and thank you for your good wishes. 2 years..and I aint going anywhere 😉

Ooh Waitaminute…Uluru ..that’s a special place I would love to see one day !

I do remember reading something about cold potatoes, rice etc producing resistant starch but never that toasting bread cuts out the carbs. JGwen may know more. We love hearing your research findings, JGwen. And please do take care on your tractor ! You are a phenomenon, !

Weightykaty…of course you can discard weight and you don’t have to define yourself as ‘weighty’.Just believe in yourself. It takes time and determination but you can do it.This programme works.About afternoon snacking..it’s tricky.Easy to say just don’t and maybe plan out your meals so you are anticipating something delicious and keep hydrated in between. Healthy snacks are a boiled egg, a few nuts ( I said just a few..I’m guilty of over eating nuts !) Or just a nice herbal tea, and hang on in there . Sometimes if you distract yourself the urge for a snack passes because you are not really hungry. If you are at work it’s easy not to snack, not so at home. Just read JGwen’s very good advice too about breaking habits .

Welcome back SunnySideUp ! Well done for tackling the (upwards slide )

Definitely Lily…concentrate on keeping the carbs low . You don’t need too much pressure right now.Allow the good habits to establish themselves . Don’t rush, don’t panic. I was so excited to see freshly picked broccoli in the farm shop yesterday. I don’ t just love lettuce , Lily.I love all greens !

All the best articfox …you will soon be in your new home and at least the worst is over….the sale is completed and you have the excitement of the future on your farm ! Check in when you can so we know you are ok.

All the best for this week Butterlover.Sorry about your hips but I must say I would love a grandchild to rock ! Fortunately I had a new hip in 2017 so I will be fine 😉 I am totally with you on the need to discard weight to get healthy. I wanted to be able to run after my grandkiddies ( when they happen..one day..) and wish I had found this programme years ago.I messed about for so long but it’s never too late. As far as food addiction and cravings are concerned I have a lot of respect for Zoe Harcombe who recovered from an eating disorder and talks a lot of sense
    Why Do You Overeat? When All You Want Is To Be Slim ? was one of her books I found usefiul
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ZoeHarcombe

Hi Stephen in Somerset ! Well done on your success so far and all the best as you proceed onwards and downwards ! You are on the list !

Well done SG…and hope your daughter gets relief soon. That is wretched. Has she tried psyllium husk in water ? That worked post op for me.

Hi peanutbutty ! Are you a Northerner ? 😉 We say butty in the Midlands too  Welcome and glad you decided to join us .I bet there are loads of people ‘ stalking’ as you say ! We are very welcoming and all the best to you. Well done on the maintenance but I would definitely ditch the donuts !! Beware of that insiduous call from the toxic substance that is sugar.

mumofStig..you too are on the list. You sound in a pretty good place re motivation and addressing damage limitation.I am doing the same as it is still easy for me to over eat healthy stuff .

You are doing fine too Olive and I think you are right keeping things steady and sustainable now.I like to incorporate a fasting period into my week too.

Welcome back Russianroulade ! You are definitely doing the right thing addressing the situation now to prevent a slippery upwards slope.Maybe think of crisps as processed junk with no nutritional value ?? Easy to say I suppose especially if they are a snacky thing with a drink. I would say roast a few almonds, bake kale crisps which would definitely be healthier and don’t buy the crisps ! They are not your friends Russianroulade !

Good to see you back on the thread, Britta.You know what works for you.I saw that there are 18 weeks to the end of the year .You could discard those 10 kgs in that time.Hope to keep you motivate d on here anyway if the 5.2 thread is quiet.

Hi Mssamd9 and welcome ! You are on the list too.If you have any queries just shout out.

So I hope everyone is having a good day. A special thought for parents with kids going back to school , hopefully not too anxious.I must say I am quite enjoying retirement ! 😉
    Please check in Amz and Rosyapple !!

on

Hi all, stuck at Mondays weight but not worried as I know it will come off soon. Not actually done much exercise (make that any) since Sunday so that might affect it. I have had a swim today even though the water was freezing. Better get used to it as it is not going to get any warmer. And yes, I do know how lucky I am.
    Wendleg I too remember hearing about cold carbs like rice and potatoes and, yes, toast was included in it. But to say it makes it free from carbs is just nonesense, it makes it less insulin resistant or something like that.
    I am surrounded by people with pooh problems, daughter still not been and now hubby is stuck. Just because I used to be a nurse doesnt make me their nursemaids. I just say, as a joke, write it all down and work it out with a pencil. You might need to be a nurse to understand that joke.
    Hey ho, Wednesday already – even though we dont do anything any more I still find time passes quickly. Hopefully, it will continue up to our trip at Christmas (if it happens). Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Gooner
    on

Third day running where I have stuck to the plan for most of the day. But i tend to fall off on the last meal of the day.
    Kids returning to school soon might help lol

Looking to start running soon. I’m sure if I get out there a few times it will become enjoyable and something I can hopefully stick to!

How has everyone’s day been?

• posted by EC
    on

Hi Wendy
    Yes, I know Nugent (mostly from drives up to the beautiful East Coast!) -and Maria Island in particular. (I spent two years researching the fascinating history of this island, off an island state, off an island continent for a show I wrote some years back) so know the area well!

And Mures is such a Tasmanian icon!! In fact it was sitting outside Mures eating a smoked fish and salad sandwich, watching all the fishing boats come in, that convinced me to instigate the move to Tassie from country NSW almost 30 years ago (with five very small children in tow!!)!!
    Glad your son and his partner are closer to their destination-The NT is a bit like here and currently COVID free so should be a relief after poor Melbourne.

MONA can be dark but also has some very vibrant and joyful exhibitions such as a Mexican inspired one a couple of years back-and it’s a glorious setting (I always start at the top floor -for some reasons seems gentler introduction to the works!)

Anyhow, hopefully we can meet when you finally make it back to the southern states-when we can all travel and visit one another once more!
    xxx

• posted by EC
    on

and hello to all

sunshine-girl, I’ve had the opposite to your family!! Unusually for me, I’ve been struck by a tummy bug and, without going into the gory details, have virtually been on an enforced fast! Made it (just) through two online meetings, but postponed the face to face one! Had the fevers and chills/body aches yesterday, so hopefully on the mend now…. (and sg… I’m not a nurse, but I do get your joke 😉 )

JGwen, your tractor incident sounds terrifying-glad you’re OK (and obviously VERY competent!)

While I was bemoaning my crampy tum last night, we watched a few episodes of a series call (Un)Well on netflix
    There was one on fasting which while, in some ways nothing new, but an interesting approach. They presented both sides of the argument (for/against) without any conclusion or interpretation presented by the team….leaving all open to the viewer’s interpretation.

Wishing you all a great end-of- the week!
    xxxx
    Erin

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Good morning all.
    Wee up date, having stood on the scales and fessed up to the damage on Tueaday, well this morning I am down 1.5lbs which given i felt as if i could / should have been a little stricter Tue / Wed is great to see, restoring my faith in myself and the system! ITs got me motivated for today and tomorrow which is great and i know I have a busy weekend planned (and hubby is out photographing on Saturday) which will help me stay on track……..hurrah to easing of lock down and horse competitions being able to start to resume!
    Interestingly (or not) I am a little bunged up also….not unduly worried tho, I’ll eat more broccoli which makes me happy….. and Sunshine-girl, my mum was one for a questionable joke, and an early one i seem to remember (at far to early an age) involved a constipated mathematician and working it out with a pencil! So you have made me smile this morning.

Hope your feeling better EC, enforced fasts are no fun!

Gooner, I feel you, evenings and evening meals are difficult….. the temptation to relax and keep eating is high, I do try to make sure i go outside and move after dinner, it draws a line in the eating and makes me realise that i am actually full. If i need something after than it is black decaff or fizzy water. And with the running – go for it! You wont regret it and as the weight drops off it does get easier….although I would never say it is “fun”, i do feel great afterwards……that said, i havent run for a week – must fix that!! Friday plan!!

on

Grrrrrr still weigh the same as Monday – I know something is bound to happen as I really have been 100% on it and 35 mins swim yesterday. Just found out we have a child at the local village school diagnosed with Covid. The school must have picked it up straightaway as the schools only opened on Tuesday and I heard of this on Wednesday from a neighbour who is a reliable source as she is related to most people in the village. Apparently the child was on holiday in Toulouse and probably contracted it there. Dont know what they are doing i.e. with the school, closing it, testing, no idea. There is also another case of a child with Covid near Bordeaux, visited 2 water theme parks and 88 other people had been in contact. So who says children dont get it or carry it.
    Update on daughter – a couple of little toilet results but she has now lost 4.2kg in under 2 weeks. She has stopped comparing with partner as he has reached his goal and adding food in – he only had around 5kg to lose and that went in week one. Just hope he doesnt have a backslide although he has always been very fit – football coach, rugby player etc.
    Sun is shining again and it is time for a swim – trying to add extra minutes now as I might not get many more opportunities so want to make the most of it. Bon continuation.

• posted by Lily
    on

Finally back on the Keto wagon! It took quite a few false starts but I did it! As previously trailed, not worrying about sticking to 800 cals for now but tracking the lot anyway. About 1250 yesterday, 1300 today so far. And to speed the process I dropped to below 20g carb.

The thing that did it was a frankly scary BP reading. I wasn’t feeling well, so checked out my blood sugar (seemed fine), didn’t seem to have a temp. And then I thought to dig out my electronic sphygmomanometer. Eek. 166/97 at one point on a Monday. Enough to scare the **** out of me. Just did a new reading and it’s down to 145/85 already. And I feel quite a bit better. Phew.

Sorry the scales aren’t behaving, sunshine-girl. And sounds like Covid is a little close for comfort. 🙁

Windyjulz and EC—sorry to hear about the tummy woes. Hope everything moves on and away really quickly!

Gooner, hope you too have finally had a day where it “clicked”.

And Wendleg, thanks! Maybe one day I’ll get excited about broccoli! 😂

Keep on keeping on all!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Today has been busy with my first pilates class then a lot of furniture re arranging and cleaning.Aqua gym tonight . Tomorrow is a quiet day !
    Glad to hear you are back on track Julz and Lily ! Take care of yourself Lily. Glad your activities are getting back to normal, Julz. Broccoli makes me happy too 😉
    Yes, SG we heard Toulouse was a COVID hotspot so we are keeping well clear. Disturbing news about the children though.
    Glad your daughter has had some relief. Her weight discard in 2 weeks is a great result .It can’ t be easy having a hubby who has already reached target ..hopefully he can sustain it but she is right not to compare.

Yes, hope you are feeling better EC ( Erin) .My son and his partner got tested in the hotel today so fingers crossed for the result which will allow them to get on their flight to Cairns on Monday. Would love to meet up when we are next in Tas ( who knows when but it will happen one day ) My hubby hasn’t yet met his little grandson who will be two in March .
    Here’s to another day tomorrow folks and please check in when you can xx

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    EC, I’m from Tassie (Hobart) and moved to Northern Territory just as the virus started…all my family are in Tassie and we are hoping to move back next year, fingers crossed.
    I too love Mona and have been numerous
    times.
    Lots of activities here in the next few weeks with loads of tourists in town…from all over the place.
    I didn’t eat yesterday till 3pm and then had 2 boiled eggs with feta cheese and a few olives.. then dinner at 7pm was Greek yoghurt with berries and chia seeds.. wasn’t very hungry. Hubby had chips with his meal and I wasn’t even tempted 😁
    Going to be quite busy today so I probably won’t eat till later in the day again. I think the mindframe is definitely in the right place.
    Stay safe, happy and healthy 😊🖐️

on

Hi all, we are at the weekend already and that is when I have to be super good. A very small movement in my weight, just 0.1kg but enough to take me over the next pound when converted so I am happy that something is happening. Nice long swim yesterday and it is going to be quite hot here today (31) so will deffo be in the pool later.
    Have a good weekend all and keep on keeping on…

• posted by wendleg
    on

Would love to meet up with you one day in Tassie, too Waitaminute !
    My son will be able to check out of the Brisbane hotel on Monday mornig with police escort ! Hopefully he will be in Cairns with my elder son mid morning. Then it will e releif all round.
    Hope everyone is OK ? You’ve gone a bit quiet ? Is it because of back to school organisation ?
    Hope you have a good weekend .Yes, it’s gone warm again SG . Glad you are feeling positive with the changes on the scales xx

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I’m here, Wendy. Just a bit busy. Only 1 week now until I move into my new place. Finally got the insurance sorted today so that is a big weight off my mind.
    Struggling a bit food-wise with all the high carb temptations at my parents place. My mum has been on a baking spree. I will be glad to get back into my own place and be able to do my own food orders again. We are making and putting up salsa for winter today with the bounty of tomatoes out of the garden, so at least that will be something healthy to have with meals over the coming months.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,

Wendy, it would be fantastic to meet up with u, hopefully it won’t be too far into the new year.. I don’t think there’s any movement in the weight discard today..I didn’t drink as much water as I should have yesterday..so I’m making up for it today.
    The weather has definitely heated up here with the next ten days in the 30’s so it looks likely I’ll be swimming very soon..
    Stay happy, healthy and safe 😊🖐️

• posted by EC
    on

Waitaminute-shame we didn’t get to meet up when you were in Hobart!! (perhaps if/when you return!!-and with Wendy! what a treat!….NT would be a challenge for my heat intolerance even at this time of year!!…but the little I’ve seen of it was beautiful-love the red earth!)

I’m finally almost over my gastro bug…..that was truly a bit left field-not my normal type of unwell thankfully!!
    First day since Monday that I’ve had two meals and doing OK …also not wiped out by 8pm!!….at least no food slip ups to report, but certainly not much exercise either!
    I haven’t weighed recently but clothes are still getting looser. Interestingly, my belly looks less firm….does that mean that it’s about to “shed” further-or is that just wishfull thinking?!

arcticfox, i do wish you all the best with the move-a lot of work but a true new beginning!

spring is definitely having it’s day here….just noticed our plum tree is in full blossom (still getting through last summer’s chutney!!) and the magnolias everywhere are simply magnificent…..next will be the apples, apricots and blackcurrants…..I guess with no, or minimal events to organise this summer, there’ll be more time to tend the veggie garden

Enjoy the last of the weekend all

on

Hi everyone, another small movement in weight, just 0.2kg but another milestone as it takes me under another kilogram weight. I keep counting my weight loss from starting the 21 days with my daughter but in fact, I started a week before her, so I have lost 5lbs so far in the 2 weeks. I am well under my last doctor’s weigh in and have an appointment for the 15th so determined to get right down.
    I have noticed that since the weight loss I have lost the second chin but gained a bit of wobbly skin. So for the whole of September I am going to do the facial exercises from the Beverly Callard exercise CD. Taken a before photo so hope to be able to see a difference by the 30th Sept. Have a great weekend and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hello, been absent a couple of weeks as on holiday, yay, feeling refreshed now and we had lots of fresh air and exercise- my plan was to maintain not lose (or gain!!) whilst on hols which I managed so happy with that, but back home now so need to get back on the straight and narrow!! I’ve lost 2 stone now, and am delighted to be in the ‘overweight’ rather than ‘obese’ category now…..1 stone 3 to go to get to the top of my normal BMI….my goal is to get there before Christmas. And then decide what my next goal is.

Love to all xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.